Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Just finished all that I wanted to with the game. Great game, probably my favorite cast of characters of any of the Xenoblade games so far. Thought it was a neat way to tie together the first two games.

The soundtrack wasn't quite as good as prior games, but it was still bangin. The world was cool but it wasn't quite as impressive as the prior two installments either.

Battle was good and not too overwhelming like it felt in XB2. Glad they simplified it a bit.

Looking forward to the story DLC next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Nintendo has announced Xenoblade Chronicles 3 has sold 1.72 million copies since release.

Depending on how strong holiday sales are XC3 could be the best selling Xenoblade game after only a few months.

Very pleased to see the series doing well.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Sylvian Wastes posted:

I'm loving the fact that people are noticing Noah's mantits get really well defined and noticeable in the flash fencer outfit and the lost vanguard outfit.

Everyone has tits in the lost vanguard outfit. They're built into the top, it seems.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ytlaya posted:

Everyone has tits in the lost vanguard outfit. They're built into the top, it seems.

yeah it's the textured shading because it shares the asset with monica and her cartoonishly giant boobs. same thing with the flash fencer one.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lmao

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I'm torn between whether that or Lanz in the Troubadour outfit is the funniest outfit in the game.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Yumsmith Lanz is the best combo in the game. I put him in that the moment I unlocked it and have never taken it off, it makes any cutscene with him better.

Shame Taion can't wear the Riku hair though

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

OhFunny posted:

Nintendo has announced Xenoblade Chronicles 3 has sold 1.72 million copies since release.

Depending on how strong holiday sales are XC3 could be the best selling Xenoblade game after only a few months.

Very pleased to see the series doing well.

I picked up the first game years ago thanks to LouisGod constantly beating the drum about it. It's so wild to me that we come from Project Rainfall to even get the game to get released in another English-speaking region, to multiple characters being in Smash, and three (ish?) sequels later, to the games doing those kinds of numbers.

I love it to see it! :D

Anyway... I beat this game just before Persona 5 came out on Switch and I've been playing that since. Finally got caught back up to the thread at least. I look forward to diving into the post-game whenever the next Expansion Pass thing releases. Whenever that is...

Or when I feel like taking a break from Pokemon. Whichever of those things comes first.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Louisgod is also the reason I bought the first Xenoblade Chronicles, he was like the ultimate XC hype man lol

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I'm a simple man. All I needed to see was footage of the characters jumping off a cliff into water below, and get EXP to level up as a result of the achievement attached to that. I was sold on Xenoblade immediately when I saw that.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Louisgod is also the reason I bought the first Xenoblade Chronicles, he was like the ultimate XC hype man lol

Yeah he really did a good job promoting it back a fuckin decade ago. I dunno when I'd have heard about it otherwise.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

turn off the TV posted:

yeah it's the textured shading because it shares the asset with monica and her cartoonishly giant boobs. same thing with the flash fencer one.

It's hilarious because it suggests that their outfits were designed to make their chests look substantially larger. Even funnier because the excuse of it being armor doesn't hold up when the entire rest of the outfit is less thick, including vital organs in the gut.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
what's the best X gem to buy with 99 gold coins?

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Levitate posted:

what's the best X gem to buy with 99 gold coins?

pure damage :gibs:

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

I believe the Empowered Combo Gem has the best utility in the game.

However, the Steel Protection X gem has the worst farming requirement in the game because one of its components is not a guaranteed drop (Auxilia Exo-Armor) and can only be found in one area.

Your call, I went with Empowered Combo personally because I had the rest of the game to obtain enough coins for another Level X gem.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Critical damage is the best one, IMO. Empowered Combo is not well utilized by the AI and has no effect during chain attacks. Crit will work for everyone, all the time, even if it's not as much of a personal damage buff to your controlled character outside chains. Chain attacks are where most of your total damage is dealt anyway.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

As far as I know, the AI does not do animation cancel. On anything.
Arts during chain attacks also don't count as canceled.

So I'd go (I went) crit damage 10 over empowered combo 10 because it's useful in more situations. They're the two best damage gems by a mile so think of other gems only when you can farm endgame mats//gold coins.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

DTaeKim posted:

I believe the Empowered Combo Gem has the best utility in the game.

However, the Steel Protection X gem has the worst farming requirement in the game because one of its components is not a guaranteed drop (Auxilia Exo-Armor) and can only be found in one area.

Your call, I went with Empowered Combo personally because I had the rest of the game to obtain enough coins for another Level X gem.

Honestly finding out that Gem levels can be skipped made it easier for me to go for Steel Protection X since all you need is the common variant
I just had to save and reset a lot of times.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Omobono posted:

As far as I know, the AI does not do animation cancel. On anything.
Arts during chain attacks also don't count as canceled.

So I'd go (I went) crit damage 10 over empowered combo 10 because it's useful in more situations. They're the two best damage gems by a mile so think of other gems only when you can farm endgame mats//gold coins.

Assuming that the player character auto battle AI has the same behavior as the rest of the party then they do auto cancel, but not anything close to consistently.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
why do every gmestop around here have copies of Xenoblade 1 and 3 but i have literally never seen a copy of 2 :confused:

is 2 really bad

should i just skip 2? i played about 30% of 1 on DS

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

2 came out the least recently, technically

I liked it

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Xb1 de is recent.

Xb2 is 5 years old.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

2 is bad though, but it's also an interesting demonstration in how video games can actually cause people to develop stockholm syndrome since there are people who claim to like it

Detective Eyestorm
Jan 6, 2012
every aspect of 2 is flawed in some way

it kicks rear end and anyone who says otherwise is a coward

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I'll give 2 this: the story is good and interesting once it stops being really stupid like 75% of the way into the game.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

2 is bad though, but it's also an interesting demonstration in how video games can actually cause people to develop stockholm syndrome since there are people who claim to like it

When the combat system gets going (a good 20+ hours in, mind you) it is very flashy and has lots of numbers that make my brain happy. It's also a lot better integrated into the flow of combat as compared to chain attacks in 3. I like the concept of 3's chain attacks, but the execution takes forfuckingever and the novelty wears off quite quickly.

2 does have a lot of flaws and absolutely does not respect your time, but it has its fun moments and giant kabooms.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dirk the Average posted:

When the combat system gets going (a good 20+ hours in, mind you) it is very flashy and has lots of numbers that make my brain happy. It's also a lot better integrated into the flow of combat as compared to chain attacks in 3. I like the concept of 3's chain attacks, but the execution takes forfuckingever and the novelty wears off quite quickly.

2 does have a lot of flaws and absolutely does not respect your time, but it has its fun moments and giant kabooms.

The combat in 2 gets worse as the game goes on, though. By the end you're just chaining one art into itself because it recharges faster than the animation and there's no point in positioning or really doing anything other than just pressing the double spinning edge button and doing the same blade combos over and over before you maybe eventually do a chain attack.

I could forgive the combat being mechanically terrible if it had a cool progression system, but alas, it's also a loving gacha game.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

turn off the TV posted:

The combat in 2 gets worse as the game goes on, though. By the end you're just chaining one art into itself because it recharges faster than the animation and there's no point in positioning or really doing anything other than just pressing the double spinning edge button and doing the same blade combos over and over before you maybe eventually do a chain attack.

I could forgive the combat being mechanically terrible if it had a cool progression system, but alas, it's also a loving gacha game.

Or you could not do that.

You could even not have Rex in your party at all.

I benched his rear end about halfway through the game and controlled Nia instead. Sorry can't relate to your gripes over the sound of me punching all my enemies to death with the angry Welsh catgirl. And each time I punch something it heals the party, because Xenoblade 2 is very fun.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
2 has KOS-MOS but she is almost impossible to get.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

I liked doing the driver chain + blade chain stuff and really enjoyed it. Sure, you could spam one art over and over and over, but it was fun to trigger all the different combinations of element + smash, and the elemental combos were super fun to use.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

2 is a good game with a lot of flaws but the highest highs of the franchise. The combat doesn't respect your time and takes way too long to give you all the toys but it's by far the most fun in the series when you've got access to everything.

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit
Yeah, Xenoblade 2 has a lot of flaws, even if some of the burrs and sharp edges have been ground down with extensive patching and dlc. But if you enjoy mmo-style combat and don't mind the long time it takes to get various combat options unlocked, this game is great.

The announcer really ties it together I think, he adds a certain emphasis to the rhythm of combat.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Double Spinning Edge is way too good to ignore for me personally so yeah. If I went back to that game now I don't think I could win a single fight.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean all Xenoblade games have MMO type combat so if you don’t like that what are you doing here

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

the stories are good and there are low difficulty levels for those only interested in that.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Fusion combos were the best in XC2 because the disembodied voice of a British man would shout out the name of the combo. ICE LAUNCH! or whatever. And then he would compliment you a lot. The chain attacks in 3 would’ve been a lot better if a random person was shouting things and complimenting you.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
It really can never be understated how much of a disservice the EN voice direction does to XB2, it legitimately ruins a lot of the story's intended emotional high points. The game still could've been an amusing B-movie plot if they had leaned on the goofier parts a bit more, but that probably would have also done a disservice to the late-game plot reveals. Overall, it comes across as trying to be a more upbeat contrast to the heavier melancholy of both 1 and 3 but fumbling it in a bunch of different ways.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

2 is the worst Xenoblade but still a good JRPG.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think Xenoblade 2 is just better than 1 in every single way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

2 had crazier plot reveals and highs than either 1 or 3 I think. As someone who just last night beat 3 was a bit let down by the revelations.