Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

It's only a Volkssturm if it is made in the Fulder Gap region of Germany. Otherwise it's just sparkling mobilization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

mlmp08 posted:

Hot Take: The Russian military was not prepared to engage in this war, because their logistical support into other countries is really lacking and their targeting to shape operations is bad. This is true, even if they were allowed to make their own plan (though maybe the Russian military planner-pure plan would be "let's not go in there"). We already saw Russia struggle with sustaining even smaller forces in 2014 and combined arms maneuver above very small bespoke units, and it looks like it hasn't been improved nearly enough. Their ability to sustain land forces forward is subpar, and they have not been able to make up for that with their long-range fires and VKS.

I think the Russian military would be a much, much more difficult foe and not such a failure if they were holding their own lines or defending, and I don't mean that from a force ratio perspective, I mean that from a targeting and supply lines and combined arms maneuver perspective.

Presumably, if Russia had committed to raising some massive army ahead of time, well, that takes months/years to do, and people like Ukraine and Ukraine-supporting nations would see that occurring and take some kind of preparation. Arguably, Russia also could have tried this rapid regime change approach in 2017 or something and maybe done better, but counterfactuals are hard to analyze.

do you have an explanation that's not "the corrupt slav is too corrupt to reform his army and plan operations"??

russia has one of the most advanced armies in the world with the most and biggest artillery tubes on the planet, and the battle maps from march show they were making excellent progress with videos of kilometers and kilometers of lost ukrainian vehicles and the supposed russian logistic issues were all made up western propaganda

they encircled kiev while their guns pinned and pounded the professional afu in the east and could've taken the city but the kremlin wanted to avoid a bloodbath

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

any bets on whether the sanctions get lifted after a negotiated peace?

Probably depends on how much territory Russia is willing to give back in negotiations. It's the biggest bargaining chip Ukraine has, assuming the West is willing to allow them to negotiate sanctions at all.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Russians at this point will throw that in for free lol

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Putin's totalitarian regime continues to oppress cspam posters

Молотов! posted:

GAVE UP KHERSON AND WILL GIVE UP MOSCOW

Today in Perm, Olga Syutkina, an activist of Limonov's Other Russia, picketed against the traitorous surrender of Kherson in front of the city's parliament building on symbolic "VLAST" benches.

As soon as the police approached, Olga slit her arm with the words "This is the blood of Russian people."

The police officers did not provide first aid and called an ambulance. Olga was put away to wait for the ambulance.
(from t.me/molotov_perm/3423, via tgsa)

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

they encircled kiev while their guns pinned and pounded the professional afu in the east and could've taken the city but the kremlin wanted to avoid a bloodbath

they certainly didnt try to avoid a bloodbath in mariupol, so i think the idea that the russians were being nice in kyiv or w.e doesnt make much sense

they just didnt bring enough people or guns for kyiv, there is no way they could have taken kyiv with the forces allocated to kyiv

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Unless there's a resolution of all disputed territories, at least the pre-war sanctions will obviously remain in place, and probably a bit beyond that, but the smartest thing the West could do if there is a prolonged cease fire is find a way to bring Russia back into the dollar economy. Obviously other countries will still remember how fast the West was to de-SWIFT Russia, so a search for alternatives will continue, but the US in particular still has an interest in trying to slow that process as much as possible.

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1591034676613115905

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
more like Olga Sakrina

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Putin selected all the troops and then left-clicked the right bank of the Dniepr

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lol all russia's penny packet war has managed to do is awaken a sleeping enemy and fill him with a terrible resolve. ukraine is just going to keep hammering at the occupied territories with its 3+:1 advantage because russia is incapable of actually fielding an appropriate sized force now that ukraine has fully mobilized

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Putin selected all the troops and then left-clicked the right bank of the Dniepr

thats the real reason russia is suffering, putin didnt even play the tutorial. if he did then he would know that you have to right click to move troops

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

A lot of the observations I’m reading stop just short of anything that would actually remedy the problems, emphasis and annotations mine:

“Russia has a certain number of soldiers committed to the battlefield for the time being. Even after the mobilization only the number increases. It is still a SMO. Not a declared war. Which means, that there won’t be automatically mobilization waves after waves, to adjust the needed number of troops on the battlefield, to replace casualties and to manoeuvre (✅) . No. For Russia, at least for now, it is a strategic challenge, to achieve the objectives, set by the politics(✅), with a certain number of assigned troops.”

