Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Crab Dad posted:

I’ll always be here MEPS buddy.

probably the highlight of my service career here, goonspeed future MCPON Crab Dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

bulletsponge13 posted:

I've never celebrated Veteran's Day, and the older I get the more offensive and disgusted I find it.

I'd prefer 365 days of being ignored rather than one day where all the hypocrites, non-hackers, and moral cowards can congratulate themselves over their fake loving support 1 day a year- 2, really, because 33% of Americans have no idea what Memorial Day is.

I'm a bitter old man. https://youtu.be/bqPhIDSkYLo

I just repost the Breakfast of Champions passage every year because I'll never be able to say things as well as Vonnegut does:

quote:

I will come to a time in my backwards trip when November eleventh, accidentally my birthday, was a sacred day called Armistice Day. When I was a boy, and when Dwayne Hoover was a boy, all the people of all the nations which had fought in the First World War were silent during the eleventh minute of the eleventh hour of Armistice Day, which was the eleventh day of the eleventh month.

It was during that minute in nineteen hundred and eighteen, that millions upon millions of human beings stopped butchering one another. I have talked to old men who were on battlefields during that minute. They have told me in one way or another that the sudden silence was the Voice of God. So we still have among us some men who can remember when God spoke clearly to mankind.

Armistice Day has become Veterans' Day. Armistice Day was sacred. Veterans' Day is not.

So I will throw Veterans' Day over my shoulder. Armistice Day I will keep. I don't want to throw away any sacred things.

What else is sacred? Oh, Romeo and Juliet, for instance.

And all music is.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

RIP to the real Batman.

Kevin Conroy, Longtime Voice of Batman, Dies at 66

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/kevin-conroy-dead-batman-voice-actor-1235260222/

Loved that show growing up.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

KFC in Germany tried to do a promotion for the 84th anniversary of Kristalnacht.

All I know is that when I feel a Rommel in my tummy, I Goebbels down some KFC. Of all the Final Solutions to my hunger problem, it's Mein Kampfurt food and a Hitler with the fam!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Brute Squad posted:

RIP to the real Batman.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/kevin-conroy-dead-batman-voice-actor-1235260222/

Oh poo poo that's young.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
drat my favorite batman died. Bruce wayne too for that matter

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

drat my favorite batman died. Bruce wayne too for that matter

Yeah, he was THE Batman for my generation.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

bulletsponge13 posted:

I've never celebrated Veteran's Day, and the older I get the more offensive and disgusted I find it.

I'd prefer 365 days of being ignored rather than one day where all the hypocrites, non-hackers, and moral cowards can congratulate themselves over their fake loving support 1 day a year- 2, really, because 33% of Americans have no idea what Memorial Day is.

Its just an auto-day off for me and I try to stay home and avoid everyone. They started pushing this Veteran's Week and Month poo poo last year I'm just "really, I already take a day off because to avoid this crap, just gently caress off".

Between this and my birthday, its nice to have a couple of more holidays built into the PTO calendar.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I did the free meal thing on the first veterans day after I got back from Afghanistan because I was OK with exploiting corporate America following having a year of my early 20s wasted.

But the joke was on me all along.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
It's like the rest of the holidays for me, I'd just hide at home and not go out. Hell, I even used to hide from work holiday parties by hiding in a staircase or something.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

psydude posted:

I did the free meal thing on the first veterans day after I got back from Afghanistan because I was OK with exploiting corporate America following having a year of my early 20s wasted.

But the joke was on me all along.

Iraq here; but hell, same

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

bulletsponge13 posted:

Yeah, he was THE Batman for my generation.

The only Batman who ever actually fought crime

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Veterans Day is not something we really recognize here in NZ, but I wanted to take a moment to share a story I heard about one incredible American.
He served in the Marine Corps as an officer through many, many ops. A lot of these were never publicly acknowledged by his government, but he did his duty regardless. He was a family man, and his men were a part of that family. He fought as hard for his family as he ever did for his country, and was never afraid to take a moral stand even against what he saw as weak leadership. He chose to take a stand against the injustice of asking men to die in secret without even compensating their families.
Please remember Brigadier General Francis X Hummel.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Veterans Day is not something we really recognize here in NZ, but I wanted to take a moment to share a story I heard about one incredible American.
He served in the Marine Corps as an officer through many, many ops. A lot of these were never publicly acknowledged by his government, but he did his duty regardless. He was a family man, and his men were a part of that family. He fought as hard for his family as he ever did for his country, and was never afraid to take a moral stand even against what he saw as weak leadership. He chose to take a stand against the injustice of asking men to die in secret without even compensating their families.
Please remember Brigadier General Francis X Hummel.

