Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I do trust Bex yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Zmej posted:

I remember crafting with fossils felt so incredible before harvest, especially using them to block mods. now with the state of harvest we've come full circle lol

I hope GGG sees how much people loved recombinators, and it seemed fairly reasonable and balanced since your item could brick at anytime. I think the people doing expensive shenanigans with oils and corrupted amulets scared ggg too much unfortunately
https://twitter.com/bexsayswords/status/1591204449292521472?t=C-bDW094M7bkyAevb_PjsQ&s=19
I trust u bex, I know you won't let me down :unsmith:

Isn't this the same poo poo they've done the last couple leagues? Say "we're working on cool stuff!" then when previews roll around only talk about the good stuff and fail to mention all the nerfs?

Maybe it's just the reddit cynicism getting to me but my faith in GGG is at an all time low.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Yeah that's the vaguest of promises too, we're "working on" all this "cool stuff". Sure yeah I'm working on all sorts of cool stuff too.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Supercharging myself with a copium tank like Bane in advance

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

MerrMan posted:

Isn't this the same poo poo they've done the last couple leagues? Say "we're working on cool stuff!" then when previews roll around only talk about the good stuff and fail to mention all the nerfs?

Maybe it's just the reddit cynicism getting to me but my faith in GGG is at an all time low.

Since I've started playing this game they've had two leagues with big nerfs, 3.15 and 3.19. After 3.15 it took a whooping three months to get player power far beyond 3.13 levels. I'm not sure where all the nerfs these last couple leagues are coming from

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Papercut posted:

Yeah that's the vaguest of promises too, we're "working on" all this "cool stuff". Sure yeah I'm working on all sorts of cool stuff too.

they're working on poe mobile, poe 2, and 3.2, ruthless (lol, even if this is great I'm going to make fun of it), and possibly another project or two

that's actually a lot of cool stuff in the pipe and I include poe mobile in that insofar as word remains that that is just pc poe except on a phone with no mobile monetization bullshit whatsoever

what I'm saying is

Larry Parrish posted:

Supercharging myself with a copium tank like Bane in advance

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
GGG should heed the lesson learned from every other game company ever and just never talk about their dev process and decisions ever.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

poemdexter posted:

GGG should heed the lesson learned from every other game company ever and just never talk about their dev process and decisions ever.

They kind of have to. It's hard to generate player retention for a purely PVE game that doesn't release new raids.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
other devs just make a singleplayer game if they don't want to deal with that part of things. which they did, but it's online only for some reason

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I'm sure they thought the stuff they did this league was cool too

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
I sincerely, legitimately, hope they learned something from 3.19 and their profit loss therein and I hope all these manifestos are "it's okay if people beat our hard content" ones.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nephrite posted:

I sincerely, legitimately, hope they learned something from 3.19 and their profit loss therein and I hope all these manifestos are "it's okay if people beat our hard content" ones.

i would like them to stop balancing the end game in such a way that it impacts the early and midgame, anyway. like when they add mod tiers and shuffle stuff between the passive tree and gear or w.e., it's not often a direct nerf and sometimes its technically a buff, like what Wuxi was talking about. but for noobs like me it's just a straight nerf and feels bad lol.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I just hope it doesnt involve making act 3 harder

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

I think hard content has its place in PoE, but them making it baseline just isn't working very well. I'd personally like to see arch-nemesis be nerfed baseline (less HP, do less damage, less mods idk), bring back Valley of Darkness, and then make a new "Shadow of Death" keystone or whatever that amps archnemesis mods back up to their pre-nerf state but also makes them worth extra loot. Then maybe put them on a small wheel that gives archnemesis mods a higher chance to spawn with harder but more rewards like x-touched, etc.

Make it so basic Path of Exile is for average players, these new keystones are for people who want to push difficulty and gear as high as it goes, and then ruthless is there if you want to suffer at all times!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

boredsatellite posted:

I just hope it doesnt involve making act 3 harder

"gently caress it, we're gonna replace the Piety fight with Shaper"

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
If this season had the node to give mobs and extra modifier, I would have gone straight for it as the very first thing.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

thanks, had missed that announcement.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Larry Parrish posted:

i would like them to stop balancing the end game in such a way that it impacts the early and midgame, anyway. like when they add mod tiers and shuffle stuff between the passive tree and gear or w.e., it's not often a direct nerf and sometimes its technically a buff, like what Wuxi was talking about. but for noobs like me it's just a straight nerf and feels bad lol.

