Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

beer isnt gonna save lives if someone has delirium tremens. beer is too slow a vessel for giving alcohol to a body in withdrawal

in old folks homes beer is either a reward or palliative, but not medical. it is much better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I assume this is one of those things that varies depending on the population. Find a hipster old folks' home and it'll all be craft brews.

You been to the Hospice Hideaway on South Ave? They've got half-price Intravenous Pale Ales on your deathday.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Brawnfire posted:

You been to the Hospice Hideaway on South Ave? They've got half-price Intravenous Pale Ales on your deathday.

tbf everything is free the day you die

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

tbf everything is free the day you die

Stiff your loved ones with the bills.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

SodomyGoat101 posted:

Stiff your loved ones with the bills.

I already solved that problem.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Alcohol is only the only known way to save someone from dying from methanol poisoning.

The liver has a lot of trouble getting rid of methanol, and alcohol basically dilutes the methanol, giving it some breathing room.

You need absolute huge amounts for the dilution to work and other than killing you and making you blind, methanol itself is known for giving you a horrible hangover. I bet the alcohol doesn't help with that.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
E: iirc it's the traditional antidote for antifreeze poisoning as well, ethylene glycol is metabolized into substances that can kill you via the same enzyme that breaks down alcohol into the stuff that gives you a hangover

That enzyme would much rather latch onto alcohol, so while it's occupied doing the job it evolved for, the glycol just sort of sits there until... you piss it out, I guess?

Phy has a new favorite as of 07:25 on Oct 15, 2022

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Soul Dentist posted:

My mother in law works in elder care and beer is both a prescription and a reward for good behavior. Budweiser is generally the preferred brand of dementia patients, fyi

ah, that explains its popularity

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

Alcohol is only the only known way to save someone from dying from methanol poisoning.

The liver has a lot of trouble getting rid of methanol, and alcohol basically dilutes the methanol, giving it some breathing room.

You need absolute huge amounts for the dilution to work and other than killing you and making you blind, methanol itself is known for giving you a horrible hangover. I bet the alcohol doesn't help with that.

This isn’t factual at all!

Methanol doesn’t become toxic untill it’s metabolized in the liver. The enzyme that does this also metabolizes ethanol (the alcohol you drink), and has a much greater affinity for ethanol than methanol.
So by getting absolutely hammered you occupy all of the available enzyme with breaking down ethanol, and you just piss out the methanol.

Having so much alcohol in your blood that it’s in some way diluting your blood will absolutely kill you dead 100%.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Sorry, my biochem knowledge is ancient history by this point.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Trotting out ‘fun facts’ is the only use I still get out of my microbiology bachelor. So drat right I’m gonna hit people over the head when I get the chance.

(actually, sorry if I came off as pedantic or belligerent)

(also, lol at having just a microbiology bachelor. It’s like owning a bike without wheels)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Such Fun posted:

Trotting out ‘fun facts’ is the only use I still get out of my microbiology bachelor. So drat right I’m gonna hit people over the head when I get the chance.

(actually, sorry if I came off as pedantic or belligerent)

(also, lol at having just a microbiology bachelor. It’s like owning a bike without wheels)

YALLL NEED A_NOTHER DRINK _NO NO

e: dont worry about it, this latter sentence from the heart not the one above

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Carthag Tuek posted:

YALLL NEED A_NOTHER DRINK _NO NO

e: dont worry about it, this latter sentence from the heart not the one above

Friend, are you alright?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Such Fun posted:

Friend, are you alright?

dont worry about it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Carbon dioxide posted:

:wrong:

Fomepizole works well.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Such Fun posted:

Having so much alcohol in your blood that it’s in some way diluting your blood will absolutely kill you dead 100%.

