Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

skeleton warrior posted:

It will suck that the GOP controls the House... if they can get their poo poo together and control the House.

They are not going to get poo poo done.

This.

Even with Cawthorne and Bobert gone, there's still a *lot* of lunatics in the House GOP, and there's already infighting with Steve Scalisi trying to stab Kevin McCarthy in the back to become Speaker.

Assuming the GOP takes the House, I'd expect them to immediately try and impeach Biden to keep the MAGA nuts happy (and inevitably gently caress it up), Gym Jordan will probably start some hearings into Hunter Biden's laptop and whether the FBI is secretly Antifa, and then they'll shut down the government because the lunatics can't be appeased.

Maybe they'll "Repeal Obamacare!" a couple of times too, but there's zero chance a GOP House accomplishes anything meaningful, and a decent chance they can't even properly obstruct everything Biden does.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Nov 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

azflyboy posted:

Even with Cawthorne and Bobert gone

Well, that second one isn't a sure thing yet. I'm still hoping, but it is already a nail biter.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Getting mixed messages there Crowder.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Who the hell writes "it can drive you insane" in a children's book.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Listerine posted:

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Hey, he got ‘separate but equal’ into the book, I bet it’s super dogwhistle-y as a whole. Gotta get them while they’re young!

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Listerine posted:

There is a genre of children's book that isn't really for kids, it's for the parents to validate their interests and fandoms through a picture book lens. Like those adaptations of "Good Night Moon" where everything is a Star Wars reference.

That's what this is, except the fandom is hating trans people.

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

nine-gear crow posted:

Fred Trump ruthlessly hosed up all his children's minds with his batshit German hand-me-down ubermensch bullshit that resulted in one of them dying, and the survivors all being absolutely abhorrent people.
Yeah, his older brother achieved his dream of becoming an airline pilot but Donny and his dad talked down to him, calling him a sky chauffer. He succumbed to alcoholism, lost his job and had a heart attack at age 42.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Yeah pretty sure Matt Walsh made a bunch of those books, like one about a kid who thinks he's a walrus (which imitates the "My kid thought he was a dinosaur for a while but that doesn't mean I'm gonna feed him Dino kibble every day" line transphobes use to argue against validating a person's gender).

Some what related, the Tuttle Twins are this libertarian propiganda children's book series. While they're kind of benign at a glance on the website the author goes on this whole rant about wokeness and CRT and communism that comes off as pretty unhinged. Not surprisingly they are the book of choice that estranged parents give to their grandkids during the holidays!

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Polemical children's books have become the new fad in RW "celebrity" grifts in the last few years or so. They're a low-effort means of fleecing some idiots and getting to put "best selling author" in your bio.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
This discussion suddenly reminded me of the "Pepe and Pede" book that Matt Furie sued to pull from shelves. IIRC the book's author had the profits seized, and they were donated to organizations that fight anti-Muslim discrimination.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Maybe I'm overthinking this, but it should be dead easy to write a RW children's book that doesn't come off as "political" or 'woke' without needing to be super blatant about it. It's like the authors can't help themselves to use the literature as a soapbox for their ideas.

Speaking of books, how has the RW moral crusade affected authors as a whole? I'm curious how it affected sales of books like Gender Queer, since these books are the ones blasted all over social media with the intent to freak parents out and make a huge scene in PTA meetings. How much is this kind of literature at risk of being deplatformed? As opposed to gaining notoriety through controversy?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Panfilo posted:

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but it should be dead easy to write a RW children's book that doesn't come off as "political" or 'woke' without needing to be super blatant about it. It's like the authors can't help themselves to use the literature as a soapbox for their ideas.

I think you are overthinking because the bolded is the exact purpose of these texts.

Also, consider how bad conservatives are at reading subtext; can you imagine them attempting to write it?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Also Walsh book has some of worst illustrations I’ve ever seen

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
There's something about polarity that really seems to drive the conservative mind.

Good/bad, right/wrong, God/Devil/, male/female, straight/gay, heaven/hell, black/white, conservative/liberal, rich/poor, hard working/lazy...and on and on. Hates America/Loves America, Dem/Rep, right/wrong. There's no gray areas or nuance to anything unless they're kind of forced into it when something they think/want conflicts with the bible or the constitution. And some politician they support says or does something insane that requires justification or the unjustifiable. Or if some scientific study flies in the face of the things they believe, and then it's all just fake news.

And they twist themselves in logistical knots to force round pegs into square holes rather than reshape the pieces or look for a hole they hadn't noticed.

