Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Ok so every dealer is pretty much obliged (not by law but by general expectation) to be a member of a certain trade association and carry it's branding. Most independent workshops are, some aren't. To be a member you need to meet certain standards wrt premises, customer care, work standards etc as well as pay a nominal fee.

If a customer to an association member has some kind of dispute eg you sold me a bike you knew was faulty, you took ten months to fix my broken indicator lens, they are entitled to free meditation done by the association. There are set thresholds for what is considered a reasonable timeframe, reasonable due diligence etc. The member business is obliged to abide by results of said mediation Or Else.

Typically they need someone who isn't in any way connected to either party to weigh in on technical matters if the issue is something to do with that. In the car world afaik they have internal experts but bikes are a much smaller, more niche thing so they often have to get outside guys and that was me a few times. I don't want to get into how I got into that position. I've also done it a couple of times for small claims court cases, which was alarmingly more blase but also a lot more amusing with how angry the scam artists get, in those cases it was much more along the lines of 'the court needs to know if this really was a ripoff' type stuff, usually via email and then phone.

As to what I was asked about, pretty much exactly what you'd expect.

One example: a guy with a piaggio scooter got a broken drive belt, got suckered into a needless clutch and variator replacement which they promptly hosed up, while also breaking the poo poo out of his cvt cover in the process. Afterwards the bike accelerated really jerkily and the clutch slipped at random on take off. The shop hosed him around repeatedly so he called up asked for mediation.

The org took the scooter to their facility and I got called in to do a post mortem. It was obvious that they damaged the tension cones on the clutch, destroyed the orings in the middle which caused shaft grease to go all over the cones, belt and clutch, and they also didn't clear out all the old belt fibers so they got stuck into everything and hosed things up further. Additionally, they clearly didn't know you have to disconnect the shock and raise the bike out of the way to get the cvt cover out, they also didn't look like they were initially aware that you have to undo a nut under a plastic cover and tried to pry i the cvt cover off with a bar, which broke a chunk out of the corner. I took photos of this, put it all together in an easily digestible explanatory package and had to do some more explaining over the phone. This info then gets taken to mediation, officially I'm not meant to know what the outcome was.

A couple of times it was what we're talking about here, basically spurious claims that non-dealer maintenance led to unrelated failures. Let's say I have good cause to hate the orange men.

You are doing good work here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Is this the proper time to get a bigger bike?

I took the advice of this thread and bought a 30hp 300cc honda as my learner bike. I've had it for over a year and put about 9000km on it. Riding it was a revelation at first since it didn't scare me like the middleweights I learned on for the licence exam. I've become a much less lovely rider than I was a year ago for sure, but I'm not "good" by any means. At this time (and possibly for the rest of my riding life) I'm okay with settling for "smooth" and "safe" - I'll probably never become a speed demon and that's fine.

These last two weeks I've had my very generous brother's sv650 on loan since he's been traveling. Yesterday when I returned bro's bike and got on the honda again my main impressions were that I like the feel of the narrower tires and lower weight but it just feels anemic and not very exciting anymore. The SV is a fine motorcycle. Not scary, but fun. Less nimble than the honda for sure but still plenty nimble for what it is. Nicer ergos - even the seat feels good for an hour at least after some getting used to it. Really nice engine. Suspension is a bit soft for my liking maybe at least when cornering at speed but also pretty comfy. I know I don't need one but it feels like I'm gonna get one anyways. I don't know if I've learned to ride "properly" yet according to the Slavvy definition of ridership but I feel I've at least become competent enough not to kill myself immediately on a middleweight.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Invalido posted:

Is this the proper time to get a bigger bike?

I took the advice of this thread and bought a 30hp 300cc honda as my learner bike. I've had it for over a year and put about 9000km on it. Riding it was a revelation at first since it didn't scare me like the middleweights I learned on for the licence exam. I've become a much less lovely rider than I was a year ago for sure, but I'm not "good" by any means. At this time (and possibly for the rest of my riding life) I'm okay with settling for "smooth" and "safe" - I'll probably never become a speed demon and that's fine.

