Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/JasozzGames/status/1590806408026431488

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Bad news, Jabroni Brawl Ep 3 is out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn_KnbmisQo
https://store.steampowered.com/app/869480/Jabroni_Brawl_Episode_3/

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I've never heard of this, but based on that video I am getting serious nostalgia for my days of playing HL1 deathmatch with every random mod I could get my hands on.

Rocket Crowbar was probably my favourite overall.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

oh my god it's so good

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Guy's got a decent sense of humor which makes sense after playing the game

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There's a really funny secret in level 7, the back of one of the trucks is absolutely full with wooden crates. If you chop, kick, our shot through enough of them to get to the back your reward is... a single armor plate.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Mordja posted:

oh my god it's so good

Make a thread I need more snake vs monkey

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

aw i need HL2 EP2 to play this :c

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

verbal enema posted:

It's 8 dollars right now.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
And presumably EP2 will be US$1.50 during the next (22 NOV) Steam sale if you're feeling particularly frugal.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

It's 8 dollars right now.

Lol I'm a broke bitch

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
Knee-Deep in KDiZD is now released after 15 years of development. No, none of that was a typo.

quote:

Welcome back to 2008, everyone! Knee-Deep in KDiZD is here, appearing courtesy of The History Channel. That’s right, it’s 2007’s Knee-Deep in ZDoom, now upgraded for vanilla Doom2.exe.

If you’re not familiar with the original KDiZD, that’s okay! (After all, it has been… wow, 15 years?) You can think of KDiKDiZD as a Doom E1 remake with larger maps and a combined focus on atmosphere, exploration, and tougher combat. KDiKDiZD is also packed full of weird mapping tricks and some really dumb jokes.

KDiKDiZD has been primarily tested in Eternity Engine, DSDA-Doom, Chocolate Doom, and Doom2 1.9, but it will probably work in any Boom-derived or vanilla-like port of your choice. It doesn’t work in (G)ZDoom, and it also doesn’t work with true-color rendering.
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/132407-knee-deep-in-kdizd-released-its-kdizd-for-doom2exe/

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

verbal enema posted:

Lol I'm a broke bitch

PM me your steam name. Or if you don't have PMs die I guess. I'm kidding just post it here and I'll gift it to you. Episode Two totally rules anyway and it's worth playing.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Baron von Eevl posted:

There's a really funny secret in level 7, the back of one of the trucks is absolutely full with wooden crates. If you chop, kick, our shot through enough of them to get to the back your reward is... a single armor plate.

I keep forgetting to skip that one because even in hard it's really not worth bothering with. I'm not skipping any secrets at this point and I'm running it with no sequence breaks and such probably a little under 2 hours. There's a good chance this will replace HL or OP4 as my go to fps to do a run through when the internet craps out or even just because. I think I ran it two or three times yesterday alone.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Rocket Pan posted:

Knee-Deep in KDiZD is now released after 15 years of development. No, none of that was a typo.

No way is KDiZD 15 years old. No. I refuse

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

david_a posted:

No way is KDiZD 15 years old. No. I refuse

Very appropriate reaction for the thread!

SparkTR
May 6, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I was playing through Max Payne 1 and 2 on my Series X when they went up on back compat and I couldn't believe how difficult I found them, particularly MP2. I used to absolutely breeze through them on PC

The difference is the KB/M. I've replayed a number of console shooters I used to find frustrating as gently caress back in day, but now emulated with mouse controls on PC. This includes Medal of Honor and Perfect Dark. I found them easy with a bit of challenge here and there, but never frustrating.

The truth is console shooters prior to CoD4 controlled like rear end, 50% of the challenge came from wrestling the controls.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 22 minutes!

verbal enema posted:

y ou should own it already :blastu:

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Rocket Pan posted:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/132407-knee-deep-in-kdizd-released-its-kdizd-for-doom2exe/
Oh wow, this is by the Back to Saturn X main dev. Nice!

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones
Fun Fact, The right half of kdizd's Z1M7 is based on a map by me back in 2000, it is also used in the upcoming Realm of Chaos 2, partially used in AV map24 (2nd release) and now kdikdizd. Outside the Iwads I don't think a map has been recycled so many times.

The work that went into kdikdizd is really impressive but also hilarious that it wont work in zdoom.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/buddyretardbot/status/1590924111840104448?t=x9fEnSYBZtqLW3ZugPD3JA&s=19

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

in terms of FPS i've played this year, my ranking is: fashion police squad > ADACA > shadow warrior 3 > forgive me father. but for being in last place i still liked it

I was going to ask about ADACA. I heard good things about it if you search for a HL-like experience.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ADACA is pretty sweet, if you can deal with the low-poly no-texture look. It has the fun of the gravity gun from HL2 just on your left arm, it has an appropriately Half Lifey campaign where you go on a journey, but with Halo's weaponry so you can puncture people full of Needler needles. It also has a separate but even meatier side mode that is open world and inspired by STALKER. I got it in an itch.io queer games bundle and it was one of the top games in it.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

SparkTR posted:

The difference is the KB/M. I've replayed a number of console shooters I used to find frustrating as gently caress back in day, but now emulated with mouse controls on PC. This includes Medal of Honor and Perfect Dark. I found them easy with a bit of challenge here and there, but never frustrating.

The truth is console shooters prior to CoD4 controlled like rear end, 50% of the challenge came from wrestling the controls.

