Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Regarding Sisters of Battle in Dark Tide, and for folks not so up on the more recent miniatures, there's now something called "novitiates", which are Sisters in training (of all types, not just battle), and they fight in guard equivalent gear, custom flak armor, auto guns, conventional swords, etc. This is also why "every marine is a rifleman" in the Soritas; every hospitalier or Diplomat has spent time in the field, even if it didn't end up being their ultimate area of specialization.

I'd say the bigger barrier for their inclusion is just that they're so similar to the existing zealot.

Mechanically they are too similar to zealots. In game lore wise the player characters are pulled from penal legions, and Sisters don't go through traditional imperial justice systems. They handle their own internally (see also: Penitent Engine, arco-flagellants, ect).

Same reason why I doubt we'd get a mechanicus / Skitari character - mechanicus burnouts don't go to penal legions, they get got in internal mechanicus systems.

In terms of what makes sense to add as far as new careers / hero equivalents, I'm thinking other grades of people who would get got by penal legions, and support staff for them. So like a Scum / Ganger career of some variety, alternate permutations of guardsman/zealot/psyker/ogryn, a comissar burnout that's hosed up bad enough to get busted down to penal duties, failed Arbites, that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Being able to play as a flagellant would be pretty rad if you don’t mind the constant screaming

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
A very helpful, likeable kinda guy who's just down on his luck and was definitely framed for a murder of a low level administratum night watchmen who's really good with his hands. So good he dual wields pistol weapons. He's also really good at hiding contraband items like poison/ healing gas grenades, knives, flashbangs and other mysterious flasks in spaces on his body nobody knew he had.

He's also DEFINITELY never been called an "acolyte", that's funny. What's this "brewed brother" you keep talking about? They sound fun.

Edit: Lots of voice lines like "wow the Magos would be so proud of us!! When we get out of this I can't wait to show you guys around back home! :D :D"

"...the who?"

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 11, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's just Saltspyre with fewer restraints.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They should throw lore out the window and just make up some flimsy BS excuse why these "classes" are in the game when they normally wouldn't be. Who cares.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Saying "Soritas wouldn't be prisoners" doesn't really hold water to me, not because I disagree but because I don't think FatShark are going to be concerned with contradicting their narrative with DLC classes.

Witchhunters and Priests of Sigmar aren't the same thing, let alone Grail Knights; when it comes to DLC the narrative takes a back seat because by then you've already internalized the "truth" of what's going on and you can entertain little asides.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

A very helpful, likeable kinda guy who's just down on his luck and was definitely framed for a murder of a low level administratum night watchmen who's really good with his hands. So good he dual wields pistol weapons. He's also really good at hiding contraband items like poison/ healing gas grenades, knives, flashbangs and other mysterious flasks in spaces on his body nobody knew he had.

He's also DEFINITELY never been called an "acolyte", that's funny. What's this "brewed brother" you keep talking about? They sound fun.

You joke, but my first thought for a post release character was a desperado / pistolier class. Make his passive the ability to dual wield pistol-sized weapons with a penalty to accuracy. Make him a short-mid ranged skirmisher compared to the sharpshooter being a long ranged tack driver. I can imagine the sort of carnage that could be done with dual autopistols or revolvers. Make his unique weapons like a matched pair of sawed off double barrel shotguns and/or plasma pistols that behave like drakefire pistols in Vermintide.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Saying "Soritas wouldn't be prisoners" doesn't really hold water to me, not because I disagree but because I don't think FatShark are going to be concerned with contradicting their narrative with DLC classes.

Witchhunters and Priests of Sigmar aren't the same thing, let alone Grail Knights; when it comes to DLC the narrative takes a back seat because by then you've already internalized the "truth" of what's going on and you can entertain little asides.

Witch hunters graduating to warrior priests isn't unheard of in the lore(and most warrior priests still love burning them some witches) , and Kruber being a grail knight is basically a practical joke played on him by Kerellian (because grail knights are explicitly creations of the wood elves). But that also goes back to Vermintide being "character first, class second" sort of design.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 11, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Grail Knights just drink goddess bath water and think it gives them sexual powers.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

DeathSandwich posted:

You joke, but my first thought for a post release character was a desperado / pistolier class. Make his passive the ability to dual wield pistol-sized weapons with a penalty to accuracy. Make him a short-mid ranged skirmisher compared to the sharpshooter being a long ranged tack driver. I can imagine the sort of carnage that could be done with dual autopistols or revolvers. Make his unique weapons like a matched pair of sawed off double barrel shotguns and/or plasma pistols that behave like drakefire pistols in Vermintide.