These last two weeks I've had my very generous brother's sv650 on loan since he's been traveling. Yesterday when I returned bro's bike and got on the honda again my main impressions were that I like the feel of the narrower tires and lower weight but it just feels anemic and not very exciting anymore. The SV is a fine motorcycle. Not scary, but fun. Less nimble than the honda for sure but still plenty nimble for what it is. Nicer ergos - even the seat feels good for an hour at least after some getting used to it. Really nice engine. Suspension is a bit soft for my liking maybe at least when cornering at speed but also pretty comfy. I know I don't need one but it feels like I'm gonna get one anyways. I don't know if I've learned to ride "properly" yet according to the Slavvy definition of ridership but I feel I've at least become competent enough not to kill myself immediately on a middleweight.

I guess it boils down to what you want to do with your bike? If you want to do longer trips then absolutely you would benefit from a bigger bike. If you want to get "better" then getting a bigger engine probably isn't going to help vs either a dirt bike or a track oriented smaller capacity bike.

Depending where you live a nicer bike is more likely to get stolen, and more complicated = harder to work on. But for general purpose utility biking it's totally fine to go up to a midsize engine.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

knox_harrington posted:

I guess it boils down to what you want to do with your bike? If you want to do longer trips then absolutely you would benefit from a bigger bike. If you want to get "better" then getting a bigger engine probably isn't going to help vs either a dirt bike or a track oriented smaller capacity bike.
I get that I don't need a bigger bike to learn how to ride better. It's more about wanting a more exciting engine, though I think I'm at a point where I can keep learning on a bigger bike. It's not like the SV instantly robbed me of whatever skills and confidence I've built up on the 300 until now.

I live in Stockholm. It's not a huge city but it's 1M+ and it's by far the asphaltiest part of the country so it makes sense to have a bike that's fun on pavement. There are no paved tracks nearby. There's some dirt tracks and a few enduro trails semi-locally I guess, but off-roading is illegal generally. I've used my bike for about equal parts transport and joyriding (mainly rural twisties where I can find them), though I want to go on a multi-day moto camping trip when the opportunity arises - Norway is within striking distance after all. I had a trip planned on the Honda in september but the weather forecast was abysmal so that didn't happen.
Given these things and my parking situation (I have indoor parking for exactly one motorcycle, no wider than 80 cm unless I change the door and not so heavy that I can't muscle the rear wheel around a little) a small japanese middleweight seems like the logical next step for me. I don't want fairings. In my mind it boils down to MT07 or SV650 pretty much. Haven't tried the yamaha but it felt kind of chintzy when I sat on it. Lighter though. Also kind of ugly.
I'm not ruling out getting into some form of dirt riding at some point but there's no room in the shed or the budget for multiple bikes right now.

Oibignose
Jun 30, 2007

tasty yellow beef
I think you will be absolutely fine on any of the naked middleweights like the SV650, MT-07 or Trident. I know you can learn forever on a 300 but this is meant to be a fun mode of transport.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I got my second bike after about 6000 miles on my first, which is not far off from your 9000 km. It also was a transition from a 30hp 350 to a moderately powered 650. It's not like you're jumping to a supersport after less than 1000 km as a couple of dumbass posters have done. You'll be fine.

(I kept the first bike though and they're both equally fun in different ways)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I absolutely agree that a SV or a MT-07 would be a great choice.

knox_harrington posted:

But for general purpose utility biking it's totally fine to go up to a midsize engine.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah get an sv or MT, you will be fine. I would avoid the trident on the general principles of it being a first gen model of a European brand with not a particularly great mechanical reputation.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
if you got the cash now is the time to get one. Fall is buyers market here in the nordics on used bikes. If people cant move em now they're stuck with the bike until february/march.

example:
https://www.blocket.se/annons/stockholm/suzuki_sv650x_till_hostpris/104136607

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I don't want the x model, but the price and location is right.

E: I have to go out of town for a week but after that I might get lucky.
There's this one but it's priced too high: https://www.blocket.se/annons/stockholm/suzuki_sv_650/102824835
If that dude holds firm I might as well get this one https://www.blocket.se/annons/uppsala/suzuki_sv_650__unik_fargkombo_1_agare/104666900
I don't care for any farkles other than heated grips and a luggage rack which I'll get ASAP unless already installed, but I think I read somewhere that the later models have slightly better calipers up front or something to that effect. Regardless of the truth of this it's not a dealbreaker for me, bro's older SV brakes plenty good IMO.

Invalido fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 30, 2022

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Fallen leaves are no joke. Front end started to slip coming to a stop today on some leaves. I saw them there and was at an elevated level of awareness, and was able to catch the fall before it got too far to hold it.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Agreed. One of the landscaping carts at work dropped a heap of compressed leaf a few weeks back, right dead center of the exit branch of the roundabout I hit on the way home. I've been side-eyeing it daily as it passes from being the equivalent of an oil slick to regular old dried road crust.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Leafes, gras cutting or any plant matter on the road is extremely dangerous. If also wet, consider walking. Not a joke.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I'm so annoyed.

