Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Fridge screens just feel like an updated version of the old "TV on the kitchen counter" thing you'd see in the old days. Now you can watch Sandra Lee & burn down your house day drinking in real time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Fridge screens just feel like an updated version of the old "TV on the kitchen counter" thing you'd see in the old days. Now you can watch Sandra Lee & burn down your house day drinking in real time!

I grew up in a big tv in the kitchen household and you tell me a better way to watch a TV edited version of The Crow while making popcorn

Gilliam II
Apr 23, 2006
Argh! Stop using a child to protest!
Pillbug

teen witch posted:

I grew up in a big tv in the kitchen household and you tell me a better way to watch a TV edited version of The Crow while making popcorn

A tablet embedded in Brandon Lee's tombstone?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Barry Bluejeans posted:

auto-pilot may kill a lot of children, but it also helps a lot of people get in some gaming time, so, it;s impossible to say if its bad or not,.
I will. I will say it. Autopilot dumb and also bad, drive your own drat car

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

boofhead posted:

Instead of saying "we will pay for one partner to come" why not say "if you come we will reimburse you to the same extent that we have budgeted to reimburse the other family members", which is what is actually happening, similarly to what would happen if another family member were single or monogamously dating someone who demanded to fly first class and wipe their arse with gold leaf harry potter first editions -- great, but you're still getting the same amount of cash as anybody else

because that’s what “we will pay for one partner to come” means here and they didn’t predict he’d be a dipshit

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for not caring that my coworker is allergic to dogs.

I don't think "reasonable Accommodations" include "Forcing everyone in my general vicinity to rehome their dogs."

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Bored posted:

gently caress! I can’t believe I think of that!

neither did Jane - 21F

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

ascii genitals posted:

My friend recently died from a totally preventable cause that was entirely her fault... but I'm the bad guy for realising it.

The fact that being technically correct doesn't provide immunity from being an rear end in a top hat is something that should be taught in schools.

e: Like that dope who was recently browbeating his girlfriend into admitting something inane (she didn't find him sexy or something, I can't remember), congratulations, you're right. All it cost you was the relationship.

Groundskeeper Silly fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 10, 2022

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

MagusofStars posted:

I do not understand the use case for this. Who the gently caress would stare at their fridge door to watch TV? That seems way more of a pain in the rear end than just using a smartphone or tablet.
I don't even understand why every appliance in my kitchen needs a clock on it.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for telling my dad i dont have a sister

quote:

throwaway cause my stepmom knows my reddit account

i'm 15f and live with my dad and stepmom. my dad had a daughter that died when she was 6 and that happened 9 years before i was born. the only family ive ever had die is my papa on my moms side and we weren't close so i dont know how long it takes to really get over a death

hes made some mistakes with our names before like he'll call me "molly" and before i can say anything he corrects himself and says "sorry, charlie" and i never really got upset. the only thing is in public or around people when he mentions her and people tell me and him "sorry for your loss" i feel guilty accepting it cause it feels like im taking advantage of their feelings.

the past few years though things have gotten worse. when i was 13 my dad gave me a locket that belonged to molly and got a bigger chain so it'd fit me. i thought it was really nice and was gonna put a picture of me and my best friend siobhan in it but when i opened it a picture of molly was already in there and my dad said i wasnt allowed to take it out. i thought it was weird but it WAS her locket so i said okay and i still wear it.

i went to his work christmas party last year and he introduced me to his corworkers and a few of them got really confused and said "i thought your daughter passed away." apparently he never even mentioned me to them and thought molly was his only kid. it really hurt my feelings because it made me think he was ashamed of me so i tried to bring it up and he said it wasnt like that and the convo ended. for my birthday last year we were suppose to go to six flags but he spent alot of money getting a custom gravestone for her in our backyard so we ended up going out to dinner.

my birthday was at the end of september and before my dad asked if i still like squishmallows. i started collecting some last year so i said yes and mentioned they have a hello kitty collection and my dad knows i love hello kitty, esp kuromi. he nodded and then my birthday came. i opened my gift from him and it was a squishmallow, but it was eeyore from winnie the pooh. i was really confused cause ive never mentioned that movie to my dad ever but i didnt wanna seem ungrateful so i said thank you and joked "guess we missed out on the hello kitty ones." he told me that molly loved winnie the pooh and he thought i'd rather have that one to be close to my sister. this was finally my breaking point and i yelled "I DONT HAVE A SISTER" and he got upset with me and went to his room and didnt talk to me for the rest of the night.