I think it's a good space to explore since the emphasis on ranged combat has increased. If we're looking for the types of folks we'd expect to be prisoners to fill these class types up I don't see why the pistolero can't be a late gen Genestealer Cultist who got caught getting up to some political murders before the local authorities found the coven out. Especially since that army gets Kellermorphs now; too many armed, pistol whipping, red bandana wearing inspirational heroes that exist because the Hive Mind figured out that's what humans like to see in their revolutionary figures.

He can even be a positive, supportive and downright pleasant personality to act as a foil to our dour rejects and the Imperium, because it's funny textually and make perfect sense as he's trying to get people interested in his literature.

EDIT: Oh hell yeah his grenade skill ability whips out a third arm from his chest with a big boi revolver with 6 man-stopper rounds or something. The other characters say several things to the effect of "whoah what the hell was that", "eewww by the Emperor WHAT!", "We'll talk about this later".

And our good hearted Ogryn is so happy there's another nice "mutant" on the team and tries to be his best friend.

"Do not worry, 3 arms. Little men say same things about Ogryn, but smash the same :D "

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 11, 2022

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Gods don't give a poo poo about being in the strict religious order, just how driven of a believer they are and Saltzpyre is nothing but that.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I don't see why the pistolero can't be a late gen Genestealer Cultist

:catstare:

No. What? Why?

Genestealers don't make it to penal legions under the auspices of an inquisitor. They get burned to a cinder like 4 steps before that as a xeno infection.

Like - Genestealer cults are right there with nurgle cults on the list of "burn everything associated with it and a lot of stuff that isn't" when they pop up on a planet.

You're way more likely to see Genestealers as enemies before they pop up as a class.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
That's why they're late gen. The ones that pass for human if you don't go digging in their organs right? Picked up doing some usual-looking murder/burglary stuff before their home jurisdiction even noticed what's going on because it's a neglected backwater, ends up on a prison ship that the inquisition is picking over for cannon fodder candidates and Prisoner#53829748 doesn't have anything on their file about xenos taint, genetic aberrations or anything else (because of the aforementioned lazy home jurisdiction), so they get shuffled into the meat grinder too. I could see it happening in the "comedy of errors" kind of way Ciaphas Cain novels go if it weren't for the psyker invading your mind for brain training. Then if the three arms at high noon trick happens everyone can be surprised, disgusted, confused or suddenly very terse depending on whether they know what that means or not.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

They don't have to be wedded to the prisoner concept. A dlc set of classes could easily be more traditional inquisitor retinue types, which opens it up quite a bit.

E: it's one of the upsides to having them be generic and not named characters.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
^^^: Only if the Inquisitor turns out to be an Ordo Xenos Radical, so I can play as a Kroot.

I hope Ratlings make it in.

Only they're basically just playable Skaven.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 11, 2022

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Edit: Quote is not!

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Very optimistic of Fatshark to start their early access at the end of the week.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Kokoro Wish posted:

^^^: Only if the Inquisitor turns out to be an Ordo Xenos Radical, so I can play as a Kroot.

I hope Ratlings make it in.

Only they're basically just playable Skaven.

I'd guess ratling is a safe bet. If they add inquisitor retinue there's a lot of inspiration to draw from like Dark Heresy for concepts, but my bet is initially we'll see more draw from Fantasy Flight's Only War game at first.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
The "Inquisitorial operation" setting pretty much sets the stage for a huge variety of wacky poo poo to show up; as others have mentioned, there's plenty of room for non-convict characters to be bumping shoulders with the rejects in a mission. There's a non-zero chance we could see absolutely bizarre inclusions like the space-ape Jokaero.

My money's on classic Hrud, who were originally space-skaven before they got retconned into wacky inflatable tube men:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Jimbot posted:

They should throw lore out the window and just make up some flimsy BS excuse why these "classes" are in the game when they normally wouldn't be. Who cares.

Yeah, dope poo poo over continuity forever and ever amen

Give me the og vermintide crew because wobbly wobbly timey wimey MAGIC

THE WARP

Or something

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Surely in all the lore and fluff 40k has over the decades there’s some jokey character somewhere that stumbled into some warpy poo poo in Fantasy and ended up in the 41st millennium. There has to be precedent!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Bussamove posted:

Surely in all the lore and fluff 40k has over the decades there’s some jokey character somewhere that stumbled into some warpy poo poo in Fantasy and ended up in the 41st millennium. There has to be precedent!

does every greater demon count

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Bussamove posted:

I'm almost certain that some major fantasy series - maybe Gotrek and Felix? - has some sort of warp tunnel scene with chaos space marines involved

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Bussamove posted:

That actually used to happen a lot for Chaos characters in the early editions in both directions

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Cease to Hope posted:

does every greater demon count

I think it's moreso 40k stuff popping up in WFB than the other way around. Amazons have guns that are all but imperial guard lasguns, there's a couple chainswords floating around (including one in Total Warhammer 3), things like that.

