Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

a cyborg mug posted:

I thought a lot about it - what’s actually the best way to go about demoing BT to new players?

A local player I respect always recommends giving newbies a mobile heavy (JJs would be nice) with ideally each weapon type: energy, slug projectile, cluster missile. Opfor should be similar. Clantech works better.

As it just so happens there's an iconic ubiquitous workhorse that checks all these boxes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

My fear with heavies and assaults is that the mechs can be very tough to kill, which’ll drag the demo game on. The moments where I’ve found BT the most uninteresting have been when it’s slow mechs plinking away at each other from a distance and missing most of the time. Of course, heavier mechs do come with more firepower which might end the game quicker…

Wolvie and Shadow Hawk I chose because they’re OK at everything, carry weapons in all range brackets but like to be aggressive and get physical. The problem that my cousin identified was that nothing they carry is particularly spectacular, apart from the Wolverine’s SRM-6 (which doesn’t tend to be as impressive as a good PPC hit).

I was very pleased with my demo games but they could be improved on and I’m sure there’s a lot to be discussed and considered here. Something I’m 100% sure about is however that it should be a 2v2 game - any more mechs and the game gets very slow and complicated for a newbie, and 1v1 is just not that interesting when it comes to the main gameplay of initiative/movement/positioning.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Nov 7, 2022

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

We had 52 total players in Winston Salem. Lots of good prize support, lots of big stompy robots doing lots of shooting, stomping, and smashing, 10/10 would happily do again next year.

i was 3-3 with weak wins and catastrophic losses 😂

Comedy of the dice: my near-pristine Warhammer having its cockpit turned into a pile of smoke, fire, and general ruin by an automatic crit, followed by another natural 12 on 2d6.

Couldn’t help but laugh at it I pulled the poor thing off the table :laffo:

actually3raccoons
Jun 5, 2013

the next BT Kickstarter is launching on March 23rd (during Adepticon):

https://bg.battletech.com/news/mark-your-calendars-for-the-launch-of-battletech-mercenaries-at-adepticon/

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Woo, I finished my first ever 'Mech. Far from perfect but it'll look fine on the table.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

That looks amazing my dude

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

a cyborg mug posted:

That looks amazing my dude

yeah that looks better than just table ready. nice work man

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I really like the strong edge highlights, makes me think of like a cel-shaded sort of look.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

PoptartsNinja posted:

I personally recommend Wolves on the Border instead of the Warrior Trilogy, but if you're not adverse to Stackpole and/or feel up for reading both I'd sneak Wolves on the Border in either right before or right after the 3rd book of the Warrior Trilogy.

Wolves on the Border is always good. I'd throw in Double Blind and Victor Milan's Caballero's books.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Double Blind and the Camachos Caballeros trilogy are post-Clan invasion. They're good, but the Caballeros especially need a little more context.

actually3raccoons
Jun 5, 2013

The new Alpha Strike box has a release date of 11/16, but I don’t see anything about where it’s being sold:

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/52598/battletech-alpha-strike-boxed-set-storms-retail-stores

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

actually3raccoons posted:

The new Alpha Strike box has a release date of 11/16, but I don’t see anything about where it’s being sold:

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/52598/battletech-alpha-strike-boxed-set-storms-retail-stores

No idea, it's still listed as "preliminary release January 2023" on the Swedish webshops that I've found it on.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The local distributor approached me wanting to know how many copies I wanted since it was available on his ordering sheet. I am not the owner of a FLGS. He just assumed I'd want more than one for posterity.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I recognize in advance this is a silly question that I'm going to field anyway. I'm painting my company so far (already-posted support lance & the AGoAC box that just finished primer curing) in a consistent scheme and aiming to do the same for future mechs; not that I don't like a variety of factions, I just want my own stuff to be consistent/interchangeable. "Problem" that manifests: these are mercenaries, closer to pirates. All well and good, but I'm vaguely eyeing the Wolf's Dragoons Assault Star box once I have this set done and a few games run at the shop; the Archer is my favorite mech and I'd like both non-limited plastic versions eventually, the Blackjack fits with "backwater periphery pirates" well enough, and the Rifleman is just Blackjack +1 in that regard.

And then there's the Annihilator and Timber Wolf. The Annihilator I've already written off, I'll paint it Wolf's Dragoons and just stick it on a desk shelf for display. The Timber Wolf is a whole different issue. I've mostly planned with 3025 through mid Clan Invasion in mind, since that's what my local seems focused on & also the eras of most interest to me. As far as I know nobody plays past the Jihad era and even that's limited - not due to grog-ness about it, people just don't have the collections for later eras. I have no intent of buying any other clan mechs in the future (unless they release a plastic Glass Spider, which will similarly just go on display).

