Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Whoever thought that bringing back spreading plague was a good idea needs to be fired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
New 1 and 2 frost rune cards are up on twitter, 3 frost rune cards are coming in 30 minutes: https://twitter.com/PlayHearthstone

1 frost rune cards seem insanely strong and absolutely worth splashing (better conc that draws a card and 3 mana frostbolt+swipe, on top of some insane tempo/aggro cards).
2 frost rune cards are strong too, but in a way that has frost synergy to the point where you probably might as well go 3 - depends what the payoff is, I'm not sold on the 7 mana spell that has been revealed already.

edit:

Ok this card is bonkers combined with how good frost spells are, how easy it is to draw them, and how many of them can go face.

Oenis fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 8, 2022

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Saying death coil and death grip don’t match class identity when those just are the identities of the class from the previous games is pretty funny.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

More than anything, I am impressed with them rolling out death night as a class. especially considering how much legwork it seems it'll have to put into it moving forward. The OverWatch and world of Warcraft developers seem to be loving the dog non-stop. meanwhile, hearthstone doesn't seem to be suffering from that as much. except for maybe the new monetization garbage.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Frost looks like generic-rear end miracle/combo/burst stuff, which is less than boring to me. I didn’t like it when Rogue did it, I didn’t like it when Priest did it, I I didn’t like it when Druid did it, I didn’t like it when Mage did it, and I didn’t like it when Demon Hunter did it, so I can’t imagine this take on it will be the one that grabs me. Hopefully Unholy and Blood have some stuff that’s more my speed.

It’s kind of weird in retrospect that they went all-in on the Volatile Skeletons theme for Mage last set knowing that ability would be in Death Knight’s wheelhouse going forward.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

bravesword posted:

Frost looks like generic-rear end miracle/combo/burst stuff, which is less than boring to me. I didn’t like it when Rogue did it, I didn’t like it when Priest did it, I I didn’t like it when Druid did it, I didn’t like it when Mage did it, and I didn’t like it when Demon Hunter did it, so I can’t imagine this take on it will be the one that grabs me. Hopefully Unholy and Blood have some stuff that’s more my speed.

It’s kind of weird in retrospect that they went all-in on the Volatile Skeletons theme for Mage last set knowing that ability would be in Death Knight’s wheelhouse going forward.

Might have been a test? I know during Brode's time as HS Team 5 leader they said they make expansions months in advance, but I don't think that's true anymore. Maybe some base prototypes but the expansions seem to reflect where the current game is going.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I think it is still true because I remember when the warrior quest came out a dev commented that they were still using it during playtesting for the expansion due in 12 months or something.

Here are all the new DK spoilers:

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

I have a challenge quest if anyone wants the xp with me Bobsaget911#1771 quest done

Big Coffin Hunter fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 9, 2022

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Kalko posted:

I think it is still true because I remember when the warrior quest came out a dev commented that they were still using it during playtesting for the expansion due in 12 months or something.

It’s never been confirmed, but I feel absolutely certain that the Suspicious Pirate from Nathria was nerfed in development as a direct result of the Questline. The other two Suspicious guys are one mana 1/3s, but the Pirate one is a Spider Tank, despite its effect not really being any stronger — but it does have the Pirate tag, and after nerfing the Pirate Questline twice, I bet they were leery about giving that deck another cheap Pirate to work with.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I've only been playing a couple years, and casual at that, but I have a question about RNG matchmaking in battlegrounds.

Last week I was around 6300 ranking and fairly steadily moving up. Just as I got close to 6500, I started getting absolutely shithammered by builds that were easily double my strength by endgame.

This continued, for a week. I kept getting hammered and hammered with a string of finishes at 6 or 7. It took me down to 6000 and hung there for a bit. Then, all of a sudden, I was competitive again and putting together finishes of 2 or 3. Nothing changed in my play style, what am I missing?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

meatpimp posted:

I've only been playing a couple years, and casual at that, but I have a question about RNG matchmaking in battlegrounds.

Last week I was around 6300 ranking and fairly steadily moving up. Just as I got close to 6500, I started getting absolutely shithammered by builds that were easily double my strength by endgame.

This continued, for a week. I kept getting hammered and hammered with a string of finishes at 6 or 7. It took me down to 6000 and hung there for a bit. Then, all of a sudden, I was competitive again and putting together finishes of 2 or 3. Nothing changed in my play style, what am I missing?

I believe there was a rank floor at one point around 6000, but really, it's that you are reaching the point where you cross over from "people who play BGs on the toilet" in the 6000-6500 range and into the "tryhard" range in 7k+. The players have all the same resources you do, so it's just about learning the meta and getting better, at this point.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Toshimo posted:

I believe there was a rank floor at one point around 6000, but really, it's that you are reaching the point where you cross over from "people who play BGs on the toilet" in the 6000-6500 range and into the "tryhard" range in 7k+. The players have all the same resources you do, so it's just about learning the meta and getting better, at this point.

