Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/zhao_dashuai/status/1588742628136595456

big gun on small robo chassis :awesomelon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i am very disappointed that china has stooped to stealing designs from dahir insaat

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ed Hauck, CIA Southeast Asia Branch Chief, in August 1965

from "War of Numbers: an Intelligence Memoir of the Vietnam War's Uncounted Enemy", by Sam Adams

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Marzzle posted:

china getting in on boondoggles too means they're now an american military peer

Isnt the idea of a laser antidrone air defense system less about shooting it down with the laser and more about shining the laser into the cameras on it?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

t his looks like a Lego toy. I’m not afeared of it

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
arma3's angular toy looking stuff turned out to be spot fuckin on for everything

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/zhao_dashuai/status/1589215709359648769

:hmmyes:

Mango Press 🥭🗝 posted:

(Click thumbnail to open video)
🇨🇳 #China #Zhuhai

A very cute but deadly robot dog has been unveiled at Zhuhai. It is armed with a 7.62mm gun, but it is modular so the baggage can be swapped out according to the mission.

🥭 @mangopress
(from t.me/mangopress/10933, via tgsa)

bonus upgraded robodog

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I thought Chinese arms procurement - to this point - followed a pretty rational process of licensing Soviet and Russian designs, having them looked at by state design bureaus and built by state run industries. It seemed reasonable, even when they had issues making their own engines or electronics:

The J-11 is a Su-27

H-6 is a Tu-16

Z-7 is a AS365 Dauphin

Sometimes it got interesting, like Chinese ZTZ-96 MBTs still using the automotive design of the T-54 through the present date:

or their BMP/BMD derived designs having different proportions:

ZBD-04

ZBD-03

That all tracks for me. So, are these unproven designs and concepts for export or have they decided to discard a functional system that delivered reliable equipment in a timely manner?

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011
PLA #1

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Frosted Flake posted:

That all tracks for me. So, are these unproven designs and concepts for export or have they decided to discard a functional system that delivered reliable equipment in a timely manner?

Have they discarded it though or are they just doing something else as well? Gotta look ahead and their ability to produce new designs is outstripping Russia's pretty quickly.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Yea, none of those are their latest equipment.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

AK-47s for everyone

edit: that was GLA not PLA, I will leave up this post as a mark of shame

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I thought they were just random concepts for a show and that their traditional MIC is still plugging away on more conventional designs. I would say probably the difference now is they don't really need to fully adopt Russian/European designs at this point and can simply deliver new designs with the knowledge they already gained from reverse engineering and now decades of experience.

Also, the T-96/99 are T-72 clones, it is just unclear how much they have been modified.

The big thing the Chinese are now doing is long range exotic airborne as well as underwater drones. In particular, the aim seems to be at basically creating a radar/sonar net across the entire first island chain.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ardennes posted:

Also, the T-96/99 are T-72 clones, it is just unclear how much they have been modified.

Au contraire, Type 99 is, Type 96 is based on continuous iterative improvements that originated way back with the T-54. a bit more here, though I’d have to look for more documentation to see how much the suspension and drivetrain changed.

https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/modern/China/Type-96.php

The first-line armoured divisions in active service today within the Chinese People's Liberation Army are equipped with 2,500 Type 96 MBTs. The much upgraded Type 98/99s are in comparison only reserved to elite units of the army. The Type 96 is also a far away descendant of the soviet T-54A. The latter was adopted for mass production with the help of USSR back in 1959 and copied as the Type 59, then gradually improved over the years through the the Type 69/79 (mainly exported), the Type 80/88 (L7 derived 105 mm and brand new drivetrain) and eventually the Type 85 (that swapped the old hemispheric cast turret for a composite, welded one).

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

For the one person that seems to like to post china related poo poo in telegram.

Война и Связь 📡 Combat & Radio 📡 posted:

(Click thumbnail to open video)
Here are the costs and difficulties of working remotely with the Chinese ((
Well, they didn't hit the colour at all.
Should be much darker!
Although we gave them both a pantone palette colour number and a visual example

РАТНИК Made In China
(C) not mine
(from t.me/combatdatakam/831, via tgsa)

Some rando telegram channel posting obsessively about importing chinese made radios or setting up a local production line.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
we all know that the US Navy has the Top Gun program

less well known is the "Red Flag" exercises by the US Air Force

is there a similar program in the USMC for Marine aviators? are there similar/comparable training programs for other countries? is there like a French Top Gun?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

gradenko_2000 posted:

is there a similar program in the USMC for Marine aviators? are there similar/comparable training programs for other countries? is there like a French Top Gun?

I think USMC/Navy pilots both go to whatever TOPGUN is called now. USAF equivalent is more like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USAF_Weapons_School. Red Flag is a short exercise that all all branches and a bunch of other countries go to. It's Fort Polk for fancy pilots (Fort Polk is where most of the annual opfor training stuff happens for ground people if you youtube JRTC you can see the units that get to pretend to be redfor pwning noob troops (not actually that interesting)).

Cuttlefush has issued a correction as of 06:26 on Nov 8, 2022

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/all-the-air-combat-developments-out-of-chinas-massive-air-show

Articles are now just compilations of tweets with commentary now? :shepface:

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
lucky it's not just a twitter thread

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Danann posted:

bonus upgraded robodog

It’s going to be cool when all the rampaging killbots lead future insurgencies to watch old episodes of those weird robot combat game shows for ideas.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
worse fate than becoming a slave for the machines, forced to serve as a wedge in flesh combat

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It’s been like that for a while. There are not many military writers that aren’t staff officers or former staff officers with sleepy billets, maybe some academics for the journals, so what remains has been trimmed down to people using twitter for stories because a newsroom or magazine is not going to have a defence staff writer and I can’t imagine freelancing pays the bills.

