Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Pleasant enough episode. One of the rare ones where the problems are entirely the protagonist’s fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006
I guess you could say..I was born naturally influent.
Really enjoying this season. Great cinematography and plenty to think about after each episode. It's been said a lot at this point, but I really hope these folks make a horror film at some point.

I was not familiar with what the title of this episode was referencing and thought that this episode breakdown was a great read.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

finally got a chance to watch this season and god drat it's been incredible, really going out with their best here. I'm excited to see what basically every cast member does next and I hope we get like an Atlanta reunion movie down the line or something

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
safe farm is there

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I loved the little bit of continuity with the safe farm gag and how they spun it into a whole episode. then hearing earn on the phone at the end of the ep, concerned for his safety. yeah they've grown a lot but still love each other, was really nice. Also the lodge iron he bought at the mom n pop saving his life after the amazon driver left him to die in the mud made me lmao

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

A MIRACLE posted:

I loved the little bit of continuity with the safe farm gag and how they spun it into a whole episode. then hearing earn on the phone at the end of the ep, concerned for his safety. yeah they've grown a lot but still love each other, was really nice. Also the lodge iron he bought at the mom n pop saving his life after the amazon driver left him to die in the mud made me lmao

Did you not see him open the amazon package that skillet came from or did I miss something?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

No I didn’t. Oh well lol. It would have been better the way it was in my head lol

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

i'm going to miss this show so much

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I thought there was a second hawg that was gonna get him!

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

well folks, it's the last night. can't wait to see what insane poo poo darius is gonna be doin

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m not ready for this

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

same, lost a lot of good shows the past few years, Saul was obviously a tremendous quality loss but Atlanta feels worse. hopefully something appears in its place to fill the void

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well, that was just about the perfect finale for this particular show. Very funny, very weird, made me want Popeyes which was not the point but I’m pretty high atm. Thanks to esp for changing the thread title for me 19 times this year and to the Glovers, Hiro Murai, and the rest of this amazing cast and crew for one of the best and most strange and fascinating shows of all time

that loving ending lmao

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
After watching all of this show, I don't think I get it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

After watching all of this show, I don't think I get it.

I mean, I know I don't get it. I've no frame of reference for half the poo poo it does -- I just watched the Tyler Perry episode from earlier in the season, and it' seemed good and I laughed a bit, but I've no real context for what's going on in the show because I've genuinely never seen a Perry film in my life. The joke where Mr Chocolate eats grits out of a cup? Like, I can't even buy the ingredients for grits around here, I've never heard of them before the last few years. It's not a show whose cultural context translates to, you know, my White / Arab / Australian background

Which is a shame, because I'd like to be able to engage with what it does, but it's just not gonna translate.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Yeah, that about sums it up. It was a fun show and liked the characters. But I couldn't really relate to much of it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I grew up near Atlanta but I live in Cali now and it’s just been waves of nostalgia hitting me when I watch this show

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yeah, that about sums it up. It was a fun show and liked the characters. But I couldn't really relate to much of it.

Uhh, ok? I mean it’s hardly that opaque either way but this is still a weird reaction

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
This was one of the, and maybe the only, episode of this show were I audibly said "awwww" at some of what was happening. I wish LaKeith had more screen time this season. That scene with his dead brother hit me hard. It wasn't my favorite episode of the season or show, but it was nearly a perfect ending because it really summarized the show into a single 30 minute episode. Drama, awareness, humor. It had it all.

Sad the show is ending, but happy I didn't miss out on it like many other great shows and that I got to watch it as it progressed. In this era of getting entire seasons at once, there was something almost nostalgic about getting to look forward to an episode every week.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I'm sad that it's over, but I'm glad that they went out on such a strong season.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

A MIRACLE posted:

I grew up near Atlanta but I live in Cali now and it’s just been waves of nostalgia hitting me when I watch this show

Truth, spent alot of time in rural swamp GA and this show nails black southern life

I mean, the nextel Nascar hot towel? Come on lol

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Rally's... in Georgia?!

Yeah this show gives a niche slice of americana a very authentic podium loaded with true-to-life references that I wouldn't expect anyone who hasn't lived it to get.

It's kind of the antithesis to the impression american media gives to non-americans that america is culturally just new york, LA, Texas :clint:, and that's it.

