Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

WarpDogs posted:

we're talking about video games, dude.

Oh my bad,

hyrule kingdom syndrome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I dunno why you guys always gotta make it weird.

I can’t play a game with performance issues it’s too distracting to me.
I notice if the frame rate dips but it doesn’t really bother me.
I don’t usually notice how a game performs while I’m playing it.

Just pick one. Not everything has to full of weird “unacceptable embarrassing” hyperbole. Clearly the success of the Switch means that a large portion of the population would simply fall into one of the latter categories.

Although I will still get a chuckle out of KS admitting he couldn’t actually tell the frame rate of Bayonetta and then stating that one of his favorite things to do is tinker with config files for each individual game on the Steam Deck to optimize performance in consecutive posts.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

MarcusSA posted:

lol

Sounds like Stockholm syndrome to me.

Maybe the devs could actually do better work and work with the limitations that the system has so they can provide a smooth experience to the end user.

tell me you know nothing about hardware without actually saying that

the "better work" you're talking about is usually a shittier resolution. i'd rather deal with oh no 25fps than it looking like a youtube video from 15 years ago or a ps1 game

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

ImpAtom posted:

It is a turn based rpg

it's mostly annoying in the towns and big areas rather than the battles tbh but running around catchin and killin em is pretty fun

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Large Testicles posted:

the "better work" you're talking about is usually a shittier resolution. i'd rather deal with oh no 25fps than it looking like a youtube video from 15 years ago or a ps1 game

with the nintendo switch™ you can have both

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

POCKET CHOMP posted:

i think you meant to say "posting in the Splatoon 3 thread complaining about Nintendo's online service"

Oh jeez don't get me started on that. Completely unacceptable, multiple disconnects every half hour over ethernet. Defend that, too, if you like

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
It makes you mad, so it's good

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

WarpDogs posted:

waiting for someone to accidentally reveal they often don't even notice low framerates unless it's pointed out to them or they go looking for it.

I can fall on this sword.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

American McGay posted:

I dunno why you guys always gotta make it weird.

I can’t play a game with performance issues it’s too distracting to me.
I notice if the frame rate dips but it doesn’t really bother me.
I don’t usually notice how a game performs while I’m playing it.

Just pick one. Not everything has to full of weird “unacceptable embarrassing” hyperbole. Clearly the success of the Switch means that a large portion of the population would simply fall into one of the latter categories.

Well said. I'm somewhere between "I notice if the frame rate dips but it doesn’t really bother me." and "I don’t usually notice how a game performs while I’m playing it." as in it's gotta to be real drat bad for me to notice and then egregiously affecting gameplay for me to care. I feel for people who are affected by it since it limits their options and that sucks.

Also, don't forget that a lot of people only own a Switch. I have an old Macbook Air so Steam isn't an option and I have no room for any newer console so like I have to put up with whatever the Switch offers, so even if it was really bad, I probably just grit my teeth throughout anyway.

I used it to hate loading times, but you can also just keep a book handy on the side or correct papers while things load anyway.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Hey everyone, Luigi has something to say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7QZgH1eP2o

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lifehack: develop debilitating vision problems and like me you will never notice framerate issues again

I would kill for 60fps Bayonetta 3 though, having nearly finished it on Switch now I'm highly tempted to emulate it for future playthroughs

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I feel for people who are affected by it since it limits their options and that sucks.

I don't think it's like thinking coriander tastes like soap or whatever, it's just about what you're used to. If you only play on the switch and haven't played another modern console or a decent gaming PC then you're not aware of how good things can look and run, which makes you notice when they don't by comparison.

Not that high consistent frame rates are necessary for a game to look good and play well, but the main problem for me is when even Nintendo first party games can't hit their targets - anyone with eyes should have noticed the chugging in the Korok forest in BotW, the various Warriors games running like poo poo when in intense crowded battles (which is the whole point of the game), and Bowser's Fury.

There's one poster who regularly chips in to this argument by saying the problem is not with the power of the console but with developers not putting in the time to optimise their games for the console, but if even Nintendo can't get consistent performance out of their titles then there's a problem.

Edit: sorry if that shut up was an edict

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

PageMaster posted:

Anyone have the 8bitdo ultimate controller? If so, how do you like it? I need a switch pro controller replacement, and seeing as they're both the same price, i'm not sure if I go with Nintendo or 8bitdo now.

Quite literally, the only thing official controllers have over current 8bitdo ones are the ability to remotely wake up a Switch. Otherwise, 8bitdo is equal or better on every conceivable level.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i have serious vision problems. Do you think they will make another Nintendogs. i hate 'Little Friends: Dogs & Cats'

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

When I was more into PC gaming I used to play games with the FPS counter enabled in Steam settings because I was obsessed with maxing out the frame rate. Eventually I realized that I cared more about that dumb number than I did about the games I was playing and shut it off, and immediately had more fun with the games I was playing.

