Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
then you're good. only thing you need for menus in VR RSF at least is arrows keys+enter/esc. also controller triggers to position viewpoint/reset position tho I think its possible with keys.

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Nov 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Probably going to pull the trigger on a Trak Racer TR80 Lite with a GT Seat and a single fixed monitor mount. Will be getting, for now, a 34" ultrawide to start. This allows me to build a rig with a better monitor and not have to upgrade my GPU and PSU to be able to enjoy it. Trak Racer has a BF sale going on now, about 15% off stuff, so all told it will be under $900 for what I will be getting.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I just got a TR120 and I love it. I’d been on the fence for a bit but they got me with that 15% off everything deal.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

necrotic posted:

I just got a TR120 and I love it. I’d been on the fence for a bit but they got me with that 15% off everything deal.

What seat did you get?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I already had an NRG Prisma.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Homeless Friend posted:

You can but if you're saying you have no monitor at all I don't think you can boot into it, unless you can somehow pull off some true nerd poo poo. I'd just get a 10 dollar goodwill monitor to boot windows. btw if you have no vr headset to begin with, and you don't mind the wire, there are reverb g2's on ebay that I'm pretty sure are cosmetic defect/refurbs for like 200. i sidegraded to one of those suckers from a OQ2 and it kicks rear end, you can set it to default launch steamvr instead of windows bloated POS launcher.

How’s the FOV on those? The Rift I’ve been using is neat but it feels like I’m driving with binoculars.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Goddamn, I reinstalled Assetto Corsa and grabbed the RRS GT pack after watching Jimmy race the not-a-Viper for a bit, and holy hell these are fun to drive. Especially the not-a-Saleen, the Shadow.

I also missed the modability of AC. I had to uninstall AMS2 to make AC fit, and it's an absolutely wonderful sim but there's just something about a fully kitted AC install.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 11, 2022

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I've enjoyed all of the RaceSimStudio stuff I've bought, they do a really great job.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Space Camp fuckup posted:

How’s the FOV on those? The Rift I’ve been using is neat but it feels like I’m driving with binoculars.

for the low end you'll never escape the low fov, just paying for increasing pixels/better screens I think. most of the low end ones in the 90'ish horizontal fov range, give for take 5 or so. prob why index is popular with goons since if you had compatible base stations its only (lol) 500 dollars. think that one is a bit below 110 fov. then you really have to start shelling out serious cash for increases.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Reverb g2 is great and quite a few on the discord have them for iracing.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Fellblade posted:

Reverb g2 is great and quite a few on the discord have them for iracing.

I'm one of these people and I've been very happy with it. If it broke I would buy another.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have one too and love mine.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I have no prior experience in sim racing and got myself a G923 and Dirt Rally 2. I have a Vive VR set from years ago to. The experience is really cool but I'm extremely bad at it apparently. I can't make it past the first few turns in any course and I wish the game came with some kind of tutorial on how to turn / drift correctly. Are all these sim racing games hard to get in to?

Is there a better game that eases me into not sucking as much?

I knew I was going to be bad but holy poo poo

at least the truforce feeling of me hitting some concrete blocks is kinda sweet

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Practice makes perfect is basically the rule, there’s videos out there that explain the basics of car handling and racecar driving like Going Faster, but your best bet is just get more time in, you’ll improve and learn how everything works in time. There isn’t much point to dedicated sim racing tutorials when there’s a lot of great material out there about how to drive a racecar in general. Also slow down, in Dirt Rally especially at the early difficulty levels you’ll win rallies easily by just keeping the car on the track. This does go against everything you’ll have learned from other racing games about what speed looks like though so it takes some time to adjust. Going slow is a skill as well.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Mikojan posted:

I have no prior experience in sim racing and got myself a G923 and Dirt Rally 2. I have a Vive VR set from years ago to. The experience is really cool but I'm extremely bad at it apparently. I can't make it past the first few turns in any course and I wish the game came with some kind of tutorial on how to turn / drift correctly. Are all these sim racing games hard to get in to?

What always helped me getting started with Dirt Rally was to set speed targets for the whole stage, then once you've got comfortable pushing it to the highest average limit, then work on each sector. Probably applies well to other sims, finding a comfortable general top speed and making slight optimisations to improve it while finishing stages sounds good.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The best way to go fast on dirt is slow the gently caress down. Learn the stages, push a little faster, push a little faster.

