Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Fighting an alert Rein straight up with anyone seems like a losing proposition.

Also, did he get harder to push or is it just my imagination? I swear it feels like he doesn't boop as far as he used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Veryslightlymad posted:

Fighting an alert Rein straight up with anyone seems like a losing proposition.

Also, did he get harder to push or is it just my imagination? I swear it feels like he doesn't boop as far as he used to.

All Tanks have push resistance now.

Also Orisa can clown on Rein in a brawl.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

All Tanks have push resistance now.

Also Orisa can clown on Rein in a brawl.

As a Rein main Orisa the most annoying to fight if she's good, her shift and spear can gently caress you up movement wise. A good hog can also be annoying as poo poo. Honestly the best Rein counter? A Lucio, being able to speed people away from me and boop me around especially during charges is the most annoying poo poo ever.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

I think the idea of tankbusting as reaper is that it's done with other people helping you tankbust and forcing the tank to burn resources, not as a reaper 1v1

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Orisa's rework is one of the few things I'm really enjoying with OW2.
They kept the core of her gameplay, which is "I'm going to walk forward right now and you don't have a choice but to back the gently caress up", and they made her abilities a lot more interesting.

The on-demand stun ability is especially nice to force everyone who doesn't want to back the gently caress up back the gently caress up.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Megazver posted:

i think there's a pharaoh curse on her

This is why I just no scope my team midrange with her. It also helps me utilize her poison ampule thing better rather than saving it for myself.

My favorite thing lately is punching. Running either Zen or Lucio and saying "gently caress your shields, it doesn't stop a punch to the face!" Ive tilted so many Reins and Reapers by punching them to death. Zen has the added bonus of knocking people all over hell and back.

I love getting into a match half way through where someone ragequit, just to make a total comeback and win the match. It usually happens when I queue All (support). It makes me feel like I'm actually useful instead of the feeding scrub I really am :smith:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Yeah, Lucio being my main anti-Rein support is how I noticed the push resistance. You basically have to touch him to boop him any distance.

Orisa's javelin pisses me off with the sorts of things it can cancel/disrupt. Especially because it doesn't have to hit from the front to drop you out of certain moves. How does hitting someone going the same direction as your javelin disrupt the move?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Veryslightlymad posted:

Yeah, Lucio being my main anti-Rein support is how I noticed the push resistance. You basically have to touch him to boop him any distance.

Orisa's javelin pisses me off with the sorts of things it can cancel/disrupt. Especially because it doesn't have to hit from the front to drop you out of certain moves. How does hitting someone going the same direction as your javelin disrupt the move?

You don't even have to aim it, it's the best.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Right I wasn't going to post it because it's a bit "no duh", but when I thought back to killing Rhine as reaper just the other day it was variations on "drop on the back line, kill the healer, then shoot rhines butt and, when he turns around to hit me, mist form away/reload/make him waste a swing while our own front line punishes him for turning around".

Which, no poo poo, a tank that gets their healer ganked and is then pinched on two sides is in trouble. That's not a reaper strategy, that's "I recommend winning!"

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Jack Trades posted:

Mercy should be pulling out her pistol more often than ever now that Supports have to rely purely on DPS player for protection (:lol:).

Personally, I'll call that proactive healing. There's much less danger of your teammates dying if there's no enemy shooting at them. :angel:

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Zen kick is amazing. Sitting on high ground and kicking an incoming monkey mid air to send him back to earth feels very satisfying.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

This is why I just no scope my team midrange with her. It also helps me utilize her poison ampule thing better rather than saving it for myself.

My favorite thing lately is punching. Running either Zen or Lucio and saying "gently caress your shields, it doesn't stop a punch to the face!" Ive tilted so many Reins and Reapers by punching them to death. Zen has the added bonus of knocking people all over hell and back.

I love getting into a match half way through where someone ragequit, just to make a total comeback and win the match. It usually happens when I queue All (support). It makes me feel like I'm actually useful instead of the feeding scrub I really am :smith:

I had a play of the game on Lijiang Tower which started with me furiously kicking a Sigma like four times until I knocked him into the air moat around the Gazebo, waved, and then shot someone else in the head. Someone in the all chat was all "god that looked annoying."