Nonexistence fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 11, 2022

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

now i have to go back and rewatch and look for thick judge judy

man the field sobriety test fuckin killed me

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 11, 2022

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

A MIRACLE posted:

now i have to go back and rewatch and look for thick judge judy

man the field sobriety test fuckin killed me

How many episodes of Homeboys in Outer Space were there"

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

man Lakeith loving killed it in this episode. I liked the inception style spinning top ending. I wonder if it was nod to the dream within a dream sequence from the deprivation tank. also, they really did capture that hazy dreamy vibe that hits you in the summer in the south especially when darius was walking outside. maybe it wouldnt be the worst if I moved back..

also, earn doing his smarmy "give them a shot!" act in the sushi restaurant made me laugh so much

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

A MIRACLE posted:

man Lakeith loving killed it in this episode. I liked the inception style spinning top ending. I wonder if it was nod to the dream within a dream sequence from the deprivation tank. also, they really did capture that hazy dreamy vibe that hits you in the summer in the south especially when darius was walking outside. maybe it wouldnt be the worst if I moved back..

also, earn doing his smarmy "give them a shot!" act in the sushi restaurant made me laugh so much

I read a post on Reddit from earlier in the year that pointed out all the times that Darius said he was dreaming, then this happens... WAS ANYTHING REAL DONALD

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
no warm sushi, thanks

Medullah posted:

I read a post on Reddit from earlier in the year that pointed out all the times that Darius said he was dreaming, then this happens... WAS ANYTHING REAL DONALD

This makes a lot more sense than most of the other episodes being real.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

black and japanese fusion sushi restaurant, "trying some new ideas" is it a metaphor for the series? donald glover and hiro murai?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Goodbye you weird and beautiful show.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
And in the end they were rescued by, oh, let's say Darius.

Hell of an ending to a hell of a show.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Huh, decided to watch the finale tonight, doordashed Popeyes, excited to see what this experience holds for me now that I'm 5 minutes in.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
What a great finale to a great show.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Holy poo poo. I can't believe it's over. I can't believe I ordered loving Popeyes 5 minutes before turning on the show. Maybe I'm being dramatic but I think this was one of the best shows and one of the most important shows on TV in a long, long time.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Facts.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

A MIRACLE posted:

black and japanese fusion sushi restaurant, "trying some new ideas" is it a metaphor for the series? donald glover and hiro murai?

It’s super funny that we have the longest monologue of the season, maybe of the show, and then the person is immediately punched in the face and the main characters run away without consequence.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Stuff like the Garfield hand towel is why I really love this show, and also what makes it really hard to explain to people why they should watch it.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
So many neat little things. The whole sequence with London (I think) was great all the way through to the sobriety test. Really glad that I managed to keep up with this season.

Also a little bummed out after peeking in on Reddit to see what theories are going around.

I was personally feeling the bit that Darius wasn't dreaming and that the smile at the end was realizing that he had a great group of supportive friends and a real life and he didn't need to keep losing himself to dream/drug stuff to escape. He spent so much of the show as kind of a passive member of the group that seeing him just take action was a fun swing and a great finale. Even if this time he might face some consequences, he's living his life.

But I think that the blurry shot through the glass at the end meant something. And yeah, remembering that Earn and Van were leaving for LA and Alfred was planning his own getaway and it kind of feels like Darius is just holding onto the past and trying to dream up new adventures after they left. Which is kind of a bummer but also kind of one hell of a bittersweet message for a series finale.

Great show. Really going to miss it.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Nov 12, 2022

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I think they just thought it would be funny to do the Inception ending except hinging on whether Judge Judy is thick or not

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

xbilkis posted:

I think they just thought it would be funny to do the Inception ending except hinging on whether Judge Judy is thick or not

Well yeah, that too :). I love this show. Although they robbed us of thicc legs Judge Judy.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Nov 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

So many neat little things. The whole sequence with London (I think) was great all the way through to the sobriety test. Really glad that I managed to keep up with this season.

Also a little bummed out after peeking in on Reddit to see what theories are going around.

I was personally feeling the bit that Darius wasn't dreaming and that the smile at the end was realizing that he had a great group of supportive friends and a real life and he didn't need to keep losing himself to dream/drug stuff to escape. He spent so much of the show as kind of a passive member of the group that seeing him just take action was a fun swing and a great finale. Even if this time he might face some consequences, he's living his life.

But I think that the blurry shot through the glass at the end meant something. And yeah, remembering that Earn and Van were leaving for LA and Alfred was planning his own getaway and it kind of feels like Darius is just holding onto the past and trying to dream up new adventures after they left. Which is kind of a bummer but also kind of one hell of a bittersweet message for a series finale.

Great show. Really going to miss it.

Love this post so much