Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

unless you are a great big sonic fan please do not buy frontiers until it's been patched

what do you need a patch for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Looper posted:

what do you need a patch for

a game about going fast through a large environment would ideally not have pop-in so bad you have to slam to a halt to wait for the world to appear before you can interact with it

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

a game about going fast through a large environment would ideally not have pop-in so bad you have to slam to a halt to wait for the world to appear before you can interact with it

?? this hasn't happened to me, like having to stop and wait for something to show up. there's tons of pop in for grass and less consequential objects but everything interactive shows up when it needs to. the graphics are not great in general but that was pretty obviously a compromise made so that sonic can boost around the map as fast as he does as smoothly as he does. I'm playing on switch lol, i think if it can handle the game anything can

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Didn't the last time a Sonic game had graphics issues, it turned out that people were playing it on emulators

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s the best 3D Sonic since Colors

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

That literally does not happen in the PS4 version, it might just be a Switch issue

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'm not done yet but I'm leaning toward it being better than any of the boost games

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Larryb posted:

That literally does not happen in the PS4 version, it might just be a Switch issue

I saw pop in mentioned as a big issue in the pc version. Not that it takes a long time to load, but that you need to be too close to some objects for them to appear.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Playing through Disco Elysium and just got to a very tense moment that made me question my choices, even though I thought I was doing pretty ok. It's a game where it feels like you're loving up all the time and given the character that you play as, it makes perfect sense, but still... it feels bad. Not in a "this is a bad game" but more like "i don't like feeling like this"

Regy Rusty posted:

Hi games chat, as some of you who come to VG's stream know I'm in training to be a zookeeper. Well today the zoo I'm at had an incredible announcement and I was lucky enough to be there to see it in person:

https://twitter.com/SyracuseZoo/status/1590812794781310977?cxt=HHwWgoCxkd7z2ZMsAAAA

Baby elephant twins are incredibly rare, and having them both survive is even rarer. They are so ridiculously cute I love them.

How do you get to be a zookeeper? I've always dreamt about doing something similar

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
there is a lot of pop in, no lie, but it has been completely inconsequential to the actual act of playing the game. and I'm going fast as much as possible

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Jerusalem posted:

BABBY EPEPHAL....BABBY ELPHGANT ....... BABBY ELPEH,......BABBY EPA......BABBY ELEPHANTS! :supaburn::hf::derp::hf::slick::hf::dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RPQKV6ijBY

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I saw pop in mentioned as a big issue in the pc version. Not that it takes a long time to load, but that you need to be too close to some objects for them to appear.

Just saying I’m about halfway through the game right now and that’s never been an issue for me

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Big Scary Owl posted:

How do you get to be a zookeeper? I've always dreamt about doing something similar

That's a very good question, and one I found myself asking over two years ago. Personally I already had a Bachelor's Degree in biology, which on paper would make me qualified. In practice however it's hard getting your foot in the door if you don't have experience in animal care, which I did not. Regardless of how knowledgeable I was about animals and biology in general, without experience I didn't have many skills I could demonstrate. Initially I tried to get started as a volunteer, but that attempt got derailed when Covid shut down the volunteer program and I was stuck for a year as we waited for a vaccine.

Last year I started looking into how else I could get the experience I needed and I discovered that there are in fact educational programs out there specifically for training zookeepers. Not very many - I believe there are less than 10 in the US specialized in this - but two of them happened to be in my home state of New York. As an academically minded person this seemed like the perfect way to go - return to college again a second time, get an Associates degree in Applied Science focusing on Zoo Technology to supplement my Bachelor's and get actual experience and connections in the zoo world. I've learned a ton from my program and it's definitely been the right path for me. I'll graduate in May, do a couple internships, and then hoooopefully be able to land a job fairly quickly.

It's certainly been an unusual experience - I'm coming at this a bit later in life than many of my classmates and with a very different kind of background. But it's been great and I've really cemented that this is truly what I want to do with my life.

Certainly this isn't the only way to do it, and most zookeepers I've met didn't get there through the same kind of formal education setting. As with most jobs there's gotta be some degree of luck finding somewhere willing to give you the chance to get experience and get started. For me trying to find that on my own was too frustrating, so I'm really glad I was able to find this other option.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

How do you feel about the movie "We bought a zoo"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
tactics ogre out tomorrow

original box art art

new one

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Stylistically I like the new one better but the og’s character poses are more intriguing

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I caved and looked at weedcats final evo and goddamit really

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1590884973535711232

lmao. guuuuysss stoop iiiiit

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

E: saw the time, weird I swear I though he said this yesterday too.

