Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
You can tell if the early review is trustworthy based on whether or not they praise the winged feet.

Also it will be interesting to see how it follows up on the themes of the first film
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQEWa5R3m4U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Has an early review said what the movie says killed T'Challa, and was it cancer in-universe? Spoil the answer, I guess.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Soul Glo posted:

Has an early review said what the movie says killed T'Challa, and was it cancer in-universe? Spoil the answer, I guess.
Ligma

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

wow, insanely hosed up

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Review embargo for Wakanda Forever is lifted and a bunch of alleged spoilers are running around on Twitter, so FYI.

91% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Top Critic Summaries:

Fresh (33):

quote:

Director Ryan Coogler delivers a powerful follow-up to the phenomenal 2018 Black Panther that’s funny, clever and heartbreaking, impressive in its world-building, honest in its view of world politics and naturally packed with huge action sequences.

quote:

Though there's some plot messiness in the mix, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever undeniably delivers in terms of action, star power, and superhero spectacle. But what hit me hardest is its exploration of grief, an emotion that is transformative, clumsy, ugly, and cruel.

quote:

“Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” avoids the mistakes most sequels make, creating a different atmosphere and tone, elevating the MCU to much higher, ambitious places.

quote:

In a mythology where death is more often used as a narrative device than a true measure of loss, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever magnifies the truth that the title character’s world will endure, even if he doesn’t.

quote:

It’s a movie about not seeing beyond your own grief... Every narrative tendril is implicated in grief, from historical colonialism to environmental exploitation to political repression.

quote:

For all of the film’s shuddery pacing... Coogler’s subthread of the MCU continues to operate at a significantly higher strata of thought, artistry, and feeling than the rest of Marvel’s assembly line.

quote:

While a Black Panther without Boseman is undoubtedly nothing like the film's creators or any of its cast wanted it to be, the movie they've made feels like something unusually elegant and profound for the multiplex.

quote:

The movie doesn’t have the classic comic-book pow of Black Panther, and it’s easily 20 minutes too long. Yet Wakanda Forever has a slow-burn emotional suspense. Once the film starts to gather steam, it doesn’t let up.

quote:

There is much to be admired here, a care for craft and detail on a higher plane than other Marvel fare. Still, some will no doubt miss the tight focus and energy of Black Panther.

Rotten (4 Top):

quote:

A near-three-hour endurance run of gloomy photography and turgidly staged, emotionally empty two-way conversations, all seemingly designed to sap cast and viewers’ combined will to live.

quote:

Ticking boxes isn’t the same as pulling magic -- or even just insight -- from thin air... The sad reality is that the show must go on, and without [Chadwick Boseman], it’s just more of the same. Our job is to pretend it’s enough.

quote:

After a hearty start, the film sputters in its second half, dragging through its bloated runtime. A grim, serious, and too real depiction of loss pulls us out of the epic escapism.

quote:

Though its lugubrious and plodding narrative spins its wheels ahead of someone coming along to fill T’Challa’s shoes, Wakanda Forever does stand out for its depictions of grief.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 8, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Cool, happy to see Coogler is still good at this

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Sad to see critics who don't write for The Atlantic using the word lugubrious in their reviews

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Black Panther II: Good Grief!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

All I want to know at this point is if the after credits stinger is anything big, because after 2 and a half hours I'm going to be anxious to get up and get moving

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Opopanax posted:

All I want to know at this point is if the after credits stinger is anything big, because after 2 and a half hours I'm going to be anxious to get up and get moving

The only things they mention is that there is only 1 mid-credits scene and one person referred to it as "a jaw-dropper" and another referred to it as "sweet," so who knows what that even means?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
drat can't believe they kill T'challa

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There is only the 1 mid-credits scene. No 2nd scene at the very end.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lobok posted:

There is only the 1 mid-credits scene. No 2nd scene at the very end.

Weird, I think the last MCU movie that didn't have a scene at the very end was Endgame? And the one before that was, what, Incredible Hulk?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Even the ones that have very end credit scenes tend to mostly be short jokes and not anything big

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Midcredits is usually the one relevant to the IP you're watching, post credits is usually either an MCU as a whole one or just a joke.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Arist posted:

Weird, I think the last MCU movie that didn't have a scene at the very end was Endgame? And the one before that was, what, Incredible Hulk?

They said they didn't think it fit for this film, which makes sense considering the weight of it.

I'd rather it be too long than too short, so I don't mind that the biggest complaint seems to be that it's too long. Just glad it sounds like they did Namor really well.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
There were rumors for a while from a lot of the MCU leaker types, which have since been disconfirmed, that a very major Marvel character would be introduced in the Wakanda Forever mid-credits scene (I'll spoiler it just in case there ends up being some reference to said character elsewhere in the film: it was Doctor Doom.) in the event that that scene was planned at one point but was cut - of course, it's possible that this rumor was wrong from the beginning - it was probably the right decision; it would have overshadowed the film's own story, and given that the film is intended in large part as a tribute to Boseman, that's something Feige et al. would probably be particularly sensitive to in this case.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Soul Glo posted:

Legacy Virus

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Barry Convex posted:

There were rumors for a while from a lot of the MCU leaker types, which have since been disconfirmed, that a very major Marvel character would be introduced in the Wakanda Forever mid-credits scene (I'll spoiler it just in case there ends up being some reference to said character elsewhere in the film: it was Doctor Doom.) in the event that that scene was planned at one point but was cut - of course, it's possible that this rumor was wrong from the beginning - it was probably the right decision; it would have overshadowed the film's own story, and given that the film is intended in large part as a tribute to Boseman, that's something Feige et al. would probably be particularly sensitive to in this case.

Doom was the big rumoured antagonist for a while in the lead up but Namor fits the role better, they said as much in a recent interview.
I really can't see them bringing Doom in at all until Kang has more of a chance to shine

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Eric Andre was just cast in a major role for Wandavision spinoff/sequel show, lmao.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1589745023222177794

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Just saw Wakanda Forever. It is very good.

It is so different from other Marvel films but it has been guided from real-world tragedy. There are occasional glimpses of typical Marvel fare, but the film harnesses the grief of the zeitgeist surrounding Boseman to create a more thoughtful and introspective Marvel film. The world building in the film is top notch and to be honest it left me wanting more time with the people of Wakanda.
I look forward to the Okoye and Wakanda content on the horizon if it further explores these rich characters.
After so much loss the film ends on a beautiful hopeful tone. I’m glad there wasn’t an end-credit scene to cheapen it.

I’m interested to see where they go with Valentina and Martin Freeman’s characters

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Man of Steel 2 is a reboot

Snyderverse is dead, baby.

Edit: Actually maybe not, I just noticed that this was Giant Freaking Robot and the source link is just saying"source confirmed" and not a real industry paper so who knows.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Soonmot posted:

Edit: Actually maybe not, I just noticed that this was Giant Freaking Robot and the source link is just saying"source confirmed" and not a real industry paper so who knows.

Honestly if it's not from a source like Variety or Hollywood Reporter it's probably not worth paying attention to.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Deadline rounds out the top 3 there.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

Honestly if it's not from a source like Variety or Hollywood Reporter it's probably not worth paying attention to.

yeah I was taken in because it was linked in the ridiculous weather drop down on my tool bar that happened with one of the latest windows updates. It was only after I posted that I was like, wait where did that link take me.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It would be dumb to do a reboot, because there's literally no reason to. You want to make your own Superman movie that doesn't use other stuff from the Snyder versions and where Superman is more of a classic version, you can just go ahead and do it. That's what a sequel is, he was headed in that direction already.

The only reason you would do a reboot would be if you wanted to retread Lex Luthor or Zod again, and please god no, there are more than two Superman villains. He has a fun rogues gallery even.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I can see them doing a hard reboot if they want to do a ground up aesthetic redesign. But yeah otherwise soft reboot seems the path of least resistance. Fans of Snyders films can treat it as a continuation, and people who didn't like those films can take it as a new universe. Could be a tough needle to thread but not impossible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Why would they put him in the MoS suit for Black Adam if they were going to reboot?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Why would they put him in the MoS suit for Black Adam if they were going to reboot?

It’s cheaper? This is Warner Bros we’re talking about.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

You guys are assuming WB has some kind of plan, here

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The only reason you would do a reboot would be if you wanted to retread Lex Luthor or Zod again, and please god no, there are more than two Superman villains. He has a fun rogues gallery even.

Jesus christ, BRAINIAC! Probably the most iconic Superman villain after Lex, just being ignored. And the MoS suit is fine, it just needs a wider red belt to break it up a bit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

A personal shot at Zack Snyder I bet!

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Rhyno posted:

They were on sale down at Spirit Halloween.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They are not going to do a brand new suit design for a tacked on post credit scene

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Jesus christ, BRAINIAC! Probably the most iconic Superman villain after Lex, just being ignored. And the MoS suit is fine, it just needs a wider red belt to break it up a bit.

Brainiac was a villain on the Syfy Krypton prequel series. Also that show did a weird thing where Kal El and Dru Zod are related.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
You don't have to do a hard reboot origin story. Just have a Superman movie where there is sunshine and people smiling and poo poo. Don't reference the old movies even.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It would be dumb to do a reboot, because there's literally no reason to. You want to make your own Superman movie that doesn't use other stuff from the Snyder versions and where Superman is more of a classic version, you can just go ahead and do it. That's what a sequel is, he was headed in that direction already.

On one hand, I understand the desire to not deal with Lex again, but I kind of think he's too important to not have him involved at all. Especially considering that none of the cinematic versions have really been top shelf. Even if Lex isn't the one literally trying to destroy the world with a blue energy pillar aimed into the sky, you need Lex around for the dynamic of "Here's this incredibly powerful guy who treats everyone else like dirt because he thinks he's better than them/Here's the one guy more powerful than him who is the biggest sweetheart because he knows how good people can be"

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

twistedmentat posted:

I want that guy who sticks pennies in his ears instead

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I want War World to show up on the outer edge of the solar system and Superman investigates and has to stop Mongul from invading

Or I want Manchester Black to start trending and Superman to have to grow as a hero and show the proper way to inspire others and defeat him.

Or I want the Toy Man to be a creepy as gently caress Saw like puppet guy and Superman's got to use his brains

Brainiac would also be good.

Metallo, Cyborg Superman, The Collector(team up with Lobo), tons of cool guys. Some of them can't carry an entire film on their own but then you just use more than one or make them a lackey.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I would say give me an adaptation of "For the Man Who Has Everything" but there was already an adaptation so perfect even Moore liked it