Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
OMG Russia stop listening to the United States.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Al-Saqr posted:

which begs the question

IF YOU DONT WANT CASUALTIES TO THE POINT THAT LOSING THE WAR IS PREFERRED, WHY DID YOU loving START THE WAR IN THE FIRST PLACE?!

The only explanation that makes sense to me is that they actually thought it would be a short, contained war where they would take a bunch of territory initially, which they did, and then sit at the gates of Kyiv while Zelensky and the Ukrainian populace collectively poop themselves and quickly sue for peace on favorable terms. In that scenario, Russia walks away with not just their prewar goals completed, but Ukraine and everyone else who would think of playing hardball suitably chasened and ready to negotiate favorable terms for whatever Russia wants the next time they come knocking.

When Ukraine didn't capitulate and sue for peace, they didn't have a plan B, they were genuinely shocked and have since been desperately trying whatever they can to force them to the negotiating table under conditions favorable to Russia. But the same material reasons they couldn't actually take Kyiv at the start of the war are the same reasons they can't force them to the table.

As you point out, Russia doesn't have the political will to endure the kind of heavy casualties necessary to force Ukraine to the table under favorable conditions. Ading conscripts to the effort isn't going to work, because well...dead conscripts add to the political pressure in a way that dead volunteer soldiers do not.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

if this retreat actually is a massive failure and large numbers of russian troops are captured or killed crossing the river, the war is probably over

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

me when I look at American imperialism :dafuq:

me when I look at Russian imperialism :dafuq:

me when I read Xi Jinping thought :discourse:

:hmmyes:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Hahahahaaaa are you loving kidding me?!

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
hoi4 AI rear end political leadership

Icehawk
Jul 19, 2022

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1590823258022350849

https://twitter.com/WarMonitor3/status/1590818598783975424

Sounds like the Dnipro river is gonna be real messy tomorrow.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

lmao

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

speng31b posted:

if this retreat actually is a massive failure and large numbers of russian troops are captured or killed crossing the river, the war is probably over

There's already been multiple times where Russia suffered heavy troop losses, why is this time different?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

evilmiera posted:

There's already been multiple times where Russia suffered heavy troop losses, why is this time different?

this would be seen as the cumulation of a massive series of fuckups that even most hardcore rashists are acknowledging and freaking out about, and putin has no further levers they can pull for escalation. it would be over.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

evilmiera posted:

because the first time was a failed decapitation strike and the next time (izium) it was a total surprise. this one seems like a total fuckup

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Russians naturally planned for a controlled withdrawal with various units intended to stay behind until later, screening along defensive lines

but if the orders were handed out piecemeal, with world trickling down only yesterday through the stay behind elements and you got a mixture of units not being sure if they were stay behinds or not, plus you know not wanting to be left behind to loving die, well...

probably a lot of chaos

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
ofc could all just be an ukrainian psyop to rattle the defenders idk

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

ofc could all just be an ukrainian psyop to rattle the defenders idk

if so it's probably their most successful so far

maybe posting is a war front

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
now they can rattle in a kettle.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
a literal CIA plant running the kremlin couldn’t have done a better job than putin is at destroying his own country and it’s strategic goals and military prestige, the Russians have earned every bit of this humiliating rout, this is tsar Nicholas levels of incompetence. hahah this rules

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Supposedly, it is probably bogus according to the thread although the Ukrainians are pressing the Russians as they withdrawal.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Ardennes posted:

Supposedly, it is probably bogus according to the thread although the Ukrainians are pressing the Russians as they withdrawal.

I made that rhyme for no reason. Boy, al-saqring is hard.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

speng31b posted:

this would be seen as the cumulation of a massive series of fuckups that even most hardcore rashists are acknowledging and freaking out about, and putin has no further levers they can pull for escalation. it would be over.

I mean, yeah, but again the fuckups have been going on for 9 months, and the army just got a bunch of new cannon fodder. I would think the average Russian doesn't care unless more intense mobilization happens. Isn't it more likely they will just fire another local general and keep going on like nothing was wrong?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

every American troop dead is a heavy loss

speng31b
May 8, 2010

evilmiera posted:

I would think the average Russian doesn't care unless more intense mobilization happens. Isn't it more likely they will just fire another local general and keep going on like nothing was wrong?

nah, i think you're underestimating how pissed off the russians are at their own failures here

e: to be clear i still think there's a far better than average chance the retreat isn't as catastrophic as random twitters are saying it is, so it's a moot point

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

speng31b posted:

good! the war can finally end, Ukraine played the game right and earned its victory, thankfully this means the killing stops.

the only way putin makes it out of this disaster alive is if he has an Arab dictators luck and no amount of failure will remove him from power.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

https://twitter.com/DPRKJones/status/1590667915841654785

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Ideological hardening of the Anti-Communist variety you say...

