Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
If dude had just gone to posting school, working at the rear end eating mines at night and posting in the day, this could have been avoided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
From what I understand: A Perkins loan with the name of my college as the servicer is not eligible for forgiveness. Is this correct?

e: and are loan payment reimbursements automatic now or not? Wondering if I should request a refund and apply it to my relatively low balance Perkins loan.

e again: Spoke with my loan servicer (mygreatlakes) who said it's unnecessary to request a refund for your payments made from March 13, 2020 on. The ED will forgive the balance that existed on that date. If you made payments they will automatically be refunded by your servicer as you'll have then a negative loan balance. However, you might get your cash earlier (in 30-75 business days) if you do the refund now. Took me about 8 minutes, mostly listening through robot menus.

Keep in mind that loan payments should restart on Jan 1st (unless they're delayed again due to this court drama, which I expect.) So it's possible the money being added back to your account when the refund is processed prior to forgiveness could lead to more interest being generated.

Greatest Living Man fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 24, 2022

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
Mods should probably think about renaming this thread “The student loan debt forgiveness rigamarole runaround starts October “ for accuracy’s sake.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
Pending merge with star citizen thread?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
No please let’s just talk about iPads again and stuff in your home thread there’s so much more we can work with if you pivot soon enough

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

OP is handling freedom like a true recidivist prisoner

Obama2
Oct 22, 2021
:thaoldme:student loan borrowers unable to tell when they’re getting the run around news at 11 get back to work BITCH!!!!! 😂:blaster: :ussr:

Obama2
Oct 22, 2021

nom epique posted:

Pending merge with star citizen thread?

At least Star citizen makes money unlike SOME people

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm going to be super charitable and assume this was a mistake, and take the opportunity to warn people not to poo poo up this thread in case that wasn't already clear.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Anyone have any luck calling Mohela to get a refund? The options the automated attendant gave me were "press 1 to speak to someone about the loan forgiveness application (redirects to FSA's number) or stay on the line to opt out" lmao. Unfortunately then my phone ran out of service so I'll have to try again later tonight

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Kit Walker posted:

Anyone have any luck calling Mohela to get a refund? The options the automated attendant gave me were "press 1 to speak to someone about the loan forgiveness application (redirects to FSA's number) or stay on the line to opt out" lmao. Unfortunately then my phone ran out of service so I'll have to try again later tonight

A couple people in a different student loan thread got their refunds from Mohela. I don't know the specifics of what they did, but they said they just called them and it took about 30 minutes.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

A couple people in a different student loan thread got their refunds from Mohela. I don't know the specifics of what they did, but they said they just called them and it took about 30 minutes.

Neat, thanks. I'll keep trying

e: Yeah cool that was relatively easy. I called at a super busy time unfortunately and had to wait on hold for like an hour but asking for a voluntary refund and getting that sorted out was pretty quick once I got a person on the line. They gave an estimate of 60 days for the refund to go through, though it could also be faster, and I guess now I'll just play the waiting game

I debated just doing the FSA student loan debt relief application since the description on the site seems to indicate that they'll sort out the refund themselves if you do, but my bank account has changed since I made my payments and I wasn't sure exactly how they'd handle that. The Mohela representative said that if the account they have on their records doesn't work, that they'll just mail you a paper check. Also that I could just change the bank account I have on their record on my account on their site, which I did pretty quickly during the call. I guess I'll have to hold off on filling out the debt relief application now until this refund goes through? Hopefully I'm not making a mistake by waiting and giving the courts and government more time to possibly gently caress over debt relief but, eh

Hope someone finds this helpful

Kit Walker fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 27, 2022

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

So who is this 10/31 deadline for exactly? Im working towards PSLF currently as a teacher and I'm 7 years in. I switched schools 3 years in (both my previous and current schools qualify). Do I need to submit docs from my previous employer by the 31st or else it doesn't count? Or is the deadline just for consolidating FFEL loans?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Deadline to get the ball rolling. Consolidation could take a month or so

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
when I stated college it about 300 a credit. I say take the money and run

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
*Looks at calendar*

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

such devotion

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
You gotta respect it.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/21/us-appeals-court-temporarily-blocks-bidens-student-loan-forgiveness-plan.html

Ahem,

Kindly gently caress you:
Nebraska
Missouri
Arkansas
Iowa
Kansas
South Carolina

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Cannon_Fodder posted:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/21/us-appeals-court-temporarily-blocks-bidens-student-loan-forgiveness-plan.html

Ahem,

Nebraska
Missouri
Arkansas
Iowa
Kansas
South Carolina

Yeah that’s from a while back in October. Waiting on the appeals court to review it…which they’ve had a week to so far. I’m not sure what’s taking so long. Is there any political motivation to wait until after the midterms? Also does this whole forgiveness thing get stuck again if republicans take the house?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

buglord posted:

Also does this whole forgiveness thing get stuck again if republicans take the house?

