Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Twice now I've started lifting up the back of my wife's car, felt something *off* about how it was moving, and realized I forgot to chock the front wheels. And once I've tried to drive away without removing the chocks and I couldn't quite figure out why the car didn't want to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

BlackMK4 posted:

Broke another Subaru BRZ 6spd transmission, 4th again. Yay.

I think these are part of the synchronizer hub

Do you track the BRZ or is this something like a known issue?

I’ve seen multiple transmissions through a Chrysler 300C but that was in their darkest hour when they couldn’t cobble together an automatic that wouldn’t explode in a week thanks to craptacular engineering.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

funeral home DJ posted:

Yeah, it is a nasa time trials car, originally harrop supercharged and now honda k24 powered. They're pretty notorious for breaking 4th gear, unfortunately. I'm going to end up plumbing in a transmission cooler since it is supposed to help a bit.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Good god, that is scary.

There was even a couple across the street walking their dog to laugh at my stupidity.

I'm sure it helped that my driveway had just enough tilt to make the Jeep roll on its own, but not enough to make it roll when it has to make the casters of a floor jack turn.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeah, it is a nasa time trials car, originally harrop supercharged and now honda k24 powered. They're pretty notorious for breaking 4th gear, unfortunately. I'm going to end up plumbing in a transmission cooler since it is supposed to help a bit.

Neat Gearboxes has the issue with the AZ6 figured out.
https://wp.me/p2VgVE-1J

I'll be sending them some of my AZ6 in the future.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

McTinkerson posted:

Neat Gearboxes has the issue with the AZ6 figured out.
https://wp.me/p2VgVE-1J

I'll be sending them some of my AZ6 in the future.

The one I just broke had that mod done by Jack's. :smith:

https://www.jackstransmissions.com/transmission-services/brz-frs-transmission-build-services/performance-build-service-brz-frs

insta
Jan 28, 2009

funeral home DJ posted:

My GenCoupe is on transmission #4 because the 6th gear synchro keeps going out, and Hyundai warranty kept giving me new ones. I have no idea how 6th gear keeps going out, it's not like that's a gear you actually beat on.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
there was a time when I had the money and was thinking about buying a BRZ and I'm glad I didn't.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Whelp....... there's always the route all the high HP Dorito folks go. CD009.
Or a Tremec. They've revised their lineup these past two years.

Then again, racecar. So sequential?

Edit: Now you have me reconsidering throwing money and time at my Aisin AZ6. Then again, it would provide content for this thread.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 9, 2022

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

McTinkerson posted:

Edit: Now you have me reconsidering throwing money and time at my Aisin AZ6. Then again, it would provide content for this thread.

HGT is where it's at if you want to burn money.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

2022 Hyundai Tucson

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
One time I jacked up the front of a FWD car and put it in gear, to diagnose what turned out to be a bad CV halfshaft. My almost fuckup was that I started to turn the jack handle to lower the car, then realized oh wait, it's still in gear :downs:. No harm, no foul I guess. It would have been an especially fun fuckup, because I didn't think to roll the window down, and when I put it in gear the doors automatically locked. So it would have gone on an unpiloted killdozer rampage through my garage while I frantically searched the house for the spare key.

Earlier this year I had a very minor failure with some not so fun consequences. In April I was replacing the pitman arm on my '94 Chevy K2500. There's a frame crossmember that gets in the way of a puller, so the easiest way to do it is to pull the whole steering box and replace the pitman arm on the bench. I took off my nice protective pair of mechanic's gloves, because I didn't want to drench them in power steering fluid, and changed into nitrile gloves. While maneuvering the steering box out of the truck, I somehow caught my left thumb between the box and the frame, slicing across the palm side of my IP joint. Wrapped it up with shop towels and duct tape, and drove my car to the ER. The nitrile gloves kept everything clean except the cut, which was full of 28 year old grease/rust/PS fluid/mud/whatever, so it took a whole pint bottle of saline to flush it out before I left with 5 stitches. End of story, right?