I think somewhere buried in that "logic" is kind of the key to understanding their mindset but it's such an immature and inherently BASIC way of viewing the complexities of life that leaves me standing on the outside looking in and wanting to avoid them, even though I can understand it and extend some empathy surrounding it, since I don't always know how they got that way.

It's just that that lens requires every day experiences to be force fed into a predetermined analytical filter and that must be really hard.

So hard that it makes them angry and mean.

Then it moves onto projection where it's the libs who are the intolerant ones and the real racists.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

My chuddy brother-in-law reads Rush Revere books to his kids. It's a time-traveler series about a girl named Liberty who goes back in time to witness Great Moments in American History. They were written by the very dead rear end in a top hat in this thread's title.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

My chuddy brother-in-law reads Rush Revere books to his kids. It's a time-traveler series about a girl named Liberty who goes back in time to witness Great Moments in American History. They were written by the very dead rear end in a top hat in this thread's title.

Did he tell his kids that Rush was a drug addict and that he collected a lot of unemployment money until he struck gold being conservative Howard Stern and realized that there's money to be had by being OUTRAGEOUS?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Liberty is the horse, idiot.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tequila25 posted:

Yeah, his older brother achieved his dream of becoming an airline pilot but Donny and his dad talked down to him, calling him a sky chauffer. He succumbed to alcoholism, lost his job and had a heart attack at age 42.

It's wild how by all accounts Fred Jr. was a cool, charitable human being it would be fun to hang around and he was considered the disappointment of the family. Also wild how Trump absolutely killed his brother with covid and nothing was made of it.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Magic Underwear posted:

I think it's time to dust off the old "demographic advantage 100 years of dem rule forever" chestnut and I'm only 70% joking.

As much as it gets mocked, the actual claim was always always always "If nothing meaningful changes Republicans chasing after old white white voters at the expense of else will become unsustainable starting around 2024, making them gradually competitive in less and less of the country as their voting base literally dies." 2016 and 2020 passing without a Blue Texas didn't disprove it any more than Antarctica being frozen today disproves climate change predictions. It also doesn't rule out things like the right hitting on a way to be cool with the kids again, or Democrats actually making GBS threads the bed on youth/minority support.

And the thing is little meaningful has changed since the demographic predictions started. MAGA-flavor Republicanism energized the olds, there are some Youtube-generation Nazis now, and Cuban-Americans going full Qanon or nativist has helped Republicans in Florida. Gerrymandering and voter suppression continues, but it's still just good for a couple percent of the ballot -- a big deal in today's close elections, but can they ratchet it further than bigger changes ahead? Likewise, Dems haven't really collapsed their support with the young or minorities, as much as people have tried to push #walkaway at me from left and right, and as much as I was assured Biden would never forgive a cent of student loans or a single weed conviction because they were his personal baby.

Nothing guarantees the thousand years of liberal darkness, but no one seriously ever seemed to claim it did. But the claims that the GOP current trajectory is unsustainable in the long term even if it gets some temporary victories? That theory is still pretty solid, and this week did nothing to weaken it.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Panfilo posted:

I mean, most children's books are inherently conservative. Families have a mommy and a daddy. Elders should be listened to because they're always right, and if you do something wrong you should immediately submit yourself to an authority figure for appropriate punishment. You may be a special snowflake, but it's very important that you get along with the crowd and blend in with your peers. Hard work is always rewarded, and laziness and mistakes are always found out.

Children's books that go the opposite way - that show non-standard families, or that show authority figures being wrong, or that encourage you to be yourself even if it means never having friends and getting into trouble with your school - are specifically notable for those messages.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Steven Crowder always has a look on his face, no matter what I picture I see of him, where it is an expression of someone who has had spaghetti poured down the front of their pants and are not yet sure if they're enjoying that or not.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Also Walsh book has some of worst illustrations I’ve ever seen

Did Walsh put his own likeness into the book as the heroic zookeeper who speaks truth to power?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

There's something about polarity that really seems to drive the conservative mind.

Good/bad, right/wrong, God/Devil/, male/female, straight/gay, heaven/hell, black/white, conservative/liberal, rich/poor, hard working/lazy...and on and on. Hates America/Loves America, Dem/Rep, right/wrong. There's no gray areas or nuance to anything unless they're kind of forced into it when something they think/want conflicts with the bible or the constitution. And some politician they support says or does something insane that requires justification or the unjustifiable. Or if some scientific study flies in the face of the things they believe, and then it's all just fake news.

