Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Ok. One more question: How difficult is it to get lower level folks caught up with the rest of the group (minus grinding for upgrade items)? It is really just a matter of progressing through the practice maps? Or do you get something to speed up the process later in the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

AlternateNu posted:

Ok. One more question: How difficult is it to get lower level folks caught up with the rest of the group (minus grinding for upgrade items)? It is really just a matter of progressing through the practice maps? Or do you get something to speed up the process later in the game?

Super easy. They gain way more experience when they're underleveled to the point where they will gain a full level per single action if they're particularly far behind.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

An action can be as simple as using an item. It's so easy to level up people. The game really is just great.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

AlternateNu posted:

The one question I have before I ignore this thread to prevent spoilers: Which side characters should I be keeping an eye out for for utility/power purposes?
Lionel is worth leveling up because he gets a skill that gives you money every time he picks up a bag and the amount of money is based on his level. It's the best way to get money from mock battles so you can upgrade things.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Argue posted:

That ladder guy is useless except on maps where he's useful, then suddenly... drat.

There was a late game map where he was the absolute gamechanger because I could lure in a few enemies behind a chokepoint, and then have ladder man just wall off the chokepoint with a bunch of springboards so I wouldn't get absolutely swarmed. Even the boss was no match for the springboard

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
jens becomes a lot more useful when you get his second tier weapon skill that makes his trap only cost 1 tp. if you always choose bad spots to place traps he's never going to be useful, though.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

A lot of mid game maps are great for Jens but the last few chapters were tough in making use of him. I also found out the hard way that his ladders do have a height limit and it blew up my whole strategy for one fight.

Also he's so slow that you usually need to put the scarf on him.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I haven't played in a bit but there's maps where Jens is loving godlike (especially the Wolfort Demesne if you decide not to burn the houses) but most of them were pretty early on from my experience.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

If you combine him with Erador or horse mom you can push people into the traps which is satisfying.

And yeah, Jens and Rudolph together can lock down an entire side of the maps in both the Wolfort and roselle village fights

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011

Arist posted:

I haven't played in a bit but there's maps where Jens is loving godlike (especially the Wolfort Demesne if you decide not to burn the houses) but most of them were pretty early on from my experience.

My first attempt jens yeeted avlora into one of the triggers, which set it off and burned a half a dozen people to death

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

wereboat posted:

My first attempt jens yeeted avlora into one of the triggers, which set it off and burned a half a dozen people to death

Lmao

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

My fourth and final Golden Run playthrough started out slowly and stalled out for a bit, mainly because I'm insisting on listening to the voice-acting and seeing the whole plot again, and yeah the beginning is slow. Even if there's fights and some mock battles, the game doesn't pick up until chapter 7 (or whenever you choose Roland's fate). Those maps are the first unique and good maps, but after that it's a pretty non-stop joy. I just got through defending some of my subjects and it's just great.

I want to do some other runs, like Wizards only and poo poo like that, but one I want to do is by Nation. A Glenbrook only troop, a Hyzante only, etc. Maybe make a difference between Glenbrook and Wolffort.

But the problem is I don't know if find out where everyone is actually from? And if I did find out I think I've forgotten.

Aside from the obvious: Lionel, Groma, Flanagan, Giovanna is from Aesfront; Ezana, Archibald, Quahaug, Geela, Medina, Decimal is from Hyzante; Travis and Trish are from Wolffort;

Hossabara I presume is from Wolffort but I'm not sure?

Julio is implied to be from Falkes but is otherwise from Glenbrook right? Like Hughette she's not actually from Aesfrost but from Glenbrook. Just Flugey is from the north?

Anna... isn't she actually from somewhere around Hyzante?

Jens is from Aesfrost isn't he? Or at least he studied there I think.

Narve is Hyzantian.

No idea where Piccoletta is from.

Will definitely be making a personal tier list when this is all said and done though. I remember being cool on Flanagan and now the idea is laughable. Dude is amazing, just buff his strength a bit with items and he's good to go.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I think you can look at character biographies any time they have an active dialogue box. There’s a button prompt.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I think you can look at character biographies any time they have an active dialogue box. There’s a button prompt.

Yeah but it doesn't tell you details on where they're from. Those only come from the Side Stories you get from using them and I'll be honest I've forgotten a bunch of them. It's a pity there's no Movie Viewer exactly to rewatch that. Like Ezana's blurb doesn't say anything in particular, but you find out in her backstory that she was kicked out of Hyzante .

