Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Larryb posted:

Is the third island the worst area in the game or do the last two have their own share of bullshit as well?

The last island feels like it was made second, its way easier but also more fun.

As for the 4th one, its a solid uh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Augus posted:

oops you stepped on the wrong platform, your fun privileges are now revoked. you are hereby sentenced to mandatory community service in the form of an awkward obstacle course where you can't see poo poo in order to free yourself from 2D hedgehog prison

i swear to god island 3 has boost pads set up intentionally like landmines where you're running along and suddenly you step wrong and boom, you're in a chain of 5 of them and perspective locked to a 2d platforming section

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Also I spent like an hour trying to get to the first emerald because I didn't think to try getting to it from the south when it's northish

Stupid rear end rail junctions

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zoig posted:

The last island feels like it was made second, its way easier but also more fun.

As for the 4th one, its a solid uh.

Do you still need to collect Vault Keys to get the emeralds or are you done with that after the third island? Also I know you can’t refight the Titans but what about the final boss?

Also can you unlock Super Sonic during regular gameplay after you finish the game or is he exclusively for boss fights?

Lastly is there some kind of cutscene viewer you can unlock (I wanted to try out the Japanese voice track as one of my favorite VA’s voices Sage but didn’t want to have to replay the entire game just to see the story again)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 10, 2022

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
Man, I'm not sure how to feel about Parry not requiring timing. I get that tight timing like that mid-combat is an acquired taste, but this game's combat is basically a hack-and-slash already, so lacking on the counterattack mechanic timing feels a touch disappointing?

Also, am I weird for thinking the Titans just stop being threatening when you go Super Sonic? I know that's the whole point of Super Sonic, but even on Hard the complete lack of incoming damage just removes all of the urgency, and it wouldn't be the first time that Super Sonic could have Rings knocked out of him.

Also also, gently caress the third island. It took me longer than I care to admit to figure out how to reach the White Emerald.

All gripes and jank aside, I've been enjoying the game immensely so far. If a future Sonic game takes this formula and improves upon it, it could very well be the best thing Sonic Team has ever done.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

SL the Pyro posted:

Man, I'm not sure how to feel about Parry not requiring timing. I get that tight timing like that mid-combat is an acquired taste, but this game's combat is basically a hack-and-slash already, so lacking on the counterattack mechanic timing feels a touch disappointing?

They pretty clearly originally intended for it to require timing and pulled it out at the last second for some reason. Maybe people were having too much trouble with some of the titan fights or something.

_____!
May 2, 2004

Yeah yeah yeah game is good and there are some legitimate critiques but what's most important is that 20 seconds into the first level the physics just stopped at a loop and pressing backwards rockets me 90 degrees off of a cliff to bangin' tunes. That's the Adventure/Heroes style I remember :3:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I don’t mind the Parry being easy personally, it comes in handy for boss fights at the very least

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It should require timing with normal Sonic and maybe let it be automatic with Super

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SL the Pyro posted:

Also, am I weird for thinking the Titans just stop being threatening when you go Super Sonic? I know that's the whole point of Super Sonic, but even on Hard the complete lack of incoming damage just removes all of the urgency, and it wouldn't be the first time that Super Sonic could have Rings knocked out of him.

Also also, gently caress the third island. It took me longer than I care to admit to figure out how to reach the White Emerald.

All gripes and jank aside, I've been enjoying the game immensely so far. If a future Sonic game takes this formula and improves upon it, it could very well be the best thing Sonic Team has ever done.

I really want to see an after-the-fact dev breakdown because the obviously-late-add hold to parry thing seems like the last domino in what had to be a cascade of decisions and I'd be curious what led to it. I'd put at least some money on it being the titan fights being cinematic but not really integrated into the combat gameplay loop, someone said "making all these fights 100% QTE is bad, we shouldn't do that", then they slapped parries into the fights but didn't have enough time to redo the titans to signpost the parriable attacks properly. Which would also explain why the second island's titan has a 3rd phase QTE that OHKOs you back to the very start of the fight and is also a type of QTE that isn't used anywhere else required prior (barring fishing, sort of) so get hosed if you weren't expecting it and think you need to spam like the prior titan's QTEs (which, coincidentally, makes the white ring fail to ever pop out).

