Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Crazy Ted posted:

128-team tournament
No group stage
All knockout rounds

No seeding, completely random draw.

joepinetree posted:

Yeah. From 2026 onward, CONCACAF gets 6 spots in the WC, plus 2 spots in the playoffs for the last 2 spots. I can't even imagine how bad a team has to be to fall out of the top 8 in CONCACAF.

It's one of the reasons I'm happy Canada qualified for this one. It wasn't the hex, but at least the spots were limited and they earned one. By destroying everyone too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

FIFA can just gently caress off and I don't think this will be the last world cup I won't be watching. Saw some of the ITV documentary on Qatar tonight and it's downright heartbreaking the poo poo they've done to workers and people involved in promoting the country on the international stage even.

--

e: I realise from a hypocrisy perspective there were plenty of things I could have drawn a line in the sand for with the World Cup being in Russia or South Africa hell even Brazil. Which would be fair but that doesn't make my current disgust less valid and I wear I could have been this disgusted sooner.

This to both this. I didn't know what it'd take to make me not watch a world cup but it's apparently exactly this much.

ilmucche posted:

Are there really only 2 places fans are allowed to drink outside the stadiums?

Yep, and the non-paid for one holds about 3% of the number of people travelling to the world cup.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Can't wait until @BritishLad88 beats the poo poo out of some local because he couldn't buy cans

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

the sex ghost posted:

Have you not all considered the fact that David Beckham and idk one of the other rent a stars on FIFAs books went there and said it was great and it was going to be the biggest party of all time. How many caps have these troublemaking journalists and migrant workers got. Not many I bet

Old post but it was Franz Beckenbauer and his Wikipedia page under the FIFA ban section is certainly something. I thought he was the German guy who got a watch from the Qatari government but I might be mixing him up with Uli Hoeness

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the only good famous ex-footballer is eric cantona, who has called qatar "not a real world cup"

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Weaponized Cum posted:

Can't wait until @BritishLad88 beats the poo poo out of some local because he couldn't buy cans
He'll fracture some guy's skull in a swank Qatari club over something really minor and it turns out the victim's a member of the extended Qatari royal family.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Can't believe people's mouths aren't watering at the prospect of the opening match, Qatar v Ecuador. Phwoar!

Ecuaphwoar?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Don't worry, those mouths will be watering at the stadium...because the stadium will have run out of water...because this is a gigantic shitshow.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Saying it like the Sash track

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Whoops

Hundreds of Heathrow staff to strike in run-up to Fifa World Cup

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
https://twitter.com/ConnorAndrewsTS/status/1588645267427176449?t=Y6NMCiSTHlKb0dwbsUA7gA&s=19

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Saying it like the Sash track

Lmao

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
It's currently 35c in Qatar and predicted to be about that hot for the next 10 days in case anyone was wondering how awful this is all going to be

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Jose posted:

It's currently 35c in Qatar and predicted to be about that hot for the next 10 days in case anyone was wondering how awful this is all going to be

Lol they wrecked the football schedule and it's still too hot.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
The clouds will be here any day now

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
truly a mockery of a World Cup in every possible way

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

vyelkin posted:

truly a mockery of a World Cup in every possible way

until Donald Trump misses a penalty to kick off the 2026 CUM World Cup

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Jose posted:

Giving Qatar the world cup was so nakedly corrupt even sepp Blatter thought it was a bad idea

https://twitter.com/jcohenap/status/1589975039952048129?s=20&t=2rBcxkj0824VgXiq3SFojA

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Qatar's native-born World Cup Ambassador is quite the diplomatic fella...

quote:

Khalid Salman, a former Qatar international footballer, made the comments in an interview with the German broadcaster ZDF.

Asked about the fact that homosexuality is illegal in his country, Salman said: “They have to accept our rules here. [Homosexuality] is haram. You know what haram means?”

When asked why it was haram, or forbidden, Khalid Salman said: “I am not a strict Muslim but why is it haram? Because it is damage in the mind.”

