Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

unfortunately they were also radios so now one of the kids loves Delilah and wants to listen to her show every night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Hm, regular old CD players might be a good idea. I could even get an old disc burner and make copies or mixes for her so I don't have to worry about her breaking discs or anything

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Bar Ran Dun posted:

unfortunately they were also radios so now one of the kids loves Delilah and wants to listen to her show every night.

lol didn’t know that was still on

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
my toddler sleeps like poo poo during full moons, is this common?

I never noticed before because she slept like poo poo all the time

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

my 2 year old has delighted me a few times recently by asking to "put music on" but whenever I put on something cool she makes a face and informs me she meant "miss polly" by the wiggles

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

little fuckin loser doesnt even like death grips

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

wynott dunn posted:

She's a werewolf hth

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

bitmap posted:

my 2 year old has delighted me a few times recently by asking to "put music on" but whenever I put on something cool she makes a face and informs me she meant "miss polly" by the wiggles
lmao

I'm pretty lucky that my kid's pretty open minded. She'll have something in mind a lot of the time and request e.g. wiggles or peppa pig or sesame street ("stesame street") but if I go "how about this instead?" and show her something new she's totally okay with it and usually gets really into it or starts jamming out.

She's been talking more lately which has been great--basic social things like greetings/farewells, thanks, etc., are now being said unprompted (inconsistently but I'm just happy it's happening at all) and in the last couple days she's started calling for us when she wants something. My heart soared the first time I heard her go "daddy, daddy" to call for me.

She's starting preschool soon and I'm hopeful that will really accelerate her speaking progress. I'm really excited for her but also nervous. Probably the same stuff every parent goes through when their kid's starting school I'm sure

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
There are a ton of kinda cheap speakers around with bluetooth/USB capabilities, but they're also radios so don't know if that would work for you.

I had a USB mp3 players ages ago. Maybe one of those could work, since they are USB stick size, and have audio jacks so it can be connected to any cheap speaker and have physical buttons to skip songs, and the smallest screen possible that just displays text.

Edit: Also, beware that bluetooth speakers may also have buttons to be used to make hands-free phonecalls.

Kal-L has issued a correction as of 01:22 on Nov 10, 2022

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lobster shirt posted:

im not looking forward to paying for two kids in daycare, either
we've done the route of paying for daycare for our oldest, then once they got out and into elemenatry school, our youngest was due for daycare
been paying for daycare non-stop (scratch that, there was a 6 month gap of no daycare due to 'lockdowns' in 2020) since 2016, still got another few years left lol
oh and then there's after school/care tuition for our oldest as well lmao
basically,

mila kunis posted:

i wonder what it was like before this nuclear family bullshit when you had family and community to help out

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

silvergoose posted:

She's a werewolf hth

that explains the biting now that she has teeth

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Hm, regular old CD players might be a good idea. I could even get an old disc burner and make copies or mixes for her so I don't have to worry about her breaking discs or anything
This is exactly what I did. Got them a basic CD-player boombox and we'll sit on youtube and curate a playlist that I will then burn onto a CD. Seeing what their musical taste leans towards, influenced by my own, has been fun to see.

They'll put their favorite songs on repeat and blast it for an entire weekend afternoon. At first it was annoying but then I remembered that I did literally the same thing growing up with vinyl, cds, mini-discs, etc. and poo poo I still do the same thing today while driving.

The algorithm recommended The Kid Laroi/Bieber - Stay, and we've now listened to that song approximately 1000 times.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

wynott dunn posted:

The werewolf thing is 100% correct, but other than that, babies are kinda light sensitive. I had good results going from regular curtains to one of those that lets in zero light. Also helped in the summer.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

amazing how a quick haircut can turn an extremely upset and miserable 11 year old girl into a totally fine and happy one in a matter of minutes

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Zerg Mans posted:

daughter had her first active shooter drill. cool country.

Tzen posted:

loving hell
not looking forward to when mine has theirs
quoting nearly year old posts to post that this happened in my child's school district,

"A King County judge found probable cause Wednesday to hold a 14-year-old boy in juvenile detention on suspicion of premeditated first-degree murder in a fatal shooting the day before at Ingraham High School.

The teen, arrested on a Metro bus roughly an hour after gunfire rang out in a hallway at the North Seattle school, was one of two ordered to remain in detention by Chief Juvenile Court Judge Averil Rothrock. The other, a 15-year-old boy, is suspected of rendering criminal assistance to the suspected shooter and unlawfully possessing a gun."

-https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/law-justice/2-teens-held-in-juvenile-detention-after-ingraham-high-school-shooting-in-seattle/

needless to say, my second grader will be having active shooter drills in the coming days/weeks
and our toddlers daycare is also going to run active shooter / lockdown drills

cool cool cool

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

BonHair posted:

The werewolf thing is 100% correct, but other than that, babies are kinda light sensitive. I had good results going from regular curtains to one of those that lets in zero light. Also helped in the summer.

I have a nightlight in her room to help find the pacifiers she throws around the room but it’s always on at night so it wouldn’t have made her sleep worse during the full moon

considering how she was howling until midnight the werewolf hypothesis is not being disproved

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Tzen posted:

(scratch that, there was a 6 month gap of no daycare due to 'lockdowns' in 2020)

Must be nice, we had to pay for daycare despite lockdowns

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Struensee posted:

Must be nice, we had to pay for daycare despite lockdowns
even if your child wasn't in daycare?
ours offered a 'holding fee' that we paid for a few months until spouse and i had to get back in offices and daycare opened back up fulltime

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Microplastics posted:

My 12 month old has started nursery! :dance:

*reads the last two pages*

no :negative:

It has been 3 weeks and he's only spent half that time in nursery and we've all caught the flu and he's had diarrhea and is still not back yet.

Just, just put me out of my misery. FINISH ME

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Tzen posted:

even if your child wasn't in daycare?
ours offered a 'holding fee' that we paid for a few months until spouse and i had to get back in offices and daycare opened back up fulltime

The magic of social democratic nations.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Microplastics posted:

It has been 3 weeks and he's only spent half that time in nursery and we've all caught the flu and he's had diarrhea and is still not back yet.

Just, just put me out of my misery. FINISH ME

Hang in there. We're all recovering from something in our home. My hope is that wjen the younger one starts preschool it won't be as bad because his brother has given it to him already.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Greg Legg posted:

My hope is that wjen the younger one starts preschool it won't be as bad because his brother has given it to him already.

lol, lmao

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Everything is going to be fine and nothing is going to go wrong.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

i am harry posted:

amazing how a quick haircut can turn an extremely upset and miserable 11 year old girl into a totally fine and happy one in a matter of minutes

aw

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

BonHair posted:

but other than that, babies are kinda light sensitive. I had good results going from regular curtains to one of those that lets in zero light. Also helped in the summer.

black out curtains are your friend. all bedrooms kids, yours, everybody. this will add hours eventually to everybody’s sleep.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

black out curtains are your friend. all bedrooms kids, yours, everybody. this will add hours eventually to everybody’s sleep.

yeah. black out curtains rule.

also, for adults and older kids: sleep masks. my wife and i adopted those rather than adding blackout curtains to our bedroom and they've been life-changing.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Bar Ran Dun posted:

can’t quote this enough

also what helped us at late night was buying bulbs that removed blue light. it made a difference in late night changing and feeding for all parties involved.

we weren’t blinded or disoriented at 3 am

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Greg Legg posted:

Everything is going to be fine and nothing is going to go wrong.

That's what I say before turning my monitor on

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lol my wife had her 36 week ultrasound and this drat baby already weighs 7 pounds 6 ounces. at least we dont need to be worried about low birth weight!!!

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Sea shanty update: my three year old has taken to wandering the house wistfully singing the line "Leave her, Johnny, leave her" like a haunted spinster from a Dickens novel.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

lobster shirt posted:

lol my wife had her 36 week ultrasound and this drat baby already weighs 7 pounds 6 ounces. at least we dont need to be worried about low birth weight!!!

baby's a chonker who might push 10lbs, good luck lobster wife

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

That's also a good idea, I'll have to think about it. My perfect device would allow her to change songs and stuff so she'd have some control over it, but that's not the hardest requirement.

The Jooki is basically what you're looking for- it's an mp3 player/speaker that auto plays a paired playlist when you put one of their little tokens or animals on it, and you can customize what is on each playlist. Only controls are skip forward/back and volume. It also hooks into Spotify but I haven't used that part.

After using one for a month or so, I don't know if I would recommend it though. The software is garbage and it does the weird Bluetooth/local wifi combo for uploading mp3s on there- no USB connectivity other than charging. It ships with old firmware and then won't work until you update the firmware, which for some reason refused to work on my home wifi but did at work? Their support was not very good either

However, now we have it set up it's great. Our 13mo will sit there and put on his own music, and change "CDs" by himself when he gets tired of one. Plus with 5 gigs of storage we just made one token a functionally infinite playlist of audiobooks we can skip around in.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

kid needs to take 7 days of amoxicillin, any good tips on getting a picky toddler to take his meds lol

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
You can never go wrong with a slingshot

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

the dosing syringes.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

also if the kids gets big round spots sometimes that just happens with amoxicillin

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
take some yourself to show that it's safe

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

lobster shirt posted:

kid needs to take 7 days of amoxicillin, any good tips on getting a picky toddler to take his meds lol

If its a tablet and not extended release, then it should be okay to crush and mix with something like yoghurt or nutella.

You can also mix it with water and squirt it down their throat with a syringe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

lobster shirt posted:

yes: children like things, but they are not entitled to them nor do they deserve them simply for existing. if your child has to take medicine then your child has to take medicine before they get to do or have the things they like. that's it, and that's the way it's been for all life on this planet since the beginning.