Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

kru posted:

It isnt legally possible for the blame to be pushed from the company entity to an employee

right?

right???

If the company can prove that you did it intentionally, I think you can be blamed? So Musk just has to have the paperwork to be like "we asked this engineer to not break the law it's their fault they broke it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Data Graham posted:

I'm going to die if the real live Pope used the "my brothers in Christ" meme intentionally

It was a phrase used by Christians long before it was a meme. St. Paul called his fellow Christians "brothers" (and sometimes added "for whom Christ died"). Around AD 400, St. Augustine of Hippo addressed St. Jerome in a letter as "My Honored Brother in Christ", which is the earliest I can find that exact phrase written down.

I also checked, and @Pontifex didn't tweet that recently.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 10, 2022

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Why don't these celebrities who hate Twitter do what I did and delete their loving accounts?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

This is insanely stupid. How the gently caress do you expect your engineers to be law experts to a degree where they can certify compliance or even fully understand the laws and regulations? I sure as gently caress wouldn't! And I bet if poo poo hit the fan, my company would be turbo hosed when a court heard that they decided not to have a compliance department anymore and instead told us engineers to do it ourselves.

But then I live in Finland where the laws are at least semi-sane so who knows how it works in the United States?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
loving with Elon seems like a decent enough reason to stay on the platform for now. Until it stops being fun

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

kru posted:

It isnt legally possible for the blame to be pushed from the company entity to an employee

right?

right???

If the system is working properly it's not from / to, it's as well as. Like the company gets lots of fines, and if the compliance people were falsifying their areas of responsibility they can get direct legal penalties, orders like "you're barred from this industry", jail, etc.

Ex Theranos, was facing a lot of FDA fines and stuff (but went under first). But Holmes and the COO are going to prison, and some of their chief people can't work in any medical position of importance again.

(the system isn't working properly a lot of the time)

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I like how Musk is setting up to fight the FTC which it seems is the only US regulatory body with any teeth.
Large rending teeth

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

This is insanely stupid. How the gently caress do you expect your engineers to be law experts to a degree where they can certify compliance or even fully understand the laws and regulations? I sure as gently caress wouldn't! And I bet if poo poo hit the fan, my company would be turbo hosed when a court heard that they decided not to have a compliance department anymore and instead told us engineers to do it ourselves.

But then I live in Finland where the laws are at least semi-sane so who knows how it works in the United States?

Elmo thinks he’s above the law. His legal team thinks so too. Hence the poo poo about “we build rockets, we’re not afraid of the FTC”

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Klyith posted:

If the system is working properly it's not from / to, it's as well as.

But are the situations the same? There's no legal expectation for engineers to understand relevant laws, like there might be in finance or something. The coders at Twitter didn't have to pass legal exams or get certified. "We violated an FTC requirement we didn't even know existed after our rear end in a top hat boss decided not to hire a new legal department" can't be grounds for getting sued into oblivion for accidentally violating a requirement, surely?

ProfessorMarvel
Jan 6, 2021

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

Elmo thinks he’s above the law. His legal team thinks so too. Hence the poo poo about “we build rockets, we’re not afraid of the FTC”

Leon is a pretty cool guy and doesn't afraid of anything

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

wonder if his legal team is all the lawyers that @ him their resumes

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

But are the situations the same? There's no legal expectation for engineers to understand relevant laws, like there might be in finance or something. The coders at Twitter didn't have to pass legal exams or get certified. "We violated an FTC requirement we didn't even know existed after our rear end in a top hat boss decided not to hire a new legal department" can't be grounds for getting sued into oblivion for accidentally violating a requirement, surely?

I think this really depends on a lot of things. If you violated that law intentionally, of your own choice, I think you could be ask risk over the company if the company could prove that. Part of how they could prove it is to show the legal training they have everyone go through annually that says things like "Don't send code for managing rockets to Russia" and show that you went through that training, based on logs in their system.

It won't show that Musk walked over to your desk and yelled at you until you gave in and sent the rocket code to Russia.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
In the uk you also have people like company secretaries who are responsibly for aligning to whatever laws the company may encounter in their search for fluidity,
I've been offered the position a couple of times and sure could have earned some bux, but as you can see from my not in prison status, i politely declined.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Elmo thinks he’s above the law.

He's been right more often than he's been wrong on that. Hard to enforce the law on a guy who has more money than many sovereign nations.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/Cat_Zakrzewski/status/1590749773619171328

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1590755815144960000

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

"How do you define a troll?"

"Anyone making fun of ME or Twitter!"