Committing the troops on a battlefield, where you can’t achieve your objectives is a waste of these scarce resources (✅). You need to commit your troops exactly on the strategic theatre, where you assign the highest probability, to achieve your political objectives, with the assigned number of troops. Obviously, it was not Kherson anymore, since the full NATO commitment (⁉️).”

Advancing from Kherson to Odessa or Krivoy Rog would mean the following:

- Sustaining a strategic offensive over a major river. (✅)

- Direct head on battles with massive enemy formations. (✅)

This would lead to countless dead Ukrainians (❔). And even more families, that would hate Russia for at least three generations to come. Even though Russia is in the business of destroying the enemy army, it looks as well, to preserve as many people as possible and only to deprive the Ukrainians from the possibility to sustain this war and to simply collapse (⁉️). Collapse is the magic word of this war and Phase 3. It is all about collapse (❔).”

“If Ukraine and NATO set up all its infrastructure, logistics, equipment and people for the Kherson/Nikolayev/Odessa direction and Russia would fall for it, (❔) Russia would need to go with the head straight through the wall (✅). Don’t get me wrong. This is exactly, what the Russian doctrine is created for. Deep breakthrough operations (✅✅✅). But! Ukraine is not the enemy(❔), NATO is (❌). And NATO is using Ukraine as a socket puppet (✅). To kill all Ukrainians, standing in its way, would be exactly what NATO wants (✅) and a Win-Win for NATO (⁉️).”

“Of course, we mustn’t, still, forget the certain number of troops, allocated to this SMO. Russia can’t fight doctrinally in as SMO (✅). Fighting doctrinally, with large formations means at the same time, large losses (✅). A SMO can’t sustain large losses, since the losses can’t be replenished(✅). In a doctrinal war, the loses would be filled up automatically, with units that are being trained in the rear from the beginning, only for the purpose of filling up formations with loses. Such a mechanism is currently NOT in place(❔). It is still a SMO, however people scream not it is war and gloves are off (⁉️). No. Gloves are NOT off (❔). If gloves would be off, we would see pictures, no-one of us would like to see in our generation (❔). Go and pray, that such an event will not occur, where we will need to see it (❔). Nevertheless, there is, as explain in former articles, a possibility of 30%, that we will see it.”

Article Here

It identifies all the problems I have, but then resolves that actually it’s fine that fighting the Ukrainian Army goes against the basic political constraints imposed on operations.

lol this is one of dozens like it I’ve seen in the past while. What the gently caress? The plan is for the Ukrainian Army to collapse without being attacked, or even resisted? It’s absolutely lost the plot. The Entente suffered some of their heaviest losses in the Hundred Days, but otherwise there would probably still be a Kaiser. Germany was collapsing - the Germany Army was not. From everything we know about what’s happened in Ukraine, there could be widespread starvation and the Army would be getting pallets of MREs and IMPs and stay on the field if it’s not even being fought.

I don’t know how to work my mind around this tone lately, but it seems to be confusing accepting artificial restraints with cleverness and 4D chess. Yes, this is probably the best way to conduct operations within the context of the SMO, but as that is clearly antithetical to winning a war, what’s the point?

Skillfully withdrawing, and they have, as Tankbuster says just reminds me of the orderly retreat from Mons, Wavell masterly evacuating Greece, the little ships of Dunkirk, the Gazala Gallop, the fight out of Rangoon, all of these episodes of good order, rearguard actions, you know the Anabasis stuff.

Well that’s all fine and good, they’re a credit to their uniform, but - it’s worth pointing out that at the Imjin River, Pusan, El Alamein, Thermopylae, Servia Pass, Crete, Charleroi, the Marne, Imphal and Kohima - the Commonwealth stood and fought.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Lostconfused posted:

What top of the line gear are they using?

I'm not following this like a hawk but plenty of pictures show Ukrainian soldiers/militia with modern rifles, helmets, sometimes body armor, etc. There are plenty of pictures of soldiers using nato armament that has been spreading through the country. The stories of war tourists being given lovely old AKs and barely any ammo have all dried up.