I changed the oil in my rebel this last weekend. It was the first time I have changed the oil in any vehicle and it was pretty easy. Felt good to accomplish a regular maintenance task like that on my own.

I took the bike out today to drop off my ballot and when I got back I found a little spring on the floor of the garage. After some further review I am 99% sure it is a little spring that goes on the oil filter cover that helps hold the oil filter in place. It must have fallen out when I took the cover off before I turned it over and saw it in place. Guess I get to change the oil again now so I can put it back in there.

When I empty the oil out this time can I just pour it back in or should I do another complete oil change?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Why drain the oil? Some will leak out when you take the filter off, sure, but not all of it. Most of the oil is down in the sump at the bottom and the filter is higher up than that. According to the parts fiche (I assume you have a Rebel 300), it is on the right side, which means when the bike is on the sidestand the oil will be sloshed over to the opposite side as well. I bet not very much will come out at all.

Just put a clean pan underneath while fixing the filter, catch whatever comes out, and pour that back in afterwards.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Sagebrush posted:

Why drain the oil? Some will leak out when you take the filter off, sure, but not all of it. Most of the oil is down in the sump at the bottom and the filter is higher up than that. According to the parts fiche (I assume you have a Rebel 300), it is on the right side, which means when the bike is on the sidestand the oil will be sloshed over to the opposite side as well. I bet not very much will come out at all.

Just put a clean pan underneath while fixing the filter, catch whatever comes out, and pour that back in afterwards.

oh good to know, thanks. I figured if I took the cover off that most of the oil would spill out. I still have like half a quart of new oil left over from the change so as long as it is less than that I will just put in fresh stuff.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
tilt the bike over so the filter housing is mostly facing upward.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Had my first little kid yell that they liked my bike from a school bus today.

Also found a parking lot not filled with leaves and did some figure 8’s and emergency stops. I need to be sure I do that more often, especially since I’ve switched to my winter boots and am kinda stomping on the controls while I get used to them again.

Felt myself over-do the back brake on the first one, which is a little funny because coming from scooters I felt like I had to train myself to use it more when I first got the Harley.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
The "HEY MAN NICE BIKE!"s never stop coming around here. It is kind of fun when it's like little kids or something. Less so when it's some old dude with opinions about bike brands.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Geekboy posted:

Felt myself over-do the back brake on the first one, which is a little funny because coming from scooters I felt like I had to train myself to use it more when I first got the Harley.

I've done a bunch of brake drills recently because it's cold, wet and leafy so I figure its good practice. Not riding a harley, still on my little honda, but not overdoing the rear brake is really hard for me. When braking hard it's like I can only give it a little kiss at first to load up the front, once I get on the handle for real it feels like I can't touch it at all without triggering the ABS. I'm gonna try adjust the pedal position a bit and see if that improves the feel somewhat. Braking felt easier on bro's sv650 I had on loan for a while so I'm thinking ergos might be at least part of the problem for me.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Invalido posted:

I've done a bunch of brake drills recently because it's cold, wet and leafy so I figure its good practice. Not riding a harley, still on my little honda, but not overdoing the rear brake is really hard for me. When braking hard it's like I can only give it a little kiss at first to load up the front, once I get on the handle for real it feels like I can't touch it at all without triggering the ABS. I'm gonna try adjust the pedal position a bit and see if that improves the feel somewhat. Braking felt easier on bro's sv650 I had on loan for a while so I'm thinking ergos might be at least part of the problem for me.

Short wheelbase, soft springs = the rear will lift really easily, you won't gain much playing with the pedal because the grip fundamentally is not there. Also abs on japanese bikes is notoriously conservative, pull the fuse and try it then.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Yeah the rear brake on my MY03 is laughable. I have to lightly kiss it and then lift slightly off as all the weight transfers forward.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Slavvy posted:

Short wheelbase, soft springs = the rear will lift really easily, you won't gain much playing with the pedal because the grip fundamentally is not there. Also abs on japanese bikes is notoriously conservative, pull the fuse and try it then.