It's kind if hard to do that though? And while I think some tweaking/buffing is needed, stuff like the minion change was probably needed.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they could simply not gently caress around with the top end by adjusting things in that way, I think. especially because this delicate balancing act always gets thrown off by whatever new thing they just added anyway. from my perspective it's just some rear end in a top hat hammering and sawing on the roof all day and it's my problem if the sawdust rains on me, if that makes sense.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

In the end poe is actually trickle down economics so loving too much with the high end stuff ends up hurting everyone

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

So I've never played a templar before and I'm trying to map out a possible self-cast Inquis for next league but I'm clueless on how they usually build defenses. Determination seems good? Beyond that tho idk. So far, helmet, amulet, and gloves are already locked in, so defenses gotta come from elsewhere. The tree will of course be mostly top-half with probably some pathing down to Iron Will as well. Ascendancy is also gonna be the typical Pious Path/Inevitable Judgement combo.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Meeko posted:

I think hard content has its place in PoE, but them making it baseline just isn't working very well. I'd personally like to see arch-nemesis be nerfed baseline (less HP, do less damage, less mods idk), bring back Valley of Darkness, and then make a new "Shadow of Death" keystone or whatever that amps archnemesis mods back up to their pre-nerf state but also makes them worth extra loot. Then maybe put them on a small wheel that gives archnemesis mods a higher chance to spawn with harder but more rewards like x-touched, etc.

Make it so basic Path of Exile is for average players, these new keystones are for people who want to push difficulty and gear as high as it goes, and then ruthless is there if you want to suffer at all times!

Yeah I thought it was weird that they made the valley of darkness passive the default state of things, PoE is a great game precisely because so much of the difficulty and pain is self-inflicted and optional like rolling maps and you can see the progression of your character happen as you can start adding on more and more modifiers and pushing limits for potentially higher rewards and is half of why making characters is so good in this game because one character would run into a brickwall with one thing and another character would be able to sleepwalk through it or actually turn the negatives into a positive modifier.

If you want to just run T1 white maps for 100 hours you can do that, if you want to run T18 8 mod 100% delirious maps with full sextants and scarabs and extra crit taken -max res x3 physical taken as extra elements and temporal chains curse you can do that too.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Traitorous Leopard posted:

So I've never played a templar before and I'm trying to map out a possible self-cast Inquis for next league but I'm clueless on how they usually build defenses. Determination seems good? Beyond that tho idk. So far, helmet, amulet, and gloves are already locked in, so defenses gotta come from elsewhere. The tree will of course be mostly top-half with probably some pathing down to Iron Will as well. Ascendancy is also gonna be the typical Pious Path/Inevitable Judgement combo.

Think you can fit block in?

Regen is obvious, armor scaling comes pretty easy too with the phys damage reduction to es keystone (divine something?), as always jamming as many auras in as you can is a good strat

Definitely get yourself enough to be curse immune with the lingering consecrated ground buff

Pushing max res will be good too

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Hybrid life/ES + Determination + Discipline (if you can fit it) + Divine Shield + your amped-up Consecrated Ground = Oodles of recovery. Getting reduced effect of curses from either upgraded Yugul pantheon or Armor/ES mastery + a little bit elsewhere makes you curse immune (your Consecrated Ground gives you 75% reduced effect). Anointed Flesh wheel + upgraded Brine King pantheon makes you freeze and chill immune, shock immune you can try to get the rest from gear (or just use a flask) and ignite duration I'd be inclined to ignore because you have lots of regen. With a recover %life or %ES shield I'd look at getting block capped with Glancing Blows, as you should have enough recovery to mitigate the downside.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Thanks for the suggestions y'all. I didn't even know Divine Shield existed lol. And I had kinda ignored block from the start since I just assumed that was mostly Aegis Aurora territory? And I won't be near rich enough for that until later in the league. But if it's still worth investment with a more reasonable shield it's worth consideration!

I was also considering max res as a later option with melding since the Kaltenhalt shield gives 5 max cold on top of a loooot of extra damage for my build with the phys as extra cold.

Also also I've never played a character that was curse immune before. Seems good.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Block is super strong already. Aegis just took it into absurd territories, especially when it was paired with unnerfed melding.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
block is probably the single best defensive layer in the game, aegis or no, at least until you can suppress melee hits

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

How is block super strong unless your class is setup for blocking or you have an aegis? Its so much investment for so little gain.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I think it's fair to say both that block is the strongest defensive layer (because you take no damage from blocked hits) but also that the investment can be too high to make it worth it on any given build. Like, strongest doesn't have to mean strongest given x passives/affixes invested.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
To me, it is strong because it's worth giving up more to get high block whereas you wouldn't necessarily give the same amount for a different defensive layer.

