Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I put all the Google stuff in its own folder on my home screen so it doesn't make a big difference to me.

Same but it still bugs me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Also Gallery. Maybe other things too but I don't use the google versions either.

For gallery google actually has two apps, Photos, which is way overwrought and annoying, and Gallery, which is a lightweight gallery app with all the poo poo stripped out because they realised people were abandoning photos for being too much.

Mental Hospitality posted:

Check Amazon if you don't want to wait on the Google store; I got my black one there. Shipping wasn't Prime 2-day fast, but not bad.

Eh, Amazon's not that reliable a story in Oz, often ridiculous waits/fees/availability, but I ended up realising I could just get it straight from the manufacturer's site instead at the same price as the google store. Should be here tomorrow, which is good, the naked P7P is giving me anxiety. It feels so slippy! I spent too much on it! I need to wrap it!

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 11, 2022

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Wtf photos is great

Legit probably googles best app

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh it's great if you want a smart thing but if you just want to view some pictures in your folders it's frustrating, so back when they didn't have a separate gallery app it was annoying at hell to have to go find a third party one.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Skarsnik posted:

Wtf photos is great

Legit probably googles best app

As far as I know, you can't see every photo on your device in one huge pile, or at least not as default. It defaults to showing you only pictures that you took. Playing with it now, you can only look at individual folders.

I like to see everything, stuff I downloaded, stuff I took, screenshots, etc. And I don't want to remember which app I downloaded a photo from to be able to find it in a random folder.

I also don't use them for photo backups. I don't want to worry about running out of storage space in my Google account, I already pay for OneDrive for that, and looking at the backup setup on my parents' computer, I find their entire system confusing and horrible.

Frankly, I forget Google photos exists as an app or service.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I love Photos as well. Granted I do only use it for viewing photos I take (I'm not in the "downloading other images on my phone" use case for the most part).

But it works really seamlessly and the backup system is super simple as far as I can tell?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

BonoMan posted:

But it works really seamlessly and the backup system is super simple as far as I can tell?

I'm glad it works for you. I'm sure it works for most people.

For my folks, it's something weird with the Windows backup that was set up, which was changed how it works over the years, and not the topic for this thread.

It just makes me not want to use it more.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Uthor posted:

I'm glad it works for you. I'm sure it works for most people.

For my folks, it's something weird with the Windows backup that was set up, which was changed how it works over the years, and not the topic for this thread.

It just makes me not want to use it more.

Oh I didn't even know Google Photos had a desktop backup option so I looked it up and it's just Google Drive and .... yeah that's the problem. It's been a bit since I've tried it but I used to have Drive backup on my computer and it's absolutely garbage. Maybe something has changed, but I hated it too.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I ended up returning the Pixel 7 Pro since I just couldn't deal with the curved edges of the screen, something about it was bugging me. I got an Xperia 5 IV instead. I've been liking it so far, except I just tried to make a phone call and realized I hadn't turned WiFi calling on, and the cell service is terrible at my place.

Went to look for the option to enable WiFi Calling, and came up empty. Is WiFi calling not supported on an Xperia 5 IV for AT&T in the US? :(

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Is there a decent guide to rooting anywhere? The thread linked in the OP is very out of date. I have a Nokia 7 Plus that way out of warranty and stuck on Android 10 and i'd love to stick 13 on.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Lungboy posted:

Is there a decent guide to rooting anywhere? The thread linked in the OP is very out of date. I have a Nokia 7 Plus that way out of warranty and stuck on Android 10 and i'd love to stick 13 on.

Probably this one and if not then somewhere on xda.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Can't get used to this Pixel 7 size, what's the best Pixel 5 sized phone?

Maybe I'll get a Pixel 5 refurb.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

smoobles posted:

The Pixel 6a is smaller, I believe.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

smoobles posted:

zenphone 9, probably

pixel 5 might have better pictures, z9 should have better everything else

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Soul Glo posted:

zenphone 9, probably

pixel 5 might have better pictures, z9 should have better everything else

If only it had wireless charging, zenphone 9 would have been on my short list

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

fletcher posted:

If only it had wireless charging, zenphone 9 would have been on my short list

If you use a case then adding wireless charging is actually cheap and easy if that's a feature you want. Might not be the fastest possible wireless charging, but it works.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

fletcher posted:

I ended up returning the Pixel 7 Pro since I just couldn't deal with the curved edges of the screen, something about it was bugging me. I got an Xperia 5 IV instead. I've been liking it so far, except I just tried to make a phone call and realized I hadn't turned WiFi calling on, and the cell service is terrible at my place.

Went to look for the option to enable WiFi Calling, and came up empty. Is WiFi calling not supported on an Xperia 5 IV for AT&T in the US? :(

AT&T is super picky and lovely about their WiFi calling if you don't buy exactly the right phone (read: directly from them).

