Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Blood Boils posted:

The characters take everything seriously (because why wouldn't they) but it's still pretty silly. I suppose it's a bit more "gritty" than most star wars, since it focuses more on the war than fantasy stuff. I think that's part of why I liked it so much, it was a nice change of pace in the franchise.

And even reshot/cut to hell it's leagues better than the sequel trilogy, like c'mon

this is how I remember it being but it's been a while since I saw it

indigi posted:

nope, it's about as bad as the Knives Out one

not nearly as bad, and I say that with a heavy heart as I'm a Rian Johnson fan, at least as far as Brick and Looper go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

the last jedi is my second favorite of the disney star wars movies because you can clearly see where rian johnson was making a good movie and then the studio was making a lovely movie and the editors fused them together into what we got. like it is blatantly obvious who was trying to what, especially when the next movie just ignored it all. at least when george lucas was making poo poo up as he went along he was enjoying himself

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this motherfucker kept pikachu un-evolved and kept a farfetch'd on his team in the finals and still won, GOAT

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

i say swears online posted:

this motherfucker kept pikachu un-evolved and kept a farfetch'd on his team in the finals and still won, GOAT

that's a sirfetch'd

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

look i ain't no champ

edit wait he's number #865? jesus gently caress i thought i was stretching it by recognizing the first 151

also his japanese name is Negigaknight hehehe

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

if you replace "pokemon" with "bourgeoisie" the Pokémon theme song is better than The Internationale

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

indigi posted:

if you replace "pokemon" with "bourgeoisie" the Pokémon theme song is better than The Internationale

I beg your pardon, comrade?

quote:

I wanna be the very best
Like no one ever was
To catch them is my real test
To train them is my cause
I will travel across the land
Searching far and wide
Teach bourgeoisie to understand
The power that's inside

(Bourgeoisie
Gotta catch 'em all) It's you and me
I know it's my destiny (Bourgeoisie)
Oh, you're my best friend
In a world we must defend (Bourgeoisie
Gotta catch 'em all) A heart so true
Our courage will pull us through
You teach me and I'll teach you
(Ooh, ooh)
Pokémon! (Gotta catch 'em all)
Gotta catch 'em all

Seems a bit too chummy for my taste.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
rip Batman

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

christmas boots posted:

I beg your pardon, comrade?

Seems a bit too chummy for my taste.

they must be caught and educated as to their privilege and why their classist rule is wrong, and brought into the working class to build a post-classist society. like Pu Yi.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

indigi posted:

that's a sirfetch'd

sirfetch'd is a loving tank, too

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

indigi posted:

they must be caught and educated as to their privilege and why their classist rule is wrong, and brought into the working class to build a post-classist society. like Pu Yi.

looking out for your “best friends” I see

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Whoever was hyping up Triangle of Sadness a couple of pages ago was so loving right. Movie slaps, what a ride

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
marc maron reposted his 2011 gallagher interview which is an absolute classic. the best part is when maron really starts blatantly pushing gallagher's buttons and he fully rises to the bait.

Marc revisits his 2011 interview with comedian Gallagher, recorded in Portland, Oregon on January 27, 2011.

also a must read:

Gallagher Is a Paranoid, Right-Wing, Watermelon-Smashing Maniac

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

lmao

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
also nthing the sympathies for kevin conroy, what an amazing person he was

DC Pride's Most Important Story Doesn't Star Costumed Heroes - But A Real Life One Instead

"In the end, however, the pain that Conroy experienced is what ultimately allowed him to "find" Batman. When asked if he could relate to a vigilante who'd formed two distinct personas to deal with unimaginable pain by Bruce Timm, Conroy drew from his own life experiences. Remembering his grief of losing his loved ones and the deep desire to find a sense of belonging before channeling a lifetime of pent-up righteous fury into the words on the script in front of him. In its closing panel, "Finding Batman" depicts the moment Conroy felt the voice of Batman for the first time, which he describes as a deep, bellowing roar born from "thirty years of frustration, confusion, denial, love, yearning..." before ending on a firm, resolute note."

