Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

TheWorldsaStage posted:

My favorite opera is "Kill Da Rabbit"

*Wabbit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Oh God, my shame

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Pirates of Penzance is a good opera

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdNnl_tbkR0

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I prefer Firefox over Opera

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I’m finding myself inadvertently grinding in Persons 5. Because I want to minimize the amount of days I spend in the metaverse, I want to use up every SP I have, which means remaining in a palace till most of the team is drained.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah that's pretty much how a lot of people play

in the base game it was a lot harder to get SP items so SP acted as a sort of soft cap on dungeon crawling, but SP items are so much easier to get in Royal and every other system in the game encourages you to not spend multiple days dungeon crawling because it limits your social stat/confidant link time

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also the real grinding happens when you get the Ryuji insta-kill ability

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I’m not sure if this is a Royal thing but it also feels like the game gives you a bit too many easy ways out, like with Showtimes.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's not a very hard game, and never really was honestly.

SMTV is where you go if you like the idea of this combat system but want the focus to be on challenging RPG battles and less about the social/life-sim aspects

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

That guy who did the three volume history of the Vita is doing a history of the PS3

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...or_youve_backed

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah that's pretty much how a lot of people play

in the base game it was a lot harder to get SP items so SP acted as a sort of soft cap on dungeon crawling, but SP items are so much easier to get in Royal and every other system in the game encourages you to not spend multiple days dungeon crawling because it limits your social stat/confidant link time

I don’t think SP items are even super hard to get in base P5, iirc it’s entirely possible to get the goth doctor to sell you the SP regen swag by the third one and just blitz out every palace. Which is kind of a shame, the idea of having to manage resources and risk/reward to see how far you get us cool but at the same time who the gently caress is gonna bother with that if you have a cheat, it interferes with you hanging out with Anime Bernie Sanders and shogi girl.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it's not a very hard game, and never really was honestly.

SMTV is where you go if you like the idea of this combat system but want the focus to be on challenging RPG battles and less about the social/life-sim aspects

I mostly liked Strange Journey, but core SMT titles are a little dull for my taste. That said, P5 has made me want to have a go at another one.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
its kind of a shame because P5R is much, much easier in terms of time (because you can now do in-cafe activities after dungeon crawling instead of sleeping)

i think i maxed like 5 social links the first time i played P5, and in P5R i maxed basically all of them except Devil which nobody does because it has the least useful effects in the game

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Persona is a series that has fallen in difficulty due to QoL/design changes. Persona 3 actually had lots of hard bosses in Tartarus due to AI controlled party and the freedom to explore it as you please. The first 2 bosses of Persona 4 were actually quite nasty, having no weaknesses and hitting hard. But P3P and P4G additions/changes kinda neutered them.

P5's only real point of difficulty was sustaining through the early Palaces, and Royal neutered that with the DLC and SP healing sources so no wonder it's so easy.

Edit: Also time management. It's impossible to max out ever SLink in the original P3 without a strict guide, but by P5 you have loads of free time to do so as long as you don't waste every day at the dinner.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think Persona 3 is the one which leans hardest into the idea of your dungeon crawling being a thing that you have to manage your time around, because party members can tire out (and be unavailable as social links) from it, just the design of the dungeons themselves being more explicitly grindy, and the fact that social links could backslide if you did stuff like ignore them for long enough.

It kinda went away from that after because as cool as that sounds, most people only like the time-management to an extent and they mostly want to hang out with their anime buddies.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Also I’m an idiot because it took me way too long to realize why the game was leaning on Mass Destruction so hard. (Joker’s costume can change the battle music)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

When will we see P6 I'm ready for green Persona

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Did I miss an explanation for why Joker wears fake glasses?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They're fake? Cant believe Joker is a poseur

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Aesthetic purposes, also they give him a sorta unassuming image so he doesn't look as much like a Nasty Crime Boy.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Rinkles posted:

also because there are animated cutscenes made very early in development where he doesn't wear glasses

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
btw re: opera - i have a lot of opera LP box sets because they're so cheap at record stores and a lot of them have these giant libretto books with translations, which is great because i hate using a smartphone or a tiny-rear end CD booklet to follow along

some of them i just straight up buy for the libretto book (not always perfect because a lot of opera recordings cut bits out)

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Rinkles posted:

people with glasses look better than people without glasses

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Relax Or DIE posted:

Well as it happens I’m getting my first pair next week or so. Though I don’t really like the frame (got a cheap one that was covered by insurance).

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Relax Or DIE posted:

They look smarter I'll give you that

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

It's a combination of making him look like a scrawny Harry Potter-looking nerd who couldn't possibly have mildly shoved brutally beat the poo poo out of a man, as well as giving Atlus something they can easily market and sell.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

That stuff works. I bought Audio Technica clip-ons after P3. They were actually a good fit for me, because regular earphones and headphones give me headaches. But I had cable issues with them after a year.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thank you everyone for the birthday wishes!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

When will we see P6 I'm ready for green Persona

No SMT If protags, smh

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The glasses are to prevent people Joker doesn't spend lots of time with from being sucked into the gravitational pull of his dreamy gaze.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

His character looks significantly better with the glasses than without.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Games As A Service

https://gamingbolt.com/former-fortnite-veteran-joins-naughty-dog-as-principal-monetization-designer

Guess the next Last of Us has been known to be a free to play? They got a big monetization guy to gear up

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The next Last of Us is widely assumed to be a standalone version of the old Factions multiplayer mode. Making it free-to-play wouldn't be a big leap

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hopefully this one will be....The Last of Them

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

His character looks significantly better with the glasses than without.

:yeah:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
AVGN getting games whipped into his face is one of the best bits ever

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Do you guys have a... podcast game? Like a game that you usually play while listening to a podcast? Mine used to be Project Zomboid but I got sick of it after playing it too much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Big Scary Owl posted:

Do you guys have a... podcast game? Like a game that you usually play while listening to a podcast? Mine used to be Project Zomboid but I got sick of it after playing it too much

map games