This is the same for pavement racing too. You can jump in and do okay if you know the car well enough... But getting faster is all about learning the like and the track

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
The big thing I found with Dirt Rally 2 was that the FWD cars they give you at the beginning won’t turn at all unless you’re applying throttle throughout the corner. So that means you’ve got to slow down more than you’d think, get off the brakes after turn in and start applying a healthy amount of throttle to keep the front wheels pulling your car around the turn.

I will say that Richard Burns Rally has an incredible tutorial but no idea how easy it is to obtain that game nowadays.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Brownie posted:

I will say that Richard Burns Rally has an incredible tutorial but no idea how easy it is to obtain that game nowadays.

Easier than ever. Rallysimfans.hu is the gold standard right now, is has an installer that downloads the base game plus lots of mods.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bear in mind, rally racing is a uniquely difficult way to get into sim racing.

As has been said, slow down until you can complete a course, even if that means 20mph, then slowly add speed until you can complete the course faster without crashing

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

As has been said, slow down until you can complete a course, even if that means 20mph, then slowly add speed until you can complete the course faster without crashing

Indeed. For me, RBR’s school was the first time I was shown all the technique actually involved, and it was so exciting that it was actually the first sim I truly got into. Probably my #2 most played game.

Nothing else has clicked quite the same way since either. I should boot it up again sometime.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I actually DID start driving Dirt Rally 2 as my first sim-racing, and here's my advice:

Use the Lancia until you're comfortable with it (the historical rally lets you start with it), go slow, and every SINGLE time I have thought "I can put this into top gear" I have been wrong. You also do not need the handbrake as much as you might think you do.
And honestly turn off all the AI elements that aren't related to the car's performance - the time tracking and split times just make you want to push and drive faster than you're capable of. Turn 'em off, set your own pace. And the visual pacenotes too, or else you'll be splitting your attention with the road and the real skill you should start learning is hearing them and keeping them in order in your brain while still driving. It eventually becomes almost subconscious.

EDIT: Once I could stay on the road and finish legs, this gave me a lot to think about how to drive better, particularly weight balance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nYpugwNWNs

gently caress yeah, reinstalling DR2

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 12, 2022

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Also, RE: Rally - learn the pacenotes and what they mean. A left 4 over crest tightens is FUNDAMENTALLY different than a left 4. The advice to go through a stage slowly is good. I recommend turning off Visual Pacenotes and all the other visual distractions, but that's just me and some people prefer them. Do what you wish.

Other stuff:
* Turn off the traction control and stability assists. They make it hard/impossible to do proper rally driving. ABS is OK if you want, but I'd recommend that one off too. It's just not as critical as the other two are.
* Try to use manual sequential transmission (or full manual if you want, but it's harder to learn) rather than automatic because it'll help you quite a bit.
* Read This Website which has tips for real life rally driving. It's all pretty applicable for DR2.0 except for the "how to land from jumps" part and the how to go through water part since the physics aren't simulated to that level of detail in DR2.0
* Tarmac physics in DR2.0 are weird. Not much you can do about that, it'll always feel floaty
* Set your wheel Degrees of Rotation to 540 in the wheel's control panel. Soft Lock in the game doesn't work super well.

If you're interested, I post my runs for my league as well as some time trials, and they may help you get some idea of how to turn. My inputs are shown in the lower right. This isn't monetized and I'm not trying to build a channel, it's just for friends mostly, but maybe it'll help a bit. Here's one video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7De5l176ok

Good luck! It's a lot of fun!

ssb fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 12, 2022

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Thanks for all the advice! I’ll really get down to basics and turtle my way through.
Excited to get into this!

That speed looks terrifying. Really nice to see the wheel inputs, thanks!

Mikojan fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 12, 2022

fart_man_69
May 18, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Personally I always found track racing more difficult and frustrating, since a single spin will ruin your race and race cars just feel harder to drive. Whereas rallying (at least Dirt Rally) is pretty forgiving and it's much easier to just wing it without knowing the track or the car.

Nthing the recommendation to go slow. Braking earlier and harder than I needed to enabled me to consistently finish stages in Dirt Rally. You'll quickly get better at the game when you're not crashing out all the time.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Slow is smooth is fast.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Has there been any word on fanatecs Black Friday sale this year?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Has there been any word on fanatecs Black Friday sale this year?