i felt bad for yelling and my stepmom told me i was being a bitch and it was just a stupid toy. if this had been the only time it happened i legit would not have cared about the eeyore squishmallow but everything in my life has to revolve around molly and i couldnt take it anymore. i cried and apologized to my dad the next day but we havent had a normal conversation since and im really scared my dad hates me now.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I mean, it's only been 24 years.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't even understand why every appliance in my kitchen needs a clock on it.
Last power failure I found out that my $200 rice cooker has a battery to preserve the current time, but my $1400 stove does not.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Saint Freak posted:

I mean, it's only been 24 years.

Molly would be 30 and OP's dad is still like "yeah here's an eeyore plushie"

where the hell is the rest of op's family, what is going on

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Barudak posted:

a poverty-cule

:vince:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

run on sentience posted:

Nah, gently caress off telling anyone that they should hide their sexuality or who they love, even if it's more than one person at a time. It probably doesn't work out that often, but there is nothing morally wrong with it and they shouldn't have to hide or feel ashamed.

Also, almost all people in poly relationships are queer, so you are shaming people who are already constantly told that their sexuality and gender are not valid.

lol gently caress off with this "this is a queer issue" as a cudgel to defend poly people. That only ever comes up when trying to defend some gross sexual behavior and it's suddenly presented like it's part of the ~culture~

Being queer doesn't mean they are poly, and being poly doesn't mean being queer, so calling out making GBS threads behavior/actions from a poly person isn't an attack on queer rights.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I mean, saying people should have 'proper shame' about being poly and keep it hidden bc you think it's 'gross'

It's not a good look

I'd take the emotions about any irritating poly people you may have personally met out of the equation and just look at that statement again and it becomes clear why it's hosed up.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for starting an argument because my boyfriend boarded a plane before me?

quote:

My boyfriend (26M) and I (24F) travelled by plane to go to my parent's house for Thanksgiving. We checked in together and had different boarding groups - he was group 1, since he is active duty military, I was group 3, for being a platinum card holder on the airline. This is significant since both groups are considered priority boarding.

We are both under the impression that boarding groups do not necessarily matter - we are seasoned travelers, very efficient when boarding planes, and the only thing that does matter is that we are on the plane before the main groups, which are the people who do not travel often and are generally slower when boarding planes.

When the plane started boarding they obviously called group one first, the group for active duty military and unaccompanied minors - and my boyfriend gets up and boards without me. I was annoyed, since groups 1 and 2 are both super small, and group 3, my group, usually gets called super fast, if not combined with group two.

After my group gets called (literally less than 5 minutes later) and I get on the plane, I told him he could have waited for my group to get called and we could have boarded together. He told me that it wasn't a big deal, and I said it was since we were traveling together, he had never done that before, why would he do it randomly now, and he didn't have a reason besides "it's for me, why wouldn't I use that group" even though my group is still considered priority boarding?

We got into a mild argument about it on the plane, nothing huge since we were, well, on a plane. He thinks I'm being an rear end in a top hat for starting an argument and being upset about him boarding before me but I think it's justified since he had never done it before and he didn't say anything prior.

This isn't a new thing, where he just joined the military, he's been AD for 8 years. We have travelled together multiple times. I think I have seen him use his military ID for a discount ONE time in the entire time I have known him.

Anyway, AITA for being annoyed at him and starting an argument for boarding before me?

edit: words + ages

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I can't imagine what it's like to go through your life caring about poo poo like that. I'd rather die than be embroiled in a grudge over a cookie recipe or my boyfriend walking through a door five minutes before I do.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
LOL why the hell does anyone who doesn’t have small kids with them or a disability want to board early? I want to spend as little time as possible in those uncomfortable seats.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

therobit posted:

LOL why the hell does anyone who doesn’t have small kids with them or a disability want to board early? I want to spend as little time as possible in those uncomfortable seats.

Overhead storage.

