Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

"CEO is too important for MFA"/"Bob in accounting is not important enough for MFA".

"There's an additional monthly associated with every MFA user*, so we need to only give to those that really need it."

* = whole company still on-prem for everything, nothing in Azure/cloud yet, so MFA was an additional monthly subscription cost per user**
** = 500 million euro per year multinational with 11 sites in 5 European countries***
*** = were crypto'd couple of months prior

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Arquinsiel posted:

"CEO is too important for MFA"/"Bob in accounting is not important enough for MFA".

They really don’t like it when they demand both of these at once and you try to tell them they’re contradictory statements.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

The Iron Rose posted:

We work with interesting poo poo guys! We can make sand talk to other sand halfway across the globe and create pretty pictures, or optimize new GMOs to improve crop yields, or perform facial recognition on a billion and a half people to create the world’s first cyberpunk dystopia. It’s loving cool!

I'm now getting an itch to start an inquisition. Does that count as self motivation?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

The Fool posted:

The application in question is TFE, each TFE workspace gets two teams, a read and a write, each TFE team has a corresponding app role so when someone logs in, they automatically have access to the correct workspaces

This resulted in 1255 app roles on the app registration.

I'm actually glad you encountered this and spoke up, I am designing some role provisioning right now for a university with a very hub-and-spoke distributed IT support model and I would've tripped that threshold.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Silly Newbie posted:

Response: please give me that in writing so I can properly attest to our cyber security insurance people.
The correct answer.

sixth and maimed posted:

"There's an additional monthly associated with every MFA user*, so we need to only give to those that really need it."

* = whole company still on-prem for everything, nothing in Azure/cloud yet, so MFA was an additional monthly subscription cost per user**
** = 500 million euro per year multinational with 11 sites in 5 European countries***
*** = were crypto'd couple of months prior
:negative:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

Actual arguments when trying to get MFA integrated with ADFS at my old job, eventually I won out but holy poo poo

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

I'm actually glad you encountered this and spoke up, I am designing some role provisioning right now for a university with a very hub-and-spoke distributed IT support model and I would've tripped that threshold.

The documentation says the limit is "about 1000" but we didn't have an issue until we hit 1255

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

klosterdev posted:

What on earth could posses a company to only want some of their users on MFA.

At least I got the risk acknowledgement in writing.

My previous company (major financial company, Super Bowl ad kind of big) is rolling out 100% optional mfa for clients this winter. There’s currently no plans to force it on anyone, and you only need a username and password to view your sensitive financial docs. Instead of convincing them how bad an idea it was, I quit and went somewhere else.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Fool posted:

One of the solutions put forward to replace this was to just manage team membership via api

On second thought this is dumb, I have 300 active devs using this piece of garbage why would voluntarily give myself any user management responsibilities when the iam team already does it

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Because you broke AAD? I would love to see what y’all are doing up close and personal because it sounds dumb as shid and I <3 trashfires

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The AAD thing and the setup of SSO for TFE aren't that big of a problem. It was only an issue because we hit a limit on app roles inside of an app registration, and MS didn't think anyone would seriously try to do that.

The real trash fire is in our onboarding process, and possibly our model for mapping application environments to TFE workspaces.

The onboarding process is this massive collection of pipelines and ansible playbooks that take an environment definition (yaml) and deploy the scaffolding around the app environment to enable app teams to deploy stuff without having to set any of it up themselves.

The onboarding process is what creates those app roles, and what broken when we hit the limit.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

in other news, I spent the last two weeks building out some certificate automation because "1-click renewal" is still too much for devs to handle

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

The Fool posted:

in other news, I spent the last two weeks building out some certificate automation because "1-click renewal" is still too much for devs to handle

To be entirely fair I’m with the devs on this one.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

To be entirely fair I’m with the devs on this one.

The cert lifecycle is managed with the rest of the infrastructure, it happens transparently if they do any infra changes within 30 days of the expiration

if there are no infra changes they can do an empty plan and apply

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

to be clear, the original design is not mine and I recently learned that one of the influences of that design was someone deciding to cheap out on venafi licenses

couple high profile outages later and someone found the money so now some luckless engineer has to come up with a plan to integrate the venafi solution into the existing infrastructure

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I found out the ISP I retired from in 2018 still uses the one click deployment technology that I codeveloped. Because it impacts millions of customers I was told that it’s not going away any time soon because it just loving works.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Nov 12, 2022

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

tango alpha delta posted:

I found out the ISP I retired from in 2018 still uses the one click deployment technology that I codeveloped. Because it impacts millions of customers I was told that it’s not going away any time soon because it just loving works.

