Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

a difference between the french and the russians are that the french are pussies

[galactic acid voice]

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

thatfatkid posted:

Hes been anti russia ever since they intervened in syria and prevented it becoming libya 2.0. Hes a oval office

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkx88cWAUTueCMKRbmwXpI78DZepls2-SSg

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

if i was drafted i would love to be the guy pushing a 30 ft missile out of a cargo plane

eat enough MREs and you won't be pushing anything out

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

When will Zelensky be declared Lord Protector of the EU.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
after slaying the ecumenical patriarch in personal combat, ending the schism once and for all

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Horizon Burning posted:

it feels like russia keeps trying to find some red line that ukraine won't cross short of actually fighting. "aha, if we say these are legally speaking our cities in our territory, then ukraine will be too afraid to push into them." trying to bluff the Ukrainian efforts instead of standing up and fighting. weren't the russians fortifying kherson for months at this point?

Russian telegram today is that non-stop and the logic I think shows people don't really "get" the changes that happened in Ukraine.

"They wouldn't dare X! "

Why?

"Well! Think of the grim consequences !"

Okay. What if they do it anyway?

"Well! They would suffer terrible casualties!"

Okay. They're willing to, so?

"Well! They would lose so many men!"

Alright, but it's worth it to them.

"Well, eventually they would run out of men!"

Here?

"No..."

Now don't get me wrong, I'm on the record as a certified Haig loving shock trooping, trench raiding Canadian. I am all for attritional, positional, traditional warfare. By all means, grab them by their belts to fight them. If you want to fight that war, fight that war. The problem is that you can't do that and also retreat at the first sign the enemy is willing to bear those losses in exchange for closing with you. You have to fight for that key terrain, that's the whole point of positional warfare. It's not about a body count, that has never worked. It's about bringing the enemy to battle - whereas Russia is avoiding it.

I don't know if it's just the Russian telegram people but the whole "trust the High Command" "Russia is skillfully avoiding casualties while dishing them out 5:1" "we didn't care about that terrain anyways", none of that points to actually winning or even conducting a successful defence. They are describing delaying actions. Now, if you think about that for a moment, delaying actions do not actually win battles or wars.

On the tactical level the Russian have fought well, they have inflicted staggering casualties on the Ukrainians, I mean, considering the tiny group of professionals, what they've done is remarkable, but it's a tiny group of professionals and they either have to turn and fight or go home because they will never reduce the enemy from 10:1 to 7:1 to 4:1 to 1:1 and win by the last Ukrainian running into shellfire, it's not how these things work, particularly since they still don't have their frontage covered and will just have their flanks turned over and over again by the numerically superior enemy.

I don't need to pull up the Soviet and Russian PAMs to tell you the idea is that delaying here would be met by a crushing blow elsewhere, say Belorussia to Kiev or Lvov. That's supposed to be the other part to this. Well, this is still a bizarrely managed war being fought on the cheap, and so that's not going to happen. They're giving a bridgehead on one of Europe's most important rivers, the capital city of a province that voted to join them, their citizens, their city, because they aren't willing to take some loving casualties.

That's a hallmark of politicians who have lost the loving plot.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 04:18 on Nov 11, 2022

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

All of that to say, humiliated powers don’t become nicer, it’s turned a demonstration of force to get a treaty signed into the destruction of a nation.
I guess that gives more context for my grandmother claiming that Hungarians were the most vicious ones lol.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/TesIaReal/status/1590891618378604544

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Lostconfused posted:

I have to say this act is a lot more boring than your constant flip flopping.

I’m not acting but ok

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

That's a different problem then.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/FreeUkraine91/status/1590342300307099653

speng31b
May 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/joshua_brez/status/1590346388516507650

https://www.thedailybeast.com/thousands-of-russian-collaborators-in-ukraine-have-made-one-hell-of-a-gently caress-up

good journalisms

quote:

According to Oleksiy, a former mechanic who had fled the fighting in Izyum, as many as one-third of the 700 residents of Cherneshchyna were either collaborators or Russian sympathizers. The priest officiating at the local St. Nicholas Church—affiliated with the Moscow patriarchate—was reportedly among those who fled the advancing Ukrainian troops. “He scampered to Russia, and stole some of the icons from the church,” laughs 35-year-old Olena, Oleksiy’s wife.

[...]

Yet, others chose to collaborate with the Russians, out of greed, fear, or ideological conviction.