Can't have sales if nothing is in stock I guess.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lol that’s true

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Their black Friday sales are usually whatever's in the warehouse that they want to get rid of.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

My TR80 was delivered today, my my that’s a lot of boxes. Already made my first mistake with the T nuts but it was early on and it should be a smooth build from here on out.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Anyone who is playing Assetto Corsa in VR on a non-oculus headset you should check this out. I tried it on my reverb g2 last night and performance improved and visual quality vastly improved.

https://youtu.be/LJ8ZyfjjBlc

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Hi racing thread, I hope you don't mind a filthy casual popping in to ask a quickie about wheels. I've only ever used a controller and am eyeballing the G29 (on sale for $200 currently), the reviews are pretty mixed though. This is really only for stuff like Wreckfest and BeamNG (and Euro Truck). Maybe one day I'll graduate to AC but I'll never go as far as iRacing. My question is, is $200 for a G29 a big enough jump in quality for strictly casual Video Game Racing to be worth it over the POS Babby's First Wheels you can get for $75?

Also I have only one desk, how much of a pain in the rear end is it to place/remove the wheel for short DRIVING WHEEEEEEE sessions, or should I just stick with a controller

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Eric the Mauve posted:

Hi racing thread, I hope you don't mind a filthy casual popping in to ask a quickie about wheels. I've only ever used a controller and am eyeballing the G29 (on sale for $200 currently), the reviews are pretty mixed though. This is really only for stuff like Wreckfest and BeamNG (and Euro Truck). Maybe one day I'll graduate to AC but I'll never go as far as iRacing. My question is, is $200 for a G29 a big enough jump in quality for strictly casual Video Game Racing to be worth it over the POS Babby's First Wheels you can get for $75?

Also I have only one desk, how much of a pain in the rear end is it to place/remove the wheel for short DRIVING WHEEEEEEE sessions, or should I just stick with a controller

The G29 works fine simply clamped to a desk, which takes less than a minute to do or undo.

I can't speak for Wreckfest, but I do enjoy using a wheel with Euro Truck, as well as with "sim-lite" titles such as GRID Autosport. $200 is about what I paid for my G27 eight years ago, and if you're interested enough in wheels to want to buy a wheel, then it is a perfectly fine entry-level wheel, which frankly you could use without issue in even the simmiest of sims (where upgrading pedals matters far more than upgrading the wheel). And if you decide you don't like it, then you can easily unload it; sim racing is a niche genre and it's easy to dump off used gear at a reasonable price.

:getin:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Hi, I'm one of the people that isn't hyperbolistic about gear. The G29 is really very good and you'll have a lot of fun with it in those games and it also lets you do the most serious sim stuff you could want to do in the future. The biggest difference between the g29 and anything cheaper (didn't know there was anything cheaper) is going to be the build quality, not futzing around with software as much (every single sim thing has bad software anyways), and the quality of the feedback. You're going to really love it and it's so fast to set up and put away that I have no trouble recommending it to someone who is more casual about things.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

The G29 is perfect for getting your feet wet, go for it.

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
Anyone have opinions or reviews of MotoGP 2022 or Ride 4? They're both on sale and I've wanted to try a motorcycle game for when I'm too beat to fire up the wheel, and I think motorcycling will be neat. Just need to pick one of these two and have no idea what to look for in a moto game. I don't really have any connection to the MotoGP grid so having the riders is moot, but I'm sure MotoGP also has a more built out championship mode and what not.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I have played none of them but also consider trackdayR and GP bikes - I play mx bikes which is a sibling of gp bikes and it's pretty good.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

All I know about Ride 4 is that it has that super incredible looking replay mode that at lower screen resolutions, makes the game look ultra life like and like you are watching footage through a phone camera.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Eric the Mauve posted:

G29 is fine to start with and to continue with for a long time. I used a G27 for years before rapidly escalating to a Simucube 2 and such.

The $75 or cheaper ones are generally hot garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
I went with Ride 4 for bike variety and have been loving it, its actually pulled me away from iRacing (until I get frustrated from crashing for the 50th time). Bit of a learning curve but very satisfying once you get the hang of it, highly recommend for the current price.