Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I used them to crank up the bleed on my Great Stars and give me a budget barricade shield for cheap. Haven't needed them in awhile but I also swapped to a full poise damage build entirely on accident and I don't think any of them are good for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

turn off the TV posted:

Destined Death is described exclusively as some magical power that can be used as a weapon to kill immortal beings like gods and demigods. There's a grand total of zero references to it doing anything else.

Also I would not call the state of affairs in the Lands Between a stalemate, more like the war ended and Morgott won. Radahn is a zombie, Malenia is more or less dead, Miquella is dead, Rykard is an insane snake man who eats people, Ranni doesn't want anything to do with it, and Mohg is trying to achieve his goal via corpse egg spooning. That basically leaves Godrick, and that dude's a massive coward, so there's just no more fighting and there likely hasn't been for ages. And Morgott is chief dude who thinks that nobody is going to ever get into the Erdtree, so that's that.

I believe it's also mentioned somewhere that the Tarnished only started showing up after the shattering wars ended and Marika decided it was time for plan D.

Morgott took an L trying to screw with Rykards quest to make a family but that's really it yeah.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I only used the drawstrings when I didn't have any of the regular greases left, and even then I felt like it barely did much.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Morgott is a status-quo centrist, and someone like that winning the war is basically equivalent to stalemate

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I just want to say, the couple of dungeons that try to trick you by repeating their layout and enemies are so so so good.

Clapping my hands and guffawing just thinking about them again

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I love the one at the bottom of Leyndell that has a fake Omen corpse with a real Omen staring at it like "WTF?"

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I love the one that has like 20 teleporter trap chests. Time to craft a ton of rainbow stones so you know which chests you've already gone through!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Why bother crafting a short-duration weapon buff when the key component is extremely rare in the world and can't be purchased?

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

Jay Rust posted:

I just want to say, the couple of dungeons that try to trick you by repeating their layout and enemies are so so so good.

Clapping my hands and guffawing just thinking about them again

It actually ruled the first time it happened then it got a sensible chuckle the second time then it got old the third time. It's not ideal.

At least they did have some funny visual gags the third time, you fight through a hallway filled with regular land squirts, then the second version of the room you turn a corner and there is a giant land squirt just chilling at you.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

No Dignity posted:

I don't think there's any fight in this game I hate as much as Fallingstar Beast. Huge hitboxes, tiny punish windows, constant aggression, every time you have to fight one of these guys it's the worst

It was funny because I thought you had to fight the one on the way up to Mt. Gelmir so I got good enough I could do it flawlessly and then went and crushed the one in the tiny room that had been a huge pain in my rear end.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Is it normal for enemies to just all be sleeping? I have gone through a few dungeons where about half of it is sleeping monsters. I have also had this happen to random giant trolls in the fields and after smashing them to half health they finally wake up.

I went through Castle Morne and about 30% of the mobs were sleeping. The entire last stretch before the boss was me just back stabbing mobs left and right. No aggro.

Not complaining really. Free, easy runes. But it happens a lot in my game I find.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dialhforhero posted:

Is it normal for enemies to just all be sleeping? I have gone through a few dungeons where about half of it is sleeping monsters. I have also had this happen to random giant trolls in the fields and after smashing them to half health they finally wake up.

I went through Castle Morne and about 30% of the mobs were sleeping. The entire last stretch before the boss was me just back stabbing mobs left and right. No aggro.

Not complaining really. Free, easy runes. But it happens a lot in my game I find.

It's to encourage stealthy gameplay, and spotting (and murdering) enemies before they wake up and gang up on you. Nobly backstab your enemies during their naptime, Tarnished.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I have been playing this game like a high fantasy entry in the MGS series so I guess that checks out.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
In particular, one of the reasons catacomb imps are so often dormant when you find them is because you really don't want to be facing down three of them at once.

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.
I’m at level 76 and just beat Morgott and I guess I probably have like 30 levels to go before I can reasonably whip the Fire Giant? Any recommendations on what to hit up in the meantime? I think straight grinding that much will burn me out.

Also any favorite STR/FTH weapons/gear/spells/etc?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

its worth clearing castle sol and fighting the way down the haligtree even if you dont take on malenia quite yet. lots of useful stuff in the consecrated snowfield and haligtree

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
You shouldn't really need to grind anything. If you haven't explored all the rest of Atlus, Gelmir, Leyndell, Volcano Mansion and the underground zones now is the time. They're all easier than Mountaintops.