While Oleksiy tells us that Ukraine’s security service has not yet made it to the village, local police have already been hard at work to identify and detain suspected collaborators. Twenty miles east of Cherneshchyna, in the village of Horokhovatka, a 30-year-old resident was arrested on Wednesday by local police. The man is suspected of having provided food to the Russians and of having denounced his neighbors harboring pro-Ukrainian views to the occupiers—a move with potentially deadly consequences, as Russian soldiers routinely abducted, tortured, and murdered pro-Ukrainian activists, residents, and local officials.

[...]

As of Sept. 16, 1,358 similar cases had already been opened against individuals and local officials throughout the country, according to the head of Ukraine’s National Police, Ihor Klymenko.

[...]

In liberated settlements, retribution is at hand for those suspected of having collaborated with the enemy. On a Facebook post celebrating the liberation of the town and the surrounding villages, the city council of Borova claimed that a number of Russian sympathizers had already been detained by law enforcement agencies, adding that in the nearby village of Izyumske, the house of the collaborator and self-appointed “elder” (mayor) had burned down “as a result of spontaneous combustion.”

[...]

While the self-proclaimed mayor’s current whereabouts are unknown, his name and information have already been published on the Myrotvorets website, a database of people deemed to be “enemies of Ukraine” by the secretive team behind the project.

Meanwhile, a local Telegram channel titled “TRAITORS” has been busy publishing the identities of civilians and local officials suspected of having helped the occupiers in Borova and the surrounding region. Among them, a husband and wife from the nearby village of Pisky-Rad’kivs’ki, who are accused of having worn the St George’s ribbon—a Russian military symbol now associated with support for the invasion of Ukraine—and of having allowed Russian forces to station their vehicles in their backyard. A slew of similar channels—some of them with tens of thousands of subscribers—have popped up during the first weeks and months of the occupation, documenting the identities and alleged offenses of suspected collaborators, and posting them online.

[...]

In the occupied territories of Ukraine, dozens of collaborators have already met their end at the hands of local partisans, sometimes acting in concert with Ukrainian special services, as military officials have confirmed. And as the Ukrainian Armed Forces liberate towns and villages across the eastern and southern regions of the country, some of their brutalized residents could be tempted to dish out swift, extrajudicial retribution of their own. Already, experts warn that vigilante groups may try to seek revenge for Russia’s war crimes—and against the people who abetted them.

[...]

For a Frenchman, who now lives in Ukraine, there is a clear historical precedent. As a student in France, I learned about the brief but violent episode of the épuration sauvage—the “unofficial purge”—when in the immediate aftermath of the country’s liberation from German occupation in 1944, the people of France settled their scores with those who had collaborated with the Nazis. Members of the Milice—Vichy France’s vicious paramilitary organization that had helped to round up Jews and résistants—were summarily executed, while women who had slept with German soldiers had their heads shaved and were paraded in front of jeering crowds. While some of the initial estimates were vastly overblown—sometimes in an attempt to rehabilitate collaborators and Nazi sympathisers—the most recent put the number of extrajudicial executions during the épuration at roughly 9,000.

[...]

Perhaps the onus should not fall on Ukraine alone to ensure that Russian war criminals and the people who helped and enabled them are held accountable. There should be a process that is thorough, transparent, and internationally accountable. Lest the people take the matter into their own hands, once again.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

oh hey new thread, has Al Saqr won the war yet?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Endman posted:

oh hey new thread, has Al Saqr won the war yet?

sadly the war for putin's heart rages on amongst the posters

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

America stands strong for democracy against fascism!

https://twitter.com/ahmedbehiry/status/1590904297726017537?s=46&t=E-wQ4cqr4tWP6gFP2PMX3w

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

i say swears online posted:

[galactic acid voice]

HEY! Stop leaking my onlyfans!:mad:

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

rip thatfatkid, let this be a lesson to everyone to be nice to comrade Al-Saqr.