That's an underlined, bolded and highlighted line on your resume from now until the end of time right there.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

yeah

if you built a thing that actually solved a problem, and also didn't cause more problems so the person coming behind didn't immediately want to replace it you are in the top 10%, easy

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
So,a little background:

I was a sysadmin for the entire build and deployment pipeline for about a thousand developers. One day, we met with the tech leads from every dev team and they asked for the impossible; the one click deploy. The idea was that a developer could ask our build server to deploy their compiled code to any environment (DEV/TST/PRE/PRD) with a single click and then the correct build agent or build runner would be automatically chosen to make that happen. And then there had to be some kind of confirmation that everything had worked as expected, with an easy to understand feedback system.

I co-created that. It was an incredibly difficult thing to make because it required a ton of manual testing. To discover in casual conversation that it has apparently worked very well for the last five years and that they still consider it the best method to update millions of customers internet access is very cool.

TLDR: i was one of those mythical sysadmins who really enjoyed making devs lives a lot easier. Some of them were pretty upset when I retired.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 12, 2022

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Microsoft, stop doing this poo poo with the stuff that companies pay to use

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

Microsoft, stop doing this poo poo with the stuff that companies pay to use

Time to rake in the points, since we rely on bing as stock search engine I think I can grab a free game pass monthly that way.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I think if I had to make any complaint about this InfoSec position, it'd be getting people to respond to my emails to be less like pulling teeth.

Also fully reading the emails I send, as well, before replying.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Reading emails is for nerds

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
poo poo pissing me off today: Me.

Specifically Past Me left one of my test servers in a horrifically broken state when I last used it two months ago.

Past Me is (was?) an rear end in a top hat. Don't be Past Me.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Specifically Past Me left one of my test servers in a horrifically broken state when I last used it two months ago.

We are all past you. We are the users we hate.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Look, it was a problem for Future You. It's not Past You's fault that Present You doesn't want to do the work given to you when Future You transformed.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

chin up everything sucks posted:

Look, it was a problem for Future You. It's not Past You's fault that Present You doesn't want to do the work given to you when Future You transformed.
Future Me is a lazy gently caress, Past Me keeps assigning him tasks and Present Me gets stuck doing them at the last second.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I think if I had to make any complaint about this InfoSec position, it'd be getting people to respond to my emails to be less like pulling teeth.

Also fully reading the emails I send, as well, before replying.

I'm surprised you didn't mention something about reading the entire email before replying.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Che Delilas posted:

I'm surprised you didn't mention something about reading the entire email before replying.

:manning::mildpanic::nsamad::orks:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Got a clock radio as my bedroom alarm and I woke up to an NPR report this morning saying the state of Michigan was hiring Deloitte to replace their unemployment insurance system (which wrongfully accused ~60k people of fraud and also caused yours truly to have to drive an hour to file an affidavit in person to attest that I did not claim unemployment benefits). My immediate thought was this thread's title.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
Day 16 after losing access to slack. Teams suck.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

i am a moron posted:

Because you broke AAD? I would love to see what y’all are doing up close and personal because it sounds dumb as shid and I <3 trashfires

Where do you work at? I spent all day Thursday creating some tickets, change requests, filled out the forms, etc. to phase out a Mac OS app by the end of the year. When someone looked at my request today they told me I need to create a packaging request with another group so a Mac uninstaller can be created. I did this but alas, all was cancelled as I don't "own" the product. I think that guy quit the company last year.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

RoboBoogie posted:

Day 16 after losing access to slack. Teams suck.

I hear that although I wish I could get people to use anything other than text messages. It's so bad that i'm like "ah...an email...this is food to me starving for anything other than SMS"

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

strangehamster posted:

Where do you work at? I spent all day Thursday creating some tickets, change requests, filled out the forms, etc. to phase out a Mac OS app by the end of the year. When someone looked at my request today they told me I need to create a packaging request with another group so a Mac uninstaller can be created. I did this but alas, all was cancelled as I don't "own" the product. I think that guy quit the company last year.

Please fill out a change of app ownership form, attesting and affirming that you, your manager, and your manager's golf buddy take full and complete responsibility for anything bad that will happen now and forevermore. You also take responsibility for the app, I guess?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

strangehamster posted:

Consulting ohhhhh yeaaaaaaaaaaaa

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
No, I am not going to attend a training in person that can just as easily be done virtually. I understand most of the country has elected not to care about covid anymore, but I do. Go away.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

i am a moron posted:

Consulting ohhhhh yeaaaaaaaaaaaa

Is business good? Can I take people out to fancy restaurants for lunch and charge them for it? Kinda my dream job.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

strangehamster posted:

Is business good? Can I take people out to fancy restaurants for lunch and charge them for it? Kinda my dream job.

Business is booming. I’ve been to some country clubs and concerts with clients, but tbh you’re mostly going to do that as a salesperson. Technical people get opportunities but it’s not, like, a huge part of the job

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Here's a bit of Friday good news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Thanks Ants posted:

Here's a bit of Friday good news