And they twist themselves in logistical knots to force round pegs into square holes rather than reshape the pieces or look for a hole they hadn't noticed.

I think somewhere buried in that "logic" is kind of the key to understanding their mindset but it's such an immature and inherently BASIC way of viewing the complexities of life that leaves me standing on the outside looking in and wanting to avoid them, even though I can understand it and extend some empathy surrounding it, since I don't always know how they got that way.

It's just that that lens requires every day experiences to be force fed into a predetermined analytical filter and that must be really hard.

So hard that it makes them angry and mean.

Then it moves onto projection where it's the libs who are the intolerant ones and the real racists.

Manichean is the term for this sort of worldview. I'd note too, that binary thinking is a problem for many people in many walks of life. We fall for it ourselves when we talk about the conservative/liberal divide that's reinforced by having two major parties who have grown more polarized over the last couple decades. But we should remember that both parties do represent broad spectrums of beliefs.

E: That said, we should still grind all conservative media and political figures into dust that gets dumped in history's bin.

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 10, 2022

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Framboise posted:

Steven Crowder always has a look on his face, no matter what I picture I see of him, where it is an expression of someone who has had spaghetti poured down the front of their pants and are not yet sure if they're enjoying that or not.

Similarly Tucker Carlson is perpetually making the "I am having the weirdest boner right now" face. It's like the face of someone seeing how anatomically correct mannequins are made, and watching a little too intently :shepface:.

BiggerBoat posted:

This is what I was thinking about too. Like conservative children's books are a perfect example. Praise of A must reinforce condemnation of B. Condemnation of B tacitly praises A. It's not enough to extol the virtues of conservative thought, it has to be reinforced with righteous condemnation of the alternative.

skeleton warrior posted:

I mean, most children's books are inherently conservative. Families have a mommy and a daddy. Elders should be listened to because they're always right, and if you do something wrong you should immediately submit yourself to an authority figure for appropriate punishment. You may be a special snowflake, but it's very important that you get along with the crowd and blend in with your peers. Hard work is always rewarded, and laziness and mistakes are always found out.

Children's books that go the opposite way - that show non-standard families, or that show authority figures being wrong, or that encourage you to be yourself even if it means never having friends and getting into trouble with your school - are specifically notable for those messages.

I disagree most children's books are inherently conservative. Many of the more beloved contemporary children's books are pretty even keeled; Theodore Geisel, Judy Blume, etc. It's more about about what BiggerBoat noted-that "conservative" children's books can't just exist on their own merits, they have to be a condemnation of liberalism.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

Liberty is the horse, idiot.

I'll never recover from this.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
That Walrus book is so loving bad lmao

It's obvious with the pink-haired doctor and the self-insert Matt Walsh that he's trying to yell 'THIS IS AN ALLEGORY FOR THE TRANS AGENDA'. How would this book be even fun to read?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Killer robot posted:

As much as it gets mocked, the actual claim was always always always "If nothing meaningful changes Republicans chasing after old white white voters at the expense of else will become unsustainable starting around 2024, making them gradually competitive in less and less of the country as their voting base literally dies." 2016 and 2020 passing without a Blue Texas didn't disprove it any more than Antarctica being frozen today disproves climate change predictions. It also doesn't rule out things like the right hitting on a way to be cool with the kids again, or Democrats actually making GBS threads the bed on youth/minority support.

And the thing is little meaningful has changed since the demographic predictions started. MAGA-flavor Republicanism energized the olds, there are some Youtube-generation Nazis now, and Cuban-Americans going full Qanon or nativist has helped Republicans in Florida. Gerrymandering and voter suppression continues, but it's still just good for a couple percent of the ballot -- a big deal in today's close elections, but can they ratchet it further than bigger changes ahead? Likewise, Dems haven't really collapsed their support with the young or minorities, as much as people have tried to push #walkaway at me from left and right, and as much as I was assured Biden would never forgive a cent of student loans or a single weed conviction because they were his personal baby.

Nothing guarantees the thousand years of liberal darkness, but no one seriously ever seemed to claim it did. But the claims that the GOP current trajectory is unsustainable in the long term even if it gets some temporary victories? That theory is still pretty solid, and this week did nothing to weaken it.

All true but none of this takes into account all of these rigged elections.

The thing that always eats at me is the idea that Barrack Obama and Joe Biden are far left socialist liberals.