The 3 conferences I went to this year all had twitter streams that used the official hashtags projected onto walls throughout, so even within the “Defence Community” twitter is king.

You couldn’t go a few metres without finding a screen or projection of a live feed like this in Ottawa, Halifax or DC this year.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 20:03 on Nov 9, 2022

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

not a materialist analysis.... China has devolved into a degenerate workers state

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

dunno about french top gun but I remembered this from when I was a spotty hardware nerd dumbass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cope_India

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/zhao_dashuai/status/1590326304007933954

drones carrying drones that carry drones that carry

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
somebody call xzibit and tell him that they're committing gimmick infringement

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

kill-chain

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Fully automated luxury kill-chains

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/zhao_dashuai/status/1591010941822726145

future warrior china

edit:
https://twitter.com/zhao_dashuai/status/1591023037146894338

new demining drone dropped

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
woah that mine clearing drone is the size of Seaquest DSV. just look at the ship next to it for scale

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
that account’s pretty lol

https://twitter.com/zhao_dashuai/status/1576465483423191046?s=20&t=Inh6iVkNWfy0kezePs4_nw

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/zhao_dashuai/status/1590326304007933954

drones carrying drones that carry drones that carry

hey what if we use aircraft to drop self-propelled flying machines that steer themselves to a target then explode. someone quick file a patent

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

drone ship?
the us spent so much time thinking china was zerg but they actually protoss

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm reading this book, "War of Numbers", by former CIA analyst Sam Adams, and it's the story of how he had found that MACV under Westmoreland during Vietnam had basically ignored all evidence (some of which he uncovered) that their estimates of VC/NVA strength was being undercounted by something like half-a-million men, and that when he tried to run it up the flagpole he just got stonewalled even from within the CIA itself, with Director Richard Helms himself threatening Adams to quit bringing it up.

So the Tet Offensive happens and there's a big pile of paperwork demonstrating that they knew all about the coming buildup but just didn't want to acknowledge the numbers.

Anyway, in a later chapter, Adam talks about how he got shuffled-off to the Cambodia beat after his bosses got irked with him trying to leak the pre-Tet Order-of-Battle estimates. He chances upon a memo about the Army challenging the CIA's estimates about the amount of war materiel is coming down through the Ho Chi Minh Trail. The official CIA number is 77 tons of supplies per month, which strikes him as low, and the Army is insisting that it is, and that it should be re-estimated to be higher.

Adams goes back to his old buddies working at the Africa desk to check on the Biafra insurgency, and asks them about what the supply pipeline is like for the rebels over there. His friends tell him its 150 tons per month, coming over a single dirt airfield. The comparison is, of course, ridiculous, and Adams starts writing a memo to that effect. His co-workers on the Vietnam desk try to wave him off of it, but he soldiers on, because it's The Truth, goshdarnit.

His memo comes out, and it circulates between the CIA and the Army. It's at this point that Adams finds out that the reason why there was this discrepancy, to put it mildly, is that the CIA has been trying to make it sound like all of the VC's supplies can only ever come through the Ho Chi Minh Trail, because if it doesn't, then the only other possible source of supplies would be if they were coming through Sihanoukville, Cambodia.

The Army then uses Adams's memo to bolster their case, and while certainly one memo couldn't have possible been the one thing that America's invasion of Cambodia was justified with, it did play a part.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

77 tons of supplies per month, which strikes him as low,
His friends tell him its 150 tons per month, coming over a single dirt airfield. The comparison is, of course, ridiculous, and Adams starts writing a memo to that effect.

the thing I think one needs to understand is how little 77 tons a month is. that’s like 3-4 20’ containers a month. it’s on its face a lie or falsehood.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/OedoSoldier/status/1591812389691097094

The Norinco 50-ton IFV is an export for the UAE.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Hatebag posted:

Exactly, i want it to rain robodogs

why not drop it from a stealth bomber with a parachute?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

the thing I think one needs to understand is how little 77 tons a month is. that’s like 3-4 20’ containers a month. it’s on its face a lie or falsehood.

Marxist guerillas can live on the ambient energy generated from meditating on the fact that they will be proven right in the end and there is no need to ship them ammunition as it can easily be seized from the hands of craven imperialist puppet soldiers

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

man it was after tet too. honestly I’d like to see how they came up with it in the analysis. I wanna know what lol bullshit assumptions were used.

the other thing is what’s the end goal of doing that lovely of an analysis. what purpose does fabricating that serve? especially again after tet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Война и Связь 📡 Combat & Radio 📡 posted:

⚡⚡⚡⚡

Rumor has it that the MOD did listen to our suggestions
and ordered directly from the Hytera factory in China
a lot of digital radios. The price will be, as always, exorbitant at the level of 100,000 roubles for a portable radio.

But we are still very happy and three hands in favour !

We remind you that our walkie-talkies are digitally compatible with Hytera too.
And there is also a niche for battalion commanders in the medium price category of radios for 10-20 thousand roubles
(from t.me/combatdatakam/921, via tgsa)