What on earth do I do with a single Timber Wolf, short of consigning it to another display-only slot or trading it with someone for a different IS mech? If this was the Combine or something, I'd feel better about fielding a repainted Timber Wolf, since they're at least acknowledged to have captured them - was reading up on battle armor last night and "captured Timber Wolf PPCs" came up a couple times - but random mercenary company #24601 rolling up with intact clan salvage of the iconic invasion mech feels silly, and outside of "let's play some duels" I don't see how much fielding a single mech alone will do.

Yes, I looked into buying the mechs individually and the secondhand markup was insane - just the Archer mini goes for nearly as much as the whole box does. I imagine for most people this isn't a problem since they're painting multiple forces and can usually find at least one to fit it into, just looking for thoughts with a rather more limited collection. This turned into a bit more of a ramble than intended, sorry.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Just use it and make up a reason why they have it.

Or use it as a proxy for something else.

Or trade it, or display it, it's a great looking mech.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
You can also keep it to use for later periods if people start playing it. As you said they mainly don’t play later on due to a lack of mechs, not on principle. Suddenly, if they see that you can field them, someone might want to branch out their own collection to match yours.

It’s a cool mech. I’d just paint it.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

just paint it and play with it. i don't see any good reason why a mercenary company might not have, at least for a brief period, an intact clan mech. space is big and there are a lot of untold stories in the 3025-3067 timeline, the story of your merc company can be one of them, and they've gotten their hands on a mad cat. why not?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

No reason they couldn't have been on some world the clans were invading, and one of the pilots challenged someone to a duel for it. Hell, canonically one planet played rugby for possession of a world so some random mercs fighting trial and the winner got a Timber Wolf.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Clearly nothing you can do with it. The only solution is to send it to me, I will take good care of it

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Give it a Clan paint scheme, but then put a few stripes down the middle in your unit's main color, and put unpainted hasty armor patches on the back indicating it got nabbed in an ambush like the MechCommander intro

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Your merc company's been looking for an edge competing for contracts, so you've been telling people you have clan tech. No one's seen a clan mech up close where you're working, so your catapult with some lovely arms welded onto it is convincing enough.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

SkyeAuroline posted:

but random mercenary company #24601 rolling up with intact clan salvage of the iconic invasion mech feels silly,

Nah one of my favorite parts of Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries is when you escape from the Clan prison camp with a Firemoth and can sell it for a bazillion spacebux.

Just imagine someone was in the right place at the right time and probably retired early selling a Timberwolf to some Steiner earl.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
You can also use it as a Rakshasa, the lovely Timberwolf knockoff that was used as a technology testbed and got "sold" to mercenary units semi-regularly so the manufacturer could get real actual field test data.

actually3raccoons
Jun 5, 2013

SkyeAuroline posted:

I recognize in advance this is a silly question that I'm going to field anyway. I'm painting my company so far (already-posted support lance & the AGoAC box that just finished primer curing) in a consistent scheme and aiming to do the same for future mechs; not that I don't like a variety of factions, I just want my own stuff to be consistent/interchangeable. "Problem" that manifests: these are mercenaries, closer to pirates. All well and good, but I'm vaguely eyeing the Wolf's Dragoons Assault Star box once I have this set done and a few games run at the shop; the Archer is my favorite mech and I'd like both non-limited plastic versions eventually, the Blackjack fits with "backwater periphery pirates" well enough, and the Rifleman is just Blackjack +1 in that regard.

And then there's the Annihilator and Timber Wolf. The Annihilator I've already written off, I'll paint it Wolf's Dragoons and just stick it on a desk shelf for display. The Timber Wolf is a whole different issue. I've mostly planned with 3025 through mid Clan Invasion in mind, since that's what my local seems focused on & also the eras of most interest to me. As far as I know nobody plays past the Jihad era and even that's limited - not due to grog-ness about it, people just don't have the collections for later eras. I have no intent of buying any other clan mechs in the future (unless they release a plastic Glass Spider, which will similarly just go on display).

What on earth do I do with a single Timber Wolf, short of consigning it to another display-only slot or trading it with someone for a different IS mech? If this was the Combine or something, I'd feel better about fielding a repainted Timber Wolf, since they're at least acknowledged to have captured them - was reading up on battle armor last night and "captured Timber Wolf PPCs" came up a couple times - but random mercenary company #24601 rolling up with intact clan salvage of the iconic invasion mech feels silly, and outside of "let's play some duels" I don't see how much fielding a single mech alone will do.

Yes, I looked into buying the mechs individually and the secondhand markup was insane - just the Archer mini goes for nearly as much as the whole box does. I imagine for most people this isn't a problem since they're painting multiple forces and can usually find at least one to fit it into, just looking for thoughts with a rather more limited collection. This turned into a bit more of a ramble than intended, sorry.

