Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Data Graham posted:

Really anyone choosing to stay at Twitter at this point (I was going to say management-level and above, but maybe any level) is poisoning their resume. People at the next interview will ask them "You stayed? WHY?? Are you some kind of loving idiot? Or that big a toady?"

not really, because of things like the US health care system, there are plenty of reasons to stay on a lovely awful job. There's such an easy answer to questions like that "I needed the healthcare."

It also takes time to look for work, which is one of the reasons why the tech industry favors single men in their 20s so much, people who have a lot more free time to do the like 4 rounds of interviews and take home tests for software engineering jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I wonder what Musk said/did to her to maker her go from taking a new job to quitting in a day

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Elon has the posting disease

SA was way ahead of it's time with catching the diagnosis for it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tiny Timbs posted:

No employer is going to give the slightest poo poo that anyone stayed on a few extra weeks to collect a paycheck while waiting on the offer letter.

Fair. I'll go back to my original impulse which was about the VPs and C-suite. Why would they want themselves associated with this clusterfuck by name any longer than they have to?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Roblo posted:

I wonder what Musk said/did to her to maker her go from taking a new job to quitting in a day

Probably showed her his hosed up penis

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Senor Tron posted:

I love that it's truly impossible to tell if Musk genuinely thought his ideas would make Twitter more successful, or if he has been intentionally trying to kill it for the mere cost of tens of billions of dollars.

Elon truly believes he is a business genius that has unlocked all the secrets that no one has ever thought of before and that makes it so, so much funnier

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

it’s so much funnier when you remember that he tried to get out of purchasing Twitter lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Roblo posted:

The bit about bankruptcy probably wasnt great for morale

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Roblo posted:

'Robin, would you be interested in earning a Horse?'

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit

Ehud posted:

it’s so much funnier when you remember that he tried to get out of purchasing Twitter lol

Who among us hasn't made a $44+ billion mistake?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Data Graham posted:

Fair. I'll go back to my original impulse which was about the VPs and C-suite. Why would they want themselves associated with this clusterfuck by name any longer than they have to?

because they can usually talk themselves out of any BS by throwing other people under the bus. Look at execs like Phil Harrison, jumping between Sony's game division, Atari, Gaiki, Microsoft, and Stadia. Every time people see him starting somewhere in the news, anyone who's played games is like wtf that man is poison to a gaming division.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
wonder if all the workers gotta pay for their own check marks out of pocket

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Endorph posted:

The bit about bankruptcy probably wasnt great for morale

I can imagine a lot of people glancing at each other when he said that during the meeting. "what the gently caress"

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Even given that purchasing Twitter was a horrible idea likely done during a manic episode, once you've come to terms with what you've done and accepted the financial hit, every single CEO in the entire known universe would have told him to keep the entire team in place, make no immediate changes, and spend a few months learning how Twitter the business works. Just start going around asking questions, why is it this way, why are we doing that, oh I see that makes sense I never would have guessed, etc. Then start making moves with an eye to reasonably cut costs in a sane way.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Now that I think about it, she probably girlbossed herself into a substantially fatter payout upon separation

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:
Aw man, the Idiots on social media thread is gonna get reeeeal slow in a couple of weeks once twitter shuts down.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

"Hey, your new job will be to handle all the advertising stuff ok-get-it-done-bye."
"Um, ok?" *spends a day trying to get a grip on what the new position entails* "Ok bye."

This whole mess is so bizarre I can't help but feel like it's not even real.

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 10, 2022

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA

Was this the same person who posted themselves sleeping on the office floor?

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

New policy: $8/hr; blatantly violating state minimum wage law will give the Muskman the excuse he needs to pull HQ out of California

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

god please help me posted:

Was this the same person who posted themselves sleeping on the office floor?

no thats esther crawford

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Data Graham posted:

The former CMO of Office Depot had a track record of leadership that was as follows:

Blockbuster -> Radioshack -> Office Depot.

She's the one that told us that "if we did better, she wouldn't have needed to lay off so many of our friends"

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Roblo posted:

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I wonder if there's a significant number of Twitter Chuds who stubbornly refused to try out Trump's stupid social media thing. If so, they might get a boost soon if Twitter dies.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Imagine Bezos reaction watching this. He must be reaching the 'If erection persists for more than 4 hours consult a doctor' stage by now.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/WillOremus/status/1590770903348301825

I have never seen someone trying to burn down their own company as much as Musk is.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
https://twitter.com/MikeIsaac/status/1590827298399596544

What falls first- Kherson or Twitter?

I would not want to be the IT guys having to disable all these accounts. I think I would disable my own, and walk out.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Ok I'm calling it. Next genius desperate distraction move. Publically invites Trump back on Twitter.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I told you I was hardcore - Elon Musk

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
Between making everything about the platform toxic as poo poo and the obsession with culling bots and imposters, can someone with more background knowledge speak to what twitters data costs are like?

Its really beginning to seem like this is targeted at getting legitimate users with like 2 followers who tweet once a year but follow 3k+ people and constantly refresh 6 times an hour, every day, to gently caress off to some other platform, while the "real" users have to subscribe or get relegated too

Would that actually help their bottom line, or is the bandwidth completely inconsequential?

...is it less than 8 dollars a month per person, is basically what the real question is

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Comstar posted:

I would not want to be the IT guys having to disable all these accounts. I think I would disable my own, and walk out.

I was a sysadmin in a high-tech company during the tech bubble crash in the early 2000s. Every Friday I got a list of ~500 people who were being let go. You bet I scripted the hell out of that task.

I also disabled my own domain admin account when it was my turn on the block. Felt good man.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

IBroughttheFunk posted:

I saw it was from the eve6 account. Was it this one?

That was great, he left this one up tho:

Victory Lap
Feb 25, 2001

"Just to clarify, sir, you mean... more hardcore than the last 10 days?"

*immediately starts typing resignation email*

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

postmodifier posted:

Between making everything about the platform toxic as poo poo and the obsession with culling bots and imposters, can someone with more background knowledge speak to what twitters data costs are like?

Its really beginning to seem like this is targeted at getting legitimate users with like 2 followers who tweet once a year but follow 3k+ people and constantly refresh 6 times an hour, every day, to gently caress off to some other platform, while the "real" users have to subscribe or get relegated too

Would that actually help their bottom line, or is the bandwidth completely inconsequential?

...is it less than 8 dollars a month per person, is basically what the real question is

Their bandwidth costs would effectively not exist compared to the interest on the loans musk took

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Comstar posted:

https://twitter.com/MikeIsaac/status/1590827298399596544

What falls first- Kherson or Twitter?

It's insanity. I can think of no reason why anyone would do something this stupid. It does feel like he's purposefully trying to tank the company. That for just gross incompetence.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
His financiers can sue him for loving up this badly, right?

skyelevator
Apr 12, 2020

This all feels like when we had Liz Truss as PM over here in the UK, that feeling of "are they just flying in to the ground now?"

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/TesIaReal/status/1590820573932052480

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

feelix posted:

His financiers can sue him for loving up this badly, right?

They're more the 'bonesaw' kind of financiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

IBroughttheFunk posted:

It already got both dumber and funnier:

Jesus Christ, he really thinks he can somehow have Twitter still be Twitter, and also a rival for Venmo/Zelle/etc, can't he?

That's always been his goal. Platform X or whatever.

WeChat from China just in the USA...because the US will never leverage anti-trust and monopoly laws against an "everything" platform.