Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Splicer posted:

Whoever is in charge of the UK right now must be so relieved.

Oh God I had a panic attack there, and had to check it wasn't me yet.

Seems I've dodged it for another day, but it's only a matter of time. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Decon posted:

StarLink customers buying a subscription because they're in remote places and/or just fanboys

I guarantee the bulk of the money Starlink has made is because the DoD bought it for Ukraine at an exorbitant markup price and it was used to great effect, then he got on the phone with Putin and started loving with it when people told him to gently caress himself

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Splicer posted:

Whoever is in charge of the UK right now must be so relieved.

Why? How did they even shoot their own foot this time? Do they even have any feet left to shoot?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

zedprime posted:

Elon is hardly an infinite money haver in this case. He's leveraged up to his elbows to have done this without getting out of Tesla and if he can't reap the payments he's gonna have to keep selling Tesla stock (which he's already started.) He needs something coming out today if he wants to remain half as relevant as he was before the sale.

yeah he needs 1 billion in positive cash flow to make his interest payments each year. Yes Elon's worth more than that but its not in cash its in stock. And when you sell a billion dollars in stock the worth of the rest goes down by a lot because of how supply and demand works. So he has to find a billion in profit in a company that's only ever even been in the black two years out of what 14?

Again and again his problem is: he paid 44 billlion for an 8 billion company

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

yeah he needs 1 billion in positive cash flow to make his interest payments each year. Yes Elon's worth more than that but its not in cash its in stock. And when you sell a billion dollars in stock the worth of the rest goes down by a lot because of how supply and demand works. So he has to find a billion in profit in a company that's only ever even been in the black two years out of what 14?

two quarters

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

If only I were intelligent enough to even begin to comprehend Musk's eight-dimensional chess moves!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

MrQwerty posted:

two quarters

Out of 14 years!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Billionaire grifter grifts himself to own the libs

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

MrQwerty posted:

I guarantee the bulk of the money Starlink has made is because the DoD bought it for Ukraine at an exorbitant markup price and it was used to great effect,
No they made their money from welfare. The FCC gave SpaceX about $900 million in grants in 2020 as part of their “bring broadband to rural areas” program. The same grant requests in 2022 were denied.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

MrQwerty posted:

I guarantee the bulk of the money Starlink has made is because the DoD bought it for Ukraine at an exorbitant markup price and it was used to great effect, then he got on the phone with Putin and started loving with it when people told him to gently caress himself

Oh, for loving sure that's where the bulk of Starlink's money is from. Elon's poo poo is all propped up by the US govt.. But, as far as actual individual customers go, I'd bet it's a mixture of like 66% fanboys and 33% said fanboys friends who happen to live in rural places and got convinced.

Elon's businesses are this meme but the poles are labeled "DoD", "DoE", "insert 3 letter govt org here". My lazy rear end doesn't feel like opening paint to do it.

But as far as Elon's limited experience with actual flesh and blood individual customers goes, again, it's largely fanboys in various states of captiveness, and their unwitting friends. Dipshits that are convinced he's "such a good engineer" because he bought someone else's work and claimed credit for it.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
He was in a huge rush to get in there and make changes before the midterms and "democratize" blue checkmarks so that the liberal media doesn't have an outsized influence due to being verified. If everyone in QAnon got one, then it would become a place with "balanced discourse". Sane CEOs would spend the first 5-6 months in meetings proposing and discussing any potential changes.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 11, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Decon posted:

Get on the right wing grift train, probably. Just whole cloth make poo poo up about how the left set him up for failure because they hate free speech.

It's not because he bought a business in a field he has little to no experience in and proceed to fire both senior engineers and salespeople while trying to replicate his busuiness model from a totally different situation (Tesla customers buying subscriptions for poo poo because they're a captive audience; StarLink customers buying a subscription because they're in remote places and/or just fanboys). It was those loving commies and Je... I mean Zoomers!
he's too much of a coward for this is the thing. if he wanted to go all in on rightwing grift he already would have. he backs down constantly on just about everything, as proven by twitter blue already being disabled.

hes a manchild who wants to be liked by everyone. he doesnt have it in him to take a hardline position like that. thats why he goes 'i vote republican! you should too!' but refuses to actually talk about policies or politics.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

he's too much of a coward for this is the thing. if he wanted to go all in on rightwing grift he already would have. he backs down constantly on just about everything, as proven by twitter blue already being disabled.

hes a manchild who wants to be liked by everyone. he doesnt have it in him to take a hardline position like that. thats why he goes 'i vote republican! you should too!' but refuses to actually talk about policies or politics.

He clearly thinks of himself as a centrist, middle-of-the-road dude, but he's been in a right-wing information bubble for so long that he'll post crazy stuff like that Paul Pelosi conspiracy theory without realizing just how crazy it sounds to the rest of us outside of his bubble.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Data Graham posted:

A coworker and I have the credo "strong opinions, weakly held"

Elon needo the credo

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Wow everybody, this is so exciting! I got a free Twitter Blue subscription with my brand-new RTX 4080 12GBRTX 4070 Ti!

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth
China thinks Elon is a dumb small idiot.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

CumBlast Radius Jr posted:

China thinks Elon is a dumb small idiot.

Yilong Ma exists

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

twitter isnt worth billion

crime weed fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 11, 2022

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Endorph posted:

You're right that he's a coward and a manchild, but a coward and a manchild backed into a corner is likely to do stupid/crazy poo poo.

Especially when the likeliest people to "throw him a rope" are established right wing grifters. Like DaveWoo said, he's already so lost in the right wing infobubble that he posted the Paul Pelosi conspiracy theory unironically.

