Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Subjunctive posted:

A friend of mine (he worked on Space/TimeWarp and general GPU insanity at Oculus when I was there) brought his company out of stealth today: Juice, which does IP-based transparent remoting of GPU resources at high speed.

https://www.juicelabs.co/

Binaries available for Windows, Linux (Ubuntu), and Mac; works inside VMs; no client program modifications required. I’ve seen some demo videos of it before and it is pretty friggin’ nuts.

As someone deeply involved in the pile of shitworms known as silicon valley I just want you to know that using the word "stealth" in that context made me physically cringe

It's coming from inside the thread

The synergies and cross pollination is going to be off the charts. Let's take this off line and circle back.

e: btw God of War Ragnarok has INSANE graphics especially with PS5 VRR and I don't know if any game on PC currently matches it. I haven't played it a ton yet but it's consistently managing 75-90 fps too on performance mode too.

Well maybe not the BEST but it's kind of insane what the PS5 pulls off, especially with the benefit of VRR, at its price point. This game is going to look absolutely loving GLORIOUS when it reaches PC in 2025.

Taima fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

AI-generation folks: Is there a Stable Diffusion but for speech synthesis? Asking for a friend that is mute and just dropped making youtube videos because of the cost to have other people make TTS on THEIR servers instead of using the perfectly-good hardware they have in their own computer.
When I looked into this fairly recently, MS had Fast Speech 1/2, there's an explanation and some examples here:https://speechresearch.github.io/fastspeech2/
There's an implementation you might be able to use here, though I haven't tried it: https://github.com/ming024/FastSpeech2

It doesn't sound bad but I think if I heard this in a youtube video I'd probably turn it off. Unless I knew the person was mute beforehand I suppose.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

AI-generation folks: Is there a Stable Diffusion but for speech synthesis? Asking for a friend that is mute and just dropped making youtube videos because of the cost to have other people make TTS on THEIR servers instead of using the perfectly-good hardware they have in their own computer.

My first thought was to look into assistive tech for blindness, like screen readers and such. It's going to be developed for a different reason, but it has been around for a while and assumedly progressed from where it was in the early 2000s. I learned about it when I needed to review how ADA compliant our online presence was at the place I worked during those years. Might be something promising in there?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Take a look at the Nvidia NeMo github - it's a framework (with pretrained models) to handle both STT, TTS as well as other speech and NLP use-cases
I do a fair bit of work on the domain so feel free to ask qns

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So I'm running Control on 3440x1440 with everything turned up, all raytracing enabled, and something funky is going on. I've seen higher max FPS and stable framerate with DLSS off compared to it on :confused:

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
If I remember rightly, Control has the old 1.x DLSS, which is not amazing. Enable it if you’re having performance issues, otherwise leave it off.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Control added DLSS 2 well over two years ago. I just tried it out myself, and it gave me a good 75% performance boost at 4K with ray tracing on. Not sure why it would reduce performance for you.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Nov 11, 2022

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
All I want is a computer that looks like a VCR and has a GPU enclosure that works by inserting it like a video tape

With complete flashing 12:00 on the clock that is only changeable by discovering cold fusion

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

a gpu cartridge that you plug into the computer like an nes game, where the cartridge housing is an ihs that the pc's integrated cooling solution interfaces with.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

a gpu cartridge that you plug into the computer like an nes game, where the cartridge housing is an ihs that the pc's integrated cooling solution interfaces with.

Troubleshooting step: I smell burning and there is a light amount of smoke from the cartridge slot.
Solution: Remove cartridge, blow on connectors.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Tryin to hit a decent level of quality in some sims - MSFS and the other FS22. Other stuff I play is mostly strategy or CPU intensive. I'm on 1440/144. I know MSFS will consume as much GPU as you can feed it, basically. Looks like FS22 is rendered at 1080 and benefits from DLSS upscaling to hit 1440. I would like raytracing since it is supported in both games, so that's driving me to Nvidia. It's going in a Ryzen 3600 system and I have plenty of PSU headroom to run anything.

