Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Xander77 posted:

Wasn't there a scandal of some sort about the Kingdom of Loathing devs? Harassment or whatever?

Abused his wife.

http://forums.kingdomofloathing.com/vb/showthread.php?t=240165

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Runa posted:

I like the idea of it but the D&D 3.5 ruleset is kind of a nonstarter

At least it's much, much tolerable when a computer does most of the work for you but yeah, 3.5 is one of those 'all interesting choices happen outside of combat' kind of systems. Is it at least moddable enough that I can remove all the racist bullshit modifiers from the monster races?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Azran posted:

Is it at least moddable enough that I can remove all the racist bullshit modifiers from the monster races?

Say whut now 🤔?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there any correlation between race and the intelligence attribute modifier?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Bummer. Over the years I probably put $150 or so into KoL for items of the month.

DerekSmartymans posted:

Say whut now 🤔?

Rules systems that say "you are an X? Well all of you are inherently dumber than y" are kinda gross unnecessarily. You don't need it anymore imo. I understand the rationale but in the context of being alive in 2022, we don't need to write racial prescriptivism into our punchman games

big cummers ONLY fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 11, 2022

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Jack Trades posted:

Is there any correlation between race and the intelligence attribute modifier?

In 3.5 there were; half-orcs got -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma. In 5th ed, I don't think there are any negative ability modifiers, only +es.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Squiggle posted:

In 3.5 there were; half-orcs got -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma. In 5th ed, I don't think there are any negative ability modifiers, only +es.

A bonus to an attribute is just a re-contextualized malus.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

You can't even say 'oh it's just a D&Dism' or 'it's just an old-school thing' considering Gygax was a massive racist as well. I don't mind stat modifiers, but -4 to int to all the races that you are meant to murder is a bit yuck.

Edit: Even as a systems thing, racial level adjustment is an awful mechanic

Azran fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 11, 2022

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm not gonna beef with folks who don't like the modifiers but I think the bigger issue is all the writing surrounding them.

e: nvm, the mechanics are pretty messed up now that I think about it

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 11, 2022

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

I'm not gonna beef with folks who don't like the modifiers but I think the bigger issue is all the writing surrounding them.

Absolutely. I don't mind, say, Pillars of Eternity having stat modifiers because you don't get any 'Aumaua are literally incapable of creating or understanding culture'-style writing (which was still a thing for 'monster' races in 5e)

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

y'all are gonna tell me i'm losing my mind. forgive me, but i don't have time to edit this into a coherent essay.

PlushCow posted:

I CARE also I thought you could force controller support by using steam's controller settings to map keyboard/mouse stuff to your controller; I remember doing this for like my steam controller, but you should be able to do it for any controller in steams settings

you sure can map keyboard buttons to controller buttons, but that's not the same as controller support. in menus, a mouse game doesn't communicate to the interface that "equip" and "buy" are discrete buttons; they're just areas on a screen. in some cases a MKB game doesn't even work right with a touchscreen.

you can look at those patch notes for other examples of things that don't work when you originally design for keyboard. the dev had to shoehorn things in later, which just makes it harder to do. that game had "select next character" but not previous. the game runs a check that can fail before allowing you to use a controller that's inputting just fine. it should have an option to "disable unexpected hardware inputs." tons of games choke on inputs from separate devices concurrently.

a game might have camera controls on the mouse. the scroll wheel has a click and an incremental/spectrum input. the mouse has clicks and XY coordinates. this could be a nightmare to transfer to something else unless it's originally made like this:
1 any input can toggle or hold [panning or tilting or pivoting or zooming or changing camera location on the map being active] and those can all be used independently and simultaneously
2 any second input can do the variations on camera movement with incremental, analog, digital, or Xy coordinate information
3 it must be possible to bind one or many of (2) to any combination of (1)
4 it must be possible for the user to mess around with this stuff, and it must be possible for a third party to write drivers that would allow any newly invented device to mess around with this stuff

for all inputs to behave as flexibly as that sounds like a tall order, i guess.

good design doesn't expect or require a user to have any particular peripheral device. game development has, sometimes, a goal of having good interface design, but the culture doesn't pay attention to the best practices and mantras of graphic or product or general design.

a pc is not a console that has mouse and key instead of a controller. it's a pc.

sometimes devs don't want to bother with "edge cases." sometimes they don't want to bother with what's best for the hardware they're actually designing for.

the best game is euro truck simulator ii. in that game every function is discrete and individual. you could play it on a MIDI keyboard. you could write kinect drivers and voice recognition software for it. i bet tons of disabled people play it without those custom-built accessories and trained skills necessary you've seen for other kinds of games.

i alluded to PC UI design having respected best practices, but those are going away. until not long ago, i could operate almost anything on a PC without needing a mouse to be even connected. no more. even Windows is betraying me here.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

A bonus to an attribute is just a re-contextualized malus.