It doesn't fit in every build of course but it's worth trying to squeeze in if you can.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I'm looking at this build and it looks fun. Never done an ascendant or stat stacking before, and it uses some fun gems. looks like a pretty good league starter. Kind of like a cold version of the old ngamahu cyclone build which I played before and enjoyed. Anyone done icestorm before?

Really hope 3.20 is an apology league, as bad as the Vision is, it's still at base a really good arpg.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Wuxi posted:

How is block super strong unless your class is setup for blocking or you have an aegis? Its so much investment for so little gain.

i specifically did not say it's strong without investment

also there's way more spell block around now than there was last time block was popular and perceptions of it have not updated accordingly, imo. with investment it's bar none the best defensive mechanic in the game with nothing else even coming close.

btw in trade league last league 5% life gain on block synth implicit shields were like 20c

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 13, 2022

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

The main problem with block these days is it's an alternative avoidance layer to evasion. Even though block with LGOB is very powerful, evasion is way cheaper to get on most builds. You also always want spell suppression to avoid one shots, so spell block has become a more supplemental defense.

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I'm looking at this build and it looks fun. Never done an ascendant or stat stacking before, and it uses some fun gems. looks like a pretty good league starter. Kind of like a cold version of the old ngamahu cyclone build which I played before and enjoyed. Anyone done icestorm before?

Really hope 3.20 is an apology league, as bad as the Vision is, it's still at base a really good arpg.

I would not start CI or stat stacker without knowing exactly what you're doing, and the budget version doesn't look all that cheap (many div watcher's eye, synth belt, and a pair of one of the more expensive versions of split personality).

The build also does not seem well made with absolutely abysmal choices in flasks and I'm not at all convinced about inq+occ Ascendant for it. Trickster, Occ, and Inq all seem way better.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I like evasion and use it preferentially over armor on probably 80% of the builds I play but it does not remotely compare to block and does not do remotely the same thing as block for a build. At least not until you have really high evasion like at least 25k+

as an aside, i hate determination, aegis, and granite flaks and I hate how 'make x build tanky' these days usually just means adding those things to it

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 13, 2022

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I like evasion and use it preferentially over armor on probably 80% of the builds I play but it does not remotely compare to block and does not do remotely the same thing as block for a build.

Block and evasion heavily overlap and are in direct competition as sources of EHP good against multiple hits that don't help mitigate against one shots. Block is better against many small hits with LGOH, and evasion is better against bigger hits that don't one-shot because it is PRNG.

A build with fantastic block and fantastic evasion but low health and mitigation will eventually get one shot by an attack.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I'd rather have block against big hits, too though. bossing with block feels way better than bossing with evasion

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I'd rather have block against big hits, too though

Roll badly twice in a row and you're dead when evasion wouldn't be.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
btw with tempest shield, rainbowstrides and one block wheel/mastery you can get low 60s % spell block, which is a wild amount of defense for not much investment

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Roll badly twice in a row and you're dead when evasion wouldn't be.

that's a 1/16 roll

The selling point to me is surviving 75% of one shots

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 13, 2022

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Very true, Evasion is almost always far superior to block since its not random.

Right now the best defensive layers are Armour > Spell Suppression > Evasion > Max res > the rest. This obviously can change depending on your ascendancy/build/budget (Block is a lot better on Necro/Guardian, even if you still wouldn't run it without Armour and Spell Suppression, Max res gets way better once you have the budget for a strong Melding build or for bossing where you can focus on a single resistance, Evasion gets better on Trickster, etc).
Block has always had the problem of not actually giving you any damage mitigation. If you go splat all the time getting 75/75 block will still reduce how often you die, but it will never fix it, but its a great tertiary layer of defense, if your mitigation is already sorted.

That said Block is really really good in EDelve since Remnant of Eternity single-handedly makes getting high block values so much easier. Also getting Spell Suppression cap on a right side build is basically impossible, which makes easy access to capped Spell Block even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

that's a 1/16 roll

1/16 chance of dying is terrible! If you want to live, don't roll death dice when you don't have to!

quote:

The selling point to me is surviving 75% of one shots

Evasion does that too...