Of course games that run better feel nice to play, but frame rate is just one factor in how satisfying a game is to play. I tend to enjoy the games that come up in this thread with performance issues (Link’s Awakening remake, Legends Arceus, Breath of the Wild, etc) despite the performance problems because I forget about the performance problems if I’m having a good time. The games would of course be better if they didn’t have these issues, but when I think about them I think about the fun moments I had playing them, not the times when the frame rate dropped to 20 fps because of an explosion or whatever.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Maybe I do have brainworms, I have Metroid Dread but haven't started playing it yet because of all the people saying it looks amazing on an OLED so I'm waiting until I either impulse buy an OLED switch or upgrade my TV

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
no matter your opinion, ensure you get very angry about everyone else's

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm mad about one thing, not having enough free time to play all the games I want to play!!

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Butterfly Valley posted:

Maybe I do have brainworms, I have Metroid Dread but haven't started playing it yet because of all the people saying it looks amazing on an OLED so I'm waiting until I either impulse buy an OLED switch or upgrade my TV

I wouldn't say amazing. It looks better bit there's still no 4k or HDR on the switch to take advantage of a OLED so you're really not missing out on much by playing it now. I say that as someone who believed the hype, bought a OLED and then sold it two mo the later because it wasn't that impressive compared to my normal Switch

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

NINTENDO!!!

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jy_qntxOoo

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Butterfly Valley posted:

Dread was the first game I played on my OLED TV and it was awesome, but I don’t know if you need to hold off on playing it until you upgrade your Switch or TV.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

An Actual Princess posted:

ok, have fun not playing pokemon while the rest of us with normal brains have a great time. keep us updated about what else you won't be doing

I always hear so much "B-but Pokemon is the biggest franchise in the world, they have the time and money to make the games flawless and have perfect framerates! :smith:" when a new Pokemon game comes out.

They never have and never will, so just enjoy what you get. I sure will.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

The one thing the devs at GameFreak don’t have is time, they’re definitely forced to release games on a set schedule that aligns with other merchandise and anime releases. I don’t recall a Pokémon game ever being delayed, for better or for worse.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Snake Maze posted:

Yeah, they're basically blurry versions of the SNES sprites.

Honestly I think the snes sprites still look better, even if the rest of the improvements make Reborn the definitive version.

Where are the ogres?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

AlternateNu posted:

Quite literally, the only thing official controllers have over current 8bitdo ones are the ability to remotely wake up a Switch. Otherwise, 8bitdo is equal or better on every conceivable level.

The Ultimate finally wakes the Switch up. I have it, it owns.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Scholtz posted:

Where are the ogres?

It’s Tactics Ogre, singular. There’s only the one.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I’m surprised nobody’s talking about the online feature that Switch is going to lose in the coming weeks.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
is that new atari thing worth it or am i being duped for old games again

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The Tactics Ogre is you, the player!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The ability to post screenshots directly to Twitter.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Becoming more and more ogrelike every time the darkness of a loading screen shows my reflection

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Dread was the first game I played on my OLED TV and it was awesome, but I don’t know if you need to hold off on playing it until you upgrade your Switch or TV.

Same, it uses so much black space that an OLED really shines. But yeah it's not that important, game is good just play it when you want to.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

The one thing the devs at GameFreak don’t have is time, they’re definitely forced to release games on a set schedule that aligns with other merchandise and anime releases. I don’t recall a Pokémon game ever being delayed, for better or for worse.

Gold and silver released like 2 years after they were supposed to lol

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Detective No. 27 posted:

I’m surprised nobody’s talking about the online feature that Switch is going to lose in the coming weeks.

What's this in reference to?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Detective No. 27 posted:

The ability to post screenshots directly to Twitter.

It's time for Nintendo to bring back Miiverse

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What's this in reference to?

Posting screenshots to Twitter, which frankly is looking more realistic by the day.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Butterfly Valley posted:

Play it now and use your eventual OLED (console or TV) purchase as an excuse to replay it

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Scholtz posted:

Play it now and use your eventual OLED (console or TV) purchase as an excuse to replay it

"Before" and "after" comparison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

I was reading that the new one can also wake up the switch, you have to pick it up then shake it (the controller). Not sure how that works (or how well it works), but I'm not sure how much I believe it. They also sell a 2.4ghz version, and a bluetooth version. Which one would be preferable?

Edit: the more expensive one has a switch to go between the two modes so I guess it's got everything covered.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 12, 2022