Larryb posted:

I don’t mind the Parry being easy personally, it comes in handy for boss fights at the very least

I'm glad I got it on PC because playing it with timed parries would be fun if and only if I can put parry on one button instead of a combo button press, and I'm sure there'll be a mod that does both eventually

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Larryb posted:

Do you still need to collect Vault Keys to get the emeralds or are you done with that after the third island? Also I know you can’t refight the Titans but what about the final boss?

Also can you unlock Super Sonic during regular gameplay after you finish the game or is he exclusively for boss fights?

Lastly is there some kind of cutscene viewer you can unlock (I wanted to try out the Japanese voice track as one of my favorite VA’s voices Sage but didn’t want to have to replay the entire game just to see the story again)?

Yes you still need keys, and the rest is all no as far as i can tell

I honestly might replay the game because its actually pretty fun overall? I beelined to the end to avoid being spoiled so now I kinda want to take my time with it. Would like to go for 100% but what that means seems a little nebulous.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
There's some annoyances that crop up from time to time, but Frontiers rules

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zoig posted:

I honestly might replay the game because its actually pretty fun overall? I beelined to the end to avoid being spoiled so now I kinda want to take my time with it. Would like to go for 100% but what that means seems a little nebulous.

So can you not even fight the last boss again? That’s weird (also that makes this the first Sonic game not to have some kind of Theater Mode since the Adventure series). Is there anything to do in the postgame besides Arcade Mode then?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Yeah this game feels like it’s scope was like 60% too big for the budget (which seems meager as gently caress like c’mon sega) but gently caress it it’s fun. It’s real fun. And it’s not like there’s another giant open world game out there where you run around at 500 mph.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Zoig posted:

There are Steam achievements for level 100 in all stats so all I can say is "thank god for fishing", I'd be a lot saltier about how easily-missed the kocos are otherwise

I was initially more worried about missing things when it looked like random mobs were dropping upgrade seeds and vault keys but they really went all in with the "do whatever the hell you want to finish this, we don't give a gently caress" aspect

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I will not be getting rings or speed up to 100 as that is 100 slow button prompts on top of the gathering of kokos. im going for 100% map completion, no more.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

The third island is good. Farewell

Yeah it might be my fav of them tbh

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Modders have been tinkering with the game. Interestingly, momentum physics do exist but due to a combination of Sonic accelerating so quickly, Sonic having a low top speed cap and the momentum values being kept rather low means you barely notice them. By making Sonic accelerate slower, have faster top speed and upping the momentum values you can apparently accurately recreate Genesis style physics but in 3D.

https://twitter.com/ShowinGrowin/status/1590702100983721987

Doc Melonhead
Sep 2, 2018

Larryb posted:

So can you not even fight the last boss again? That’s weird (also that makes this the first Sonic game not to have some kind of Theater Mode since the Adventure series). Is there anything to do in the postgame besides Arcade Mode then?
you have to set the game's difficulty to hard before you set foot on the final Island; only then you can properly fight THE END after you defeat Supreme

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doc Melonhead posted:

you have to set the game's difficulty to hard before you set foot on the final Island; only then you can properly fight THE END after you defeat Supreme

Oh I know that, I was just asking if the game let you fight Supreme/The End again after loading a clear game save. Also does it have to be immediately before starting the island? You can’t just switch it over to Hard right before you fight Supreme?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 10, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
How long does the infinite boost buff last? It seems to go on forever, not sure if it's tied to anything or just got a really long time limit.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It's until you get hit.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Well that's the platinum done, in.. 19h20m

Hot tip for the Phantom Rush 50 times one - find a spring guy in Ares and just Sonic Boom him repeatedly instead of actually fighting it, nothing else (except Sumo) lived long enough to get PR going

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

modders already fixed the cyberspace physics lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlLwhDQejhM

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I appear to be going around in circles, how do I get across the gap to the other side of the third island (the one the red emerald is on)?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

111 A ranks, 137 emblems! All I've got left for Knuckles is Death Chamber, which just, loving sucks. Hate it. It's literally got maps all over the walls and it's still the worst level to navigate.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Well that's the platinum done, in.. 19h20m

Hot tip for the Phantom Rush 50 times one - find a spring guy in Ares and just Sonic Boom him repeatedly instead of actually fighting it, nothing else (except Sumo) lived long enough to get PR going