Either way twitter is...a thing right now. A glorious fireball of hubris

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Regy Rusty posted:

Hi games chat, as some of you who come to VG's stream know I'm in training to be a zookeeper. Well today the zoo I'm at had an incredible announcement and I was lucky enough to be there to see it in person:

https://twitter.com/SyracuseZoo/status/1590812794781310977?cxt=HHwWgoCxkd7z2ZMsAAAA

Baby elephant twins are incredibly rare, and having them both survive is even rarer. They are so ridiculously cute I love them.

omg congrats!! (to the elephants, to the zoo, to you)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

hahahahaha

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Finished Disco Elysium :toot:

It is weird how the culprit is a hermit that you only get to see near the end of the game. Imo in detective stories it's more interesting when the culprit is a character that you've seen many times before but never suspect them.
Will try another run with a different build to see how it works out. Also I'm probably gonna try to cheat at some point to see how it's like to have all stats maxed out.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
disco elysium is a story about a detective but it is not a detective story

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

DE isn't really a detective game, and if it does it certainly fails. But they do tell you exactly what happens right near the start.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, the actual murder mystery is probably the least important part of DE

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Oh yeah I totally get that, but at the same time I don't think it's fair to say that it's not a detective story or that it's not a big focus, cause it's what you do for most of the game. Even so, it would have been cooler if the suspect was available earlier.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I picked Saints Row back up.

It's kinda ridiculous what companies will release as a finished product. Yeah I'm playing on a ps4 but it's still inexcusable to have an engine this bad. It's cool to have a pretty looking open world, but it's cooler to have an open world that can maintain a consistent quality and not have poo poo like sunlight forget to activate when you walk into a building. Loading screens take forever, and even after the massive load when starting the game your character immediately appears as a naked, bald human for a few seconds as the clothes/hair/details load in.

I could complain about some other stuff, but those are nitpicks compared to the game was badly built on a lovely engine and there ain't a mini game, plot beat or cool visual that can overcome that. I dont know if more time in the oven would have fixed the issue--I get the vibe they shot for the moon when they only had the resources for a paper plane.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/NoisyPixelNews/status/1590931010925039617?s=20&t=AjfTwP_T2sqM9uKcRdk_mQ

Happy anniversary 13Sen, please come to PC so I can bug people to play you

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wasn't going to buy Sonic Frontiers because I only try to play games that are good

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/NoisyPixelNews/status/1590931010925039617?s=20&t=AjfTwP_T2sqM9uKcRdk_mQ

Happy anniversary 13Sen, please come to PC so I can bug people to play you

3rd anniversary?! i thought i played this last year....

Let's see how many characters I still remember off the top of my head:

Yuki Takamiya (ofc)
Natsuno Minami
Tomi Kisaragi
Ei Sekigahara

...uh, gently caress, maybe it has been 3 years

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lol he doesn't have enough staff left to make a dent in this

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
My friend used to be a zookeeper. She loved the job but she had to live an hour away from the rest of our family, the labour conditions are shite and she got fired for 2 months each year cause of the off-season

Guyyyssssss you're being meeeeaaaaaaan :cry:

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

https://twitter.com/RobIox_US/status/1590710434424041472

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Big Scary Owl posted:

Oh yeah I totally get that, but at the same time I don't think it's fair to say that it's not a detective story or that it's not a big focus, cause it's what you do for most of the game. Even so, it would have been cooler if the suspect was available earlier.

I think that would diminish the impact IMO.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Rinkles posted:

tactics ogre out tomorrow

original box art art

new one

Tactics ogre ownsssss. I only got to play for half an hour this morning but I'm still buzzing bbzbzzzzzzzzzz

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Oh huh, Khanstant isn't perma'd anymore. I wonder when that happened

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
https://twitter.com/gamesdonequick/status/1590911184944914434

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Big Scary Owl posted:

Do you guys have a... podcast game? Like a game that you usually play while listening to a podcast? Mine used to be Project Zomboid but I got sick of it after playing it too much

fortnite

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Big Scary Owl posted:

Do you guys have a... podcast game? Like a game that you usually play while listening to a podcast? Mine used to be Project Zomboid but I got sick of it after playing it too much
Dark Souls randomizer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I caved and looked at weedcats final evo and goddamit really

It looks good in motion