I'm sort of ideologically opposed to buying new major computing components if I don't have to, so I'm planning to hit up the used market. I think a 3070 should be sufficient for my purposes, maybe a 3060ti? I currently have a 1650 Super and the last video card I owned before that was a R7 265 so my standards are not real high here. Should I be looking at anything else?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ChazTurbo posted:

Is there any go-to 10 ft HDMi 2.1 cable that won't break the bank?
10 feet is a weird length for modern display interfaces because it's pushing the limit of reliable operation with passive copper cables so your choices are basically crapshoot on $15 cables or pay 3-5 times as much for an optical cable.

That said, when it's intended to connect a $300-600 game console or $400-$1500 GPU to a $1000+ TV it's hard to say a cable with a two digit price tag "breaks the bank".

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GM93YQQ/
I have the 33 foot version of that cable and it's been perfect between my 3070 and LG CX.

Don't bother with active copper cables, they had a purpose back when optical cables were rare and expensive but that's just not the case anymore.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ijyt posted:

So I'm running Control on 3440x1440 with everything turned up, all raytracing enabled, and something funky is going on. I've seen higher max FPS and stable framerate with DLSS off compared to it on :confused:

Control lets you use DLSS as a supersampling algorithm so double check your settings.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

ChazTurbo posted:

To add to what wolrah said: the 48 Gbps onn-branded HDMI cables from Walmart are about $15 for 10' and work just fine. I am usually a monoprice loyalist, but they were out of stock earlier this summer when I needed one. You don't need an active cable unless you're going beyond 15 feet. 10' 48 Gbps cable from Monoprice for $10.99 + tax + ship is probably the cheapest cable if you don't wanna swing by wally world.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

ChazTurbo posted:

To add to what has already been posted:

I have a 15ft Monoprice HDMI2.1 cable and it works fine with a 1440p 144hz monitor. Sample of one, sure, but it was only around $20.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

hobbesmaster posted:

Control lets you use DLSS as a supersampling algorithm so double check your settings.

This is my guess, or you have the FSR mod installed

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yudo posted:

To add to what has already been posted:

I have a 15ft Monoprice HDMI2.1 cable and it works fine with a 1440p 144hz monitor. Sample of one, sure, but it was only around $20.

In that setup you aren't actually running at HDMI 2.1 bandwidth, HDMI 2.0 is sufficient for 1440p144 so that's probably all the monitor supports

The cable might be fine but you'd have to test it at 4k120 or something to find out

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
My 2080 FE has rattly fan and I’ve been meaning to replace them but I’m having hard time removing the hot glue on the connectors. Any tips? I’ve tried acetone on a q-tip but it hasn’t made any meaningful effect on it.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

repiv posted:

In that setup you aren't actually running at HDMI 2.1 bandwidth, HDMI 2.0 is sufficient for 1440p144 so that's probably all the monitor supports

The cable might be fine but you'd have to test it at 4k120 or something to find out

Good point. Unfortunately, I don't have anything 4k with that sort of refresh rate. Were I to, I would spend a lot more money, but the OP didn't specify.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
did the 4090 launch have scalping issues, or what's the likely reason for this?

https://twitter.com/ScanComputers/status/1590668129096671233

e: https://twitter.com/Denyah_/status/1591101087716888576

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the 4080 is a scam by big train to sell more train tickets

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
It’s because if you go into the store to buy it you’ll likely buy other things as impulse purchases. Same reason Microcenter undercuts everyone on CPUs as an in-store deal only.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
They might realize they need to create some artificial demand here too

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

For 4k 120 get a certified cable.

Im unsure if it matters if its optical or not but it absolutely needs to be rated.

I tried an unrated cable for giggles and it made the screen blink black within 5 minutes of screwing around in the overwatch 1 practice range.

I have a 25 footer (non optical) in the wall going from the tv to the long desk in the living room and its been flawless but it was not cheap.

Thank good HDMI carries the dolby atmos info.

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Anyone have some Twitter handles to follow for 4090 drops? I've been following two and keep striking out every day.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Got an RTX 3060 Ti to replace my GTX 1070. There was a pretty good early black Friday deal. Now I get to run all the cool ray tracing and AI cuda stuff everyone has been playing with.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

azzenco posted:

Anyone have some Twitter handles to follow for 4090 drops? I've been following two and keep striking out every day.