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
8 hours out of the new 16-hour in-office work days for all Twitter engineers will consist of going through spam/bot reports manually and clicking YES/NO on each. TOP PRIORITY.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:allears:

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Waffle House queues up a favorite song of his

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmdiKePVUy8

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Lol at this - beginning of the thread
https://twitter.com/GergelyOrosz/status/1590619676467683334?t=ar0Gma_-mt3re0zKbRZrvg&s=19
Here's where the funny starts - the emai was sent after euro workdays had already started
https://twitter.com/GergelyOrosz/status/1590623323611799553?t=plL3y9SP5QgEWfIM4wk7cg&s=19
And he didn't warn hr
https://twitter.com/GergelyOrosz/status/1590721798647459843?t=ROGP3D90iHfXAUA4t0Gf_A&s=19

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I think "FTC injunction" and "blacklisted by payment processors" are neck and neck for immediate cause of Twitter's downfall (with "spaghetti code unravelling" being a not-so distant third)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Report every Elon Tweet as spam.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
At this point it’s just a matter of betting on how Twitter dies

1. Unfixable and hilariously long downtime
2. Small accruing bugs that make it almost unusable
3. Overrun by right wing idiots (esp if Musk goes over to the office of Al Gorithm and prioritizes his stans)
4. The FTC
5. Runs out of money
6. Trying to become a bank and failing
7. Blacklisted by all payment processors

The answer is likely a combo of all of them I guess

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Uh, I dunno. Like, the sham thing where the company makes everyone sign a "don't violate laws" agreement and then says it was the employees' responsibility isn't gonna do that.

But lets say Elon walks into your office tomorrow and says "we're gonna sell all user information to advertisers with no limit, you get that set up by the end of the week". If you don't think about things like COPA, then yes it could be your rear end on the line as well as the company. You don't have any evidence that you were specifically instructed to sell all data including kids, welp, guess it was your decision!

This is why the advice by the departing CISO said not to sign anything without looking closely.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

goatface posted:

you are now marked a confirmed troll by the algorithm.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I would just ignore anything Elon says to do at this point, including if he tries to fire you. There is nothing illegal about doing so and probably will just save everyone's rear end, including his, in the future as he tries to faceroll everything.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Violent overthrow of the server rooms by an angry collective of junior staffers and complete deletion of the database.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

goatface posted:

Patch notes: Can no longer block or report Elon

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

twitter engineers allegedly have to sign FTC consent forms & must understand the laws. not sure the exact legal implications, but it sounds like they might be held to account in some capacity now that the overarching legal entities are gone.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Rad Russian posted:

8 hours out of the new 16-hour in-office work days for all Twitter engineers will consist of going through spam/bot reports manually and clicking YES/NO on each. TOP PRIORITY.

Manual verification, no machine learning? Sad!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

There is no greater pro argument for WFH than the fact that Elon is against it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

Manual verification, no machine learning? Sad!

AIs can't be expected to work when given conflicting instructions every day.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
If you're a twitter employee and you're not spending all day every day applying for other jobs, what are you even doing rn

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Serious_Cyclone posted:

If you're a twitter employee and you're not spending all day every day applying for other jobs, what are you even doing rn

chitchatting by the 'ol kegerator in the kitchen?

kru
Oct 5, 2003

I'd be doing gently caress all. Just sitting around. May as well!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

checkmark update: after conceding that existing verified users can keep their checkmark without paying, elon has now changed his mind again and wants paying to be the only way to get a checkmark

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1590757322149998592

also the highest ranked replies to this tweet (for me at least) are all fake elon crypto money doubler scams lol

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
Both polishing my resume and trying to look as redundant as possible so that I get included in the next botched layoff that will result in class action dollars

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

People have been working from home for years at this point. There must be tons of employees who've joined since then who have always worked from home and don't live in the same State as any with Twitter offices in.

Also have they bothered paying rent/not selling off all this office space they haven't needed for those years, seems unlikely. Do they physically possess enough Office Space and supporting facilities for everyone to theoretically turn up to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Deptfordx posted:

People have been working from home for years at this point. There must be tons of employees who've joined since then who have always worked from home and don't live in the same State as any with Twitter offices in.

Also have they bothered paying rent/not selling off all this office space they haven't needed for those years, seems unlikely. Do they physically possess enough Office Space and supporting facilities for everyone to theoretically turn up to?

one of marissa mayer's first orders at yahoo was to force everyone back into the office. that worked out great for her.

the twitter office in SF is huge, and before the pandemic a large percentage worked in that office (it is pretty nice, i've been in their old office and that one was already pretty big). so in SF yes. else where, specially outside of US? *shrug*