That and also try not to be a vitriolic psycho.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

that frog really ought to do some squats

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

that frog really ought to do some squats

Speak for yourself, we are witnessing the perfect shape.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

evilmiera posted:

It would be a very different war if it started over a treaty on mink farming.

the mustelidomor

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

mad malding coping seething rashists are saying that they successfully left Kherson and blew the bridges on the way out.

https://twitter.com/bolshoi_yx/status/1590929493647978496

Readovka posted:

❗️The railway bridge, which is next to Antonovsky, was also destroyed

The Russian army also destroyed the railway bridge, which is located to the right of Antonovsky. Thus, the Ukrainian militants' offensive routes to the left bank are blocked. The only thing left for them to do is to force the Dnieper, but that is extremely dangerous.
(from t.me/readovkanews/46602, via tgsa)

speng31b
May 8, 2010

bridge gone for real this time

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
looks like they went A BRIDGE TOO FAR

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

To hate Putin is normal and not neurotic in the least.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ABSCBNNews/status/1590932335108640768

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Majorian posted:

I mean, "patriotic" also comes from the same root for "father" in English: pater in Latin. (which itself has its own proto-Indo-European roots)

Nah. It's from patriōticus, from patriōtikós, which are late Latin and ancient Greek respectively. Same PIE root though.

Frosted Flake posted:

Incapable, because domestic defence industries would require state ownership or at minimum direct investment which neoliberalism is not going to allow. They can’t imagine not depending on the US for defence because it’s beyond their ideological horizon to do what would be required for that to happen.

Also the US will throw around all manner of diplomatic and economic leverage during procurement talks, they’re not going to let Euros choose their domestic firms over American competition consequence free.

This got me curious so I went looking and found this.

https://www.avascent.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Avascent-State-Ownership.pdf

"A close examination of all European companies generating more than €400 million in defense sales in 2011 reveals a remarkable statistic: governments owned some 20% of a combined value of €€84 billion."

"In a quarter of Europe’s top defense companies, the state is the sole or predominant stakeholder, with majority voting rights and thus control over key strategic decisions. Another 15% of the sampled companies has a government ownership share in excess of 25%. State ownership is absent or negligible in only 19 of the 32 analyzed companies. "

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
cope army withdraws from seethe nation

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Here's a little Russian politic explainer for anybody wondering how Putin is still in charge.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

quote:

Australian authorities have identified a Russian hacking group as the perpetrators of the cyber attack on Medibank that exposed 9.7 million customers to fraud and theft from the use of their personal records.

The Australian decision to name the home country of the gang is a rare move that highlights the concern about the rise in Russian hacking since Putin launched the invasion of Ukraine in February.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said he authorised the release of the findings by the AFP because the “disgusting” attacks needed to be condemned.
“The nation where these attacks are coming from should also be held accountable for the disgusting attacks, and the release of information including very private and personal information.

How could Putin do this

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/fioFiorello/status/1590937332303134721

pizza combos
Feb 23, 2011
fio flarida classy said it so you know it's true.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Majorian posted:

HEY! Stop leaking my onlyfans!:mad:

That and also try not to be a vitriolic psycho.

Lol that this gets you perma'd, from cspam of all places

Just gonna hollow this place out till its just trump thread?

pizza combos
Feb 23, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

Where you been bruv?

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
Be silent, tankies. You will take your daily cope rations until you accept al-Saqr Supremacy

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

lol trump thread posters get treated more unfairly than anyone

well other than you know who

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Trump thread posters get punished because they are the worst and most aggro posters in a cspam thread not currently locked in the mod forum

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

iCe-CuBe. posted:

Be silent, tankies. You will take your daily cope rations until you accept al-Saqr Supremacy

This but unironically.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Slavyangrad posted:

Kherson Withdrawal Complete

By 23.00 on November 10th, 2022, the Russian Army’s grouping of troops in the Nikolaev-Krivoy Rog theatre of the Ukrainian conflict had completed its task and reached the prepared defensive lines on the left bank of the Dnieper River.

At that time, the furthest-advanced enemy units were still 40 km away from Novaya Kakhovka and 25 km from Kherson.

During the manoeuvre, over 20,000 personnel and about 3,500 pieces of equipment were withdrawn. Equipment losses amounted to 18 vehicles.

— Svarshchiki

Join Slavyangrad
@Slavyangrad
Join SLG 🔺 Intelligence Briefings, Strategy and Analysis, Expert Community
(from t.me/Slavyangrad/19654, via tgsa)

Russian evacuation done, mostly intact.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

CODChimera posted:

lol trump thread posters get treated more unfairly than anyone

well other than you know who

thats correct, I agree that the mod/admin staff has been unfairly lenient towards the most irritating and stupid group of posters in the entire forum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Calibanibal posted:

thats correct, I agree that the mod/admin staff has been unfairly lenient towards the most irritating and stupid group of posters in the entire forum