I've been on this one since the RTX 30 series days:

https://twitter.com/NS_ALERTS

There was another one, but seems like they stopped posting as of March.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

azzenco posted:

I got my 4090 with this, got mine on the discord channel but they send out tweets as well.

https://twitter.com/falcodrin

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Newegg has new 6600s for $199 today, includes codes for Dead Island 2 and the Callisto Protocol: https://www.newegg.com/sapphire-radeon-rx-6600-11310-04-20g/p/N82E16814202415

change my name fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 11, 2022

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

TomR posted:

Got an RTX 3060 Ti to replace my GTX 1070. There was a pretty good early black Friday deal. Now I get to run all the cool ray tracing and AI cuda stuff everyone has been playing with.

I just went from 1070 -> 3080 myself. I don't think I actually have anything in my library that can tax the 3080 yet. Maxed-out Elden Ring for a few minutes didn't even make the fans come on (and then it crashed, but I don't think that was a GPU problem).

I'm glad to have the 1070 around as a backup card. Seems like it's still comfortably in the "recommended" range for a lot of stuff coming out. I'm tempted to start playing around with it as an eGPU.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

istewart posted:

I just went from 1070 -> 3080 myself. I don't think I actually have anything in my library that can tax the 3080 yet. Maxed-out Elden Ring for a few minutes didn't even make the fans come on (and then it crashed, but I don't think that was a GPU problem).

I'm glad to have the 1070 around as a backup card. Seems like it's still comfortably in the "recommended" range for a lot of stuff coming out. I'm tempted to start playing around with it as an eGPU.

The 1070 has been a good card. I have two kids that are old enough to enjoy a decent video card so I'll be doing the computer parts shuffle and pass the 1070 down and move the 970 from one kid to the other. That should make them happy as they are using AMD APUs at the moment.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Our 1070s sat for 1 year with 2x 8 pin power plugs dangling off waiting for their upgrades.

So drat satisfying plugging all 3 into the 3080Tis

The 1070s will live in my pc retirement home: our FRC robotics team shop.

The kids put them in sli :3:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

My 3080 arrived today, get it installed no problem, boot up and hear a rattling. Figure I left a cable hitting a fan or something, but I check, and it all looks fine. Can't figure it out, so I take the 3080 and the rattling stops. Look at the card and 2 of the fan fins on one of the fans are snapped. Back it goes.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Thanks for the cable suggestions. Got some KabelDirekt ones for now but I'll keep the others in mind if they don't work out.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

spunkshui posted:

The kids put them in sli :3:

Child abuse

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Arrath posted:

Troubleshooting step: I smell burning and there is a light amount of smoke from the cartridge slot.
Solution: Remove cartridge, blow on connectors.

keep going I’m almost there

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Thanks goons, I'll be looking into this when I can find some time over the weekend. Hopefully this can be a Christmas present.

edit: Now I'm wondering about GPU-driven real-time voicechanging.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Well I’ll just ask here then.

What’s the current hotness in like the $100-ish ballpark? (Pretty hard limit at 150) I’m currently running a mini-atx board w/ a 2700x. I figure I’ll upgrade that in the next sooner or later and when I get a new board/cpu/etc it’s time for a new case.

Dgaf about rgb but I’m not allergic to it either.

I like the mini-atx form factor but if bigger is better I’m not size constrained any more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_w0NbB84P0

A new contender in the $100 category has arrived. CPU thermals are great, GPU thermals are average (certainly not bad, but not great), and it seems to have some decent quality of life features. The GPU thermals can probably be improved a lot with a couple fans on the PSU shroud (which pull air in through the mesh side panel)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Apples new TAAU seems pretty decent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iXx9lfe62w

Shame it's stuck on a platform with nogames and they didn't publish any implementation details for other devs to crib from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Reminds me a bit of the n64's memory pak. It was a physical cartridge that expanded the console's memory which certain games could take advantage of, like Perfect Dark. iirc the game's campaign needed it and there were bigger performance hits in multiplayer without it.