Anna's particularly frustrating because all her side stories are sort of about her mysterious past. And now I can't remember what was said.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
This video contains every character side story, if you want to rewatch them. Spoilers obviously. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DalJXXB-U0c

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm nearing the end of my first run. I ended up siding with Benedict to take down Hyzante because that seemed the most realistic choice that still provided the likely possibility of freeing the Roselle. Sorry, Roland. The crown was obviously a bit too heavy on that head of yours.

I do like how there's nearly enough characters, even from just this first playthrough, to play an "old fucks" team. :v: At some point, I'll have to try that.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Every time I pick this game up the story puts me to sleep, which is frustrating because I was super excited about it.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
The ratio of story to gameplay evens out quite a bit after the initial couple hours of setup. Crucially, things also start actually happening

Prowler
May 24, 2004

This isn't like Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics, where a large portion of war-related events happen off-screen/in the Warren Report and etc. It has a much heavier focus on the narrative/worldbuilding--to its detriment as far as pacing goes, especially in the beginning.

In the first two-three hours of Triangle Strategy, you will fight a total of two battles. Compared to Tactics Ogre: Reborn, you'll likely be nearing the end of chapter 1 battle. TO structures things in more of a scene-battle-two scenes-battle sort of thing. TS, on the other hand, will often have one to two mandatory story scenes, two to three optional scenes, an exploration phase (battlefield preview), then the battle.

That said, I found myself a lot more invested in the characters/story/world of TS than I ever did for the characters in Tactics Ogre. But, unlike TS, TO is part of a larger series and world, so I guess it's partially understandable. Plus, PSP/Reborn added dialogue and scenes to help with that a little.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I think that it is all-advised to approach game structure that way. TS is a new IP that people are not invested in like FFT or TO, so I think that more action to start (show off your best assets) with more world-building later makes a lot of sense. I've been following the LP of the game on this forum and, my goodness, the early game is a lot of talkie and not much fightie.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

It is. It really finds a good rhythm around Ch 7 but prior to that it can feel like there's not a lot of fights. Mock battles help that out a bit but it's a fair criticism. Still the plot isn't bad, I'd just say turn off the voice-acting and read it since it'll go by quicker.

Fangz posted:

This video contains every character side story, if you want to rewatch them. Spoilers obviously. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DalJXXB-U0c

Thanks for this it definitely helps me clear up some issues. So regarding the previous unknowns:

Hossabara would seem to be from Wolffort, but there's no clear proof.

Julio is going to be a Glenbrook fighter even if he takes cues from Falkes.

Anna did grow up in Wolffort is from somewhere else, which is made clear in her side story.

Jens is tough. I'm going to put him down as Wolffort. He both supplied the Aesfrostis with weapons and studied there but a student at the archives talks about 'Our Nations' regarding the mine. If they were both Aesfrosti he wouldn't have said Our. It could be the student's from Hyzante or whatever, but I'm more comfortable putting Jens as from Wolffort.

Piccoletta is a mystery, seeing as her circus had members from Hyzante and Glenbrook, but the Ringleader was from Aesfrost, and being a child I would presume she would've joined there. So she's going to be an Aesfrosti.

So all told Wolffort gets unsurprisingly the bulk of the cast with 7, Glenbrook (which Wolffort is technically a part of) is made up of 5, Aesfrost gives us 8, and Hyzante shockingly offers up 10. Your army is mainly exiled Hyzantians. Go figure! Hyzante features 2 of the 3 healers making the other groups harder to run with. Glenbrook has a small but incredibly fierce contingent of 5 (Best Healer Cordelia, Glass Cannon Roland, all-arounder Secret Character, the best archer in Hughette and the ever useful Julio). Could be fun to try to run these forces.

I think I'll go back to playing on Normal though. Hard's fine but it just inflates the damage encouraging less risk-taking which is unfortunate because it's fun to go hard in this game at times.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Honestly, Tristrat is just really interested in setting up the world early on so that you're invested when it starts paying things off.

Some people find it boring early and that's fair but I was just so impressed with a game having the confidence to just sit a player down and be like "This is actually important, you need to understand."