That said I'm sure it's perfectly possible to beat the fire giant at your level as long as you get your preferred weapon/catalyst to 8 or so.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Bloody Slash hits like a truck in the early game, and a lot of enemies walk right into it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

bear named tators posted:

I’m at level 76 and just beat Morgott and I guess I probably have like 30 levels to go before I can reasonably whip the Fire Giant? Any recommendations on what to hit up in the meantime? I think straight grinding that much will burn me out.

Loads of good STR/FTH weapons in the late game. Blasphemous blade (crafted from remembrance for the final boss of Volcano) is probably the best.

Also, make sure you are giving deathroots to the cleric beast in Dragonbarrow, pretty much every reward he gives is focused on strength and/or faith.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Medium Doot.

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

I'm a high FTH/STR build still from my first playthrough. When I sort my fully upgraded weapons by attack power it's Black Blade (from Maliketh) > Golden Halberd > Gargoyle's Blackblade > Gargoyle's Black Halberd > Blasphemous Blade > Starscourge Greatsword(s) > Golden Order Greatsword > Nightrider Glaive > bunch of other random stuff.

Drain 001 fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 13, 2022

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What are some good pure strength weapons that upgrade with somber stones?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
How do you say it?

Dynasty

Huh hows it supposed to be pronounced

Dynasty

Weird

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I don't think there are any? Maybe Godfrey's Axe but that's super late game and Quality iirc? Sombre mostly means Boss Soul weapons in this game and they all tend to have a laser and secondary scaling of some kind tied to them

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Jay Rust posted:

Watchdog's Staff is a C in Str, that's the closest I can think of off the top of my head

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Jay Rust posted:

Serpent Hunter and Commander's Standard are A and B in strength respectively at +10.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Ruins Greatsword requires a small Int investment, but is functionally a (devastating) pure-Strength weapon.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Darth Walrus posted:

Ruins Greatsword requires a small Int investment, but is functionally a (devastating) pure-Strength weapon.

It’s got a weapon art that is almost as good as blasphemous blade. Purple.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
https://i.imgur.com/FJazB2i.mp4

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Nice liquid cat.

Anyway, I'm having an issue where my character is stuck at 7/8 Memory Stones and I have double-checked that all five chests that contain one are looted and empty, both bosses that drop one are dead, and I have bought the one from twin maiden husks in roundtable. Has this happened to anyone else, and is there a fix (besides going to NG+ and checking all the spots again)? Nevermind, similar named towers.

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 13, 2022

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Darth Walrus posted:

This imo, and Starscourge greatswords, same deal.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Mentat Radnor posted:

Nice liquid cat.

I've been seeing videos and they remind me of Elden Ring combat, in this one I'm imagining a kind of slow boss reveal animation and then whiffing the first strike

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

A bit more int gets you the falling star beast jaw. It doesn't scale as well with str but has a really nice WA.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Grafted Greatsword is one and you get it crazy early. Commander Standard + Black Whatever Halberd is an A+ combination too.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I occasionally used Ghiza's Wheel in my caveman run and liked it a lot but most good STR weapons use regular stones yeah

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Nox Flowing Hammer

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Grafted Greatsword is one and you get it crazy early. Commander Standard + Black Whatever Halberd is an A+ combination too.

Requires some DEX but I don't think any somber weapons are pure STR.

On my first guy who was a 2hand STR fella I used Dung Eater's Sword of Milos for a bit (mostly because it's one of the coolest looking weapons) before I swapped to Giant Crusher though it requires more DEX than STR.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

So is Rya a demigod? She's arguably Rykard's daughter.

In fact, is "demigod" anything more than a legal status? Marika/Radagon is only special because (s)he's channeling the powers of the Cosmic Plesiosaur; the demigods' pseudo-immortality is being enforced by whatever the Elden Ring actually is, right?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I think the only demigods who aren't the direct offspring of Marika and/or Radagon are Godfrey, who as everyone who mentions him agrees doesn't really count, and Mohg/Morgott

I don't really know how Mohg/Morgott came by demigodhood in the first place come to think of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Mohg and Morgott are kids of Marika and Godfrey. The only demigod that isn't a direct offspring is Godrick, whose lineage is unclear.