Fair enough. What's a good place to deep dive on the meta? God help me, I shouldn't ask that.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Unholy isnt looking as strong as the other runes but I absolutely love this card

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Unholy DK seems to have solid self synergy and value generation. It's the most likely to have some kind of looming presence in most metas. Frost seems very Miracle focused and may not always have the gas it needs to fight for a spot in the meta. Blood being control based means good luck, it'll either dominate or suck.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

i... forgot who i picked

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

frajaq posted:

Unholy isnt looking as strong as the other runes but I absolutely love this card

It gets Bloodlust so I disagree

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Unholy gets a giant that decreases with cost when they spend corpses, I think Unholy power level looks really strong tbh. Card draw seems to be its real weakness.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I'm going to submit an early hot take and say that any of the triple rune DK builds will have to be super focused with big payoff, and so far none of the payoffs look good enough. The 1-rune cards are overall stronger, and it would have to take way more than what we've seen to not do hybrid builds.

example: All the 1-frost cards that do flexible burn damage are stronger and fit better with 2-unholy cards than 3-unholy stuff does.

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 9, 2022

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I can't believe Patchwerk is only one blood rune. Going to be an easy splash for that I think depending on the rest of blood

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Here are the other revealed cards from today:

I'm here for The Scourge.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
The Scourge looks perfect

For jackpot rogue!!!

:getin:

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yep, I'm looking forward to high rolling some of these DK cards that cost multiple runes because it feels like bonus value when you get to disregard the deck building cost. But then all the ones that require corpses are also clogging up the pool so it probably evens out.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

AnacondaHL posted:

I'm going to submit an early hot take and say that any of the triple rune DK builds will have to be super focused with big payoff, and so far none of the payoffs look good enough. The 1-rune cards are overall stronger, and it would have to take way more than what we've seen to not do hybrid builds.

example: All the 1-frost cards that do flexible burn damage are stronger and fit better with 2-unholy cards than 3-unholy stuff does.

For now, I'm probably going to think about triple-rune DK builds as a deck simplicity thing and not a "this is a way to make the best deck for any given meta" thing. Like, you don't make a triple-undead deck because you want literally the best token deck in most metas, because being the best token deck means having tools to deal with weird stuff without folding instantly. But having those tools requires someone thinking about what tools are best for the meta and which pieces of 1* blood/frost are the best for them and it's just a lot of deckbuilding. Or... I could just go pure undead and put two copies of a Bloodlust equivalent in my deck and my playstyle is going to be painfully rigid in a lot of ways but that's fine because that's what I chose.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

The only DK discover card we've seen so far explicitly states it can only find cards of its own rune type, but I assume neutral discover effects will let you get anything. That might be one way to cheat some value, especially seeing as how small discover pools amplify the power of the effect.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
I believe they did confirm that “discover a spell” disregards runes. School Teacher seems absurd in DK if so — there are very few whiffs, and lots of strong cards. (Imagine doubling Vampiric Blood with Brann, going to 60, and also incidentally drawing two cards.)

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
I keep reading on reddit that reborn minions only ever give one corpse instead of 2 like I had assumed, does anyone have an official source for that handy? I couldn't find one and I want to know for sure.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

I don’t know why that would be the case when they have a specific text for that. Anything with Risen in the name typically doesn’t give a corpse and has text saying so.

On the other hand it kind of makes sense because of what reborn means for the literal characters corpse. But then how are you extracting anima from them twice to infuse anyway?

Disargeria fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Nov 10, 2022

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Oenis posted:

I keep reading on reddit that reborn minions only ever give one corpse instead of 2 like I had assumed, does anyone have an official source for that handy? I couldn't find one and I want to know for sure.

Reborn minions give corpses.
Risen minons generated from corpses have specific text saying that they don't generate corpses

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
There was a patch today

The basic set is included in the arena now. Unfortunately, the pools for discovers and random generation are empty, making a bunch of cards not do anything, so they shut the arena down.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Luff posted:

There was a patch today

The basic set is included in the arena now. Unfortunately, the pools for discovers and random generation are empty, making a bunch of cards not do anything, so they shut the arena down.

small indie game dev

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

huh

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Brannable, lol

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

fun question of “how many turns do you need for it to be worth playing a War Golem”

I’d say probably 5-6? It’s an ok wincon but only if you play it pretty early

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

Brann him out for 6 damage a turn? It's not so much a finisher as a strategy to achieve victory eventually by playing very reactive/passively. Seems like it would only be good in a very specific kind of control deck.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It would be an incredibly powerful effect in the right deck/meta because certain kinds of aggressive decks only care about face damage after turn 6. And a 7/7 body isnt good enough but it's still a real threat. I havent read the DK pool enough to see how it will fit.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
It's the kind of effect hardcore blood control needs to actually have a win condition that isn't boring as hell, so I'm not going to complain.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

meatpimp posted:

A similar kind of thing happened to me. The mmr for battlegrounds (and constructed too I think) has a visible number you see that gets reset, and a hidden value that isn't reset. The hidden value is the only thing that's used for matchmaking.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
All the cards released today

Hard to say yet if mono Blood DK will work

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I'm not seeing it but I'm usually hilariously wrong so Blood DK tier 0 meta tyrant I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I'm liking blood the most so far. It has that classic control feel plus some hand buff which is often bad but fun to imagine working well.