You could just farm it off an asura's legs too

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

kirbysuperstar posted:

even eggman is a pronoun respecter

Eggman has always been an ally

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

FireWorksWell posted:

You could just farm it off an asura's legs too

Oh yeah that'd work

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

How many bosses are there? Finished boss 2 and while these are easy as hell the music makes them a treat

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

How many bosses are there? Finished boss 2 and while these are easy as hell the music makes them a treat

6 not counting minibosses, one Titan per island and an additional boss at the end if you’re playing on Hard mode

Also seriously, how do I get across the massive gap to the other side of Chaos Island? Every path I find seems to just lead me in a circle

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out through dumb luck

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 11, 2022

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Larryb posted:

6 not counting minibosses, one Titan per island and an additional boss at the end if you’re playing on Hard mode

Without spoiling anything, how does this work? Is a true ending locked behind it or any achievements? I’ve been playing on normal.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

man nurse posted:

Without spoiling anything, how does this work? Is a true ending locked behind it or any achievements? I’ve been playing on normal.

You get a bonus scene during the ending but that’s about it as far as I’m aware. You don’t need to do anything special either, just bump the difficulty up to Hard before you take on the last Titan (or right when you arrive on the last island, I forget which)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 11, 2022

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I had to buy keys from big on island 3 to get the blue emerald to show up as I can't find any levels. Now it's across this big rear end gap and there's these lovely birds shooting lasers at me that I can't target or attack what the gently caress is happening

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I had to buy keys from big on island 3 to get the blue emerald to show up as I can't find any levels. Now it's across this big rear end gap and there's these lovely birds shooting lasers at me that I can't target or attack what the gently caress is happening

parry the bird a couple times and you can ride it

i don't think it's intended to get across some of the island 3 gaps but all of the bits that are far apart usually have Exactly 1 way to get from one side to the other and I couldn't always be assed to try and run around looking to see if the obvious route would suddenly pop in

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

man nurse posted:

I just beat the game on hard then went back and beat the final boss on normal because there's a different credits song for some reason. Normal just skips the final final boss entirely and doesn't tell you its there, the ending is the exact same

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

I just beat the game on hard then went back and beat the final boss on normal because there's a different credits song for some reason. Normal just skips the final final boss entirely and doesn't tell you its there, the ending is the exact same

Really? I heard there was also an extra scene either after or during the credits on Hard (or is the scene at the very end where Eggman is shown reactivating Sage present on all difficulties?). Good to know you can replay the final boss though

Also to specify on how to unlock it, you just need to bump the difficulty up to Hard before you grab the 6th emerald on the last island.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

parry the bird a couple times and you can ride it

i don't think it's intended to get across some of the island 3 gaps but all of the bits that are far apart usually have Exactly 1 way to get from one side to the other and I couldn't always be assed to try and run around looking to see if the obvious route would suddenly pop in

There are conventional ways of getting the emeralds (for example the path to the red one is unlocked via story progression) but the birds do provide a handy shortcut at least

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 11, 2022

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Larryb posted:

There are conventional ways of getting the emeralds (for example the path to the red one is unlocked via story progression) but the birds do provide a handy shortcut at least

yeah the times I did it "wrong" I usually saw the intended route immediately afterwards

I do appreciate games that let me play them wrong though

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
lol this game is weird as gently caress. its not bad, i had fun but like, deeply strange game. it does the buttrocky sa2 stuff i like but sort of out of nowhere with 0 build up. extremely bizarre finale. i would play a sequel of this game that just had a little extra 'something' but i couldnt tell you what that would be.

also fishing is insanely broken once you get to the last island. you could scrounge for 20 stat up items or fish up one thing in 3 seconds and buy even more. never go into a level if you dont want, just fish fish fish. good music

the pop-in is busted and really bad considering how you move around the open world

its a very bad oversight that for the seed stats you can turn everything in at once but for the ring/speed stats you'd have to painstakingly go through the dialog options 198 times

overall i'd say the game rapidly swings between a 4/10 and 8/10 or so depending on the moment. good 30 dollar pickup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yeah I'm not having a good time anymore. Got my way to the blue emerald and 'find tails'

Marker shows him on a floating round platform and I've activated everything I can think of but can't figure out how to get him and now I'm just frustrated and in a bad mood. Island 3 is what will kill me ever wanting to look at this game again if I force myself through this