And it really, really, does work out in the long run.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I can't get over just how grounded it was. It was so refreshing. There's like one thing, and frankly it's far far tamer than most games.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
One of the cardinal rules about writing stories is "start your story as close as possible to the inciting incident" and Triangle Strategy is not interested in following that rule, for good or ill. The game as a whole would have been suited having all of that delicious world-building being spread out better through the course of the game, but it definitely is confident in its ability to suck you in early.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I personally don't think it takes too long setting things up at all. It introduces the characters and setting and then things kick off chapter four. I'd say only chapter 3 is a little extraneous.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

One of the weirder things in the mock battles is how the three best maps (the 3 choices to retake Glenbrook) never show up in the Mock Battles, but you get the Rosellan village and Mines repeated a bunch of times.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

The Roland route retake Glenbrook battle is genuinely an all time gaming moment for me. The dramatic thunderstorm, rematch with Avlora, the Roland/Cordelia unhappy reunion. And then finally turning the tide in the tough-as-nails fight itself and hearing the music change.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Smiling Knight posted:

The Roland route retake Glenbrook battle is genuinely an all time gaming moment for me. The dramatic thunderstorm, rematch with Avlora, the Roland/Cordelia unhappy reunion. And then finally turning the tide in the tough-as-nails fight itself and hearing the music change.

That's just the best chapter in the game. Frederica's path has the single best battle in the game I can't enough of that high-speed river boarding map! but seriously all three paths offer quality moments.

I just wrapped up the Golden Route that was quite the long epilogue, but satisfying. The final unit unlock on that path is a wonder. I used it to great effect on the subsequent fights, which were disappointingly not as unique as I would've liked. Hard mode wasn't that hard either in the end. You take enough healers and it's really not an issue if you find a good choke point/build a natural wall of units and Corentin's ice. Turtling is the best tactic in hard mode, but also certain buffs just wreck the game like the Auto-Life and Super-Charged Health.

I liked the game's thesis of Choice/Free Will over Control. It's a bit paradoxical with you being part of a feudal society, but the message of optimism and learning from your mistakes is nice, with a touch of the old 'power of friendship'.

The final battle was interesting. I bee-lined the boss with the Final Unit and Serenoa, with Anna and Trish providing back-up with their multi-attacks (due to the boss's shielding). Trish got wiped out but the other three went all out without much difficulty. What had helped was throwing the Resurrection Earrings on the Final Unit, stacking that with Auto-Life's on both heavy-hitters and super charging their HP, thanks to a first turn Medina TP Rush. I think it took me 5 rounds overall to bring him down and only one auto-life was lost.

Meanwhile all the support units: Benedict (in one of his few appearances), Geela, the other Healer, Medina, Decimal, and Piccoletta (who I brought to buy time with Decoy) did pretty drat good thanks to being fed a ton of TP by Medina and having Benedict keeping every Dragon Shielded while the healers kept every one alive, with Piccoletta providing item damage/healing when necessary. Decimal insta-killing two units was a small boon, but one that I think I would've managed without.

I don't think I'd play it on hard again though, I'd like to take a few more risks and the lower scaling on Normal allows for just that. It was nice to get a happy conclusion for everyone anyway, and I liked that Lyla is reunited with Quahog. The final drawing though shows massive size discrepancies for people, which yeah. I get it's just stylistic but it suddenly made some people seem tiny and others huge.

Regarding the units:

Medina, to no one's surprise, is the game's best support unit. You won't necessarily have to grind cash, since by the end of multiple runs you tend to have a lot of it (especially from selling back things) even after upgrading weapons, but you may need to grind a bit if you want to use her early on. Her TP granting is ridiculous, especially since you can regularly do it twice. She'd often start with the Vanguard Scarf and a Speed Bracelet to get even more turns. Not a great fighter, but she could pull stuff off in a pinch.

I can see why people like Benedict but his usefulness is so tied to TP that without a battery he has little use aside from a decent defensive wall. And I'd rather use a TP Battery for a caster. I think if I were using Medina more freely, and was defending an area, keeping him next to the casters could grant him the benefit of her TP showers. I barely used him, but even in the final battle where I did, in hopes of doubling actions to get through that shield (that didn't happen), I can see his use.

Roland is terrific. He needs the Resurrection Earrings to really stretch his usefulness out, but he's very strong, can move very far, and can really do some cool things. I came to appreciate him a ton. My favorite set-up with Anna is the two Red items. It allows her to comfortably solo and go out on sorties away from a lot of back-up (though she obviously pairs up wonderfully well with Milo, who I double up with Evasion Bands like Groma for obvious reasons, both Milo and Groma being personal and consistent units of mine. Dodge tanks are better than Defense Tanks).

Geela's Auto-Life Spell is costly but so useful. She's otherwise a decent healer but the other Healer is really good, especially once you get just how Regen works and how to apply it. That she super-charges health bars is great, and made even more easier to accomplish since she acquires TP when not moving. Geela is great for a mobile fight, Other Healer is great when taking a defensive line. Magic Bands and either HP or Speed was what they got. Maybe Resurrection Earrings if I wasn't sure about their defense.