Yeah there were sections of MP1 that were fuckers with a controller, like the hallway at the start of the skyscraper mission where enemies you can't see one-shot you with grenade launchers.

Moh Frontline was another game that was so much less of a hassle on emulator with M+K.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Turin Turambar posted:

I was going to ask about ADACA. I heard good things about it if you search for a HL-like experience.

Adaca is my favorite game this year next to Cultic. It's fabulous.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Szymanski posted:

The work that went into kdikdizd is really impressive but also hilarious that it wont work in zdoom.
The punchline!

I don’t remember why (probably to troll Rocket Pan) but I did an experimental mod for GZDoom a while back to (imperfectly due to physics differences) reimplement the weird overflow trick being exploited in KDIKDIZD. When I get back to my files I’ll see whether it works well enough for this towering meshing of Mad Science.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/TafferKing451/status/1591574857510453248?s=20&t=hp-vnZpGlbR54r4mekDv2g

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
They Came From Dimension X got an update. It now runs better, though not well, and has saving, although loading saves doesn’t work. I really want to like this, but drat is it rough.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I kinda don't like ADACA. It's fine, I guess.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

A.o.D. posted:

I kinda don't like ADACA. It's fine, I guess.

ADACA didn’t really grab me off the bat. Did the first bit, got to a town, im being shot at by a helicopter. Decided this was not what I liked about Half Life and put it down for a while

Maybe it’s a grower idk.

I picked up Cultic and…Might be cool? Gameplay strikes me as a bit finicky, the cultists have some dead eye aim at range and it’s hard to hit back if you run out of rifle ammo. The shotgun didn’t impress me right away either. The presentation & atmosphere is really good, looks fantastic.

Where is Gloomwood at these days? I played a short demo a while back, is there any more than that yet?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

skasion posted:

The shotgun didn’t impress me right away either.
Yeah, I finally got around to starting Cultic and the shotgun feels really anemic, especially compared to the rifle and pistol which are both fantastic. Is this a wait for upgrades thing?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, I finally got around to starting Cultic and the shotgun feels really anemic, especially compared to the rifle and pistol which are both fantastic. Is this a wait for upgrades thing?

With the shotgun, absolutely. Fully powered up it's a beast and made mincemeat of the final boss (after a healthy session with the flamethrower)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Shotgun and Pistol both really want the accuracy upgrades they can get, with the latter you'll quickly get into the 2-3 headshots cycle that'll kill most human sized/shaped enemies in the game, indeed in general outside of very close range with the shotgun(particularly if you're using both barrels) you want to do headshots as much as possible with any weapon that isn't explosive or fire based, even the shotgun and sten work better with headshots than bodyshots

Also learn the quirks of dynamite, the game gives you a lot of it, similarly take advantage of all the lamps lying around for free kills

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, the shotgun benefits from upgrades but if you can get in the headshot groove with it you can really wreck some cult motherfuckers.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

Also learn the quirks of dynamite, the game gives you a lot of it, similarly take advantage of all the lamps lying around for free kills
Yeah, honestly I think the plentiful dynamite is my favorite thing about Cultic, it has the balls to make your explosive option a primary weapon. I don't think I've seen that since Blood and it is really fun.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The shotgun does take a while to get good but once it does it's pretty much the best weapon. It also takes the most parts to get there but who's counting. I WOULD give it to the rifle, but ammo's just a hair too sparse and I think it's got a bit more competition from the upgraded pistol. If anything the odd weapon out in terms of usefulness tends to be the sten imo. There's little it could do against base enemies that the pistol couldn't more efficiently and against the bigger ones, molotovs and shottie or rifle fire top it.

Last night I did one of my daily hard runs and decided to try upgrading the rifle first above all else (shotgun secondary, ofc). I even got the weird slow-mo on alt fire upgrade- as my first upgrade in the starting building. Gonna be honest, I think it's one part too expensive but it's actually pretty good? The slow mo really easily allows you to line up headshots, avoid projectiles and just get a nice lay of the land in something of a breather. One of the things I like about this game is that dodging is actually possible; ducking, sliding, dodging and even jumping over and around projectiles is possible and even necessary, especially at higher difficulties. And it also does cover combat a lot better than a lot of cover shooters, which I generally find to be the most tedious poo poo imaginable. I think it's entirely because the projectiles are just that: very fast projectiles instead of hitscan weapons. Nothing better than sliding under some pistol fire and blasting some idiot in the balls and then sliding and popping around the level geometry like john wick to murder his friends.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I think it got mentioned as something planned for a little later, but have we heard much about Cultic on GOG? Is there an estimated window for that?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

catlord posted:

I think it got mentioned as something planned for a little later, but have we heard much about Cultic on GOG? Is there an estimated window for that?
The dev said he wanted to hold off on it until closer to Cultic Chapter 2's release because it's easier for him as a solo dev to manage updates and patches and stuff on one platform instead of two, but there's been a lot of demand so maybe it'll happen sooner?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Kins posted:

The dev said he wanted to hold off on it until closer to Cultic Chapter 2's release because it's easier for him as a solo dev to manage updates and patches and stuff on one platform instead of two, but there's been a lot of demand so maybe it'll happen sooner?

Makes sense to me, I look forward to it whenever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 22 minutes!
I finished Quake 4 last night for the first time ever. It's dull as dishwater and gets laughably repetitive by the end. Some of it still looks pretty good, in particular the animations. The vehicle sections are dire. Would not recommend.