Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Punisher War Zone #10 (1992)

The Punisher War Journal #57 (1993)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Opopanax posted:

He could only draw one face, but it was definitely Frank's

This is the first time I've ever seen that and with the developing congestion from COVID it was NOT a great time, but damned if it wasn't funny.

That said, something I've come to love about the Punisher is that Marvel doesn't treat him like some sacred cow whose status quo they must protect with their lives like they used to do with the X-Men. Instead, they do bonkers stuff like Franken-Castle and it just works.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Uthor posted:

What happens when you want the villain of the story to actually be the mayor of your city?

Robin Annual #1 1992

This is that weird authorial self-insert, right? Where he's a kid prodigy and gets the last word about everything, the one that was bizzarely best depicted in the otherwise terrible Arkham Origins game?

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
Pretty much. He was a reflection of Alan Grant's political views (and also his attempt to tee-up a replacement for the recently-deceased Jason Todd as Robin). I never followed his later series, but at least early on, he was written as a smart, but extremely naïve (literal) kid who was pretty good at criticizing the excesses of authoritarianism, but bad at concocting anything other than ludicrously theatrical terrorist acts in response. It seems like he became more one-note over time.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Sentinel Red posted:

Given the dreadful news today, I'd post something by Kevin O'Neill but I guess Torquemada in full on ranting horror mode probably isn't everyone's idea of a Funny Panel..!

I had a funny panel of Nemesis the Warlock in mind, but remembered it was drawn by Chris Weston, not Kev.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I’ve posted this before, but this page from LOEG: The Tempest #6 is funny, but now a little bittersweet.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Discendo Vox posted:

This is that weird authorial self-insert, right? Where he's a kid prodigy and gets the last word about everything, the one that was bizzarely best depicted in the otherwise terrible Arkham Origins game?
I think he's actually best depicted in the first Anarky miniseries, where he single-handedly outsmarts Darkseid then fries his own brain into defeating himself.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superboy #122 (1965)

The Punisher War Journal #58 (1993)

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Only 21 years later, Bill Smith of Kalamazoo, MI was vindicated.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Sentinel Red posted:

I always thought singling out Steve for it was a bit harsh given how many other artists were just as guilty as well (one sacred cow in particular seemed only to have one male face, best described as 'misshapen swivel-eyed loon').

Oh, be fair, now: Quitely also used that beef-face for many female characters as well, especially early in his Authority run.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i mean, Noto-face is also a known thing

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I feel like the artist list is pretty long. This is why clothing, accessories, hair and other features are important.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Quitely and Noto draw faces in their particular style, but they draw more than one face. Steve Dillon only drew one face.

This isn't meant to harsh on him as an artist, aside from the only drawing one face thing he was an amazing artist. I tend to credit writers for the comics I like more than the artist, but I don't think Ennis would have half the career he does without Dillon. His Hellblazer work was amazing, and I remember a bar I'd go to on Sundays to watch football and there was one comic book guy and someone else read a copy of Preacher and they were just slowly passing around his entire collection of the trades.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 9, 2022

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Noto’s faces may look similar, but they also look like humans.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

With Quitely at least you can make the argument that it's stylized

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Darthemed posted:

Holy gently caress, it's weird seeing an address for a place you're super familiar with :stare:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

no idea what this is from (but i would love to know)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

biosterous posted:

no idea what this is from (but i would love to know)

holy poo poo dude see a doctor

anyway, it's back to school time:

DC's Saved By The Belle Reve

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TwoPair posted:

holy poo poo dude see a doctor

anyway, it's back to school time:

DC's Saved By The Belle Reve

Brats playing sci-fi fascist music, being arrogant and cocky as balls, at a private school--don't :goonsay: me about how actually a non-profit started by a reformed Max Lord for poor kids that Clark hand-picks from the inner city or some :jerkbag: poo poo; all visual semiotics are screaming "privilege" and that's functionally what it is-- while invoking a Latin Phrase used by an old Leftist nearly half a loving century ago to say "this company's priorities suck and should evolve like, even just a little."

And people wonder why DC Comics has been seen as a sewer for stunningly boring, uncreative failsons for nearly twenty straight years.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

mind the walrus posted:

Brats playing sci-fi fascist music, being arrogant and cocky as balls, at a private school--don't :goonsay: me about how actually a non-profit started by a reformed Max Lord for poor kids that Clark hand-picks from the inner city or some :jerkbag: poo poo; all visual semiotics are screaming "privilege" and that's functionally what it is-- while invoking a Latin Phrase used by an old Leftist nearly half a loving century ago to say "this company's priorities suck and should evolve like, even just a little."

And people wonder why DC Comics has been seen as a sewer for stunningly boring, uncreative failsons for nearly twenty straight years.

lmao what

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
you have to post after taking your meds

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Punisher Annual #2 (1989)

The Punisher War Zone #26 (1994)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Darthemed posted:

The Punisher Annual #2 (1989)

I didn't know Freddie Starr was a character in the Punisher comics...

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Sure that page is insufferable, but the dialog is so natural!

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

funtax posted:

Pretty much. He was a reflection of Alan Grant's political views (and also his attempt to tee-up a replacement for the recently-deceased Jason Todd as Robin). I never followed his later series, but at least early on, he was written as a smart, but extremely naïve (literal) kid who was pretty good at criticizing the excesses of authoritarianism, but bad at concocting anything other than ludicrously theatrical terrorist acts in response. It seems like he became more one-note over time.

"Look at all the things wring with society! We should replace them!"
"With what? What are your plans?"
"I dunno... something! Why do I need to have all the answers?"
"Because you're the one holding the mayor hostage. "

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

mind the walrus posted:

Um, I think the scene's just supposed to be showing that Damian's an rear end in a top hat.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Darthemed posted:

I used to work like two doors down from that guys place

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Samovar posted:

I didn't know Freddie Starr was a character in the Punisher comics...

I appreciate that reference.

Well done.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Beerdeer posted:

I used to work like two doors down from that guys place

Harvey's?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Punisher: Back to School Special #1 (1992)

The Punisher War Zone #39 (1995)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I have no idea where this is from and reverse searching it didn't lead me to an answer, but it made me laugh so it goes here

I'll think about it every time I ever stumble upon some weirdo shipper online again.

Which is more often than I would like

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

That looks like Gravity Falls.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Saoshyant posted:

I have no idea where this is from and reverse searching it didn't lead me to an answer, but it made me laugh so it goes here

I'll think about it every time I ever stumble upon some weirdo shipper online again.

Which is more often than I would like

That's from "Gravity Falls: Lost Legends"

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

That's from "Gravity Falls: Lost Legends"

Is this series as funny as these panels? I may have to check it out.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Saoshyant posted:

Gravity falls is incredible, definitely watch it.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2DUpDxFJyg

Great little intro too, very charming.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Darthemed posted:

Spidey Super Stories #53 (1981)

Featuring the all-time great team-up of Spiderman, Hellcat and ACTION NEWS SEVEN CO-ANCHOR!

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Saoshyant posted:

yes, and it's not even that the comic got lucky with a good writer; it's written by the guy who created the show (and full blown co-wrote with on-screen writing credit nearly every episode, which is an unusual level of writing involvement from even a showrunner)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
alex hirsch deserves more work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

flatluigi posted:

alex hirsch deserves more work

He got super burnt out doing all that work, and said he would try that again. He’s a voice on The Owl House, which is also great.