Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Finished the game, 100% map completion and all side stories done. Game owned. Absolute mess in a lot of ways but I loved it.
I get that the bullet hell section was too hard for the lower difficulties but they could've just, like, given you more lives or given you checkpoints or something? I feel bad for the people who missed the actual final boss without realizing it.
Story was pretty solid as far as Sonic games go. It took itself seriously and had high stakes but it wasn't totally joyless like 06. It's neat that it ended with Sonic's friends all having grown a bit and deciding to go out on their own separate journeys. Really curious what that's gonna look like in the future.
The world-building with the Ancients was all really cool. I'm surprised though that we never really got any sort of explanation as to what The End is.
I'm glad Sage seemingly survived. :unsmith: Dad eggman ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The End is better off being a complete mystery. It's scarier that way.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Beat the for real super secret final boss. Honestly just really let down by the boss fights after island 2

Knight was cool but beat him remarkably easy. Supreme like... didn't do *anything*, just kind of died, I don't think the song even had lyrics. Then The End was just Ikaruga Lite which is cool but not how I want to finish a game like this :/.

Ending did make me sad and I like the story overall. Really needed more time in the oven but way better than I expected. Credits being a little girl singing about how she died sad and alone and wanted her dad is... a choice.

Edit: Yeah don't explain the final boss might have just been a purple talking space rock but was cooler that way in a 'oh what the gently caress is this poo poo

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Knight was cool but beat him remarkably easy. Supreme like... didn't do *anything*, just kind of died, I don't think the song even had lyrics..

Supreme does do some bullet attacks and the song lyrics start to kick in after he's below half health but both him and Knight have hilariously undertuned HP compared to what Super Sonic can dish out[

And yeah I agree that The End just being this unexplained inscrutable world destroyer is cool, I'm just surprised they went that route

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
beat the game today, absolutely kicks rear end

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i always believed in sonic

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

God drat I love Sonic Maurice Wachowski the Hedgehog.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Robotnik Nudes posted:

God drat I love Sonic Maurice Wachowski the Hedgehog.

Ogilvie.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
finished it and I feel like an old man yelling at the sky when the game has not one but two "last phase of the boss is a QTE type that's showing up for the first time right now, if you gently caress it up you have to do the whole fight over from the beginning"

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

You’re going straight to hell

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Cyberspace 4-1 smacks

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

WAIT IS BIG STILL TRAPPED ON THE ISLAND

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009
Nothing can trap Big, he goes where he pleases.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Big got there on his own and he'll leave when he's drat well ready.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Clearly Big was much too powerful to be contained in Cyberspace like the others

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
big the cat is the same as santa claus but with one small difference: he will stop at nothing to kill you

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Game is great. I'm sure I would hate it if I tried to do 100% completion but I'm a few hours in and it's a blast.

It's like they looked at BOTW and went "what if the puzzle and environmental design went in sync with the gameplay and strengths of the character rather than being actively hostile to them"

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I dunno if I agree with that. "solve a tile puzzle" "run in a circle" "hold the parry button" aren't exactly masterclasses in gameplay design, or have much to do with the games core competencies.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Game was fun. I’m two trophies away from the platinum. What’s a good way to activate phantom rush a bunch?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also what’s the minimum level you should ideally have your speed raised to (I was only at Lvl 8 when I got to the fourth island and didn’t have enough height to jump off the rail into the hoops when scaling the second tower)?

Or is it just a matter of timing your jump right as I literally never had to do that particular mechanic at any other point in the game?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 12, 2022

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

man nurse posted:

Game was fun. I’m two trophies away from the platinum. What’s a good way to activate phantom rush a bunch?

wail on an Asura's leg

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

man nurse posted:

The spring enemies on Ares are easy since they don't take damage from sonic boom or cross slash but will build the meter.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Motto posted:

The spring enemies on Ares are easy since they don't take damage from sonic boom or cross slash but will build the meter.

That did it. Platinum in the bag

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So if you need to farm items for upgrades what island has the easiest Big fishing spot to get to?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i bet you can beat the game with level 1 everything

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Looper posted:

i bet you can beat the game with level 1 everything

Then is there a trick to jumping off the edge of rails then? There’s a spot in the second tower of the fourth island where I can’t seem to get enough jump height to reach the hoops a little ways above it

Also there’s an achievement for maxing out everything

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Larryb posted:

So if you need to farm items for upgrades what island has the easiest Big fishing spot to get to?

The later islands give you more tokens per fish. The final island’s fishing is like 40-60 per catch. You will be flush in purple coins so it’s trivial to get more than you need of whatever resource you want.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Big the Cat is the key to everything

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

man nurse posted:

The later islands give you more tokens per fish. The final island’s fishing is like 40-60 per catch. You will be flush in purple coins so it’s trivial to get more than you need of whatever resource you want.

I meant which fishing spot can you reach the quickest?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Larryb posted:

Then is there a trick to jumping off the edge of rails then? There’s a spot in the second tower of the fourth island where I can’t seem to get enough jump height to reach the hoops a little ways above it

Also there’s an achievement for maxing out everything

i don't know but i believe in you, also who cares about achievements

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Larryb posted:

I meant which fishing spot can you reach the quickest?

They’re all pretty easy to get to. There’s a couple on the final island that are very easy to get to. Island 3’s location is like off on an isolated island right at the beginning.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Looper posted:

i don't know but i believe in you, also who cares about achievements

Your not a true fan unless you sit there and incrementally increase rings and speed to 99 one stat at a time

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I’m kinda okay with the jank? It feels faithful to classic 3d sonics, lol.

I wish it played better on Steam Deck.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

man nurse posted:

Your not a true fan unless you sit there and incrementally increase rings and speed to 99 one stat at a time

Oh I don’t care about 100%ing the game. I just wanted to build my speed up a bit more to get past a particularly annoying segment on the fourth island

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
whenever i replay the game i probably won't level attack at all in hopes it'll make boss fights last longer

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Larryb posted:

Oh I don’t care about 100%ing the game. I just wanted to build my speed up a bit more to get past a particularly annoying segment on the fourth island

i don't know what my speed was at that point but double jump + air boost was always enough to clear anything. watching a video could help though

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Looper posted:

i don't know what my speed was at that point but double jump + air boost was always enough to clear anything. watching a video could help though

I’ve tried but I can’t quite figure out the timing (it’s the tower where you have to jump off a rail at one point to reach some hoops far above you) any tips then?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If you want all of the hearts, medals, etc, do you need to gather them all manually, and are they needed for achievements?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

If you want all of the hearts, medals, etc, do you need to gather them all manually, and are they needed for achievements?

You need them to view all the “side stories” on each island, and again, if you don’t want to run around getting them one by one you can just get a ton at once from fishing. I don’t believe there is a finite amount per island, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Larryb posted:

I’ve tried but I can’t quite figure out the timing (it’s the tower where you have to jump off a rail at one point to reach some hoops far above you) any tips then?

is this the bit you mean?

i held boost on the rail, no manual jumping off, and flew into the hoops