No, only the court can fully strike it down. It's being done executively, so the only way it could be stopped through legislation is if Biden signs it.

The case hasn't even made it to court yet. The current decision is about whether to require the DOE to wait until the court case is finished before it can do anything. So, if the appeals court does decide to block it, then it isn't actually dead, but you'll be in for a multiple months wait before you know if it is dead for sure.

The appeals court taking this long is a little odd, but not outside the realm of normal. You would hope they would pretty quickly dismiss for lack of standing, but there are some extreme judges on that circuit. I would be about 10% worried right now, but jump that up to 80% if they enforce a stay until the case is over.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Thanks for the detailed response and help as always, Leon.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
It also came out the the core of what they are using is an organization that they never talked to, and just filed the case without getting them to sign on. So the actual standing is even more Shakey, with the argument being that it will cost the state of Missouri tax revenue if they forgive the loans (this hasn't been proven)

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Ahem,

Nebraska
Missouri
Arkansas
Iowa
Kansas
South Carolina

civil war over student loans forgiveness l m a o

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
They so kindly provided a list of all the states that should have their statehood revoked.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

lmao that legal chicanery has made the thread title untrue

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

poisonpill posted:

lmao that legal chicanery has made the thread title untrue

General Bullshit > Student Loan Debt Forgiveness - Fits and Starts since October 2022

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Cannon_Fodder posted:

General Bullshit > Student Loan Debt Forgiveness - Shits and Farts since October 2022

I fixed that for you.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

Greatest Living Man posted:

e again: Spoke with my loan servicer (mygreatlakes) who said it's unnecessary to request a refund for your payments made from March 13, 2020 on. The ED will forgive the balance that existed on that date. If you made payments they will automatically be refunded by your servicer as you'll have then a negative loan balance. However, you might get your cash earlier (in 30-75 business days) if you do the refund now. Took me about 8 minutes, mostly listening through robot menus.

Just got my refund for those payments made. I'm unsure if it came from my servicer or ED, but the direct deposit description is "DOEP TREAS 310 MISC..."

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Greatest Living Man posted:

Just got my refund for those payments made. I'm unsure if it came from my servicer or ED, but the direct deposit description is "DOEP TREAS 310 MISC..."

whats the thought process behind choosing an attempted murderers drawing of his pastor as an evil alien ninja turtle as an avatar? is it a rap thing (cause the pastor took 27 rounds and lived)?

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
lol at a panel of 3 judges holding loan forgiveness hostage in a bid to tank the mid-terms.

17 days and counting on the Nebraska hold, an issue which should have legit taken only a week to resolve.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
This is a lot of barnacles, dudes and dudettes.

e: ⬇️sorry, thoughts the rules were laxed compared to the D&D thread.

buglord fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 8, 2022

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Another reminder not to poo poo up this thread

You have a whole forum to do so

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I applied for loan forgiveness back on Oct 24, but never got a response back. Do I need to email somebody or should I just wait until after the court block is withdrawn?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I applied for loan forgiveness back on Oct 24, but never got a response back. Do I need to email somebody or should I just wait until after the court block is withdrawn?

Just wait until the court rules on the injunction.

According to the DOE, about 26 million people applied already and 22 million people are already approved with another 8 million set to automatically get theirs forgiven because the DOE has their income info on file. So, they most likely have already processed your application.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
So how long can the appellate/8th circuit (same thing?) sit on this case for? Are there any political motivations the judges may have for letting this sit for as long as it has? Or is it more likely they’re convincing the third hypothetical judge or they’re trying to put out a concrete statement still?

B B
Dec 1, 2005

https://mobile.twitter.com/mstratford/status/1590856666039607296?s=46&t=2VzIACBvV9Hx-0HJGxkxAg

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

welp

I know it's a super low-level judge and it will definitely get an appeal, but the absolute assholery of these idiots is pretty appalling, especially after getting trounced by a bunch of Gen Z'ers. Gonna be a fun couple of months figuring out what my budget it going to look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
I feel reasonably plugged into politics and I really don’t understand how jurisdiction works. Why is it up to any judge to just say how they feel about things? And is there some sort of time limit on how long they have to wait? Can they drag this out indefinitely by having one chudge take the baton with a bullshit ruling every 6 weeks?

It makes me think about trumps tax returns, which have had approximately 57 different judge rulings ping ponging back and forth for 6 years. gently caress the American justice system.