Erador and Flanagan are both solid units. Flanagan became far more impressive with the Black Anklet, the one that damages you, and a Strength Bracelet, if I didn't double him up with the Regen-bracelet. Nothing hurts them, but once you empower them into throwing out solid hits they become great.

Fire archer is my least favorite archer in the end. Sure she can go twice, but you lose a turn activating it and she's rather weak even when boosted, and you'll often want the limited Strength Bands on better people. Her mobility is very impressive, but unlike with Milo and the unlock with Traverse (who subsequently is an excellent unit if TP-hungry for his better moves), you can't take an action after Leaping, it's free, but it's just movement. I regret not using Rudolf more. He's very strong, but his range leaves something to be desired. Your best "close-range" archer though, which isn't something archers should do. Still he has a good range of skills from a Push, to Sleep, plus the trap. Like most people I love Archibald and Hughette for different reasons. Both are great.

I wish I had used casters more, but unless you've got them paired with Julio or are stuffing them with Medina, losing a turn to get TP ends up being too costly. It's why Fred is good and Corentin even better. Still, they've got their role.

Jens is great but somewhat niche, I took him wherever I could though because his gimmick never gets old. I also cheesed the Wolffort Town maps with ladders and archers, but it's also kinda hilarious. Piccoletta I almost never used, but the few times I did, I can see her deal and it's not bad. Stronger items makes her deal some pretty consistent damage and Decoy is very useful even if it dies immediately. On turn economy she rules. I wish I had used Travis more. I don't quite get how toss works, he doesn't seem to throw people off of ledges which is disappointing. He's just a bit strong with weak defense. I'm sure you can get something out of him. Lionel I never used. I never saw his point aside from Mage trapping and fine, I guess, but there are much better people out there for that, and you can usually eat ONE spell and live. I'd have to try to use him next time.

As for the 3 Conviction characters? I genuinely like Giovanna, her movement is great and it does take set-up and the right map, but her skills are useful. She's niche. If you boost her strength a bit, she makes a decent sidekick to Hossabara, who is one of my favorite units just for her sheer physicality. Decimal is also great and probably broken. He's never not useful, but using him makes fights play-out in similar ways. Battery him up, protect the position and just let him wreck. I've never not hit someone with him. Quahog I still don't understand. His one damaging spell is pretty handy and his non-healing healing spells are great. He clearly has uses that I haven't exploited fully.

In the future I'd like to use Julio more offensively since he actually is good, but is so often made into a crucial but bland TP Battery. I need to also use Piccoletta, Quahog, Benedict, and especially Lionel more.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Quahog I still don't understand. His one damaging spell is pretty handy and his non-healing healing spells are great. He clearly has uses that I haven't exploited fully.

Cackling

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Because I'm obsessive I made saves at some of the major turning points and set pieces to replay them when I want. And I decided to test out my By Nation armies.

Hyzante is a really fun long-distance squad to use. You don't have an real heavy hitters and 0 walls. Anna and Milo have great synergy and can usually run around autonomously striking down small outfits, especially with their Evasion boosted. With all but one mage (Frederica) you just sit back and sling spells, since Medina can keep them all running for days. You can break the game using Quahog and Ezana, or more reasonably use Decimal and Archibald to get the far targets while the mages get the close ones. Corentin is the playmaker. Using Ice Wall you can dictate how and when enemies get close before Ezana and Narve fry them. Geela is there in case of emergencies, but I prefer to get her to Auto-Life everyone since everyone is pretty fragile.

Aesfrost seemed like it'd be a hard one to handle, but you got the best wall, Flanagan and best dodge tank, Groma, and credit where it's due Mage Tank in Lionel, in the game along with the Final Character, who is just capable of wiping the board clean on their own. Rudolf and Frederica provide very strong ranged back-up (Fred's pretty self-reliant with her TP too). The two surprises in usefulness were Piccoletta with her Decoy, another defensive wonder, and in the mean time you can use her for item healing alongside Giovanna whose range of movement lets her get anywhere, with the occasional useful spell, terrain allowing. Pretty much you keep enemies distracted by the tanks, FC and the ranged contingent clean up and your two support units keep everyone topped off.