A couple weeks later I lightly pinched a piece of wire to bend it, felt a pop, and my thumb no longer had the ability to bend. Turns out the initial injury cut partway through my FPL tendon, and that little pinch ruptured what was left. Thousands of dollars, some surgery, and 5 months of therapy later, it's basically fully functional again. It'll continue to improve for 6 months or a year as the swelling subsides, but right now it's really only an issue for super fine motion type stuff. It definitely put the brakes on everything I wanted to accomplish this summer though. And the money I spent on the ER visit, surgery, and therapy coulda bought me a metric shitload of nice gloves.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

`Nemesis posted:

2022 Hyundai Tucson

How

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

JoshGuitar posted:

A couple weeks later I lightly pinched a piece of wire to bend it, felt a pop, and my thumb no longer had the ability to bend.

:aaaaa: fffffuuuuck that

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

`Nemesis posted:

2022 Hyundai Tucson

so Hyundai makes their transmission housings out of presswood? Cool

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

looks like Hyundai and Kia got some massive problems lately between the thefts and the suddenly exploding transmissions.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Don't forget the engines that eat oil, which I believe there is a class action suit on.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Someone gave it a full send, and the transmission sent it back.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

you gotta send it

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

JoshGuitar posted:

A couple weeks later I lightly pinched a piece of wire to bend it, felt a pop, and my thumb no longer had the ability to bend.

aaaaaaaa, im going to try and fail not to think about this for the rest of the night, thanks

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
on the same topic, another horrible human mechanical failure, i was pushing down garbage in the can once a few years ago and my thumb popped out and was perpendicular backwards to my palm. i was in shock so i grabbed it and wrenched it back into place. the only issue i have now is that my thumb goes numb randomly while gripping poo poo like a steering wheel

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Large Testicles posted:

on the same topic, another horrible human mechanical failure, i was pushing down garbage in the can once a few years ago and my thumb popped out and was perpendicular backwards to my palm. i was in shock so i grabbed it and wrenched it back into place. the only issue i have now is that my thumb goes numb randomly while gripping poo poo like a steering wheel

I tore a muscle in my back and spent two excruciating days having to arm drag myself back and forth to the bathroom to piss into the shower because I absolutely could not stand up under any circumstances.

The strenuous activity that tore my back muscle?

Bending over and picking up a 1 year old out of a stroller.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

About 17 years ago I was washing dishes in the sink when I looked down and the water was very red. I had cut my thumb down to the bone, somehow missing my digital nerve, without feeling a thing. My wife drove me to the ER and I got some stitches.

One of which they wrapped around my digital nerve.

For the next two weeks I couldn’t bend my thumb without it shooting a massive pain spike up my arm. When they removed the stitches, that particular one sent tears streaming down my face.

The only worse pain I can remember is a nurse trying to take out a catheter without deflating the balloon, after my surgery to fix my acetabulum. Oh did I mention I also had bladder trauma from the head of my femur slamming into it?

She got it on the third tug.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Imperador do Brasil posted:

The only worse pain I can remember is a nurse trying to take out a catheter without deflating the balloon, after my surgery to fix my acetabulum. Oh did I mention I also had bladder trauma from the head of my femur slamming into it?

She got it on the third tug.

Ok, you win.

Honestly my tendon snapping wasn't that painful, although I still cringe thinking about it now. I've had way worse injuries, but this has definitely been my worst recovery. And it gave me a pretty cool scar...here's a professional artist's rendition of the incision (this is all on the "palm" side):

I think she said they zigzag it like that so they can flay the whole thing open and have more room to work. Depending on how far the tendon snaps back when it breaks, sometimes they have to cut as far as partway up your wrist to find it. Then at the other end, if there wasn't enough intact tendon on the tip joint to attach to, Plan B would be to drill through the bone and through the thumbnail, pull the tendon through, and attach it to a little "button" on the outside, right on top of your thumbnail. After about 6 weeks of healing, they cut the button off. Luckily they didn't have to do that on mine.

I have a pretty cool zombie thumb picture from right before they took the stitches out, but I'd have to post it with spoiler tags and a gore warning :effort:

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

tactlessbastard posted:

I tore a muscle in my back and spent two excruciating days having to arm drag myself back and forth to the bathroom to piss into the shower because I absolutely could not stand up under any circumstances.

The strenuous activity that tore my back muscle?