Pulling the fuse for learning is a good suggestion, but I think it will have to wait until spring unless some freakishly good weather should come my way. Streets are slick and grip is hard to predict right now and the road salt could come any day, effectively ending my season.
Thinking some more about the brake pedal on my way to work this morning it's obviously too high up for me though and I'll crank it down a bit for comfort if nothing else. But yeah, can't brake with a tire that has no grip obviously.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Try practicing using only the rear brake to help with the feel for it. I used to not use my rear except in slow, heavy traffic, but I use it a lot more now, and I've only locked it up once in the last year (when I had to emergency brake while going downhill). Obviously the front brake is where your stopping power is, and the rear is limited because of the weight transfer, but you can use it more than I would have initially thought. On my bike, anyway, but probably yours as well since likely very similar!

With regards to pedals, I have my brake pedal approximately 1" lower than I have my gear pedal (with the gear pedal being relatively high and the brake relatively low). I have the gear pedal higher to make shifting easier, and the brake lower to reduce some of the leverage into the rear, as well as make it easier and more comfortable to cover in traffic.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

The only thing I used the rear brake for was minor speed checks in traffic. I really don't think it's worth practicing and I would focus your effort on the front brake instead.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ImplicitAssembler posted:

The only thing I used the rear brake for was minor speed checks in traffic. I really don't think it's worth practicing and I would focus your effort on the front brake instead.

Wrong.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I am an equal opportunity brakist and use either or both brakes as the situation requires.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Toe Rag posted:

Try practicing using only the rear brake to help with the feel for it.

Imma do that, good suggestion. I suppose I can even practice in traffic as long as I keep the front covered in case I need stopping. I cranked the pedal down a bit, will see how it feels tomorrow morning. The forecast for the rest of the week is good, maybe I'll even see some more dry asphalt in 2022, who knows?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I panic mash without discrimination

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

A good drill is setting up cones and seeing how far it takes you to stop using only front brake, only rear brake, and both front and rear combined, without locking up (or triggering ABS). Find that point with both brakes and practice it a lot, the results may surprise you!

If you have MSF type courses nearby they may do skills practice series individual courses for cheap, where they work on something like that the whole time. I did the braking practice one recently, it was $40 and really helpful.

Invalido posted:

Imma do that, good suggestion. I suppose I can even practice in traffic as long as I keep the front covered in case I need stopping. I cranked the pedal down a bit, will see how it feels tomorrow morning. The forecast for the rest of the week is good, maybe I'll even see some more dry asphalt in 2022, who knows?
I try to practice at most stops, especially if no one is around, it keeps the boring parts of the ride more interesting.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I bought cones and still do that weekly and I live by one of the MSF courses so I actually practice in that lot. I will say practicing the limits of the front and rear with no ABS is actually pretty fun. I can slide in to a turn pretty well (in a lot) and also do stoppies using the front consistently now.

And agreed on the MSF courses (ride Oregon in my case), I did the brake one and the turn one this summer.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Invalido posted:

I cranked the pedal down a bit, will see how it feels tomorrow morning.

It felt real good, except I managed to botch such a simple job and rode to and from work with the brake light permanently lit. :master:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Invalido posted:

It felt real good, except I managed to botch such a simple job and rode to and from work with the brake light permanently lit. :master:

I melted a taillight housing when I did this accidentally once on my own bike, only took a couple of days

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I had to go take a look, it seems fine. Maybe I was saved by relatively short rides and cold weather. Man that was dumb, the switch is right there but I didn't even think about it or test that it worked. Lesson learned.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't believe that motorists pay any attention to motorcycle taillights anyway so worst case is the housing melts or the bulbs burn out, yeah.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Sagebrush posted:

I don't believe that motorists pay any attention to motorcycle taillights anyway so worst case is the housing melts or the bulbs burn out, yeah.

and here I just used store credit from STG to get a bright LED taillight for the FZ6 for more visibility

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Can't hurt. I wear ugly neon yellow gear. I'm well aware that it's probably not a big deal for my own safety but maybe it brings a small stats buff so might as well. It seems reasonable that higher visibility means at least some drivers notice us better. I'll take that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It lowers your encounter rate with women

My goldwing has the same stat buff, turns out

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Some might call it a debuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It lowers your encounter rate with women
For sure. If I weren't happily married I would probably care about not looking like poo poo while in gear. Come to thing about it, nothing about this hobby was ever about aesthetics for me. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that angle, it's just not something I personally care much about (within reason - a pretty bike is better than an ugly bike all other things being equal, obvs. Not for posing on but because I'll have to look at it all the time.)