This wasn't really a problem until they started charging for checked bags because the occasional travelers would dump their stuff off and the road warriors would have space for their carry ons. That's no longer the case.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

therobit posted:

store oversized 'personal items' in the overhead bins before there's no room.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
How do I 21F get my boyfriend 20M to stop making weird faces all the time

quote:

My boyfriend and I live together and this has been causing a small problem for a long time but lately it's gotten a lot worse.

He makes these very exaggerated ugly faces at me any time there's a pause in the conversation and we're making eye contact to try to be funny. I've told him so many times I don't like it and I make a grossed out face every time but he told me recently he thought I was just pretending to be grossed out and "deep down I really liked them." No. I hate it.

He's also started doing this thing where when we go to kiss he puckers his lips so hard that they look weird/unattractive and if I kissed him I would basically be kissing the inside of his lips. I've been dealing with this by refusing to kiss him until he puckers his lips like normal.

Finally, he's been licking his lips without really thinking about it before kissing so that his lips are wet before we kiss. I find this really gross and he says it's because his lips are chapped and he doesn't want to gross me out by having me kiss his lips when they're rough. I hate it bc it's gross and I have no desire to kiss spit covered lips and if your lips are chapped I think you should just take care of it instead of licking them which makes it worse. He also does this gross tongue flick thing without thinking sometimes right before we kiss sometimes kind of like a snake. He knows I hate this and has been "trying to stop" but he does it without thinking so he does it on accident a lot.

These stupid, small-sounding issues are killing my attraction to him. A lot of times, he says or does something that turns me on and then will do this disgusting snake tongue flick right before kissing me or pucker his lips weirdly hard when I lean in to kiss him and then I'm just disgusted and turned off.

So how do I tell him that these things are completely unattractive to me in a way that will make him understand so I don't have to keep dealing with this?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

run on sentience posted:

Also, almost all people in poly relationships are queer

Errrrr. Citation needed.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’m going to steer this poly-queer conversation back on the “don’t be a loving rear end in a top hat to some who ain’t you” road, so help me if we gotta go back to Calgary

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Soon we'll all have to be poly to afford rent.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for not caring that my coworker is allergic to dogs.

ALWAYS. CHOOSE. THE DOG.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for kicking my bf’s girl best friend out of my Halloween party because of her costume?
I was planning to be Morticia next year, but gently caress that, I'm switching to Pumpkin Sister Wife.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Really weird flex to say, "none of you consenting adults are allowed to have sex with my consenting, adult brother". But since that's technically a "boundary" and the arbitrary consequences were told in advance, many on Reddit responded with, "LOL FAFO!!".

It's such a massive fallacy to say that literally any consequence is fine so long as it's told ahead of time.

EDIT: Outside of having sex in the kitchen, I don't even understand why the brother is an rear end in a top hat. If he's making those consenting, adult women feel good and they're happy about what's going on, then what's the problem here?

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 10, 2022

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Soon we'll all have to be poly to afford rent.

The cluster system worked for the New Above Ground

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

teen witch posted:

Hello from your future

My smart fridge had a software update and I cannot turn off popup ads. Is this illegal?

I was catching up on Manifest and a character who's been held hostage in an empty demo home, uses the smart fridge to send an email letting others know he's kidnapped.

AITA for forcing my guests to move to a hotel after they refused to use the bidet?

quote:

Sorry for all the poop talk.

I live in a country with terrible plumbing. If you flush toilet paper you are pretty much guaranteed to back up your toilet.

I grew up in Colorado so I know how weird it is to wipe after a dump and then put the paper in a garbage can instead of just flushing it.

So I installed a wand bidet in all three washrooms in my retirement house. So after you poop you just spray your backside down nice and clean. Then you use the toilet paper to dry your butthole.

Nice, simple, and less gross in my opinion. I wish I had these when I lived in the states.

So my brother and his wife came down for a visit. I told them the rules for the bathroom and they both said that they understood.

Apparently not. They clogged the two public bathrooms the first day. Then they asked to use the one in my room. Nope that's mine.

They asked me where they were supposed to go to the bathroom. I pointed them to the clogged ones and offered them a plunger and a drain snake. They said I was the host and it was my responsibility. I laughed in their faces.

So they packed up and left. They found a hotel and now they are on social media complaining about the shithole country I chose to retire to and calling me a terrible host for inviting them down but not letting them use my bathroom.