Bending over and picking up a 1 year old out of a stroller.
Similar story, but from picking up a little bathroom garbage bag of mostly dry paper towels. No way it was even 1lb, but I guess if you lean juuuusssstttt right it doesn't fuckin' matter. 11 days bedridden on muscle relaxants and painkillers. Now I lift poo poo like an OSHA training video by instinct, no matter what it is.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
My late 30's "oh, I guess this just hurts all the time now" is my left thumb knuckle, which I did something to while working on a ratchet strap last winter. It's slowly, slowly gotten better to the point I'd say it's healed back up. More proof to the theory of "do nothing, it'll be just fine"

You all are about to make me pass out though, I need a little bit of adrenaline to handle the tales of gore!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

JoshGuitar posted:

Ok, you win.

Honestly my tendon snapping wasn't that painful, although I still cringe thinking about it now. I've had way worse injuries, but this has definitely been my worst recovery. And it gave me a pretty cool scar...here's a professional artist's rendition of the incision (this is all on the "palm" side):

I think she said they zigzag it like that so they can flay the whole thing open and have more room to work. Depending on how far the tendon snaps back when it breaks, sometimes they have to cut as far as partway up your wrist to find it. Then at the other end, if there wasn't enough intact tendon on the tip joint to attach to, Plan B would be to drill through the bone and through the thumbnail, pull the tendon through, and attach it to a little "button" on the outside, right on top of your thumbnail. After about 6 weeks of healing, they cut the button off. Luckily they didn't have to do that on mine.

I have a pretty cool zombie thumb picture from right before they took the stitches out, but I'd have to post it with spoiler tags and a gore warning :effort:

This is what I’ve got left after 17 years on the thumb.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

McTinkerson posted:

I have to stick with a stock transmission housing with helical cut gears / synchronizers for my class, rip.

It is weird, my S2000 never had problems nor did my Miata (250ftlb) and I think they are both AZ6.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

NoWake posted:

My late 30's "oh, I guess this just hurts all the time now"

I crashed two motorcycles and broke the same ankle twice. I have a rod running down my left tibia, and I had a plate and about a dozen screws in there. It hurt to walk, and if I walked too much in a day I was laid up for the next day. In 2020 I got an ankle fusion. The surgeon wasn't able to remove the rod in my tibia despite working at it for several hours. He got the ankle fused though, and the pain difference is night and day. Still can't run though, and my left ankle swells up huge if I walk on it too much.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

NoWake posted:

My late 30's "oh, I guess this just hurts all the time now"

I over-extended my knee one time while skiing when I was like 2..4? and thought nothing of it, shook it off and kept going, then hit the sauna and masseur at the end of the day.

Now a bit over a decade later, oh that fucker will wobble a bit and hurt me sometimes when I stand up. Motherfucker.

From that lame story, let me relate to these tendon gashing stories. I will share one of my friend, and it was the worst I've ever seen:

A group of 6 of us were out hiking through untended logging land as a bunch of early 20's stoners. Owing to the nature of the land we were bushwacking our way through the underbrush, stopping now and then to toke up. A few of us had decent machetes, one guy had a blade he had ground out of a lawnmower blade, and another friend had a gas station katana that had, at some point previous (while chopping pumpkins in the aftermath of a Halloween, IIRC) broken the handle and the hand guard. My friend patched the handle up with some carved wood and duct tape. Hand guard? Who needs it.

Anyway, we're hiking and come across a shallow ravine with a log fallen across it. That's some storybook poo poo, you have to walk across the log, right? So we did. Friend with the katana plants it in the ground to use as leverage when he steps up onto the log, but his planted foot slips in the mud and he slides down. His hand also slides down from the handle onto the blade, and he reflexively grips it to try to catch himself. Sure, it was a gas station katana, but he had also done his best to put a real edge on it with a grinder and a lot of time with files.

Gave himself this gnarly gash across his hand, blood welling out of it quickly. As he lifts it up in front of his face to stare at it in shock, the rest of us staring on in silent horror, he flexes his hand a little bit then all four of his fingers pop as the tendons let loose and his fingers go from flexing forward to held backwards by whatever muscles and connective tissue remained. At which point all the yelling started.