There are a bunch of clan Omnis that are available to Mercs in the ilClan era.

http://masterunitlist.info/Era/FactionEraDetails?FactionId=34&EraId=257

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

SkyeAuroline posted:

Give it a shark mouth and lead the 17th Recon.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

SkyeAuroline posted:

I own five Clan mechs because I bought a pack of them to have a Masakari I could paint as Reinhardt Steiner. In the event I do actually put them on the table, they aren't a Dasher or whatever else, they're additional Wolfhounds and Griffins.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

thought i'd share these with the thread. my hex terrain was way to finnicky, to setup/tear down but especially to make. plus the aesthetic was still too gamey-looking and i just wasn't happy with it overall. i think i made ~130 hexes before i gave up on the concept. am now going with a still modular, but much more enjoyable to make and also more diorama-like in style large square tile. finished the first today (minus some finishing touches like scattered trees), hoping to have the other 3 finished in the next couple weeks. they're 560 mm square, about 22". will be using the dfa wargaming scenarios to play on them

apologies for the poo poo camera photos. will get good pics w/ dslr during the first game on them

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 12, 2022

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

apologies for the poo poo camera photos. will get good pics w/ dslr during the first game on them

Those are amazing photos and you should be proud of the table. That would be fantastic to play on.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

thought i'd share these with the thread. my hex terrain was way to finnicky, to setup/tear down but especially to make. plus the aesthetic was still too gamey-looking and i just wasn't happy with it overall. i think i made ~130 hexes before i gave up on the concept. am now going with a still modular, but much more enjoyable to make and also more diorama-like in style large square tile. finished the first today (minus some finishing touches like scattered trees), hoping to have the other 3 finished in the next couple weeks. they're 560 mm square, about 22". will be using the dfa wargaming scenarios to play on them

So what did you end up doing with all your hexes? Cause I might be convinced to take them off your hands…

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

:siren:https://www.humblebundle.com/books/...labs_bookbundle:siren:

100% off the beginner box at the CGL store + a bunch of ebooks from humble bundle.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Continental US customers only. :sigh:

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

Siivola posted:

Continental US customers only. :sigh:

Booo. Didn't realize that, sorry!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

koreban posted:

Those are amazing photos and you should be proud of the table. That would be fantastic to play on.

thanks, i'm pretty excited. a good table is a highlight of gaming for me

Dr. Lunchables posted:

So what did you end up doing with all your hexes? Cause I might be convinced to take them off your hands…

i still have them, and i'm not sure what i'm going to do with them yet... they are all hand made and feature an interlocking base system so if you wanted to expand the collection you'd need to make more in the same style (i do use wooden jigs to make the cuts which does make it easier tbh). i'll come here first if i do decide to part with them

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Is the old …Mechs! plastic mech box set worth 40-50€? Someone on German Ebay is selling a mint condition one with untouched mechs.

Most of those old sculpts are wack as hell but I still kinda want it

Edit: to be clear, it’s basically the same as this https://www.sarna.net/wiki/BattleMechs:_Plastic_Miniatures

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 12, 2022

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

zharmad posted:

:siren:https://www.humblebundle.com/books/...labs_bookbundle:siren:

100% off the beginner box at the CGL store + a bunch of ebooks from humble bundle.

Thanks for the heads-up. I jumped on it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

a cyborg mug posted:

Is the old …Mechs! plastic mech box set worth 40-50€? Someone on German Ebay is selling a mint condition one with untouched mechs.

Most of those old sculpts are wack as hell but I still kinda want it

Edit: to be clear, it’s basically the same as this https://www.sarna.net/wiki/BattleMechs:_Plastic_Miniatures

I have the Battlemaster from this set and it's basically fine. In fact, I'm pretty sure a goon gave it to me. In any case, they are functional game pieces but are the old unseen designs. The quality of the detail isn't great.

Edit: Got him out of storage. The paint job is from when I was just getting back into miniatures so it's pretty basic, but you get a good feel for the model.

You can see how the back is kind of concave. It's not really a big deal, but it might annoy you if you're used to the modern plastics.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Nov 13, 2022

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Thanks for the post & photo!

Yeah, I ended up not buying the box. There are a couple of decent ones in there (like that BattleMaster) but the new plastics are just ludicrously much better than the old stuff and I don’t know if I’d ever want to put such models on the table, even if painted to perfection (which I’m the wrong guy for). The idea of MORE MECHS (and somewhat rare ones at that) just tempted me.

Incidentally it looks like I’ll be taking part in a Christmas tournament in Magdeburg where the prizes seem to be some of those Unseen plastics. Guess I might end up with some of them anyway.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Crossposting from mini painting.

quote:

4 more mechs for the Raiders. Honestly the second batch turned out worse than the first in several aspects, I'm fairly disappointed, but I'm mostly just glad they're painted. These guys were a testbed for a few changes from the first batch, none of which really worked out. But hey, 8 of 12 done.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So I got the Humble Bundle with the code for a Beginner's Box, it said in the email there aren't any more beginner boxes available to January, yet on the Catalyst website it seems they're in stock? How does one use the code?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Go to the website, order a box, and put the code in the coupon spot. It'll be free but you'll have to pay shipping.