I posted pictures of my bathrooms after they clogged them and asked if they knew who did that to my home? They called me gross and immature for talking about their bathroom habits.

I'm lost. They brought it up first. Anyways they are calling me an rear end in a top hat because they are having to spend money on a hotel when I live in a really nice house with guest rooms.

But now everyone who knows the bathroom rules for down here is calling them idiots for not using the bidet or putting the toilet paper in the receptacle.

Edit.

These awards are making me laugh.

quote:

OP has offered the following explanation for why they think they might be the rear end in a top hat:

My brother and his wife clogged up my toilets by not following the bathroom rules. I .ight be the rear end in a top hat because I refused to unclog them myself and instead have them the tools to do it. I had also provided instructions and a premade solution to ensure that they would not clog the toilet.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Motronic posted:

Overhead storage.

This wasn't really a problem until they started charging for checked bags because the occasional travelers would dump their stuff off and the road warriors would have space for their carry ons. That's no longer the case.

100% this. Unless I upgrade or get upgraded its always hoping like heck i dont have to gate check the one small bag I usually take for any trip less than a week which kills more time and waiting among the folks who never ever travel and do it terribly.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

nashona posted:

AITA for forcing my guests to move to a hotel after they refused to use the bidet?

Someone actually following through on social media :yeshaha:

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Solkanar512 posted:

EDIT: Outside of having sex in the kitchen, I don't even understand why the brother is an rear end in a top hat. If he's making those consenting, adult women feel good and they're happy about what's going on, then what's the problem here?

Maybe they're hogging the fridge by watching porn on it.

"Oh yes, I need more meat" :heysexy:

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
The best way I've figured out how to deal with the queen's and king aliens is to use a ranger with blade storm. After a turn of that they usually are ready to run anyway.

Gilliam II
Apr 23, 2006
Argh! Stop using a child to protest!
Pillbug

nashona posted:

Maybe they're hogging the fridge by watching porn on it.

"Oh yes, I need more meat" :heysexy:

I mean, if meatspin playing on loop 24/7 on my fridge doesn't remind me to buy more hot dogs, what will?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

The best way I've figured out how to deal with the queen's and king aliens is to use a ranger with blade storm. After a turn of that they usually are ready to run anyway.

This.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

The aliens are definitely TA here

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Same tbh

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Sandwich business is serious business

AITA for eating my daughter's sandwich?

quote:

My middle daughter (18) and my MIL go out every Tuesday. My daughter picks MIL up after her class is over, they go shopping, then they go out to eat. MIL always pays.

I'm not stoked about my daughter spending this much time with MIL because MIL clearly favors middle. She always denies having a favorite but she does subtle things like always saying yes if middle wants to go out, even if she just said no to another grandkid but she'll try to make it seem like middle asked first. Middle was also wearing these "fake" diamond earrings that she said she bought at a craft fair but they look very similar to my MIL's diamond earrings. Since she's getting older, she's been inviting all of her grandkids over to take her jewelry but middle walks around with jewelry that wasn't up for grabs for the other kids.

Anyways, on Tuesday middle and MIL went to a deli that's famous for their sandwiches. They each got a sandwich but they're huge so middle only ate half and MIL ate a third. MIL doesn't eat leftovers so she told middle to take the sandwiches home and let someone else eat hers.

I got home and middle showed me MIL's sandwich and told me I can take it for lunch, so yesterday I took a sandwich and left for work. Middle called me during my lunch and told me that I took her sandwich. She asked me to come home and get the one I was supposed to take but that would take half my lunch break so I said no. She started to get upset and said that she really wanted to eat that sandwich for lunch but I told her I wouldn't be able to go home and switch the sandwiches. Then Middle said either I have to return her sandwich or go to the deli and buy her a new one. I'm not driving 30 minutes to spend $20 on a sandwich.

Middle started crying because she "really wanted that sandwich" and hung up on me. I guess her next move was to call MIL and tell her what happened because when I came home, there was a new sandwich in the fridge with middle's name on it and I got an angry text from FIL's phone.

My husband agrees with middle and MIL that I should've returned or replaced the sandwich. Everyone seems to be against me so I wanted an outside opinion. AITA?

Replies are strongly YTA, which I don't get- I would apologize for taking the wrong sandwich, but gently caress coming home from work or buying a new sandwich, what the hell