Glenbrook is tough because there are only 5, but you could hardly ask for a better 5 man squad. Your two offensive units, Roland and a Secret Character, have similar capabilities and are both terrifyingly strong. They can run in and out and hit hard. Regen-Healer keeps everyone going, and is the best healer in the game. Julio can be a 3rd soldier, with sturdy defense if need be, or can top off the healer if they're on the run, so she can super-charge health bars, which with this team is very important since they are defensively a bit weak. Add in Hughette, who keeps enemies blinded, and is capable of flying out of range, and you can nearly beat battles with just her (though it takes time). You can and will get mobbed, but with a few lucky turns, once you start wiping the enemy out it's really quite fun. A one man choke-point is best so Julio can hold it with healer behind him, while the two knights go do hit 'n runs alongside Hughette.

Wolffort is perhaps unsurprisingly sturdy power all throughout. Serenoa, Hossabara, and Travis are power-houses with a fair amount of defense. Combined with Erador's wall, they can advance pretty safely. Trish adds ranged support, always helpful, and Benedict is your healer, when he's not using his great moves. Jens also fills in that role, while hitting hard and depending on the map, ruining the enemy.

All 4 work pretty well on their own!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Regy Rusty posted:

I personally don't think it takes too long setting things up at all. It introduces the characters and setting and then things kick off chapter four. I'd say only chapter 3 is a little extraneous.

I don't mind the slow start but the first couple of battles were pretty boring. I definitely did put it down a few times. Chapter 6's fight isn't really complex or anything, but I had a lot of fun and it sold me on the game.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just got my first ending and can finally get into the meat of the branching paths. But, lol. I tried to be as humanitarianly pragmatic as possible and ended up with the capitalist, wealth-gap ending? WTF game?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

AlternateNu posted:

I just got my first ending and can finally get into the meat of the branching paths. But, lol. I tried to be as humanitarianly pragmatic as possible and ended up with the capitalist, wealth-gap ending? WTF game?

There's a good reason for it at least.

Benedict's plan gets the minimum standard for everyone, but what he suffers from is that he isn't ambitious enough.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/trst_pr/status/1605474401847193601?s=46&t=HBddvy0ZsYR29vqNWBAfKA

This game has sold over a million copies worldwide. Hell yeah!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Why do we get a picture of the royal family? Seems like an odd choice. Sure those are 3 of the best units you get but still.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Heya, got the game for Christmas to scratch my strategy itch and it's been fun so far, on Chapter 7 Part 1 after lobbying my party members to protect Roland instead of giving him up cause even if Aefrost are actually misunderstood, invading a country and killing the rulers is kiinda uncomfortable seeing current events.

The plot's been engaging so far, specially since I haven't been spoiled on it somehow. For now, I've gotten ice mage, wind mage, a 7 year old (?), an accountant who seems OP, the smithy and totally not Tressa from Octopath and wondering whose weapon to up a tier first with my quality iron I just got.

One question on the one small thing I got spoiled about : Besides feeling bad about it, using the secret Wolfort weapon only has a bad consequence in locking me out of the golden ending? Which I guess is not something to target on a first playthrough.

And finally, I understand it's because they're all optional and it'd be a mess developerwise... but Serenoa ranting about letting his people decide the course of action but only letting like 6 people vote... One day he's gonna find himself in the middle of a strike. Also when I'm recruiting the old guy given the smithy was (dont tell me, its a joke)

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

You're right about your one question. That map is definitely very hard on your first go. Once you retry it with a broader cast here are different ways to better manage the different choke points. When you upgrade weapons go for the units who are you heavy hitters or for upgrades that give you a benefit to a skill. Serenoa is always a safe bet to upgrade since he's almost always required in your ranks, but the choice is yours.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Biggest thing to remember. The old man may move slow, but he arrows like a loving truck.

Also Frederica rules. Now that I got a Deck I need to replay TS on it. Incredible game

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Fortunately, that map is also one of the few which turns out to be remarkably simple to cheese

Just put ladder guy in your party, move everyone to the rooftops, and leave someone blocking the ladder. Now all you have to worry about is archers, who are few enough that you can deal with them before too many of your characters are picked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Argue posted:

Fortunately, that map is also one of the few which turns out to be remarkably simple to cheese

Just put ladder guy in your party, move everyone to the rooftops, and leave someone blocking the ladder. Now all you have to worry about is archers, who are few enough that you can deal with them before too many of your characters are picked out.

I tried that, but magic not getting range boost from height kinda hosed me over since I went mixed and I'd have to make multiple stairs since rooftops are tiny.

That said I played terribly on my first attempt, ended up with enemies divided between the plaza and upper street, ice mage trying to block a chokepoint on the right (badly) and using all my traps... without hitting the general. Who I didn't realize was overlevelled and unbeatable.

Gotta try again with a different strat. Probably trigger the lower traps early with ranged units and then baiting everyone ok the upper street as the biggest trap.