As unbelievable as it sounds there have been a couple of cases of serious alcoholics who have somehow survived getting their BAC into the +1% range.
Bottom of this wiki page ↓↓
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_alcohol_content

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Such Fun posted:

:smith::hf::smith:

I had to go back and get a nursing degree and that combo has worked out real well

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Brawnfire posted:

Maybe there's a joke going over my head, but then again I guess hospices know how to handle imminent deaths.

But how would that work. Does some nurse come around, chirping "Oh, hey, hallo. My papers here say that your death is scheduled for today. That means beer is half price for you, congratulations!"?

[Edit: There's also a follow-up question: what happens if somebody misses their scheduled deathday? Would the hospice ensure a punctual death? ]

Wipfmetz has a new favorite as of 10:11 on Oct 17, 2022

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Wipfmetz posted:

Maybe there's a joke going over my head, but then again I guess hospices know how to handle imminent deaths.

But how would that work. Does some nurse come around, chirping "Oh, hey, hallo. My papers here say that your death is scheduled for today. That means beer is half price for you, congratulations!"?

[Edit: There's also a follow-up question: what happens if somebody misses their scheduled deathday? Would the hospice ensure a punctual death? ]

I believe the joke is about likening medically applied alcohol to happy hours, with a side of beer particularity.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Wipfmetz posted:

No, that would be euthanasia. I had a conversation with a palliative care nurse practitioner once, and the difference between euthanasia and palliative care is a very technical one (at least where I live.) It’s very explicitly defined though, and I don’t believe a scheduled deathday would be legal palliative care.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Such Fun posted:

No, that would be euthanasia. I had a conversation with a palliative care nurse practitioner once, and the difference between euthanasia and palliative care is a very technical one (at least where I live.) It’s very explicitly defined though, and I don’t believe a scheduled deathday would be legal palliative care.

Someone doing assisted dying may have a scheduled death day. It's every bit as hosed up as you'd think.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I'm also pretty sure it was just a joke

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Soul Dentist posted:

I'm also pretty sure it was just a joke

No, things on the internet, are always, and have always been, entirely true and sincere.

Particularly this post

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Someone doing assisted dying may have a scheduled death day. It's every bit as hosed up as you'd think.

That’s not how I think about it, actually.
But we don’t need to have a discussion about that, certainly not in this thread.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Wipfmetz posted:

Fun fact, in America, insurance pays for hospice in ninety day chunks of time, typically extendable once. You also may only get one hospice stay as part of your Medicare or Medicaid coverage, because why would you ever need two hospices?

This leads to scammers (doctors who also coincidentally own hospice care centers, or private equity nursing homes that coincidentally have attached hospice units) putting folks into hospice just so they can suck up that sweet Medicaid billing, then they throw the person out in the street on exactly day 91 once they "get better." That person then can't get hospice care again.

There are some bad doctors out there.

You can Google hhs oig hospice schemes if you want to know more.

BigHead has a new favorite as of 00:58 on Oct 24, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I think they should be killed

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mary Frith/Moll Cutpurse (1584-1659)
She began as a pickpocket which earned her the nickname Cutpurse. She was was then arrested for wearing men's clothes. At her trial Frith admitted to flaunting her male attire, blaspheming and swearing, being a drunkard, and keeping lewd and dissolute company, including cutpurses. After that she started a business where she paid thieves to bring her stolen goods that the owners could then buy back. Finally she was tried for shooting and robbing a general during the civil war. Allegedly she paid a bribe of 2000 pounds to escape the gallows.
After that she was admitted to Bethlem Hospital because the whole ordeal had made her insane. She recovered though and started a brothel with only male prostitutes. She's also considered the first british female pipesmoker.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I can fix her

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Nothing to fix, bub.

Hail Mary, full of grace cash and tobacco.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Alhazred posted:

She began as a pickpocket which earned her the nickname Cutpurse. She was was then arrested for wearing men's clothes. At her trial Frith admitted to flaunting her male attire, blaspheming and swearing, being a drunkard, and keeping lewd and dissolute company, including cutpurses. After that she started a business where she paid thieves to bring her stolen goods that the owners could then buy back. Finally she was tried for shooting and robbing a general during the civil war. Allegedly she paid a bribe of 2000 pounds to escape the gallows.
After that she was admitted to Bethlem Hospital because the whole ordeal had made her insane. She recovered though and started a brothel with only male prostitutes. She's also considered the first british female pipesmoker.

