Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

abelwingnut posted:

ohhhhhh. that...i'm less interested in.
Like most of their multi-episode documentaries, the Netflix GME documetnary is a lot of filler. That was a 20 minute Economics Explained video's worth of information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MeinPanzer posted:

Adam Curtis' new seven-part documentary, TraumaZone, about life in the Soviet Union and Russia from 1985-1999, will be made available on BBC iPlayer on Oct 13:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2022/adam-curtis-russia-1985-1999-traumazone

Apparently Curtis was given access to a huge trove of unused BBC archival footage from that period, so it looks like it'll be a great examination of the lived experiences that led to the Russia we know today.

anybody got a vpn that works on bbc they wanna share?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nuts and Gum posted:

What do you not like about Ken burns movies? Genuine q, I’ve only seen one of his movies years ago, but he seems to be the go-to documentarian for all things Americana at this point.

His Vietnam documentary was way too both-sidesy (and it didn't help I'd just read Kill Anything That Moves right beforehand) and the others I'd seen were fairly boring.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

What do you not like about Ken burns movies? Genuine q, I’ve only seen one of his movies years ago, but he seems to be the go-to documentarian for all things Americana at this point.

A criticism I have heard and have is related to that last bit: Americana. It's a historical narrative in which the past is prelude to the present and the sins we committed are ok because we learned from them, they are over and sufficiently atoned for, and they have made us even greater. Some of his presentation of social events frames periods of genuine existential conflict as a process of patriotic inclusion for the groups involved. The labor uprisings of the early 20th century and the civil rights movement of the 1960s, for example, were not necessarily attempts by oppressed groups to make space for themselves in society but more fights for their own existence and ability to live freely. Inclusion in the status quo may not have factored in at all. The idea of a sort of inevitable social progress flattens the dynamics of the events, the goals of the people involved, and downplays or omits the level of struggle and violence involved. Above all, it avoids casting the events as "The United States vs. US citizens", which is belied by the use of government forces in the suppression of these movements.

I haven't seen his latest film, but from what I've heard it's a major departure from that viewpoint. I don't think the above invalidates his work, anyway. I just think it's just necessary to keep in mind when watching his documentaries.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Ken Burns: Capitalism. His final film.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

BrianRx posted:

A criticism I have heard and have is related to that last bit: Americana.

Yeah, I’m a fan of Burns’ documentaries, but there’s no getting around the veneer of old fashioned patriotism that coats just about everything he does. This was probably most egregious in the case of his Vietnam documentary, which, despite featuring many Vietnamese voices, still framed the whole conflict as something entered into “with the best of intentions.”

For someone who dives as deep as he does into history and historical documentation, there’s a startling amount of naïveté in Burns’ work.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
They were the best of intentions for the capitalists and military industrial complex.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah I also love Burns docs and agree with the criticisms but I think if you’re skeptical you should watch the Holocaust one. It doesn’t even pretend to have that patriotic veneer and in its conclusion draws a direct line from the antisemitism and racism of the early part of the 20th century to the same poo poo today.

It’s definitely the most mask off about America that a Burns doc has ever been.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Rest in peace Mike Schank, one of the great characters of documentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAbno9zroXo

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Kull the Conqueror posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAbno9zroXo

This is loving sad, first death of someone I don't know in a while that has really bummed me out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A5rPa3ppog

I use this quote all the drat time.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDA3hIsf7LA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDA3hIsf7LA&list=PLSjQL8MYniTTLA3wnZ25U-s6RgR4uJNvL

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

drat, that’s sad about Schank.

I haven’t watched American Movie in a few years, time to take it off the shelf and do a tribute/memorial watch.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Dang. I remember he had a little web site where he sold CDs of his music.

note to self, check this out later: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD1W6UH5r2g

e: I couldn't find a place to buy his albums Classical Songs I Know or Dreams I Know, but they were trivial to locate via other methods. They're both pretty short, around 45 minutes total.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 16, 2022

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That night of the living dead audio commentary video is really great.

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives

MeinPanzer posted:

Adam Curtis' new seven-part documentary, TraumaZone, about life in the Soviet Union and Russia from 1985-1999, will be made available on BBC iPlayer on Oct 13:

Apparently Curtis was given access to a huge trove of unused BBC archival footage from that period, so it looks like it'll be a great examination of the lived experiences that led to the Russia we know today.

Like watching a horror movie in slow motion. Really good and don't miss the narration at all.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Androies posted:

Like watching a horror movie in slow motion. Really good and don't miss the narration at all.

Just finished TraumaZone and it's a masterpiece IMO.

I was born in the late 80s, so the fall of the Soviet Union and its ramifications throughout Eastern Europe (most notably in Yugoslavia) were fixed in my childhood brain as major world events but I never really had a good understanding of how they unfolded. Notably, my memories of events in Russia were primarily visual: bread lines, fighting in Chechnya, Boris Yeltsin stumbling around drunk. Over successive years I've watched numerous scattered documentaries on this topic, but never something as comprehensive or mesmerizing as this.I usually don't have more than a couple of hours to spend a week watching shows or movies with my wife, but I managed to squeeze in time to watch all 7 hours of this because I found it so captivating.

Ever since I saw The Power of Nightmares on TV in the mid-2000s, I've been drawn in by Adam Curtis' documentary style, and several of his documentaries opened my eyes to a new way of looking at the world at a time when I was still a pretty naive and staid lib. As I've gotten older, however, I've begun to tire of his style; as much as I appreciate his soothing English tones, I've found in recent years that his authorial voice (both literal and metaphorical) often overwhelms the subject matter, and once you've seen a few of his films the repeated sequences of stock footage overlaid with soliloquies begin to wear thin.

The decision to feature only minimal captioning and no voice over in this documentary is really refreshing and allows Curtis to play to his strength: finding remarkable documentary sequences left on the cutting room floor and weaving them together to form a captivating narrative. It's got all the usual Curtis themes, but allows them to emerge and interact organically.

Be warned, though, that it in addition to many, many generally distressing scenes, it features some surprisingly graphic footage: just off the top of my head, a guy showing a photo of three decapitated bodies, a blown-off arm hanging from a tank, and mothers looking at footage of rotting corpses in the hopes of identifying their missing sons.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Anyone have experience with Curiosity Stream? I typically watch short documentaries on YouTube, so this seems interesting, but anybody have an opinion on the selection, quality, etc.? Also, any billing shenanigans? Blinkist got me good.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

It's alright, I was using it about a year ago and it was a bit limited. What happened with Blinkist? I've been using them a while now.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

JNCO BILOBA posted:

It's alright, I was using it about a year ago and it was a bit limited. What happened with Blinkist? I've been using them a while now.

I got hit with a $100+ annual subscription fee the moment my trial ended and they wouldn't refund it. That's on me for not unsubscribing earlier, I guess, but it was pretty lovely. This was maybe a year ago and the catalog has probably improved, but I got through everything I wanted to during the trial period so there wasn't even an "oh well, guess I'll make the most of it" benefit.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That’s super lovely and some short sighted nonsense for sure.

I usually try to cancel trials after starting them because lots will give you the access until the last day anyway. Some like Apple kill your access so for those I set calendar reminders for.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

EL BROMANCE posted:

That’s super lovely and some short sighted nonsense for sure.

I usually try to cancel trials after starting them because lots will give you the access until the last day anyway. Some like Apple kill your access so for those I set calendar reminders for.

Yep. Sign up then immediately cancel. Done.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
TraumaZone is pretty bloody good

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
The Volcano: rescue from Whakaari on Netflix, about the disaster where a volcano tour group were caught in an eruption off the coast of New Zealand is pretty gorgeous and sad

Lotta very visibly burn scarred people talking about going through hell, and tearful testimonials about the dead if that's a no go for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnxGV9RQutE

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Dec 29, 2022

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Mahoning posted:

Yeah I also love Burns docs and agree with the criticisms but I think if you’re skeptical you should watch the Holocaust one. It doesn’t even pretend to have that patriotic veneer and in its conclusion draws a direct line from the antisemitism and racism of the early part of the 20th century to the same poo poo today.

It’s definitely the most mask off about America that a Burns doc has ever been.

Ohh I have to see this, thanks for the heads up. I love Ken Burns Vietnam but have come to the realization it needs to begin and end with a flashing message Read Shoot Anything That Moves, the book about the American war crimes and genocidal actions.

Also that doco led me to it's narrator, Peter Coyote. An interesting boomer chap with stories of being in the thick of the counterculture and also his chill Buddhism YouTube channel.

battlepigeon
Aug 3, 2008

Just watched "Chasing Ice" and "Merchants of doubt". Good stuff!

You guys have any other recommendations on documentaries about climate change?