Well luckily they introduced an option to remove all the inherent racial +'s and you can pick your own instead. So you can add one +2 and one +1 to anything you want, but you can't stack them. Tasha's Guide to Everything fixed a whole load of issues, but that was one of the best I think.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah a few years into 5e was about the point where someone at WotC realized hard racial modifiers are kinda hosed up when you take in the context of irl racism relying on similar ideas, and also the words of gygax himself being pretty hosed up too when asked about stuff like race and alignment. Also gender but that's a different topic entirely.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The alignment system is loving cancer.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

For roleplay value I think your hosed up little guy being inherently good at X is better than all hosed up little guys in the world being good at X. They can still trend towards being good at X if they feel like it.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Yami Fenrir posted:

I love that kinda stuff. Finding semi-broken synergies and stuff is exactly my jam. Way too many games play it way too safe with that kinda stuff as far as I'm concerned, tbh.

My friend, have you ever played Rift Wizard

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1271280/Rift_Wizard/

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rift Wizard slaps.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Pwnstar posted:

For roleplay value I think your hosed up little guy being inherently good at X is better than all hosed up little guys in the world being good at X. They can still trend towards being good at X if they feel like it.

it originally had both of these
you would roll dice or point-buy or whatever to get a bunch of stats between 3 and 18 and then you would say "hm i rolled 8 int but 18 strength, but i am a half orc so with my racial modifiers it is actually 6 int and 20 strength, now i can lift boulders with my bare hands but am too stupid to learn how to read"

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Well, at least we know "Jick hates this and hates you too" is universally accurate.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

I have not, thanks for the rec

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Does it work on the deck? It says unsupported but I know that just means it's unsupported.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Oscar Wild posted:

Does it work on the deck? It says unsupported but I know that just means it's unsupported.

According to the steam forums it runs fine but the UI is small outside of windowed mode.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1451090/Tactics_Ogre_Reborn/
Ogre Battle is out.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

In much more important news, The Bible is coming to Steam.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rebel Blob posted:

oh good the only way i can read galatians is when it's wrapped up in ten minutes worth of ren'py scripting

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Speaking of saviors who we can turn to in our darkest hour:

EricFate posted:

https://investors.remedygames.com/a...-for-control-2/

Glad to see they're finally going to dip back into this series (Control). I know Remedy announced a couple things last year, but not as a true sequel.

Control 2 :slick:

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Rebel Blob posted:

Song of Solomon will just be an ordinary VN.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jerusalem posted:

If Control->Control 2 is half as good as Max Payne-> Max “The finest video game of all time” Payne 2 I can’t wait to play it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If Control->Control 2 is half as good as Max Payne-> Max “The finest video game of all time” Payne 2 I can’t wait to play it.

Hell, if Control 2 is "only" as good as Control was, I can't wait to play it!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I can only see Star Control 2 in this conversation and am disappointed that is not what people are talking about.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jerusalem posted:

Hell, if Control 2 is "only" as good as Control was, I can't wait to play it!

:yeah:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Lol I read some random book from a bookshelf a couple hours into Shadows Over Loathing and now all of a sudden my weapons break and need to be repaired, presumably for the rest of the game. Good gag

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

GrandpaPants posted:

I can only see Star Control 2 in this conversation and am disappointed that is not what people are talking about.

:emptyquote:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

If we're lucky the gameplay will consist of more than just throwing rocks and shooting a nerf gun while waiting for rock to recharge.

I was so loving sick of the gameplay by the end. Didn't help that story was garbage either. The lore and world building were fantastic but the actual story that was happening was garbage and you achieved nothing of note during the game's course.

Also I audibly groaned when they did the 4th wall breaking meta sequence because that's way overplayed and they were super late to the bandwagon on that one.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

25% of all Linux users who use Steam and have got a hardware survey are Steam Deck owners. Nice.

However it seems they're only .32% of all steam users globally

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
finally, the year of linux on desktop

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

GrandpaPants posted:

Gonna go download The Ur-Quan Masters again because of this post

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Delsaber posted:

Gonna go download The Ur-Quan Masters again because of this post

I just this year discovered that the bell instrument in the Spathi theme is literally just the Taco Bell sample from the end of their old commercials and I am never going to be able to unhear that

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Am I supposed to do the necromancer fight right away in Tactics Ogre Reborn? Because I'm getting my rear end kicked here. Lack of quick movement across the map and overall damage output of the opponent just seems nearly undoable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

GrandpaPants posted:

Same. Apparently the original developers gave up on Star Control 4 and all future sequels will be by Stardock?