Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016
Putin, looking in the mirror and taking a deep breath

"we have to get more fascist"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/SStapczynski/status/1591003830271238144

Lol, the EU LNG purchases are depriving people in the global south of resources. Classic European behavior.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Danann posted:

It's what they'll have in late December/early January.

and when they get 150-300k on top of that maybe they can go back on the offensive

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Atrocious Joe posted:

De-Nazification was adopted as a war goal by Putin as a concession to the communists and some nationalists, so I understood he really wasn't devoted to the goal. It's extremely funny that him and the Russian ruling class don't believe Ukraine is fascist and it's leading to them making big mistakes. Liberals are real dumb.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

speng31b posted:

yeah, but it's worth pointing that claim out specifically because it's been repeated over and over as literally true on twitter (and on these forums).

Fair enough. I'll edit that into my post.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

If I were a cynical person I would expect a wave of atrocity propaganda in the next news cycle in the English language press while the Ukrainian press celebrates liquidating traitors.

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

and when they get 150-300k on top of that maybe they can go back on the offensive

just imagine how quickly they will be able to retreat with that many more men in the field, none of which have the will, ability, or equipment to fight

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Gotta say the pictures out of Kherson so far don't look like a place where 87.05% of voters wanted to be annexed.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

If I were a cynical person I would expect a wave of atrocity propaganda in the next news cycle in the English language press while the Ukrainian press celebrates liquidating traitors.

i'm surprised they haven't already found lots of mass graves already, full of Russian collaborators that were murdered by crazed Russians in fury at having to retreat

look this one was tortured to death and has azov symbols branded all over his body, Russians must have thought he was a spy

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

It's certainly possible, although this thread will require evidence if we're going to welcome any discussion of the topic.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Gotta say the pictures out of Kherson so far don't look like a place where 87.05% of voters wanted to be annexed.

dude, i think anyone who voted to be annexed got out of there if they could because they were repeatedly threatened with death or decades in jail. i assume you're not this much of a moron about pics and videos on the bird app

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

The pro-Russian crowd left during the evacuation and any remaining left behind are going to keep their heads down low.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

speng31b posted:

dude, i think anyone who voted to be annexed got out of there because they were repeatedly threatened with death or decades in jail. i assume you're not this much of a moron

I'm sure some people fled yeah, just as people obviously fled when Russia took over, but do you really believe the annexation vote numbers were real? I don't think half the population of Kherson disappeared in the last day or anything.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I'm sure some people fled yeah, just as people obviously fled when Russia took over, but do you really believe the annexation vote numbers were real?

the numbers were definitely juiced, but your take was dumb

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Sound posted:

just imagine how quickly they will be able to retreat with that many more men in the field, none of which have the will, ability, or equipment to fight

xd

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

speng31b posted:

the numbers were definitely juiced, but your take was dumb

Juiced is a very generous word for it. Russians weren't really greeted as liberators in almost any of the new territories, but Ukrainians do seem to be when they recapture territory, and I don't think it's just that people fear the Ukrainian military more than the Russian military.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I'm sure some people fled yeah, just as people obviously fled when Russia took over, but do you really believe the annexation vote numbers were real?

Over 50% but lower than the one tallied up because pro-Ukrainian residents listening to Kyiv aren't going to vote in order to prove their loyalty which would distort the final referendum tally.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Kherson is over three quarters ethnic Ukrainian.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

AnimeIsTrash posted:

check this out

my eyes aren’t good enough to read that sorry

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Kherson is over three quarters ethnic Ukrainian.

which ethnicity in ukraine is "ethnic ukrainian"

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

oops all slavs

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

The referendum were nonsense in Kherson and Zaporizhzhia because the vast majority of the population had fled those areas by this point. They were maybe valid in the Donbass areas but even then that's after 8 years of civil war and any pro-ukraine civilians leaving the area.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

holding a referendum just behind the front lines of an ongoing, hot war seems like a really terrible way to get any useful feedback about anything, but then that probably wasn't the point. and who's gonna question the result

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

the bitcoin of weed posted:

I think it's fair to rely on the commonly-understood definition, ie: those who descend largely from what were previously known as Ruthenians, who make up the ethnic majority according to census data. However, it is important to remember that the Constitution of Ukraine specifies that "Ukrainians" refers to all of the country's citizens, regardless of ethnic background.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

the bitcoin of weed posted:

Mostly people who speak Ukrainian as a first language and identify as ethnic Ukrainians I assume. I'm not saying there's a big genetic difference between the people or anything, but obviously there has been a divide in Ukraine between people who identify as Ukrainians vs people who identify as Russians, and it's hard to believe there's a huge groundswell of support for being annexed by Russia from ethnic Ukrainians.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I'm sure some people fled yeah, just as people obviously fled when Russia took over, but do you really believe the annexation vote numbers were real? I don't think half the population of Kherson disappeared in the last day or anything.

If I voted to join Russia and were now stuck in Kherson I'd cheer my lungs out too.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
lol they should hold another referendum on leaving russia and joining ukraine

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I don't think the NO side had a very good GOTV operation.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
every war should have voting.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Homeless Friend posted:

This would be pretty funny ngl

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Juiced is a very generous word for it. Russians weren't really greeted as liberators in almost any of the new territories, but Ukrainians do seem to be when they recapture territory, and I don't think it's just that people fear the Ukrainian military more than the Russian military.

im not gonna debate about realistic enthusiastic referendum percentages with you, your take was "haha check out these happy people partying in kherson, they seem happy to be liberated" which is stupid

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Atrocious Joe posted:

I don't think the NO side had a very good GOTV operation.

the mail in ballots are arriving late

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

speng31b posted:

im not gonna debate about realistic enthusiastic referendum percentages with you, your take was "haha check out these happy people partying in kherson, they seem happy to be liberated" which is stupid

I genuinely think most of them are happy to be liberated. :shrug: I understand there could be other reasons for the population to appear enthusiastic, but like I said there haven't been a lot of similar images coming out when Russia's captured territory.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

speng31b posted:

Idk, I think there are probably a lot of pro ukrainian people who are happy to be back in the fatherland's hands. The only other people that would have stayed are people who are neutral, or couldn't flee. Who are probably doing something like this

genericnick posted:

If I voted to join Russia and were now stuck in Kherson I'd cheer my lungs out too.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Have the Ukrainians posted anything official about their losses taking Kherson?

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Homeless Friend posted:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Homeless Friend posted:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I genuinely think most of them are happy to be liberated. :shrug: I understand there could be other reasons for the population to appear enthusiastic, but like I said there haven't been a lot of similar images coming out when Russia's captured territory.

obvs its cuz unlike the nazis the russians won't execute them for showing insufficient glee at their liberation

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Homeless Friend posted: