Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If you're just dumping stuff on a drive for cold storage and not going to be working from it, I would strongly strongly recommend leaving it as ExFAT in case you ever want to go back to windows. I know you can get Paragon but it just saves you a few bucks. Being able to swap your big drives between Mac and Windows without worrying about their format is nice.

The G-Drives I have all have USB-C and Thunderbolt on them but as powderific says, you're going to be hitting around 250MB/s most of the time so it doesn't really matter if you're using a Thunderbolt cable or not.

e: although being able to daisy-chain TB drives is super useful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Longshot, but if anyone here has both Parallels and an affinity for 90s Japanese Strategy RPGs, I'd really appreciate if you found out if you can run Tactics Ogre Reborn on Apple silicon

Edit: is Parallels the only way to play PC games on Mac? I feel like there are other ones, too. Maybe ones that don't require a subscription?

anothergod fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Nov 11, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

anothergod posted:

Longshot, but if anyone here has both Parallels and an affinity for 90s Japanese Strategy RPGs, I'd really appreciate if you found out if you can run Tactics Ogre Reborn on Apple silicon

I really really can't imagine it would have any issues. The game isn't taxing like at all from what people have shown.

I think the steam deck only pulls 9w running it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
You’d be surprised. I haven’t played it but one of my favourite games, the tactical rpg Battle Brothers is also not at all demanding but it has some minor visual glitches running under parallels. Still easily playable though. Just a bit annoying.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Thanks everyone for the drive suggestions, probably going with the GDrive but will most likely format it to be cross compatible.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

T Zero posted:

My 2013 i7 MB Air started getting kernel panic attacks lately, so I'm taking that as a hint to upgrade.

I know the OP says to just buy now if you need it, but I'm wondering if it's worth holding out for black Friday to see if Apple will throw in any gift cards or accessories. I do still have my work laptop and another windows laptop, so it's not super urgent.

Also my credit card offers an extended warranty (it doubles the manufacturer's warranty), so I'd like to know if Apple Care is still worth it.

I've got my eye on an M2 Macbook Air, though I expect to spring for more ram and disc space.

Well, I just reinstalled my OS and it solved my stability issue, so my 9 year old macbook has a new lease on life. Those cupertino kids sure know how to build a laptop.

It has zero trade-in value, so I'm going to try to run it until the wheels fall off. The battery only holds a charge for two hours and the hinge is kinda floppy, but otherwise still works. It's running Mojave though.

I'm still going to buy the new M2 air, but I can afford to wait.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Man. I'm going back and forth.

I do not need a new laptop. My 2020 Air still ticks along just fine. Except, I can feel it lagging. It takes a little while to launch apps like Discord (which is entirely because of loving Electron but still that's an app I Use). Some YouTube videos make the fans spin up. I do not need a new laptop. I want to need a new laptop.

I'm eying up a midrange M1 Pro. I'm kinda iffy on spending the very big bucks because frankly I could make do easily with an M2 Air but I'm only looking at the Pros because once you spec an Air up to 16/512 it's like £1750 and at that point it's not a very big leap to the Pros and also there's a refurb deal on a 10-core/1TB Pro for £2049, which, I mean, yeah, that's not too far off what I worked myself into being willing to part with for the base model. It's not like I have no use for the extra cores, and also I do have two monitors so that's a concern too.

But I don't need it.

But also. The M2 Pros have a nonzero chance of carrying a price rise. It would be in keeping with how things are going lately. A ton of Apple prices have gone up. Obviously the M2 Pro/Max are gonna be better but based on the M2 vanilla not very much better, and there'll probably be a price rise and unlike with the Air I don't see the M1 family versions sticking around to pad out the lineup, not when the M2-non-Pro-Pro still exists. So I have to think that no matter how long I wait we're looking at that 10-core refurb. And I don't see the price on that changing, except when it changes to nothing due to going out of stock. So I should probably just buy it. It's either that or spend another (time until the M3 Pro/Max drops) with this bullshit kicking around my head.

I hate liking computers sometimes.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
My personal opinion is if you’ve got an intel Mac it’s perfectly reasonable to upgrade without feeling guilty.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

T Zero posted:

Well, I just reinstalled my OS and it solved my stability issue, so my 9 year old macbook has a new lease on life. Those cupertino kids sure know how to build a laptop.

It has zero trade-in value, so I'm going to try to run it until the wheels fall off. The battery only holds a charge for two hours and the hinge is kinda floppy, but otherwise still works. It's running Mojave though.

I'm still going to buy the new M2 air, but I can afford to wait.

It can probably run Ventura with OpenCore

https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/VENTURA-DROP.html

I’m using that to run Ventura on an unsupported 2013 iMac and it works fantastic

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Fedule posted:

I'm eying up a midrange M1 Pro. I'm kinda iffy on spending the very big bucks because frankly I could make do easily with an M2 Air but I'm only looking at the Pros because once you spec an Air up to 16/512 it's like £1750 and at that point it's not a very big leap to the Pros

This is what I did, a base M1 pro with 16/512 worked out cheaper than an equivalent M2 Air. I'm not sure about UK prices but the pro had much better prices if I avoided the apple store. (just looked and both Amazon and John Lewis are £1700ish for a 14 Pro)

An Air would have been fine I'm sure but the Pro has been excellent, and it does have a better screen and speakers as well as the extra power.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Yeah I bought the base 14" Pro from Costco for £1690 3 months ago. Comes with a 2 year warranty. Costco also has a 90 day returns policy too which meant if they'd released the M2 as expected in October I could have returned it and got that if it had been worth it.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

512GB ought to be enough for anyone

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

I upgraded my 2012 rMBP to Ventura with the help of OpenCore. Everything seems to work fine.

Unrelated but the screen hardware/connector is busted (every 8th line seems to be black, so the screen looks like an interlaced command and conquer FMV cutscene).

I don't really know why I bothered since I've literally been using it as a coaster. But I guess I could use it to run Xcode builds.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It can probably run Ventura with OpenCore

https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/VENTURA-DROP.html

I’m using that to run Ventura on an unsupported 2013 iMac and it works fantastic

Totally concur re: OCLP. Currently running Ventura 13.0.1 on a Late 2012 iMac like it was officially supported.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

Escape Goat posted:

I upgraded my 2012 rMBP to Ventura with the help of OpenCore. Everything seems to work fine.

Hello fellow busted 2012 rMBP owner! I have one on Mavericks using OCLP. For the Ventura upgrade, do I need to make a new install disk or is it possible to do OTA?

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

DashingGentleman posted:

Hello fellow busted 2012 rMBP owner! I have one on Mavericks using OCLP. For the Ventura upgrade, do I need to make a new install disk or is it possible to do OTA?

I might be over-conservative here, but I would upgrade to the latest version of macOS officially supported by your hardware BEFORE doing an OCLP upgrade to Ventura.

It was recommended that my 2012 iMac had previously been on a fully upgraded version of Catalina before using OCLP (which it was - 10.15.7) and I've had no issues installing Big Sur, Monterey, and now Ventura.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

It's better if you upgrade to the latest OS that Apple supports on the machine as OCLP will have less to patch.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Amazon was selling the base 16” MBP (2021 M1) for $2099 in its early October sale event. That’s a $400 discount from full price. I don’t remember the base 14” price at the time but it had a good discount too. The upgraded ones were also on sale but the discount was smaller.

TLDR: Buy the MacBook Pro M1 of your choice when it goes on sale. Don’t wait for the M2 unless you like waiting and spending more money for marginally better performance.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The M2 upgrade doesn’t seem that impressive might as well wait for the M3

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

hatty posted:

The M2 upgrade doesn’t seem that impressive might as well wait for the M3

All the purported hardware timeline leaks have named M3 as the first major leap, IIRC they’re on track to go to a smaller process then so it makes sense

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm keeping my 2018 MacBook Pro until I can replace it with a 14" OLED/MiniLED MacBook Pro :colbert:

It'll be fun replacing my aging MacBook with a 10/12-core laptop that's faster than my home server.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Lord help me I went for it. I was weak. *sobbing*

At least I used the refurb store. Deals are approximately on par with the Amazon ones I've seen only there's more models to choose from.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I'm considering getting a cheap used/refurb mac mini to use as poor man's NAS to replace my poorer man's setup where I have an external drive shared from a Raspberri Pi and another external drive hooked up to my laptop for Backblaze backups; I'm running out of space and am thinking I could set up my handful of external drives in a JBOD configuration on a mini. Eventually I will replace the setup with a proper NAS, but at the moment this seems like a much more cost-effective setup, especially considering how dirt cheap an old Intel Mac Mini can be.

Which brings me to my questions - seems like there are plenty of 2012 Minis going for around $100 on Ebay. I recognize they will all be slow as hell and max out at os 10.13, but this will basically just be a local file server (Plex server lives on my Nvidea Shield and I don't run into issues with direct playback from the file share on my Pi). Is there another caveat I'm not thinking of? And any recommendations for other online stores that traffic in refurb/refreshed mac stuff?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I'm considering getting a cheap used/refurb mac mini to use as poor man's NAS to replace my poorer man's setup where I have an external drive shared from a Raspberri Pi and another external drive hooked up to my laptop for Backblaze backups; I'm running out of space and am thinking I could set up my handful of external drives in a JBOD configuration on a mini. Eventually I will replace the setup with a proper NAS, but at the moment this seems like a much more cost-effective setup, especially considering how dirt cheap an old Intel Mac Mini can be.

Which brings me to my questions - seems like there are plenty of 2012 Minis going for around $100 on Ebay. I recognize they will all be slow as hell and max out at os 10.13, but this will basically just be a local file server (Plex server lives on my Nvidea Shield and I don't run into issues with direct playback from the file share on my Pi). Is there another caveat I'm not thinking of? And any recommendations for other online stores that traffic in refurb/refreshed mac stuff?

don’t get an Intel Mini, IMO. You might be able to get a new base M1 from places like Costco for <$600 during Black Friday, and you can get them used for ~$500.

Honestly, I’d get a used eBay special USFF office PC for $100-200 that I could slap a bunch of SSD/NVMe storage into before I got an Intel Mini.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

don’t get an Intel Mini, IMO. You might be able to get a new base M1 from places like Costco for <$600 during Black Friday, and you can get them used for ~$500.

Honestly, I’d get a used eBay special USFF office PC for $100-200 that I could slap a bunch of SSD/NVMe storage into before I got an Intel Mini.

any reason in particular that an intel mini is a bad idea for a file share? it's replacing a Pi so speed isn't really a concern.
hypothetically if I settle on $1-200 as my price point, a used base M1, while a better value, is going to be more power than I need at 5x the price.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Puppy Galaxy posted:

any reason in particular that an intel mini is a bad idea for a file share? it's replacing a Pi so speed isn't really a concern.
hypothetically if I settle on $1-200 as my price point, a used base M1, while a better value, is going to be more power than I need at 5x the price.

Any Intel Mini that you get for <$300-400 is gonna have a slow-as-balls HDD as its boot drive, and it’s gonna be a pain and additional expense to upgrade it.

A $100 Dell Optiplex will let you pop it open and swap out storage components with off-the-shelf parts much more easily and affordably. If you get something SFF as opposed to USFF, you can cram it full of SATA SSDs and/or PCIe NVMe drives.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I've been using a quad 2012 mini as a pfSense router and it's worked ok for me; only thing to watch for on the 2012s are: only 802.11n for WiFi and limited RAM upgrade ability (only 16 GB)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’d say don’t use a mini. Just get a small PC and run unraid on it. That way you can keep throwing drives at it and make a share as large as you want. Also, you’re not trying to build a file server out of a High Sierra machine

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

binarysmurf posted:

I might be over-conservative here, but I would upgrade to the latest version of macOS officially supported by your hardware BEFORE doing an OCLP upgrade to Ventura.

It was recommended that my 2012 iMac had previously been on a fully upgraded version of Catalina before using OCLP (which it was - 10.15.7) and I've had no issues installing Big Sur, Monterey, and now Ventura.

I goofed - I meant my MacBook was already on Monterey, not Mavericks. (The big cat naming was better). Thanks for the advice anyway!

I went ahead, installed OCLP 0.51 and did an App Store update to Ventura. It went OK but some hiccup with installing the post-install patches meant that the laptop would get stuck when trying to log in. Had to boot in safe mode, re-apply the root patches and it’s all good now. Setting up OCLP the first time was an “it just works” experience, and I’ve not seen the issue reported anywhere, so probably just unlucky.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I'm in Australia. Two weeks ago I opened my macbook and the screen was cracked and broken. I took it to an "Authorized Reseller" store because there are no real apple stores in my state.

They told me I needed to remove the 'find my mac' function which I did. They even asked me to write down my username and password. Two weeks of calls to the store every few days and they still say they cannot work on it because they cannot remove the 'find my mac' function. They told me to call apple and so I did and eventually got told the store needed to raise an 'escalation'. I called the store and they said they already have (the guy at apple said the store's phone number didn't work).