We wrapped his hand tight and started walking back, one friend ran like a bat out of hell to get to the house and bring the four wheeler out so we could ferry him back and get him to the hospital. End result was that he had severed several tendons for each finger, barely missed the thumb, and spent a good while under the knife getting everything reattached, and then a good 6 months in PT to begin to get much back in the way of flexibility, range of motion and strength. Pretty rad scars though, I guess.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Jesus Christ

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Arrath posted:

I over-extended my knee one time while skiing when I was like 2..4? and thought nothing of it, shook it off and kept going, then hit the sauna and masseur at the end of the day.

Now a bit over a decade later, oh that fucker will wobble a bit and hurt me sometimes when I stand up. Motherfucker.

From that lame story, let me relate to these tendon gashing stories. I will share one of my friend, and it was the worst I've ever seen:

A group of 6 of us were out hiking through untended logging land as a bunch of early 20's stoners. Owing to the nature of the land we were bushwacking our way through the underbrush, stopping now and then to toke up. A few of us had decent machetes, one guy had a blade he had ground out of a lawnmower blade, and another friend had a gas station katana that had, at some point previous (while chopping pumpkins in the aftermath of a Halloween, IIRC) broken the handle and the hand guard. My friend patched the handle up with some carved wood and duct tape. Hand guard? Who needs it.

Anyway, we're hiking and come across a shallow ravine with a log fallen across it. That's some storybook poo poo, you have to walk across the log, right? So we did. Friend with the katana plants it in the ground to use as leverage when he steps up onto the log, but his planted foot slips in the mud and he slides down. His hand also slides down from the handle onto the blade, and he reflexively grips it to try to catch himself. Sure, it was a gas station katana, but he had also done his best to put a real edge on it with a grinder and a lot of time with files.

Gave himself this gnarly gash across his hand, blood welling out of it quickly. As he lifts it up in front of his face to stare at it in shock, the rest of us staring on in silent horror, he flexes his hand a little bit then all four of his fingers pop as the tendons let loose and his fingers go from flexing forward to held backwards by whatever muscles and connective tissue remained. At which point all the yelling started.

We wrapped his hand tight and started walking back, one friend ran like a bat out of hell to get to the house and bring the four wheeler out so we could ferry him back and get him to the hospital. End result was that he had severed several tendons for each finger, barely missed the thumb, and spent a good while under the knife getting everything reattached, and then a good 6 months in PT to begin to get much back in the way of flexibility, range of motion and strength. Pretty rad scars though, I guess.

Ok you win.

:gonk:

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
i was an old man before I even turned 18. i had knee surgery the day after I got my drivers license at 17, back surgery for 2 blown out discs at 24 and cataract surgery on both eyes at 28. i turn 40 in just under a month and my knee is actually good still. my back is meh and I can't run but I haven't thrown it out since I had the surgery

e; jfc thats what i get for not refreshing the page from last night, that's insane

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The moment you said "hand guard" I was like oooooooooookayIbetIcanseewh—

Thought it might have been "they started dueling on the log because hey why wouldn't you, right? But hand guards..."

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Horrible biomechanical failures ITT

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My dad always told me about his coworker that was trimming a tree in his front yard. He was up on a ladder, with a chainsaw (this is not going where you are thinking.)

Well, he lost his footing, grabbed for some branches, and his (now too small) wedding ring got caught between some of those branches and "broke" his fall. Broke it by detaching his finger and hanging him by the ligaments.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Arrath posted:

a gas station katana

what

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

You, uh, never been by a gas station that sells all manner of random bullshit? Like crack pipes a rose in a glass vial and $25 sword-shaped sticks of pot metal next to the motor oil and potato chips?

Arrath fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 11, 2022

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

bull3964 posted:

My dad always told me about his coworker that was trimming a tree in his front yard. He was up on a ladder, with a chainsaw (this is not going where you are thinking.)

Well, he lost his footing, grabbed for some branches, and his (now too small) wedding ring got caught between some of those branches and "broke" his fall. Broke it by detaching his finger and hanging him by the ligaments.

:barf: huuuuah :barf:

Never look up "degloving injury" on image search.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I have one knee that I have banged up, broken, dislocated, and shredded ligaments in so many times that the last time I went to the doctor, she literally handed me the paperwork for social security disability and told me to look into it while I could still walk.

When I imagined myself at 42, it was not hobbling around on a cane wishing doctor still gave out opiates like candy.