Daemons of chaos are the same in both settings but the named characters play much different roles (Hi, Bel'Akor!) and they don't reference the opposite setting in-character.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
If the first new class isn't a disgraced Tech Adept with a suite of radioactive firearms, I riot. :colbert:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Yeah, he's Archaon's dad.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Inquisitors can do pretty much anything, even stuff that's nominally heresy. And they often get owed strange favours by powerful people. So there isn't much they can't hand-wave an explanation for that basically fits. Even working openly with xenos is fine if an inquisitor says it is.

But yeah, a Sororitas anything would be way too similar in terms of character to a zealot. Sororitas are just the more ruthless version of the zealot. I can't see them putting in the huge expense it is to do voice lines to basically re-record an existing character. Not when they could do an AdMech class or something else that'd really be distinct. Also expecting female ogryns to come post-release. There isn't any reason for them to be excluded other than as a time constraint, really.

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 12, 2022

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Been messing around with other 40K games to scratch my itch for the next 6 days. Space Marine is still good obviously, but just makes me think of Darktide. Same for Deathwing, but it's less good. Dawn of War 1 and 2 are still classics in their own ways. Dawn of War 3 is still just feels so weirdly... incorrect. I wish I didn't suck so bad at the Battlefleet Gothic games cause they're cool and are a really neat idea. Inquisitor Martyr is okay, but I'm not a fan of the style of optimal play in these types of games. I've heard nothing but glowing things for Mechanicus and Battlesector but I'm not huge on turn-based tactics games.

Darktide is just what I've always wanted. Put me in a unit at the ground level with some teammates and throw the hordes at us.

Also glad that Indypride/Milkandcookies is getting bigger than usual view counts. So much of the other content for Darktide is pretty bad, while he shows off gameplay and talks about features without much bullshit.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'm both excited Sienna is finally getting her new subclass and sort of perplexed at what flavor of magical pyromaniac they can bring out that'll feel distinct.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
How about an all-melee class? that'd be super original and not played out at all

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Fishstick posted:

How about an all-melee class? that'd be super original and not played out at all

How about an all ranged class?

*eyebrows waggle off of face into the heavens*

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bussamove posted:

During the End Times the Skaven accidentally prank called the 40K Eldar on a warpstone-powered satellite radio.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Anything I should know about Vermintide 2 difficulties? I have been playing Veteran, about to move onto Champion.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

Anything I should know about Vermintide 2 difficulties? I have been playing Veteran, about to move onto Champion.

If you play Sienna, watch the fire (unless you want to hear great dialogue from the characters bitching about being burnt, then burn away).

Ranged friendly fire becomes a Thing.

Champion seems to be the most enjoyable mode for my money tbh

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Caidin posted:

I'm both excited Sienna is finally getting her new subclass and sort of perplexed at what flavor of magical pyromaniac they can bring out that'll feel distinct.

From the leaks and speculation: Is an ice witch pyromaniac still a pyromaniac?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

LostRook posted:

From the leaks and speculation: Is an ice witch pyromaniac still a pyromaniac?

Kislev is a thing so an ice witch would be p dope

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Her sister is a necromancer so it’s possible she goes hard into shadow magic. It would also provide plenty of opportunities for Saltz to completely lose his poo poo

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Unlucky7 posted:

Champ is where you should practice killing specials while still in combat, getting good at looking behind you frequently, and learning the rhythm of attacking, blocking and dodging to clear hordes without being hit. You have a ton of room for mistakes in champ but most of that disappears when you hit legend, so start practicing now

Also it might be rough with the huge influx of new players. I keep getting Legend games with people who haven't even hit 30 yet, which is fine but they also play without fundamentals haha. It is fun in its own way but I have not been getting good chests tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Magitek posted:

Her sister is a necromancer so it’s possible she goes hard into shadow magic. It would also provide plenty of opportunities for Saltz to completely lose his poo poo

I'd considered her becoming a different sort of wizard. it seems a a bit of a step to about face to a different wind of magic or whatever Ice Witchs do, but then again Kruber going grail knight was a bit of left field itself at the time.