Im just saying comparing them to the volksturm, that being the last ditch forced conscripts the Nazis used, is no longer valid. They likely have some US specops guy training them that previously did that with Afghan militias and they are not being given guns literally made out of spare parts and garbage.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The Russians couldn’t go into Kiev physically due to the Irpin being an obvious choke point. It does seem like they had thought the Ukrainian army wouldn’t defend it.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol all russia's penny packet war has managed to do is awaken a sleeping enemy and fill him with a terrible resolve. ukraine is just going to keep hammering at the occupied territories with its 3+:1 advantage because russia is incapable of actually fielding an appropriate sized force now that ukraine has fully mobilized

Russia is capable of fielding such a force… it is already supposedly through training, the question is if they would actually want to use it versus a determined enemy.

The quality of equipment probably still varies, there are obviously more elite units with NATO gear and there still seems to be less well equipped units out there usually in reserve. The Ukrainians also clearly have an issue with heavy weaponry, they didn’t push the Russians out with breakthrough or attrition but constantly hitting vulnerable supply lines.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 18:24 on Nov 11, 2022

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Wow Mr Obama, so nice of you to join us from 2014. Do you know that your good buddy Joe is the president now?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Ardennes posted:

Russia is capable of fielding such a force… it is already supposedly through training, the question is if they would actually want to use it versus a determined enemy.

my understanding is that to get the actually amount of men they need requires either modifying mobilization/war laws or escalating to being an actual war rather than SMO which no one seems to want to do

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Luv 2 Skillfully Withdraw

Pipboy 3000
Oct 16, 2008

Designed to put that "good feeling" in you.

Okay now this is EPIC! Two heroes of democracy coming together for a righteous cause.. anyone else getting major Avengers vibes here? I think it might look a little something... like... this...

Putin shut the door behind him and flipped the lightswitch, letting out a long sigh before collapsing onto the couch. Another hellish day at work. After a moment of decompressing all of the day's anxieties, feeling the vertebrae of his spine slowly release the tension he'd built up over many hours filling out paperwork at the world's longest table, Putin finally rose from his couch to go prepare himself a shot of vodka for the evening. As he moved toward the kitchen, he froze in shock - out of the corner of his eye, for only a moment, he thought he saw a drab olive-colored blur moving through the shadows. "It's nothing, Vlad - you've been working too hard lately," he muttered to himself. But suddenly, a sound, almost a whisper, interrupted him. He was -sure- he'd really heard something this time, but, it made no sense - only vague sibilances and, if he heard correctly, "nucular." Putin didn't have much time to assess the source of the mysterious tones, however, and he never made it to his evening vodka either. In a flash of gold, Sean Penn's Oscar made contact with the back of the Russian leader's head. As he fell to his knees, the uknown assailant's accomplice dove forward with a washcloth and a jug of water. "Hold his head back," the elderly statesman said to his junior partner, "its about to get messy." The accomplice replied, "Do what you need to do to get the information. But when you're done, I'm going to need another $40 billion dollars."

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ardennes posted:

Part of the story is what Putin and his administration means to the average Russian, and for the most part the deal has been "don't ask us for anything but stability" and for the most part it is enough. The general economic situation in Russia has steadily been improving, and it isn't the same country as the 1990s (there are certainly lagger cities though). That said, part of the "deal" essentially, has been the Kremlin can experiment with its foreign policy and that a hefty amount of cream is being sent to the top. This is acceptable for most people since at least life is slowly getting better.

This war has been a rupture. While the sanctions were didn't have their intended effect, mobilization was the first time in a long time that the citizenry was actually asked for sacrifice for the country and as mentioned before, liberal states only ask so much because they don't want demands in return.
Bonapartism

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I'm not following this like a hawk but plenty of pictures show Ukrainian soldiers/militia with modern helmets, sometimes body armor, etc.

lol I wish I still had the link but we found a Ukrainian website that sells converted old helmets made up to look like modern FAST or MICH helmets, as well as offering a service to send them your SSh-68 (Soviet steel pot) to get the makeover. Same deal with making Soviet SB3 body armour look HSLD.

It remains a reddit rear end country.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

Luv 2 Skillfully Withdraw

Lol the Russians somehow managed to make Dugout Doug's abandonment of Manila look organized

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Raskolnikov38 posted:

my understanding is that to get the actually amount of men they need requires either modifying mobilization/war laws or escalating to being an actual war rather than SMO which no one seems to want to do

With the number of men they claimed to have mobilized (300,000+) they probably could gain the initiative but they would have to use them in a conventional role. The SMO thing does limit them using the conscripts from yearly call ups but they also need some type of force to guard their other borders (they literally can’t throw their entire army at Ukraine.)