I don't think he'll be a successful grifter. I just expect that to be his pivot, at least briefly, before he finally fully collapses into obscurity. He'll be a brief puppet grifter that they'll tout around as the "brave, smart engineer whose businesses were wrongly dismantled by the left" much like Peterson is the "brave, smart psychologist and self help guru whose academic career was wrongly ended by the left". But, unlike Peterson or Shapiro and so on, he has no capacity for public speaking.

Or he'll just continue being a rich as gently caress CEO of multiple companies and continue peddling "how hard it is to be a CEO just look how hard it was to keep Twitter afloat" while spending his days shitposting and playing video games because Tesla, SpaceX, and Starlink will get no strings attached bailouts because justice is a loving joke in America and we wouldn't know a meritocratic system if it kicked us in the collective balls.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

. And when you sell a billion dollars in stock the worth of the rest goes down by a lot because of how supply and demand works.

I remember finding a public trade link that shows what a certain person is trading and seeing Zuckerberg selling 10 stocks of Facebook per 5 minutes or something. Is that what one would have to do to prevent instant devaluing?

(I forget where I found it. worked at a trading company as a data analyst and found the service visible even when not authenticated)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Zuck isn't human enough to expect him to behave in an understandable manner.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
If Elmo had just changed nothing initially, and then allowed all the nazis back and even pushed them forward, he probably could have recouped his losses over time with $$ from the fascists.

Or am I missing something? I mean, that is what it looked like he was gonna do at the beginning.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He needed to massively increase income to pay the interest on his loans.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Decon posted:

Get on the right wing grift train, probably. Just whole cloth make poo poo up about how the left set him up for failure because they hate free speech.

It's not because he bought a business in a field he has little to no experience in and proceed to fire both senior engineers and salespeople while trying to replicate his busuiness model from a totally different situation (Tesla customers buying subscriptions for poo poo because they're a captive audience; StarLink customers buying a subscription because they're in remote places and/or just fanboys). It was those loving commies and Je... I mean Zoomers!

the right wing grift train makes you millions or a few hundred million dollars. not billions.

Elon Musk can't get on the right wing grift train, people like Musk and Thiel *are* the train.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

goatface posted:

He needed to massively increase income to pay the interest on his loans.

LMAO. Well, he's certainly done that.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

goatface posted:

Zuck isn't human enough to expect him to behave in an understandable manner.

I looked into other people like Gates, president of Sony, and people from Apple and this is a common thing it turned out. I think this is a way for them to have income without working.

This service exists specifically for people with high stock quantities so they can be monitored to make sure they aren't doing weird stock trades.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

The man made a binding offer that wasn’t financially sound, and now he’s stuck underwater

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
He has a fundamental lack of understanding of what free speech is, and also that you don’t own the humans who work for you or contribute to your website.

Spitting image, I’ve never met a nice South African from 1986 https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x64bid6

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

learnincurve posted:

He has a fundamental lack of understanding of what free speech is, and also that you don’t own the humans who work for you or contribute to your website.

Spitting image, I’ve never met a nice South African from 1986 https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x64bid6

This is the most upsettingly British thing I've ever seen.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

learnincurve posted:

Well, that's no problem; he doesn't see his employees as humans.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Waltzing Along posted:

If Elmo had just changed nothing initially, and then allowed all the nazis back and even pushed them forward, he probably could have recouped his losses over time with $$ from the fascists.

Or am I missing something? I mean, that is what it looked like he was gonna do at the beginning.

Nah, the grift train wouldn't have bailed him out for the amount Twitter needs to survive after chasing off its primary income which was ads.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

EVIL Gibson posted:

I remember finding a public trade link that shows what a certain person is trading and seeing Zuckerberg selling 10 stocks of Facebook per 5 minutes or something. Is that what one would have to do to prevent instant devaluing?

(I forget where I found it. worked at a trading company as a data analyst and found the service visible even when not authenticated)

Yes. It’s a function of daily volume, how much you can offload. When I sell my class A shares, I call my “I banker” and tell him how much I want to liquidate. He looks at the daily volume and determines a reasonable timeframe to unload to shares to minimize stock value impact. He then shoots it over to one of the traders on his team who gradually sells throughout the day/week(s).

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
The amount of money Elmo needs to keep Twitter’s debt in check is staggering. Almost anything worth discussing is still only like 5-10% at the absolute best case.

It’s hard to really put into words how loving stupid the financials of this deal are.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

EVIL Gibson posted:

EVIL Gibson posted:

I looked into other people like Gates, president of Sony, and people from Apple and this is a common thing it turned out. I think this is a way for them to have income without working.

This service exists specifically for people with high stock quantities so they can be monitored to make sure they aren't doing weird stock trades.

It's also a thing to have ironclad protection against insider trading problems: you want to sell stock, but what if something bad happens the week after? That looks real bad. So instead CEOs and other people with important positions hand their stock to a 3rd party and say "sell this over the course of the next month" or even "hold this for six months and then sell it".

That way whatever happens to the company, their stock trade was legal and above-board. This sale was set up before any of the bad news happened or could have been predicted by anyone.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Gubbinal Girl posted:

This is the most upsettingly British thing I've ever seen.

It was the b-side to the chicken song that was number 1 for 3 weeks, and was a watershed moment in turning the UK public against apartheid - it was this pressure (along with the Queen calling her a massive racist in a private meeting) that forced thatcher into agreeing to sanctions against SA at the end of the year

I wouldn’t Google the chicken song

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
https://mobile.twitter.com/dril/status/1590810493706698752

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
How much more money does Elon Musk have to lose before he’s forced to be someone’s butler?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

learnincurve posted:

It sucks that the new Spitting Image show is not only crap but it also got all of the good original series videos pulled off YouTube. So thanks for finding the actual video of the song.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Ah the dating app strategy

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

I like that they protected M***o's identity.