Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

spiders loving rule tbqh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
dennis teaches the attitude of the wife - seeing a weird spider person thing and saying "That's my wife, because the Harkonnens are assholes."

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Dune into the spiderverse

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Dune into the spiderverse

Looking forward to the three Pauls talking about how only one of them can break stuff with his voice

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Someone put Gamemaster Brian to the typewriter!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Someone put Gamemaster Brian to the typewriter!
No, don't.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

he s at a party

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

sebmojo posted:

he s at a party
Can't he stay there?

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

kalel posted:

spiders loving rule tbqh

Anyone who's happy to read to p686 of a thread about a scifi book set in the far future should definitely read Children of Time if they haven't yet.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Jewmanji posted:

There’s spider imagery in Arrival too. Guy just likes spiders.

The heptapods aren't really spiders though, or is there something else I'm forgetting?

What else has Denis put spiders in? Incendies nutz?

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

kiimo posted:

Looking forward to the three Pauls talking about how only one of them can break stuff with his voice

I saw this as that Spiderman meme of them pointing at each other.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

lt_kennedy posted:

I saw this as that Spiderman meme of them pointing at each other.

Exactly, they literally reference that meme in the film.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

The heptapods aren't really spiders though, or is there something else I'm forgetting?

What else has Denis put spiders in? Incendies nutz?

The nightmare where she briefly sees a heptapod in the corner of her room is definitely evocative of a spider

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

villeneuve is french canadian, and heptapod is french for "spider." just a little arrival lore for you

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Count Fenring: He’ll destroy the spice exactly as per... look, man, I've got certain information, all right? Certain things have come to light. And, you know, has it ever occurred to you, that, instead of, uh, you know, running around, uh, uh, blaming me, you know, given the nature of all this new poo poo, you know, I-I-I-I... this could be a-a-a-a lot more, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, complex, I mean, it's not just, it might not be just such a simple... uh, you know?
Shaddam: What in God's holy name are you blathering about?

You know it to be true.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
It's a pity Paolo knocked ultraspice essence all over the spice rug, it really tied the sietch together.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You said it man. Nobody fucks with the Kwisatz

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

LETO II
YOU SEE WHAT HAPPENS, DUNCAN!

CRASH! He swings his tail into Duncan.

LETO II
YOU SEE WHAT HAPPENS?!

CRASH! He rolls over Duncan’s motionless body.

LETO II
THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LASGUN YOUR GOD IN THE rear end!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

kiimo posted:

You said it man. Nobody fucks with the Kwisatz

...five-thousand-year-olds, dude.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

SHUT THE gently caress UP, DUNCAN!
Baron Harkonnen!
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen!

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
I'm finishing my spice-coffee.

Vaginal pulses. The words themselves make some men uncomfortable. Vaginal pulses.

Flakey fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 10, 2022

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Why didn't dune have combat eunuchs

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Fenring sort of counts?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
He's a combat cuck it's very different

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I'm really hoping that they were filming in Jordan and took a day off to go see Petra for fun and aren't going to film scenes for their far future outer space movie at an incredibly famous world heritage site that has already been prominently featured in several major motion pictures.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I assume it's for the cool canyon formations around there.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I trust Denis to be cooler about that than Lucas / Spielberg.

It would be like making Hagia Sofia be the Arrakeen grand palace

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Colonel Cancer posted:

Why didn't dune have combat eunuchs

honest answer - all the sci fi writers of the 50s and 60s were gargantuan pervs, and the idea of a dude who couldn't gently caress was totally alien/unethical to them.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Moneo: shut the gently caress up, Duncan, you're out of your element!

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Vampire Panties posted:

honest answer - all the sci fi writers of the 50s and 60s were gargantuan pervs, and the idea of a dude who couldn't gently caress was totally alien/unethical to them.

Which one was it that kept having gay shock troops as some sort of sacred band of Thebes reference? Heinlein? I just remember seeing it over and over in some author's work...

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm diggin The Big Lebowski crossover jokes, but man that movie never fails to put me right to sleep. It's not even that it's bad, it's pretty good, it just drags in a way that's oddly lulling in the middle act. Not sure I've ever stayed awake through the whole thing.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Read the script sometime you'll gain a whole new level of appreciation.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

something I made a while back

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

1000 Sweaty Rikers posted:

:ibadpop:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Vampire Panties posted:

Isaac Asimov's stuff was fairly sci-fi first, people second, even though the man was apparently an awful sex pest in general (:smith:), but even in his robot novels where the plot device is a logical-but-not-reasonable-humaniform robot (think Data from startrek), one of the books in the series is about a robot that a horny lady hosed until the robot broke, and the resolution involved the woman having sex of dubious consent with a filthy Earthman.

So you know, yeah.

Did Clarke have any horny books? The Rama series becomes a weird soap opera with weird sex and family drama, but that's Gentry Lee's fault as far as I know.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Which one was it that kept having gay shock troops as some sort of sacred band of Thebes reference? Heinlein? I just remember seeing it over and over in some author's work...

The Forever War has some problematic views about homosexuality in an eternal war complicated by relativistic travel problems, maybe you're thinking of that? Heinlein was the incest dude.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

disposablewords posted:

Fenring sort of counts?

Fenring definitely "Count"s

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Soul Dentist posted:

Fenring definitely "Count"s

HAH

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

1000 Sweaty Rikers posted:

still owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Rappaport posted:

Did Clarke have any horny books? The Rama series becomes a weird soap opera with weird sex and family drama, but that's Gentry Lee's fault as far as I know.

Given that Clarke is apparently a pedophile I sure hope not.