It would take a radical change in the way they have been doing things since they would have to take and hold territory and push assaults etc.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Frosted Flake posted:

lol I wish I still had the link but we found a Ukrainian website that sells converted old helmets made up to look like modern FAST or MICH helmets, as well as offering a service to send them your SSh-68 (Soviet steel pot) to get the makeover. Same deal with making Soviet SB3 body armour look HSLD.

It remains a reddit rear end country.

i should probably retract the phrase "top of the line" as being wrong. being a reddit rear end country is still not the same as giving 70 year old men a panzerfaust and a grenade and sending them to fight the soviets

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

De-Nazification was adopted as a war goal by Putin as a concession to the communists and some nationalists, so I understood he really wasn't devoted to the goal. It's extremely funny that him and the Russian ruling class don't believe Ukraine is fascist and it's leading to them making big mistakes. Liberals are real dumb.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i should probably retract the phrase "top of the line" as being wrong. being a reddit rear end country is still not the same as giving 70 year old men a panzerfaust and a grenade and sending them to fight the soviets

Yeah I was just nitpicking that one.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Ardennes posted:

With the number of men they claimed to have mobilized (300,000+) they probably could gain the initiative but they would have to use them in a conventional role. The SMO thing does limit them using the conscripts from yearly call ups but they also need some type of force to guard their other borders (they literally can’t throw their entire army at Ukraine.)

It would take a radical change in the way they have been doing things since they would have to take and hold territory and push assaults etc.

unless they're going to throw all 300k is an massive armored thrust to encircle and destroy the UFA in the donbas, they're going to need way more men

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

when things are going great
https://twitter.com/RWApodcast/status/1590942173628882945

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Atrocious Joe posted:

De-Nazification was adopted as a war goal by Putin as a concession to the communists and some nationalists, so I understood he really wasn't devoted to the goal. It's extremely funny that him and the Russian ruling class don't believe Ukraine is fascist and it's leading to them making big mistakes. Liberals are real dumb.

lol it’s pretty wild

speng31b
May 8, 2010

its always anime

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Russians With Anime

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

4chanime will lead Russia to victory

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016

Atrocious Joe posted:

supposedly they exchanged officers from azov captured in Mariupol for Medvedchuk

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Pretty sure Putin banned anime in Russia, so this anime Tsarist fanboy should be sent to Siberia.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1591030506438606848
fake it until you make it

ps i find amusing the pettiness of the russians to remove the administrative plaza flagpole so ukr couldn't raise the flag

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Raskolnikov38 posted:

unless they're going to throw all 300k is an massive armored thrust to encircle and destroy the UFA in the donbas, they're going to need way more men

If they want to take the entire country it is too small but if they used those men effectively they could take the advantage. The Ukrainians outnumber the Russians in the field but they can’t be everywhere at once. The Russians only went into the country in the first place with 120k, while the Ukrainians is eventually gained probably around a 2 to one advantage including territorial defense units.

If the Russians could get a force about 400-450k they probably could at least make some sizable movement but that is a very big if.

Admittedly, the Ukrainians haven’t been pushing overwhelming amounts of units in the field, it is usually that the Russians refuse to engage.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 19:09 on Nov 11, 2022

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

400-500k is probably what russia needs to hold the line at this point

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

OctaMurk posted:

they certainly didnt try to avoid a bloodbath in mariupol, so i think the idea that the russians were being nice in kyiv or w.e doesnt make much sense

they just didnt bring enough people or guns for kyiv, there is no way they could have taken kyiv with the forces allocated to kyiv

Conspiratorist is doing a bit. or Elon took his account.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

samogonka posted:

supposedly they exchanged officers from azov captured in Mariupol for Medvedchuk

There's nothing supposed about it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
the Russians don’t just need to field 500,000 they just need to remove putin or stop him from making any decisions, he’s the #1 reason Russia lost their dumb war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Al-Saqr posted:

the Russians don’t just need to field 500,000 they just need to remove putin or stop him from making any decisions, he’s the #1 reason Russia lost their dumb war.

The Russian people have long been trapped with the fact there is literally no one to replace him with (and the liberal opposition have a round error worth of support because their candidates are actually worse).