Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
more like failiban

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

AnimeIsTrash posted:

:pwn:

The taliban castrated Dr. Najibullah and his brother, and dragged their bodies around the city. They should have been crushed by the Saurites.

Like all pre-modern conceptions of justice, there are extremes of laxity or severity that don’t make sense. Spectacular public execution and gruesome torture, say blinding, go hand in hand with slaps on the wrist and arranging a marriage.

Nobility and savagery spring from the same thing, different conceptions of social order and justice.

I mean, within these societies there are consistent rules of crime and punishment, shame, honour, the severity of transgression, but as they’re culturally specific they make no sense to us, it’s not like reading the criminal code.

So, when we talk about Afghans and Pashtunwali remember that there are things that are from our perspective cruel, arbitrary, unjust. It’s just that justice is whatever a society agrees upon as just, that’s how the most basic form of justice, vendetta, is avoided. Headhunters in Borneo had a code of justice that was understood and recognized, and therefore just to people living under it, but it seems almost incomprehensible to us because it sprang our of specific social conditions.

The replacement of local, culturally specific, forms of justice was the project of the 18th and 19th century empires, and was never truly solved. India entered independence with a mixed corpus of English, Hindu and Muslim law, for example. Creating universally recognized standards is incredibly difficult because it requires some cultural basis. The hope of imperial societies, or you could say the Soviet one as well, was to create some level of shared culture that allowed these institutions to be accepted and therefore the laws to “feel” just.

“How do you resolve disputes between and within groups” is a problem older than civilization itself, a struggle to restrain humanity red in tooth and claw, but it starts with finding a shared idea of legitimate authority and some way to gratify both parties in order to prevent vendetta.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

what is happening

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

speng31b posted:

what is happening

this thread wants to have sex with the taliban OP

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

NeatHeteroDude posted:

You gotta hand it to the taliban

You really do, after 20 years of US failure they finally brought a legitimate government to Afghanistan.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
a questionable desire

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Afghanistan specifically has had outbreaks of organized or disorganized violence throughout its recorded history. Any authority that stops that - at the village level theft of women and livestock - will be considered “just” in the absence of alternatives.

This is covered more thoroughly in The Other Side of the Mountain and Out of the Mountains: The Coming Age of the Urban Guerrilla, but the Taliban are considered impartial judges, mediators and administers of justice because the alternatives seemed worse or culturally alien, because Islam is recognized across tribal and ethnic groups, and because they were believed to be less corrupt and more trustworthy than their competitors.

That doesn’t mean they were right in a universal sense, but they provided a form of address for things like a stolen sheep, the use of a well, a disputed pasture.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lostconfused posted:

You really do, after 20 years of US failure they finally brought a legitimate government to Afghanistan.

(gets halfway out of chair while raising hand to speak, pauses to think, sits back down again)

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

i can't believe people would post in support of the taliban on this, the second holiest of us troop days

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
You do not gotta hand it to ISIS

The taliban though...

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
My grandfather died in teh holocaust... he fell out the kindergarten!!

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Homeless Friend posted:

lol they should hold another referendum on leaving russia and joining ukraine

Homeless Friend posted:

every war should have voting.

:hmmyes:

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

haraam

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1591088538648735744

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

What the Taliban did that we didn’t - understandably because it’s across a material and cultural chasm - was go out and figure out how many sheep from one village would be permitted to graze in a certain pasture and how they would pay the owners of that pasture for it.

This is the sort of thing that could have led to lifestock theft, kidnapping and murder, followed by a cycle of vendetta, without their intervention.

It’s silly and un relatable to us, particularly if that meant sitting down for tea for days, but in the daily lives of the people involved was incredibly important, and so providing a way to sort that out - just like we’d look at property and grazing rights and then call bylaw or conservation officers or the RCMP or whoever to resolve breaches in it - that meant they were the trusted authority.

That’s the problem, right? How the gently caress were we supposed to take on mediating disputes we have no frame of reference for and thereby provide proof that we were a form of justice anyone could turn to with their problems?

When you read about feudal law, and peasants being permitted to have twelve pigs in the county forrest eating acorns from the Feast of Saint So-and-So to the First Day of Advent, things like that, it seems ridiculous, but that’s the basis of a society. To provide an alternative to the Taliban we needed to prove we could regulate things like that. Without being culturally informed of the body of tribal law it was that much harder, just like English Common Law seems universal to Anglos but not to people from a different cultural context.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 02:48 on Nov 12, 2022

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Hey hey HEY now. This thread only has bedroom eyes for Putin. Make your own gd "gay for Taliban" thread if you want.:colbert:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

this thread wants to have sex drink tea with the taliban OP

That was such a gimme 16bit. You've gotten lazy.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

speng31b posted:

what is happening

russia lost it just hasnt realized it yet

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

redneck nazgul posted:

i can't believe people would post in support of the taliban on this, the second holiest of us troop days

There's a holier day???

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Anyone praising Afghan reactionaries is getting sent to the gulag when the Soviet Union comes back.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

I'd have tea with the taliban but I'm a double shot mocha frappe lattechino type of guy xD

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

NeatHeteroDude posted:

There's a holier day???

how about the fourth of july, you godless unamerican commie fascist tankie :911:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

memorial day is the holier troop day for sure, most of us don't even get veteran's day off to barbecue

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Anyone praising Afghan reactionaries is getting sent to the gulag when the Soviet Union comes back.

Maybe the Soviets should have stuck around to prevent widespread violence and chaos then eh?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

memorial day is the holier troop day for sure, most of us don't even get veteran's day off to barbecue

can you get a free irresistabowl at applebees or a free off the rafters leaping somersault into the golden corral chocolate wonderfall on memorial day?

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

redneck nazgul posted:

how about the fourth of july, you godless unamerican commie fascist tankie :911:

Sounds like there are THREE holy days but because I love them all I don't try to rank one above the others

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

the Orthodox Church hasn’t had that ability in Ukraine in hundreds of years, at least above the neighbour, maybe village level. Moreover the Galicians being Catholic, have been outside of that for I don’t know how long, and their formal dispute resolution systems and traditions were created under Polish-Lithuanian and Austro-Hungarian rule.

The only universally recognized authority and dispute resolution system that encompassed east and west, Catholic and Orthodox, across languages and “ethnicities”, however we want to define that, was created under the USSR.

Obviously that’s not going to be turned to here.

So, we don’t know how the Ukrainians will reincorporate citizens after a fracture in society,

patriarcha vore papa ☦️👴 🤤 🇻🇦👴

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Majorian posted:

Hey hey HEY now. This thread only has bedroom eyes for Putin. Make your own gd "gay for Taliban" thread if you want.:colbert:

Gay for Tay-liban

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

redneck nazgul posted:

can you get a free irresistabowl at applebees or a free off the rafters leaping somersault into the golden corral chocolate wonderfall on memorial day?

Yeah, Applebees is free today

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

Yeah, Applebees is free today

thank you for your service :canada:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

OhFunny posted:

That was such a gimme 16bit. You've gotten lazy.

tea is for libs

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Lostconfused posted:

o7

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

you can’t spell taliban without lib

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Gay for Tay-liban

I'm so tempted to make this the thread title but I don't want to create confusion.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

thank you for your service :canada:

Ich Dien

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Majorian posted:

I'm so tempted to make this the thread title but I don't want to create confusion.

rename cspam to it

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Majorian posted:

I don't want to create confusion.

why not, confusion is rad

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

rename cspam to it

Ooooh! I'll pass that along to the admins, I like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Political cartoonist is the laziest loving job, I swear to god