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Conspiratiorist posted:

cuz zel wouldnt sign minks 2 duh

stfu

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Calibanibal posted:

evacuated to Valhalla, where he will feast and drink in the great hall of Odin until the day of Ragnarok

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Conspiratiorist posted:

cuz zel wouldnt sign minks 2 duh

It would be a very different war if it started over a treaty on mink farming.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

He goes on to suggest Russia keeps leaving behind heavy equipment like this because everyone's afraid to take responsibility for blowing it up so it just kind of gets left behind if it can't be withdrawn.

well, you don't just throw stuff out, that's wasteful

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the quicker this war finishes the better imo

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The children of Russia will soon have exciting new opportunities to express solidarity with their brave soldiers in Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/economics/status/1590761964581650433

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

The children of Russia will soon have exciting new opportunities to express solidarity with their brave soldiers in Ukraine.

lol, sounds like they're going to roll back some protections and inch closer towards a system as regressive as the US, but they've got a ways to go yet

quote:

President Vladimir Putin is the de facto leader, on Wednesday proposed a series of changes to the state labor laws, paving the way for those 14 and older to join the workforce without having to obtain permission from social service agencies.

A child wishing to get a part-time job would only have to get the consent of their parent or legal guardian.

United Russia’s plan would also free employers from having to pay for a teen prospective employee’s medical examination, which is required under the current labor laws.

speng31b has issued a correction as of 23:35 on Nov 10, 2022

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

American style opportunities

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

so i take it the Kherson retreat was not a trap? i know it sounds like cope but reddit were talking about it pretty heavily

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Al-Saqr posted:

IF YOU DONT WANT CASUALTIES TO THE POINT THAT LOSING THE WAR IS PREFERRED, WHY DID YOU loving START THE WAR IN THE FIRST PLACE?!

As others have pointed out, this is the problem with expeditionary warfare at the End of History. Low cost wars that aren't on TV and don't cause discomfort at home are so integral to the toolbox of a modern state that America had two wars going on simultaneously with hardly any notice paid to it at all.

There was no plan for if it didn't work, just like there would be no plan if say Libya received the same kind of Russian aid Israel did in 73, or the Syria hawks had no plan for Russian intervention.

We've made going to war easy, specifically tailored every western military to that, to the detriment of fighting real wars. At the same time, these changes, organizationally, doctrinally, politically, culturally, have made actually sticking it out all but impossible. A machine designed for forever war on the periphery apparently is only going to be able to do the same thing at home. The extra costs - financial, political, conscription, in public opinion- that made decisive action possible have been stripped out, so we have austere armies that can't come to blows.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 23:40 on Nov 10, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

As others have pointed out, this is the problem with expeditionary warfare at the End of History. Low cost wars that aren't on TV and don't cause discomfort at home are so integral to the toolbox of a modern state that America had two wars going on simultaneously with hardly any noticed paid to it at all.

and the biggest wtf moments were the planes full of coffins draped in flags which stopped getting televised pretty quickly

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

it feels like we're heading down the path of just hoping that Putin takes the loss and doesn't use nukes?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

CODChimera posted:

it feels like we're heading down the path of just hoping that Putin takes the loss and doesn't use nukes?

he's going to take the L and using nuke isn't a real option, it's just something people like to talk about because their brains are jacked up

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

CODChimera posted:

Pretty much. I still can't see Russia walking away with absolutely nothing without some potentially catastrophic consequences back home, so I think the best hope for peace is probably for the lines to freeze relatively soon. The question is just if Russia can actually defend what they have now or if there's going to be a new dramatic climb down from unsustainable positions in another month or two. Or I guess if Russia can do enough infrastructure damage to Ukraine they might be able to push them to at least accept a freeze to the conflict, even if they won't suddenly surrender the country or anything.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

CODChimera posted:

The same issues that prevent the Russians from winning don't preclude them from not-losing. They could sustain a low-cost, low-casualty fighting withdrawal basically indefinitely, during the summer they were able to batter the Ukrainians incessantly in exchanges that were wildly in their favour.

If this cycle of Russian position bombards Ukrainians, Ukrainians attack and take stiff losses, Ukrainians find weakly held flank, Ukrainians turn flank or even threaten to turn flank, Russian Army withdraws, continues there's no indication Ukraine will run out of fighting men and NATO equipment or Russia will run out of room to withdraw to anytime in the near future. It's a long way to the Russian border.

As others have said, and I don't know what's on Russian TV or what the mood is, the risk is that either the soldiers or the public radicalize one way or another, to transform Russia into a society that can either win or quit the war, and that's dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Hopefully both sides can just declare peace victory and call it a day.