This has been a staple of RWM for decades now; labeling every candidate as as the most Far Left Liberal Radical in all of History and blaming everything bad that's happening on some kind of overwhelming leftist movement which, squint as I might, I can't see. Like I loving wish. I remember as far back as 2000 and 2004 being told that Al Gore and John Kerry were Marxists who wanted to take away guns any day now and do a socialism or even as far back as Bill Clinton being a hippy because he smoked weed and didn't go to Vietnam.

They accuse "us" of doing the same thing; labeling people like Trump and DeSantis as far right fascist extremists because we'll say that about any Republican. Except in that case, it's true. There's not much discernable difference between Kerry, Gore, Obama, Biden or either Clinton but, whoo boy, there certainly is between Bob Dole, either Bush or even Ronald Reagan and Nixon. So once again it's Overton Window poo poo and the art of accusing the other side of what it is you're doing.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/harrysiegel/status/1590704053666783232

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

DesertIslandHermit posted:

That Walrus book is so loving bad lmao

It's obvious with the pink-haired doctor and the self-insert Matt Walsh that he's trying to yell 'THIS IS AN ALLEGORY FOR THE TRANS AGENDA'. How would this book be even fun to read?
Yeah I was startled by how bad the art was. I had assumed they could hire people that could at least pass as children's book artists lol. In fact when I first glanced at the images I had assumed it was a photoshopped parody someone made in mockery of the book, not the actual book itself :stare:.

Not only that but they absolutely positively must insert all their little conspiracy theories in the story.

:byodame: "You'll need to eat worms and put on gray makeup." You must undergo Worm Therapy if you want to be approved for Walrus Surgery. There's just no other way. You MUST follow Dr. Xir Pinkhair's demands to the letter!

:ohdear: "But she felt so much pressure she just went along." Nobody gets to have any agency in transwalrusing a kid. Not the kid, not even the goddamn parent. Every good parent who does this obviously is doing it under duress. We're to assume Dr. Xir Pinkhair is right offscreen in Black Bloc and brandishing a loaded skateboard at the mom. There's just no other way!

:gonk: "The wooden spoons hurt and the makeup is itchy" we can't find a more comfortable way to live as a walrus, it has to be as unpleasant as possible! There's just no other way!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

wizzardstaff posted:

There is a genre of children's book that isn't really for kids, it's for the parents to validate their interests and fandoms through a picture book lens. Like those adaptations of "Good Night Moon" where everything is a Star Wars reference.

That's what this is, except the fandom is hating trans people.

this. there are a couple good videos on youtube about the various subgeneres of political lit for kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVX6G_5H-LU&
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVi3vLZ3f2s

basicaly expounding on what you said. alot of it for parents or uber conservative house or obvious scams

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

it's such an immature and inherently BASIC way of viewing the complexities of life

Leave BASIC alone, it's hard being a programming language without dynamic memory management. :saddowns:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Killer robot posted:

conservatism will never go away but i do think eventually that alot of the hardline psycho culture poo poo will be looked as being as dumb as divine right of kings and other weird poo poo.

wizzardstaff posted:

Did Walsh put his own likeness into the book as the heroic zookeeper who speaks truth to power?

yeah that and muscled and poo poo.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

conservatism will never go away but i do think eventually that alot of the hardline psycho culture poo poo will be looked as being as dumb as divine right of kings and other weird poo poo.

Pretty much. Conservatism will always be there, but how dominant it is and what it means will always be different, both since left and right are relative to the status quo and because approved methods and discourse vary. Mainstream conservatives always sucked by the standards of their day, but "Burn it all down and start purging the wokeists" wasn't always popular on the right, nor was turning the clocks back to this specific imaginary 1776.

The conservative movement and Republican party won't die, but if their ability to achieve governing majorities in large parts of the country is threatened, they'll rebrand as they often did before.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I know I've seen that pose before...

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Considering fascists are winning big in elections around the world you'll have to forgive me if I don't believe the whole "This election shows that the GOP's politics aren't sustainable and are destined to shrink in popularity."

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I would say that most of those countries do not have as much diversity as the US and their turn towards fascism is highly connected with the beginning change of demographics.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Every insane right-wing children's book now published is only running for 2nd place. The JPFO (Jews for Preservation of Firearms Ownership), a gun-owner group that attacked the NRA from the right about 15 years before the rest of them popped up, made the greatest of all time 25 years ago.

https://jpfo.org/pdf/brasco1.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

GoutPatrol posted:

I know I've seen that pose before...

:thunk: