Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

The internet has ruined me. I was waiting for the passive-aggressive HOWEVER followed by an insulting ask

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

GD_American posted:

oh man if he had the foresight to put a real kid in that cruise-by shot

Story time: when I was a kid there was a neighbor family with 3 kids, two older boys and the youngest a girl. One time we were playing in a nearby schoolyard and the oldest brother came around on his bike with the little girl (a toddler, maybe 3-ish) in a stroller tied to the bike by ~15 feet of rope. The boy would ride his bike as fast as he could around the asphalt playground with the girl giggling and laughing... until he took a turn too sharp and she went flying head over heels across the playground. At first she was screaming bloody murder, but by the time we got there she was back on her feet jumping up and down saying "again! again!"

Basically, she would have loved this thing.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

GD_American posted:

The internet has ruined me. I was waiting for the passive-aggressive HOWEVER followed by an insulting ask

When did people start saying “ask” as a noun to mean request? I’ve only been hearing it in the last 6 years or so.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Zero VGS posted:

When did people start saying “ask” as a noun to mean request? I’ve only been hearing it in the last 6 years or so.

About 6 years ago, op

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Ask as a noun has been around forever, it's just a bit weird. Consider the phrase "That's a big ask". Maybe that's not common in the US but it's very common in the UK and Australia.

Some cursory googling suggests ask as a noun first appeared about a thousand years ago

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s become notably more common in print in this century.

I checked a half dozen pages of results in the period 1860–1880, and they were all examples of “and ask” with the “d” dropped to imitate the spoken word, or otherwise spurious, such as “an” and “ask” being in different columns and inaccurately digitized.

I’m not saying it’s not attested to earlier, but it was rare.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

The safety tuck in

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
One weird trick to remove your beer belly instantly!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Zero VGS posted:

We've honestly been saying it for decades, we just didn't know if you were personally ready to hear it used that way until, yeah, about 6 years ago. And right up until this moment, we'd been pleasantly surprised at how well you were handling it.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Zero VGS posted:

I usually only hear it in business/negotiation circles. But it's been around forever

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Danger level: Florida. Giant mirror ball on an already notoriously dangerous road set opposite where the sun rises and sets, what could go wrong?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

It's a globe, it's always gonna be opposite the sun rising and setting.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don't globes do a pretty good job at diffusing reflections? That's why they have them for gazing balls in gardens and whatnot?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Don't globes do a pretty good job at diffusing reflections? That's why they have them for gazing balls in gardens and whatnot?

Depends! All orbs are globes but not all globes are orbs.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:orb:

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

They don't project reflected images but if it's exposed to direct sun it'll have one very bright spot on it unless it has a diffusing surface

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
I don't need globes to gaze at balls

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

crime fighting hog posted:

Depends! All orbs are globes but not all globes are orbs.
I'll have to ponder this

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Darkest Auer posted:

I don't need globes to gaze at balls

I got rid of my balls to make it easier to have nice globes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Men Who Stare At Globes

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It's ok, they've got their high vis and protective headgear on

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Captain Hygiene posted:

While I imagine the clothes drying on the balcony were probably left behind in the mad scramble to GET THE gently caress OUT OF THE BUILDING NOW I'd like to imagine people are going about their lives in their new leaning tower accommodations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

crime fighting hog posted:

While I imagine the clothes drying on the balcony were probably left behind in the mad scramble to GET THE gently caress OUT OF THE BUILDING NOW I'd like to imagine people are going about their lives in their new leaning tower accommodations.

I know, right? I had to do a double take when I saw those.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

https://twitter.com/crehage/status/1591005498005929984

When Cities Skylines becomes real life.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
How do you gently caress that up? Surely they had plans? Like, with dimensions on them?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
:shrug: cha bu duo

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/CviwpZJ.gifv

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Bertha the Toaster posted:

How do you gently caress that up? Surely they had plans? Like, with dimensions on them?

The builders just doing what they're told, not asking questions.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7162869897066859777

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/MtT2aNO.mp4

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sometimes when you use the Move It! mod, when you grab the node and move the road over the pillar doesn't come with it. You can move the pillar into place but if you don't notice then you get that.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

18th century OSHA.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

When we built machinery at this massive scale, how much more efficient is it than just to have several regular sized trucks instead? Or are they hauling things that regular trucks just can't deal with?

This kills the flame. Quite clever design.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Where do they find such small people to work on the trucks?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Lone Badger posted:

Where do they find such small people to work on the trucks?

I've seen this trick before, they're just action figures

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I've never actually seen someone on a squeeze truck do the completely mandatory clack clack.

I'm going to need to revise some documentation at work.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

sigher posted:

When we built machinery at this massive scale, how much more efficient is it than just to have several regular sized trucks instead? Or are they hauling things that regular trucks just can't deal with?

Large machinery, and especially diesel engined machinery, is generally more efficient than a fleet of smaller machines. And these largest of dump trucks are (mostly) diesel-electric. You see them used in mines and quarries a lot because there is high volume, high weight payloads that need to be moved quickly out, plus even with all that weight a fully loaded haul truck (probably) has less ground pressure than a smaller dump truck and that means it can move around on loose earth a lot easier.
Its the same reason why we have supersized cargo tankers and planes

It also doesnt have the same logistical problems that having many trucks coming in and off site to carry these loads.

However we still havent built a truck large enough for yo mama

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://i.imgur.com/9Ev6K5B.mp4

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

I'd say more likely that that pier is 'good enough' as-is. The bridge above it doesn't have a joint at the pier, so the pier is only acting to resist the sag from the middle of that span.

It's also possible that that pier is a hold-over from an old bridge that is no longer serving a purpose, or was only serving a purpose during construction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Many communities have firetrucks, they're nothing to be afraid of