Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

RocketMermaid posted:

Red Means Recording made the filter comparison video I've desperately been wanting since learning more about filter architectures:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzgzng2hb50

Finally, somebody gets out of the way and just goes, "here's what each different filter architecture sounds with this base oscillator and sequence". Also, it's a head-bobber of a little jam.

hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

quote:

You guys do anything to prep for the inevitable or just roll with it? I keep a bit of spare parts, and when things were cheaper looked out for broken spares, but not too much else.

Yes, although I had to cut back on the drinking.

Startyde posted:

Speaking of, I'm still buzzing from the synth fest we had a little bit ago and seeing some of oldbeards wheeling out ancient artifacts always makes me worried about my own albatrosses. :retrogames:

Me, I want to hear more about these ancient artifacts. What did you see, anything impress you?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Johnny Truant posted:

Food: $200
Utilities: $100
Rent: $900
A Digitakt for every room: $9,000
Netflix: $12

Please someone help me budget, my family is dying

Sell your family

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Sell your family

:hmmyes:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

This was a very good performance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ciDm29BTLg

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Startyde posted:

You guys do anything to prep for the inevitable or just roll with it?

I’ve been posting in Ask/Tell about it a lot recently :shobon:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

petit choux posted:

Yes, although I had to cut back on the drinking.

Me, I want to hear more about these ancient artifacts. What did you see, anything impress you?

I wasn't sure how long I'd be OK staying so I didn't bring any goodies or my camera, unfortunately. There was a CS-15, an analogue computer, a music easel (early clone, but the dude has an original!), bunch of old roland racks. The petting zoo had a bunch of uncommon newer stuff too which was nice. That new PPGalike, Hydrasynth, Deckards, a TwoVoice :allears:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Finally found it, I've been searching for this for months, lost it in the move because I stuck it in a crate with some vinyl. This appears to be a remarkably good sample-based drum controller. I remember thinking a lot of the samples were kinda cheesy but some are good.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

petit choux posted:

Finally found it, I've been searching for this for months, lost it in the move because I stuck it in a crate with some vinyl. This appears to be a remarkably good sample-based drum controller. I remember thinking a lot of the samples were kinda cheesy but some are good.

I had an OG Spark for a while and it just never clicked with me for some reason. I always thought it would have been better as a standalone product than as a controller that is completely duplicated in software. I loved the design though.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

rickiep00h posted:

I had an OG Spark for a while and it just never clicked with me for some reason. I always thought it would have been better as a standalone product than as a controller that is completely duplicated in software. I loved the design though.

Yeah, pretty much the same, Imma give it another go though. I started using the software the other week just because it was so easy, then started wishing I had the controller again so here we go. Either it works out or I'm selling it. I also happened on a couple really nice tablet computers and I was thinking of just dedicating one of them to this software, in which case I may not want the controller.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Looks like the mad folks at SOMA labs have made another creation
https://youtu.be/ls6Mx4FcNT0

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Sell your family

I just call my existing Digitone and Digitakt my family though!

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Skinny Puppy is the industrial I've been aping since I picked up trackers in 1996 and that hasn't changed much! That RMR video is a drat fine NIN tribute though.

I realized setting up some patches recently that I'm lacking a bit in the envelope department on my modular rig, what envelope generators do folks here like? Extra points for a decent envelope/HP ratio.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

RocketMermaid posted:

Skinny Puppy is the industrial I've been aping since I picked up trackers in 1996 and that hasn't changed much! That RMR video is a drat fine NIN tribute though.

I realized setting up some patches recently that I'm lacking a bit in the envelope department on my modular rig, what envelope generators do folks here like? Extra points for a decent envelope/HP ratio.

Serge VCS

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

RocketMermaid posted:

Befaco VC ADSR is pretty nice. Each stage has a gate out and a VC in. Modulating the decay stage is pretty nice for adding life to an envelope. It’s 8hp for one envelope though.

Otherwise, uO&C gets you 4 envelopes in 8hp, but uO&C is a bit cumbersome to use.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Befaco VC ADSR is pretty nice. Each stage has a gate out and a VC in. Modulating the decay stage is pretty nice for adding life to an envelope. It’s 8hp for one envelope though.

Otherwise, uO&C gets you 4 envelopes in 8hp, but uO&C is a bit cumbersome to use.

I've been using my uo_C for envelopes when I'm in a pinch, but I'd like to save it for its other programs. Unless I just get a second uo_C like I've already been considering. :q:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

RocketMermaid posted:

I've been using my uo_C for envelopes when I'm in a pinch, but I'd like to save it for its other programs. Unless I just get a second uo_C like I've already been considering. :q:

Yeah, I pretty much got mine for quantizing, the other stuff is just a bonus. I’ll probably buy another kit from Synthcube if they’re ever running a sale AND have the unpopulated board in stock. I don’t pay no $50 extra for pre-populated SMT.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I have a mystic circuits 0hp envelope, but I'm still trying to figure out how to use it, and the manual is non existent. The lpgs are easier to grok

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

CatBlack posted:

I don't know why i have a thing for huge stupid drum machines but I have an RD-9 coming. It was slightly on sale on sweetwater and I could not resist.