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!
Where’s a good place to start with Adam Curtis?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

one of the normal ones. century of the self, the trap. later career, all watched over by machines

i say "normal ones" because truamazone is not normal and neither was bitter lake. definitely watch those but probably not first because of how abstract they are.

just go chronologically really, you'll see an evolution of how he presents.find the earliest adam curtis you have access to and start there

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just watched This Place Rules on hbo max which is the channel 5 movie that got picked up by a24.

Really good and honestly took me back to when all that poo poo around the election and January 6 was really popping off.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Uatu The Lurker posted:

Where’s a good place to start with Adam Curtis?
I found Hypernormalisation to be a very good introductory documentary of his.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I just got in really late from a friend's place and I should be getting some rest for NYE, but not ten minutes into This Place Rules it's so compelling that I might just watch the whole thing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Machines of Loving Grace so thoroughly and patiently explains what's wrong with, like, everything about our modern society and capitalism, and it's depressing because I've met so few people who are interested in helping the world not be that

Like, it really gets to the common core of wrongness, the basic systems we've bought into which are terrifyingly unnatural

We should not want to be like machines

ARTPUP
Jun 7, 2013

MeinPanzer posted:

Somebody posted the series on youtube as well if you can't get the BBC player: https://www.youtube.com/@josephdenton6865/videos

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ARTPUP posted:

Somebody posted the series on youtube as well if you can't get the BBC player: https://www.youtube.com/@josephdenton6865/videos

Yesssssss thank you so much

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
There are so many clips of this place rules on youtube already it really seems like a long version of his normal content. Is there anything different about it?

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!

KoRMaK posted:

one of the normal ones. century of the self, the trap. later career, all watched over by machines

i say "normal ones" because truamazone is not normal and neither was bitter lake. definitely watch those but probably not first because of how abstract they are.

just go chronologically really, you'll see an evolution of how he presents.find the earliest adam curtis you have access to and start there

Sagacity posted:

I found Hypernormalisation to be a very good introductory documentary of his.

Thanks folks!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Waltzing Along posted:

There are so many clips of this place rules on youtube already it really seems like a long version of his normal content. Is there anything different about it?

Just finished watching it, and yeah it has a much more coherent and serious tone

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

precision posted:

Just finished watching it, and yeah it has a much more coherent and serious tone

Is it worth finding or is it just rehashing stuff I probably already know?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you like Andrew/Channel 5 then it’s worth watching. If you don’t care about him, it’s unlikely there’s any great revelations.

I would be intrigued to see right wingers reactions watching it because I think he keeps a fairly unbiased approach and let’s people talk themselves into problems, and I do like the juxtapositions between situations (the children in the Q clip that’s been going around in comparison to him looking after a kid for a day, etc).

It’s a good document that’s not too long, and covers the insanity of that time period into a single piece.

Also: I like that he put some focus on the ringleaders making sure to not get too involved themselves, while also conveniently getting Covid himself and not being able to attend. We all know you were the puppet master all along Andrew! Who else is the common factor between all the events leading up to the main event. Lock him up!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

If you like Andrew/Channel 5 then it’s worth watching. If you don’t care about him, it’s unlikely there’s any great revelations.
I actually disliked it on the whole as someone who does enjoy his stuff, and it really hits the limitations of Andrew's talents. The thing about the QAnon family in the film is that for as hosed up as they are, they are just people going about their lives. So, you get these sincere and real words from them. Alex Jones and Tarrio are sleaze bags who are never going to give you anything genuine unless you pull a Borat and actively trick them.

Ultimately, I don't think the movie fails in its framing. The idea that it's some artifact of the events that led to the coup seem hollow to me and its message is pretty incoherent by the end of the film. It feels like the movie was supposed to be about polarization in general during the 2022 election, and the actual events got much bigger than their footage to make a meaningful narrative.

It's a shame because when you let Andrew just focus on "normal" Americans, he does shine!

EDIT: A trans youtuber Jessie Gender did a recent video on the shooting and I think made the point of how certain people radicalize normal people and then abandon them once they do what they were essentially being told to do much more clearly.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i went to one of the channel 5 live shows and one of the motivators that Andrew says drives him is to look at these opposite ends as people rather than villains or caricatures. hes interested in how people get there

he's still a young guy but i wanted to tell him that no amount of humanizing these people is going to help you understand what makes an rear end in a top hat. they are assholes, and one day it just flips on. doesn't matter what its triggered by. I've suffered assholes and trying to understand them in the hopes of bringing them back from the rear end in a top hat edge and really all i did was waste my own time on a very boring story and situation. and it's the same story over and over. they loose their empathy and are assholes because of it.