Her, Julie d'Aubigny and Anne Bonny should really form some sort of Olde Timey Charlie's Angels-esque super team

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
75 years old is a pretty good run for that time, jeez.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
She seemed to have had a pretty good run of it anyway at half the time

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Ah, I see you too have read the latest issue of Världens Historia. :v:
Oddly enough her wiki article doesn't mention the brothel and mentions that her most famous incident might be apocrypha, but doesn't present any evidence.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
The Netherlands owes its first law limiting child labour to a horse getting spooked. Baron Francis David Schimmelpenninck, a conservative member of parliament, got thrown by his horse on his way to vote against the law. As a result, the law passed with a 50-49 majority (a 50-50 tie would mean the law wouldn't have passed), and the good baron was immortalized in the following rhyme:

Baron Schimmelpenninck en zijn Biek
doen beiden aan politiek.
De baron zei:“Tegen zonder manco”.
De schimmel zei:“wij stemmen blanco”.
Zo werd Borghesius’ wet
door paardenpolitiek gered.

(Baron Schimmelpennick and his Horse
Both practice politics.
The baron said ‘Nay without hesitation.’
His grey horse said: ‘We’re voting blank.’
And that is how Borghesius’ law
Was saved by a horse’s politics.)

The baron would forever be tied to the saying “Het paard verstandiger dan de meester” (The horse is wiser than the master). He retired from active politics a year later, taking on mostly symbolic jobs, like chamberlain in special service to crown princess Wilhelmina.

The same scenario played out in 2016. The centrist liberal party D66 introduced a law creating an opt-out system for organ donation (similar to the system in several European countries, after passing your organs become available for donation by default, unless you have registered your objections or your immediate family objects). The law passed 75 votes to 74, because a member of parliament of the alt-right Putinist party FvD missed his train.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Skios posted:

The Netherlands owes its first law limiting child labour to a horse getting spooked. Baron Francis David Schimmelpenninck, a conservative member of parliament, got thrown by his horse on his way to vote against the law. As a result, the law passed with a 50-49 majority (a 50-50 tie would mean the law wouldn't have passed), and the good baron was immortalized in the following rhyme:

Baron Schimmelpenninck en zijn Biek
doen beiden aan politiek.
De baron zei:“Tegen zonder manco”.
De schimmel zei:“wij stemmen blanco”.
Zo werd Borghesius’ wet
door paardenpolitiek gered.

(Baron Schimmelpennick and his Horse
Both practice politics.
The baron said ‘Nay without hesitation.’
His grey horse said: ‘We’re voting blank.’
And that is how Borghesius’ law
Was saved by a horse’s politics.)

The baron would forever be tied to the saying “Het paard verstandiger dan de meester” (The horse is wiser than the master). He retired from active politics a year later, taking on mostly symbolic jobs, like chamberlain in special service to crown princess Wilhelmina.

The same scenario played out in 2016. The centrist liberal party D66 introduced a law creating an opt-out system for organ donation (similar to the system in several European countries, after passing your organs become available for donation by default, unless you have registered your objections or your immediate family objects). The law passed 75 votes to 74, because a member of parliament of the alt-right Putinist party FvD missed his train.

Trains are comrades confirmed

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

re Mary Frith, here from a Danish article by Tyge Krogh, Kvinder i mandsklæder (2013), the English summary below. Some of the vocabulary is kinda outdated but the full Danish article isn't bad

quote:

In the 18th century, several women, whose fate in other respects was likely to pass unnoticed, chose to disguise themselves as men and live as such for long periods of their lives. Studies carried out by scholars in Sweden, The Netherlands and England reveal a few dozens of cross-dressing women in each country. This article presents four, maybe five similar cases from Denmark.