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

grate deceiver posted:

Whoever was hyping up Triangle of Sadness a couple of pages ago was so loving right. Movie slaps, what a ride

you're welcome

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

it's a very C-Spam movie in content and tone

and it was so good to see in a theater with an audience

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

:sad:

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Laterite posted:

also nthing the sympathies for kevin conroy, what an amazing person he was

DC Pride's Most Important Story Doesn't Star Costumed Heroes - But A Real Life One Instead

"In the end, however, the pain that Conroy experienced is what ultimately allowed him to "find" Batman. When asked if he could relate to a vigilante who'd formed two distinct personas to deal with unimaginable pain by Bruce Timm, Conroy drew from his own life experiences. Remembering his grief of losing his loved ones and the deep desire to find a sense of belonging before channeling a lifetime of pent-up righteous fury into the words on the script in front of him. In its closing panel, "Finding Batman" depicts the moment Conroy felt the voice of Batman for the first time, which he describes as a deep, bellowing roar born from "thirty years of frustration, confusion, denial, love, yearning..." before ending on a firm, resolute note."

Gonna shamelessly steal someone else's post from the PYF comic thread of the Conroy-written comic about his journey to playing the role of Batman. As an lgbtq person who grew up on Batman TAS when I was a kid, I found it quite powerful:

flavor.flv posted:

From the new DC Pride anthology, Finding Batman, written by Kevin Conroy

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I liked it when it seemed like we could stop jawing about Stars Wars and lean into Frasier Chat. what happened.

theres like a bazillion seasons of frasier so its hard to discuss unless weve got more specific examples of episodes to watch lets see what i can remember off the top of my head

frasier and niles spend the entire episode in a parking lot because they change their mind about parking there and frasier refuses to pay the dollar fee required to leave the parking lot since they never actually parked there

this weird guy at the radio station asks frasier to get him a scott bakula signature since hes busy on the day of the star convention where hell be in town but frasier fucks it up so the weird guy teaches frasier klingon instead of hebrew completely loving up frasiers sons bar mitzfah

frasier and niles watch antiques roadshow with their dad who thinks its a game show then the antiques roadshow comes to seattle and this hideous artifact their dad brings in turns out to date from the russian royal family but frasier and niles are disappointed to learn that they descend not from royalty but from the whore who stole it

daphne brings a boyfriend to sleep overnight which ends up being insanely awkward when frasier and niles come over for breakfast the next morning

im open to watching random episodes of frasier btw just be sure to give me the episode numbers

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
i liked frasier

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

drat horror queefs posted:

Gonna shamelessly steal someone else's post from the PYF comic thread of the Conroy-written comic about his journey to playing the role of Batman. As an lgbtq person who grew up on Batman TAS when I was a kid, I found it quite powerful:

As a gay person that resonated pretty hard, yeah. What's funny is that that comic was a viginette that was part of DC's 2022 Pride issue, which featured this lovely panel

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I'm in the middle of season 2 right now and Roz and Daphne both have consistently great fits

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

like for real if youre ever annoyed the thread is discussing too much star wars just mention another thing that might be worth watching that could be finished in an afternoon or two

i actually tried to watch the first episode of the 2015 muppets show since that one goon said a nice thing about it but it was just as loving awful as everyone said it was when it was new it hits the perfect sour spot of being too stupid to work as deadpan but too straight faced to work as farce

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I finally started The Midnight Club and I'm only two episodes in but Mike Flanagan might be one of my favorite director/writers in hollywood right now

word is he really wants to do The Dark Tower and I would move heaven and earth to see that happen

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

oh wait theres a fifth episode of frasier i can remember the one where his ex tries to get back together with him and they even gently caress but then frasier finds out her behavior was prompted by the discovery of a note he wrote back when the divorce first started that she thought hed only written just recently even my dumb young self could appreciate the tenderness of the scene despite the jokes because her reaction to the note suggests their relationship and their lives could have gone very differently if shed seen it when he first wrote it

ive also got a couple of disembodied images i cant connect to larger plots theres one where frasier and his dad are arguing about the tv and when frasiers dad suggests frasier just go to the bar frasier just blows up in outrage and says "what bar? the documentary bar???" and ive always found it odd nobodys tried to make one of those just like a sports bar but with documentaries

the other one is where frasiers ex tells him shes remarrying and its another tender moment where he just admits that he wanted to be the one to move on first but is still happy that she did its then followed up with the great gag of frasiers family walking in on them hugging all horrified and asking whats going on frasier says shes getting married his dad says to who frasier says to someone else cue relief and congratulations

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Niles is a messy bitch

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
marty crane is a top 5 tv dad

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

best tv dad is major garland briggs

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

RandolphCarter posted:

A vision I had in my sleep last night - as distinguished from a dream which is mere sorting and cataloguing of the day's events by the subconscious. This was a vision, fresh and clear as a mountain stream - the mind revealing itself to itself. In my vision, I was on the veranda of a vast estate, a palazzo of some fantastic proportion. There seemed to emanate from it a light from within - this gleaming radiant marble. I had known this place. I had in fact been born and raised there. This was my first return, a reunion with the deepest wellsprings of my being. Wandering about, I was happy that the house had been immaculately maintained. There had been added a number of additional rooms, but in a way it blended so seamlessly with the original construction, one would never detect any difference. Returning to the house's grand foyer, there came a knock at the door. My son was standing there. He was happy and care-free, clearly living a life of deep harmony and joy. We embraced - a warm and loving embrace, nothing withheld. We were in this moment one. My vision ended. I awoke with a tremendous of optimism and confidence in you and your future. That was my vision; it was of you. I'm so glad to have had this opportunity to share it with you. I wish you nothing but the very best, always.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

RandolphCarter posted:

wikipedia posted:

Davis stated that he landed the role of the eloquently spoken Major Briggs when "I was living in Vancouver and doing local work. But because of my accent in the '80s I couldn't play a Canadian in commercials. So someone suggested that I get an agent in Seattle. I did and was able to get commercial work and acting jobs there. I had a good resume. So when they were casting the Twin Peaks pilot my agent sent me out to the audition. I met series creator David Lynch and didn't actually read for him—we just visited. ... David liked me and started writing for me. He liked the chemistry I had with other players. I did three days on the pilot and then went on to the series. That was the luckiest break I could have had. There are at least a dozen people from that show who are lifelong friends because of that show. It was a life-changing experience."

its so good he essentially reprised the role in X files (as Scully's dad) and stargate

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Some Guy TT posted:

the other one is where frasiers ex tells him shes remarrying and its another tender moment where he just admits that he wanted to be the one to move on first but is still happy that she did its then followed up with the great gag of frasiers family walking in on them hugging all horrified and asking whats going on frasier says shes getting married his dad says to who frasier says to someone else cue relief and congratulations

Frasier and Lilith growing more loving and supportive of each other over time while separately working through the divorce is one of my favorite things about Frasier. (Which is my favorite show.)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Antonymous posted:

its so good he essentially reprised the role in X files (as Scully's dad) and stargate

It's my opinion these are all the same character.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

same

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

A vision I had in my sleep last night - as distinguished from a dream which is mere sorting and cataloguing of the day's events by the subconscious. This was a vision, fresh and clear as a mountain stream - the mind revealing itself to itself. In my vision, I was on the veranda of a vast estate, a palazzo of some fantastic proportion. There seemed to emanate from it a light from within - this gleaming radiant marble. I had known this place. I had in fact been born and raised there. This was my first return, a reunion with the deepest wellsprings of my being. Wandering about, I was happy that the house had been immaculately maintained. There had been added a number of additional rooms, but in a way it blended so seamlessly with the original construction, one would never detect any difference. Returning to the house's grand foyer, there came a knock at the door. My son was standing there. He was happy and care-free, clearly living a life of deep harmony and joy. We embraced - a warm and loving embrace, nothing withheld. We were in this moment one. My vision ended. I awoke with a tremendous of optimism and confidence in you and your future. That was my vision; it was of you. I'm so glad to have had this opportunity to share it with you. I wish you nothing but the very best, always.

this is what I was thinking about when I made my claim.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Garland Briggs: Father of Dana Ashby's Bobby Briggs, Airforce Officer, studying UFOs and the paranormal, appears in a vision after his death

William Scully: Father of Gillian Anderson's Dana Scully, US Navy Captain, appears in a vision after his death

George Hammond: Airforce LT General, Studying UFOs and the paranormal, appears in a vision after his death (according to a wiki)

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
just watched the Weird Al movie, the first half is one of the most self aware, brilliant comedies I've ever seen. The second half starts lagging a bit but picks up once Madonna gets kidnapped and finishes pretty good, but the best parts are definitely in the first half.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i liked it. funny that they put Elvira in there with all the other characters but they did it with her out of character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Best Friends posted:

rogue one establishing that hyperdrive speed from anywhere to anywhere is a couple minutes max really raises the question of what is even the point of capital ships.

But that’s way down on the list of questions raised by nu Star Wars. up top is: why does any of this star warring matter at all if even under the ‘good guys’ pre and post empire the median galactic citizen is a slave miner on the arid planet of Fuckshit IV. prequels on are deep in the end of history mindset where material conditions are unchangable, all that matters is how nice and polite the ruling class is.
That's because it's Science Fantasy.

This is like asking if a peasant is better off under Mordred or King Arthur. In a divine monarchy a kings qualities extend to the kingdom. Thos is explicit in star wars with the Force.

Simply in put the dirt farmers are better off because now they have good vibes