:golfclap:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

Shank you for your cervix

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Who's got that "Thanks Vets" with animal doctors pictures handy?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Stultus Maximus posted:

Who's got that "Thanks Vets" with animal doctors pictures handy?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

bulletsponge13 posted:

thank you for your posting

ASAPI posted:

Besides, it is incredibly awkward when they ram in a "thank you for your service" into the conversation.

i did lol inside when my mom said to some random private in alaska. he'd left his wallet at some random scenic overlook's parking lot and she went through the effort to call up a random recruiter's office to see if they could find and call his cell. this surprisingly worked and we drove 20m back up the road to return it

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/rafaelshimunov/status/1591134043986612224?t=blIS6IoYT6iJJo-Z6eOy-g&s=19

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Brute Squad posted:

RIP to the real Batman.

Comedian Gallagher also dead, was 76.

https://www.tmz.com/2022/11/11/comedian-gallagher-dead-dies-watermelon/

This is turning into a real poo poo Veterans Day never forget.

bulletsponge13 posted:

Help me find some dog tags to wear outside my shirt when I go to get my free Applebees hoohah

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
The melon smasher was a raging chud, wasn't he?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

https://twitter.com/rafaelshimunov/status/1591135071142313984?s=20&t=IS20OpZZMAwWcvLw_WOm_g

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Isn't Twitter on the hook for this with the FTC? Insulin Goblins losing billions, I mean

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Well if only I'd thought to short them yesterday, what the absolute poo poo.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Lol, if they sue it will be early Christmas.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

Lol, if they sue it will be early Christmas.

I was just thinking that.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Gallagher was a CHUD to the maximum. Rest in piss racist watermelon smasher man.

But on the real Batman dead :(

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

bulletsponge13 posted:

Isn't Twitter on the hook for this with the FTC? Insulin Goblins losing billions, I mean

Every lawyer Eli Lilly has on staff is going to spend the next six months constructing unassailable arguments to that effect, but I suspect the answer is obviously yes.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/kevinroose/status/1591162374853382144?t=2P9Y3UGgoXKzeiFfD1Ek3w&s=19

and

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1591161346766565376?t=PKR83awND5ebrvZSuoAWUQ&s=19

loving his company *and* loving his employees, as their legal compliance department is the same as their communications department, which is

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I still have a hard time believing how loving stupid this all is

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
If Musk brings down the insulin cartels with this hes a hero in my book.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I still have a hard time believing how loving stupid this all is

My expectations were abysmal and fulfilling them would have been a masterclass in management compared to what is actually happening.

Except for how funny it is, he cleared that bar by a country mile.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
In other :sickos: news, Hawley and Rubio are apparently taking a shot at McConnell's leadership of the Senate GOP. My God if they get rid of McConnell it would be a treat for everyone to the left of Attila the Hun.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

In other :sickos: news, Hawley and Rubio are apparently taking a shot at McConnell's leadership of the Senate GOP. My God if they get rid of McConnell it would be a treat for everyone to the left of Attila the Hun.

Nice. Are we beginning to see a new GOP take shape? The infighting in their spaces is nuts.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hawley is a straight up fascist rather than McConnell's cryptfascist realism.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hawley is the one that nearly got Romney killed, right?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
McConnell is a motherfucker who will happily contribute to the death of democracy, but he's not the kind of person to pull the trigger himself. Hawley would be all too willing.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

While it would be great to see McConnel go to hell would Hawley or Rubio be better in any way? Hawley seems straight fash, Rubio a useful idiot.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Acebuckeye13 posted:

McConnell is a motherfucker who will happily contribute to the death of democracy, but he's not the kind of person to pull the trigger himself. Hawley would be all too willing.

But can Hawley keep the GOP in line as well as McConnell? That's what I'm talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

But can Hawley keep the GOP in line as well as McConnell? That's what I'm talking about.
Christ no, McConnell's the canniest operator the Senate GOP has seen in decades. Dumping him out of the leadership would be hilariously stupid and self-defeating, so of course Hawley, Rubio, et al are going to push for it.