In 1714, Sidsel Andersdatter, aged 34, after two childbirths and a subsequent career as wet-nurse, changed her gender identity. She married a young woman, whom she – under secret circumstances – had assisted during pregnancy and delivery and in having the woman’s child registered as legitimately born. Pretending to be male, Sidsel joined the Navy as a cook. The next four years she participated in several naval battles with Sweden. When at home during winter breaks in military activity, she behaved as a man, had herself shaved, carried a rapier and frequented alehouses. After the war, her marriage soured and she left Copenhagen to work as a farmhand. Her wife divorced her and married a better off ship’s clerk. After a while, Sidsel returned to Copenhagen and worked as a tailor until 1728, when her sex was publicly disclosed after she had been leading a man’s life for 14 years. The court sentenced her to two years of hard labour on grounds of the false marriage and on suspicion that a horn she carried, allegedly using it to pee through, had in fact been used as a dildo.

Else Kortzdatter disguised herself as a boy at the time of pubescence and worked with nightmen on Zealand. In 1731, 21 years old, she disclosed herself and married an older nightman in the town of Køge.

Engelbrecht Maria Stockenbeck, aged 20, after being married in Copenhagen, left her husband and went to Holstein, where she disguised herself as a man and took up the profession of a tailor. Over a period of three years, she moved between many different places in Northern Germany and Jutland as a travelling journeyman. After returning to Copenhagen in 1784 her sex was disclosed. She then applied for and was awarded a royal privilege which allowed her, despite being a woman, to work as a tailor and employ a journeyman.

The same year an account of her adventures was published. In the booklet, she told with pleasure of victorious tavern brawls and spoke highly of the solidarity between travelling journeymen. When she once again assumed a female identity, Engelbrecht Maria maintained both the masculine (Engelbrecht) and the feminine (Maria) marker in her name, even though her baptismal name appears to have been Ellen Maria. In the following years she resumed the life of a travelling journeyman, including such lifestyle features as frequenting taverns, only now as a woman. Several times during her travels, she had confrontations with local authorities who disbelieved her claim of a royal privilege to perform an otherwise exclusively male occupation. Her husband filed for divorce after her return to Copenhagen and provided solid proof to the court that Engelbrecht Maria lived with another man, whom she apparently had been bossing around. There are indications that she gave birth to several children.

Finally, the tailor and pauper Liebenberg Petersen was discovered to be a woman in 1839, at about the age of 80. She had lived in a village in Jutland for 30 years, first with her wife, who had died 15 years prior to the disclosure. Her remains were now exhumed and examined, corroborating an earlier suspicion that it was really a male person. Thus, Liebenberg and wife had both lived under reversed gender identities. Liebenberg refused to reveal her own past identity or any details about the disguise of the couple. Witnesses reported that Liebenberg, who had a sharp tongue, used to chew and smoke tobacco and take a drink, habits her wife would never engage in.

The research in female early modern transvestism has explained the phenomenon partly with the social advantages provided by male status, such as better wages and employment opportunities as well as personal freedom and freedom to travel, partly with sexual attraction to other women. The cases that are analysed in the present study likewise emphasize the social motives to assume a male identity. However, the other presumed motive, the possibility to court and marry other women, corresponds less smoothly with the evidence and is at any rate a gross simplification. Rather, the cross-dressing women did not feel at home in the traditional gender and sexual dichotomies. Even when showing heterosexual preferences, they were nevertheless attracted by the comportment and lifestyle of men.

https://tidsskrift.dk/historisktidsskrift/article/view/56645

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 14:53 on Nov 10, 2022

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

yeah but trans people are some new thing :rolleye:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Only real nineties kids remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Wipfmetz posted:

Then they'd just refer to you as the late Wipfmetz