As for Ana, one of my least favorite things in the game is when either my tank backs into or my Genji helpfully dashes through my grenade and I don't put anti-healing on the enemy team. Ana is real frustrating to play because her gun and best ability can be disrupted by your own team (a unique problem), and her ult requires someone actually worth actually targeting to use it.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

now that it's 5v5 ana should be able to ult herself

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
As someone who never played the original OW: why did they change the 6v6 format to 5v5 with just one tank?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jack's Flow posted:

As someone who never played the original OW: why did they change the 6v6 format to 5v5 with just one tank?

gameflow and skill expression, mostly. the 6v6 format lended itself towards very, very slow games that become far more about high sustain deathball comps and shooting at the enemy shields moreso than a fast-paced FPS where you were trying to kill enemy heroes and had multiple avenues of approach for doing so

it's hard to really put into words how dreadful the older format was if you were an FPS enthusiast. if you want to re-experience what those days were like, pull some friends into an unlocked roles arcade mode and go 4 tanks + one healer and you get a basic idea of what OW1 was like

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack's Flow posted:

Desperate to improve queue times because nobody wants to play Tank or Support.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Vermain posted:

it's hard to really put into words how dreadful the older format was if you were an FPS enthusiast.

Oh yeah, OW1 committed the unforgivable sin of not being cawadooty.
I'm glad they fixed that for OW2.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Don't bring back assault/defense, even though those paradigms made sense and were correct, but instead rotate DPS characters into two groups with their own queue, and force a team to have one of each. I'm sure the problem with DPS being so much more popular is only partially because people find it more fun, and another really big part is because there's about twice as many heroes because the original game had four roles.

Edit
But rename them all assault, because "DPS" just makes everyone play wrong and lose their freaking minds if a tank or support out damages them.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 11, 2022

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Oh yeah, OW1 committed the unforgivable sin of not being cawadooty.
I'm glad they fixed that for OW2.

I can't read the tone of your post but I can confirm shooting shields was just plain boring and that OW2, at least for now, gives me way stronger old-school FPS vibes and I'm having a lot of fun with it, some balance qualms aside

(Sorry if I am out of pocket here)

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

They could have fixed 6v6 if they put in the effort, but they abandoned the game for 3 years and needed a big headline change

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
My ideas are not incredibly serious or at all well thought out, by the way, just spitballing to see if something sticks. Being unable to swap roles really sucks. Flipping two cold players made a hell of a difference, way, way back when.

The roles as is feel too claustrophobic in what they're meant to do. Part of why Doomfist sucks is that he's generally kind of rear end, but a bigger part is, "he's the least tanky of the tanks", presuming you mean a tank is meant to draw enemy aggro and not die. I don't mean "it sucks that there's a definition" I mean that it sucks that this definition basically makes some characters somewhat objectively always wrong to pick.

There's a space that's not being addressed quite right, with weirdos like Torbjorn and Mei. Mei, in particular, is really weird compared to basically everyone else. She has more HP than any DPS other than Torb, plus a wall, plus a big self heal. She's weirdly almost like having another tank, but nowhere near tanky enough to place there. It's like, there are quite a few characters that feel just off enough in a certain role I can dimly see the edges of, but I can't quite make it all out. There's a few characters across all three current roles that are either too good or not good enough or not played the way people want or the devs intended that all kinda follow this vaguely selfish, or at the very least, self sufficient, brawling archetype.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
In OW1 that third party stat site said I was among the elite of PS4 Mercys when it came to elims . . . . at a staggering 1.7 per match. If you kill what I'm healing or boosting ima dump on you but that's about the only time I use my gun.

verbal enema posted:

i keep ranking up from b5 to b5 as supp :c

Finally someone on this site I can matchmake with.

Rick fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 12, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It was a nightmare to balance too because it turns out a dps that can burn down a 500 HP tank deletes a 200 HP non tank too quickly, and in OW1 they were struggling to let DPS kill TWO tanks quickly enough with them making non tank engagements weird.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Veryslightlymad posted:

My ideas are not incredibly serious or at all well thought out, by the way, just spitballing to see if something sticks. Being unable to swap roles really sucks. Flipping two cold players made a hell of a difference, way, way back when.

The roles as is feel too claustrophobic in what they're meant to do. Part of why Doomfist sucks is that he's generally kind of rear end, but a bigger part is, "he's the least tanky of the tanks", presuming you mean a tank is meant to draw enemy aggro and not die. I don't mean "it sucks that there's a definition" I mean that it sucks that this definition basically makes some characters somewhat objectively always wrong to pick.

There's a space that's not being addressed quite right, with weirdos like Torbjorn and Mei. Mei, in particular, is really weird compared to basically everyone else. She has more HP than any DPS other than Torb, plus a wall, plus a big self heal. She's weirdly almost like having another tank, but nowhere near tanky enough to place there. It's like, there are quite a few characters that feel just off enough in a certain role I can dimly see the edges of, but I can't quite make it all out. There's a few characters across all three current roles that are either too good or not good enough or not played the way people want or the devs intended that all kinda follow this vaguely selfish, or at the very least, self sufficient, brawling archetype.