If it's not on the right list of IMEI, you could be out of luck.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

AlexDeGruven posted:

AT&T is super picky and lovely about their WiFi calling if you don't buy exactly the right phone (read: directly from them).

I think all the carriers do bullshit like that - I know Verizon Prepaid wouldn't let me use wifi calling on my Motorola One 5G Ace, but on Tracfone (using the Verizon towers) I do have that option available. Verizon also gates stuff like visual voicemail behind postpaid plans, even though it is a native feature of my Pixel 6.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

smoobles posted:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gotta say I'm really hating the curved sides on the P7P so far! Hoping the case alleviates some of it when it comes, though.

(If not there's a strong temptation to return it all and switch to the P7)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 12, 2022

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I'm apparently the only person who really likes the curved screen, but I genuinely think it's pretty great. Using the phone with a thin spigen case on feels better than the same setup on a flat screen

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why

smoobles posted:

S22 is right around the same size

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

At this point wait for the S23 for a non-poo poo SoC.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

I would get a Pixel 5 refurb with a fresh battery over a Samsung.

Samsung is a brand for undiscerning people.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

AlexDeGruven posted:

Noooo. I am liking the Sony so far, aside from the price of course. With how bad cell reception is at my place, I am probably gonna have to return it. drat you AT&T!!

MikeJF posted:

Gotta say I'm really hating the curved sides on the P7P so far! Hoping the case alleviates some of it when it comes, though.

(If not there's a strong temptation to return it all and switch to the P7)

Ohh the P7 is flat? Guess I'm going to be returning the P7P and Xperia 5 IV tomorrow and picking up the P7 instead.

fletcher fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Nov 12, 2022

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

fletcher posted:

Ohh the P7 is flat? Guess I'm going to be returning the P7P and Xperia 5 IV tomorrow and picking up the P7 instead.

Haha I gotta say when I read your initial post I was like “why would you not just get the P7?” The P7P to the XPeria was a weird jump.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Hey, you guys know stuff!

I just got a Galaxy Watch 5 and didn't know that the charger was USB C. So while it slowly charges wirelessly from my phone I'm looking for something on Amazon. Do I get the Samsung USB C plug or will getting a USB C to USB adapter and plugging that into my Samsung plug give me the same charging speed?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Female USB-C to Male USB-A isn't a standards compliant adapter.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Female USB-C to Male USB-A isn't a standards compliant adapter.

So it might be OK and it might not?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Wheeee posted:

Samsung is a brand for undiscerning people.

drat. Someone should let all of those rubes with undiscerning tastes know.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Why not just use a USB-c power adapter? Surely your phone uses one too?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Is the Realme 8 a decent enough phone for my mother-in-law, who basically just needs an easy to use device with decent battery life? She doesn't need any apps or anything but old style button phones are too unfriendly to use. It's £15 per month on contract.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

BonoMan posted:

Haha I gotta say when I read your initial post I was like “why would you not just get the P7?” The P7P to the XPeria was a weird jump.

Save me android thread, you are my only hope.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

eXXon posted:

drat. Someone should let all of those rubes with undiscerning tastes know.

If they knew they wouldn't be rubes!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Why not just use a USB-c power adapter? Surely your phone uses one too?

My Fold plug is normal USB but mostly sits on my wireless anker charger.

So I could either buy a USB C adapter or buy a USB C plug and a new USB C to C cable

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Do the later.

This isn't just connecting the right pinouts. The watch charger is going to be expecting a USB-PD connection that a USB-A port will be unable to give. If it works at all, it will be limited to 5w at the port side which will be even less after wireless loses.

And gently caress Samsung for shipping out USB-A power adapters on products made in the last decade. They held on to their proprietary Fast Charging protocol for too long.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Looking like the Pixel 7a might be a pretty significant departure from the 6a, if this info is accurate and Google doesn't bump the price too much it could mean a return to the market-breaking a-series Pixels of olde.

withoutclass posted:

If they knew they wouldn't be rubes!

yea tbh it's one of those 'if you need it explained to you...' things

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

fletcher posted:

Save me android thread, you are my only hope.

The 7 is a bloody fantastic phone. It's a dramatic improvement over the 6. I can't recommend it enough. I went 6P to 7 and am thrilled with that decision.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Kirios posted:

The 7 is a bloody fantastic phone. It's a dramatic improvement over the 6. I can't recommend it enough. I went 6P to 7 and am thrilled with that decision.

The hardware specs between 6/6P and 7/7P seem very similar on paper. What's so much better about the 7? If it's mostly software-based capabilities then maybe some of those improvements will be backported to the 6 series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

SamDabbers posted:

The hardware specs between 6/6P and 7/7P seem very similar on paper. What's so much better about the 7? If it's mostly software-based capabilities then maybe some of those improvements will be backported to the 6 series.

Battery life, cell coverage, thermal management are they key ones. It's not a huge benchmark improvement, no, but everything else around it is noticeably better.