Now I called the store today and they said no one at Apple can help them and that apple keeps closing their requests. Today the store said he was going to try to to remove me from my Apple One Family, but nothing came of it. I may have got some of their terminology wrong because honestly I feel like I am having to somehow fix apple's systems for them. Is there anyway to contact someone at apple that knows what they are doing and can fix the system so they can work on my computer? The computer has Applecare+ on it if that helps.

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Nov 15, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I'm in Australia. Two weeks ago I opened my macbook and the screen was cracked and broken. I took it to an "Authorized Reseller" store because there are no real apple stores in my state.

They told me I needed to remove the 'find my mac' function which I did. They even asked me to write down my username and password. Two weeks of calls to the store every few days and they still say they cannot work on it because they cannot remove the 'find my mac' function. They told me to call apple and so I did and eventually got told the store needed to raise an 'escalation'. I called the store and they said they already have (the guy at apple said the store's phone number didn't work).

Now I called the store today and they said no one at Apple can help them and that apple keeps closing their requests. Today the store said he was going to try to to remove me from my Apple One Family, but nothing came of it. I may have got some of their terminology wrong because honestly I feel like I am having to somehow fix apple's systems for them. Is there anyway to contact someone at apple that knows what they are doing and can fix the system so they can work on my computer? The computer has Applecare+ on it if that helps.

I think your next step is to personally escalate this with Apple Support/AppleCare yourself.

Politely but firmly explain what’s been happening for the past several weeks and insist that you want Apple themselves to take your computer and either repair it or replace it.

Insist that you have been working on this for two weeks and that you would like to be escalated to somebody in management who can resolve this for you directly.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s very weird that they want your username and password. Just removing find my Mac should be all they need

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I would not trust a repair shop that needs my username and password to fix a broken screen.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FCKGW posted:

I would not trust a repair shop that needs my username and password to fix a broken screen.

Yeah hell na to that

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I got my 14book. It's so fast. Also the back of the display assembly is... so smooth? I can't stop touching it. I'm kinda creeping myself out.

Also, since when was Sonumi back as a system alert sound? Why was that not a headline in one of the rounded rectangle recap roundups in whichever macOS release it was? Why does nobody tell me anything?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Because self-discovery is the best?

Congrats, did you get Pro or Max? 16 GB, surely

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

FCKGW posted:

you have to run software to authorize replacement parts on mac. you can't just swap out the component while the device is turned off and then turn it back on again

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Binary Badger posted:

Because self-discovery is the best?

Congrats, did you get Pro or Max? 16 GB, surely

I hilariously do not need a Max. Maybe if I was pointlessly rich. I actually am planning on maybe using this for some video work but the media engine in the Pro is more than up to that task, especially since I'm not working in 4K, and hell even if I was from what I hear it's still got it. I actually did spring for the RAM upgrade though, both for hypothetical video purposes and because I kinda wanna maybe do some Actual Software Development on this thing and also because no seriously this time this is gonna be a Five Year Laptop (all my other laptops have been Five Year Laptops, it's just, the Intel Air doesn't count because I don't think anybody expected Apple Silicon to be such a slam dunk) so something in service of future proofing seemed warranted, and the Max probably wouldn't help much with that. All told 10/16 core, 1TB, 32GB, £2350 in the refurb joint. Also I'll claw back £300 from the Air, which I think is frankly a ripoff from Apple's perspective, but hey.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Fedule posted:

I hilariously do not need a Max. Maybe if I was pointlessly rich. I actually am planning on maybe using this for some video work but the media engine in the Pro is more than up to that task, especially since I'm not working in 4K, and hell even if I was from what I hear it's still got it. I actually did spring for the RAM upgrade though, both for hypothetical video purposes and because I kinda wanna maybe do some Actual Software Development on this thing and also because no seriously this time this is gonna be a Five Year Laptop (all my other laptops have been Five Year Laptops, it's just, the Intel Air doesn't count because I don't think anybody expected Apple Silicon to be such a slam dunk) so something in service of future proofing seemed warranted, and the Max probably wouldn't help much with that. All told 10/16 core, 1TB, 32GB, £2350 in the refurb joint. Also I'll claw back £300 from the Air, which I think is frankly a ripoff from Apple's perspective, but hey.

shoulda sold the Air on SAMart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Work is finally refreshing my aging 2017 MBP with a dying battery to an M1 Max after I refused to take a 2019 16-inch back in March. Gonna be worth the wait.