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

looking forward to not watching a single second of this

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
I'm going to watch but gently caress FIFA and gently caress this country that seems to have no regard for human lives or inclusion.

Glad all the corruption poo poo came out cos like this should have been played a couple of months ago in Australia, god damnit, it was our turn!

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
I am going to watch but only on illegal streams

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

jeebus bob posted:

I am going to watch but only on illegal streams

:zpatriot:

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
https://twitter.com/sbnation/status/1590510321050931200?s=46&t=UbcabbPHzEik-hzkY7jS9Q

Wonder how many people will die in these things.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

There were two documentaries about the Fyre festival. How many might this create?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
haha that doesnt look bad, ive stayed in worse than that for like $120 night

oh its $203 a night?

well, i mean, at least it has air conditioning

youd absolutely need to have air conditioning in a metal box in a desert

there's no way they'd put a whole load of metal boxes in the middle of a desert without air conditioning

right?

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
very The Wire season 2 vibes

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I saw a video of the shipping containers and they did have some fans on the walls.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Those are just to waft the scent of decomposing bodies around so that the corpse sniffing dogs have an easier time finding them.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I saw a video of the shipping containers and they did have some fans on the walls.

Did they nail them to the wall?

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Did they nail them to the wall?

Sad lol.

The closer and closer this WC gets, the more and more worried I am about the organisation, and other more and more saddened I am about Qatar's bid winning. I'm issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding the terror group ISIL. the Qatari bid. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Without handing it to uncle Sepp, I get the logic behind wanting to hold a world cup in the middle east. I think there was a genuine part of him that was proud to bring the world cup to africa. But like, putting the human rights abuses and massive corruption and sportswashing to one side (very easy to do) from a logistical standpoint this was never going to work and everyone knew it as soon as they opened the envelope. Sad!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

Without handing it to uncle Sepp, I get the logic behind wanting to hold a world cup in the middle east. I think there was a genuine part of him that was proud to bring the world cup to africa.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

He's said a few times that 2010 was his big achievement in a career of corruption and hell, he probably means it

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

the sex ghost posted:

Without handing it to uncle Sepp, I get the logic behind wanting to hold a world cup in the middle east. I think there was a genuine part of him that was proud to bring the world cup to africa. But like, putting the human rights abuses and massive corruption and sportswashing to one side (very easy to do) from a logistical standpoint this was never going to work and everyone knew it as soon as they opened the envelope. Sad!

Giving you the benefit of the doubt that you are separating S. Africa and Qatar, if you wanted to "expand" the World Cup to the Middle East or at the very least an Islamic country, give it to Egypt. You're never going to get around the heat problem, but at least they have loving stadiums, fans, and a national team that's respectable.

Qatar was so nakedly bought and is so transparently inappropriate as a host.

Teach posted:

Sad lol.

The closer and closer this WC gets, the more and more worried I am about the organization, and other more and more saddened I am about Qatar's bid winning. I'm issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding the terror group ISIL. the Qatari bid. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

Including this to say that it's not surprising to me that a country that gets by on buying and abusing their way through problems doesn't have the capacity to plan ahead the way they needed to. Planning a wedding is hard if you aren't realistic and don't know what you're doing or what you need to do. Planning a World Cup is about the most complicated event you can run and they clearly never gave a poo poo about the nuts and bolts.

I sincerely hope no one goes to this stupid thing and the stadiums are embarrassingly empty.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Yeah my point was more that expanding the potential host nations to every part of the world is good, but you should probably pick a country where they don't have to build everything from scratch in record time using slave labour

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

the sex ghost posted:

Without handing it to uncle Sepp, I get the logic behind wanting to hold a world cup in the middle east.
But the really funny thing about Sepp being against the World Cup in Qatar is that he's basically admitted to trying to rig the 2018/2022 bid voting so Russia & the USA would host, because apparently the Cold War was still going on. Qatar passed around so much extra bribe money that the voting members turned their back on Sepp's corruption and instead voted for the Qatari corruption, and that just made Mr. Blatter very cross.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

how many drunks will get arrested and tortured for leaving the sober-up zones