The RD9 shreds so much. I turn it on every night and pretend I'm Jeff Mills. It's really great as a hands-on instrument. Throw it through some noisy compression and it really sounds heavy too. I love it so much.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

B33rChiller posted:

I have a mystic circuits 0hp envelope, but I'm still trying to figure out how to use it, and the manual is non existent. The lpgs are easier to grok

Lol thats the only 0hp module that i either screwed up building or i don't know how it works. I bought all of the 0hp modules i think

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

B33rChiller posted:

its one of these

the tipoff in the description is that it's an envelope follower and slew as well as an env gen, and the way it handles cv (times decrease as it goes up, probably pretty close to exponentially)

Think of it like one Maths channel without some of the bells and whistles

e: http://www.carbon111.com/alphabet1.html cool site breaking down some of the more esoteric functions w/ diagrams

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Yeah, I pretty much got mine for quantizing, the other stuff is just a bonus. I’ll probably buy another kit from Synthcube if they’re ever running a sale AND have the unpopulated board in stock. I don’t pay no $50 extra for pre-populated SMT.

Quantermain is the program I use most often, both as a quantizer and a shift register, but I also use a few of the other modes a lot. Harrington 1200 is a great chord generator if you want to do semi-generative stuff, Piqued is good for those four envelopes/LFOs (and can be coaxed into being a burst generator), and Viznutcracker is great with a LPG if you want to create weird crunchy glitch drums.

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer

I also loved this. The first two minutes I was like “oh I could do this” and then everything came in around 2:15 and I was like, no, no I can’t

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

JamesKPolk posted:

its one of these

the tipoff in the description is that it's an envelope follower and slew as well as an env gen, and the way it handles cv (times decrease as it goes up, probably pretty close to exponentially)

Think of it like one Maths channel without some of the bells and whistles

e: http://www.carbon111.com/alphabet1.html cool site breaking down some of the more esoteric functions w/ diagrams
Ok, so giving it cv will increase both the rise and fall slew? I haven't experimented with it other than hitting it with a gate, and getting a short attack and release.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

B33rChiller posted:

Ok, so giving it cv will increase both the rise and fall slew? I haven't experimented with it other than hitting it with a gate, and getting a short attack and release.

think of it like an oscillator - the more cv you give, the lower the period of the cycle (rise/fall), which means lower cv = longer, higher cv = shorter

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I like these posts because they convince me I’m too dumb to do rack stuff and therefore can save money by not even trying.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
Eurorack is the dumbest form of synthesis actually. It synthesizes all of your money into stupid nerd sounds that will do nothing to get you laid.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

CatBlack posted:

Eurorack is the dumbest form of synthesis actually. It synthesizes all of your money into stupid nerd sounds that will do nothing to get you laid.

Since when do synthesizers get anyone laid?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
This is not exactly a synth question, but more a 'digital piano' question...

I have the opportunity to purchase a Yamaha P45 for $300 or a Yamaha P71 for $250. From what I understand they are exactly the same, but the P71 just weighs less due to it being designed to be sold via Amazon. Is there really no other difference? From what i've seen via googling there's really no difference, but haven't found anything definitive, nor an explanation about what'd causing that 11 pound difference.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

My guess would be lighter action on the keys but idk. I have the 515

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I can't explain it but the most sure-fire way for me to end a dry spell is set my rack up next to my bed

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

JamesKPolk posted:

I can't explain it but the most sure-fire way for me to end a dry spell is set my rack up next to my bed

“let me put on some mood music” *spends 3 hours patching up a generative ambient piece*

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Banana jackin it

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Theoretically with a keytar, since you get to be flashy on stage while playing synths, but I lack vital evidence.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
No person can deny this man's drip.
https://youtu.be/9dtfTibRHYg

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

dexefiend posted:

No person can deny this man's drip.
https://youtu.be/9dtfTibRHYg

This guy DOES NOT gently caress!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Theoretically with a keytar, since you get to be flashy on stage while playing synths, but I lack vital evidence.

I had a pic of Imogen Heap posing with her keytar, the best evidence I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM-kKwTbRow&t=2688s

Just added another goddess to my pantheon

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
So far the best example of keytar manliness are these soloists from Dragonforce and Sonata Artica. It ain't exactly synth pop, but this is about gear anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MgLNnzeQFw

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

CatBlack posted:

This post is transphobic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I spent the better part of yesterday refamiliarizing myself with this SparkLE, just having fun with it. I'm not getting rid of this one. May be very early 00s but really the best in its category. It's really a VST with a custom interface, but the addition of the hardware interface really does make a big difference. I like it an awful lot. Oh, I haven't gotten into the feature yet but its tabbed interface includes an audiomulch style modular synth. It also has a tab of all virtual rack equipment for each drum sensor, etc. It's really capable. It also says it works with some of the Arturia V series, which is intriguing.