Mei, Torbjorn, and especially Symmetra got really displaced when they got rid of the Defense category of heroes. I still think they limited their design space by recategorizing everyone into Tank/Support/DPS. Having Offense/Defense/Support/Tank made a bit more sense for the game genre and Defense specifically was a field they could've explored more. Somehow I doubt we'll get kits like Mei, Torb, & Symmetra again when they have to be shoehorned into the DPS category.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Rick posted:

In OW1 that third party stat site said I was among the elite of PS4 Mercys when it came to elims . . . . at a staggering 1.7 per match. If you kill what I'm healing or boosting ima dump on you but that's about the only time I use my gun.

There was a season where I was #4 in North America in crit rate, and the only one in the top 5 who actually appeared to try to heal. For all that my healing has always been below average with her.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Okay what the gently caress is sombra in this game now? her hack is practically instant.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Astrochicken posted:

Okay what the gently caress is sombra in this game now? her hack is practically instant.

I've been messing around with Sombra in low gold and idk what's up but even with instant hack the moment I start it the *entire team* turns around and peels. I think people have PTSD

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1u1PIINvY0

Me and two RL friends get humiliated

I love this stupid game lmao

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Good god I've been having a bad time in quick play for the last several days. I'm getting consistently incredibly bottom of the barrel team mates - like genuinely new players who are confused about what the game even is. Tanks who won't press W, healers who won't heal, DPS who can't do damage. Just this absolute string of game after game after game of the enemy team taking the map with relative ease and on a number of occasions even offering apologies specifically to me because I was the only player putting up any sort of fight. I don't understand what the hell is going on - I think I've won maybe 1 in 5 or 6 matches for my last several evenings of play.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
The games the past week or so have been pretty drat awful on the average. Mega-stomps one direction or the other are the norm now, leavers are on the rise in comp, and people being douchebags in match chat are way up too.

I mean, at least there are players now compared to OW1 :shrug:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Traitorous Leopard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1u1PIINvY0

Me and two RL friends get humiliated

I love this stupid game lmao

Im impressed by the restraint to not immediately squat/spray/emote/say hello after a killer dunk like that tbh. More than once ive gotten a 4k lucio environmental kill and emoted and immediately gotten melted which tbh fair enough

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Ive been playing with some brand new players lately and i always thought my qp games were lousy with bad players but man, the matchmaking when youre queued with totally fresh accounts is a whole other ball game entirely. I cant imagine how much worse it would be without my tepid mmr bringing it up slightly

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Im impressed by the restraint to not immediately squat/spray/emote/say hello after a killer dunk like that tbh. More than once ive gotten a 4k lucio environmental kill and emoted and immediately gotten melted which tbh fair enough

I gotta get better at clowning on fools. I shot a hamster out of the sky twice, as Bap and didn't think to emote. He was gunning directly for me both times, and swung all the way down that long curved hallway to the back where I was on that robot push map. Before he could get the slam off I popped him in ball form. :feelsgood:

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Rumor is they are starting to ban people for smurfing now.

It's about time. Not sure how the gently caress they went through many years of OW1 with content creators regularly doing X to GM challenges on fresh accounts every month or two.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I have to imagine the requirement of 50 Quick Play wins to be able to play ranked killed off at least that particular challenge pretty effectively.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

without looking it up i assume there's a market for new bronze ranked accounts

but yes bronze to GM runs should probably be bannable

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004
Highway did an unranked to GM on sojourn recently and during it he mentioned he now finds it easier to smurf in ow2 than 1.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i only really consider it smurfing if someone has the account intentionally deranked through whatever means specifically to get easier games

if someone plays tons of games including through quickplay and the game is extremely slow to put them where they should be, it's really a fault of the game

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
So, tonight I queued tank which I don't really play much at all... got like 8/10 wins where it felt like I was carrying pretty hard, then hit a brick wall again and lost several with healers that weren't and dps that weren't. Got to say though, Zarya :stare: the complaints are real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs

SadisTech posted:

So, tonight I queued tank which I don't really play much at all... got like 8/10 wins where it felt like I was carrying pretty hard, then hit a brick wall again and lost several with healers that weren't and dps that weren't. Got to say though, Zarya :stare: the complaints are real

I think they need to lower her damage and increase cooldown time on her two bubbles.

Cut her damage by 20% I’d say and make her bubbles only usable one per fight. Right now they are almost always up.