Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

it was definitely carrying crew. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Mod note: Someone absolutely very much obviously dies in this clip. Very possibly multiple somebodys. Please do not watch this unless you are comfortable with that.

Looks like it was this B-17? Dunno about the other plane.

https://b17texasraiders.org/

Looks like the fighter pilot lost sight of the B-17?

Rip Testes fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 13, 2022

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Mod note: Someone absolutely very much obviously dies in this clip. Very possibly multiple somebodys. Please do not watch this unless you are comfortable with that.

Another angle

https://twitter.com/davidsfox4/status/1591522623376211968?s=46&t=sR-bWNcMcUtODjgfZMZMMQ

That’s Texas Raiders, flown by the CAF. I’ve seen it fly plenty of times at Wings Over Houston.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 13, 2022

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
gently caress, that's crazy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Holy poo poo, someone caught the moment after collision in a zoomed photo

:nms:

Just awful :smith:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

gently caress :(

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Just came here to post this. The FAA says the other plane was a P-63 King Cobra?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Nebakenezzer posted:

Just came here to post this. The FAA says the other plane was a P-63 King Cobra?

ADSB confirms it. I think there's only 3 -63's and 9 -17s airworthy now :(

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I stopped going to air shows because I figured it was only a matter of time until I saw some people die. Now I can go back! Thanks Twitter!

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Tragedy.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Holy gently caress

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
😟

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Nebakenezzer posted:

Speaking of 747s, I tried to find out what happened to that zero hours 747-8i the Saudis let sit for a decade, but I've not had much luck.
Looks like they moved it to Pinal Airpark in April

https://www.planespotters.net/airframe/boeing-747-8-n458bj-boeing/ey1q1d

it's being scrapped...

https://www.news18.com/news/buzz/saudi-princes-rs-2254-crore-boeing-747-is-being-scrapped-after-sitting-idle-for-10-years-5114689.html

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
gently caress that’s brutal. Heard something about a crash in Dallas at work but didn’t know anything about it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hooly poo poo I head something about a crash at the air show and these do happen semi-regularly but that's way worse than I could imagine. Fuuuuuuck

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011
Horrific.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I don't know how the FAA doesn't respond to this with extra restriction on warbird air show flights.

Thankfully everything fell inside the airport campus.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Yeah, I’m no expert at air shows. But I’ve been a part of combining several military aircraft over a piece of real estate and we always went with at least 2 of these: time, lateral, or altitude separation. Having all three was vastly preferred.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Hi, friendly neighborhood mod here. I'm sure there's gonna be discussion of this for a bit and I'm sure I'll be reading about it too because god drat that sucks all around. I'm just here to remind you of basic rules. Please do not inline gore and use your best judgement when linking to something that very blatantly features someone dying. Use spoiler tags, content warnings, :nms: as appropriate. Ya'll have already been good about it, so thank you for that.

Now Imma go hit erase on the brain recorder because holy gently caress I did not need to see that today.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I hate this and it is a tragedy, but I’m also a goon so: Aeronautical Insanity: Controlled Flight Into Plane

I am sincerely sorry.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Ok I've been seeing this rule enforced for a bit now (no specific forums or superstar posters mentioned starting the drama as a debate tactic in order to stop other forums from posting things they don't like), but

I'm pointing out 9/11 video is now also banned from being posted untagged.
Are we all in agreement people on SA needs content warnings for that now?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Not everyone is unphased by watching people dying, so it's best to just point it out that someone is dying in something you post.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I mean first off I think there's a pretty big difference between a major act of political violence, on such a large scale that the human toll is barely comprehensible, broadcast live on cable, that's already had all tragedy squeezed from it over 20 years of using it to justify *waves at the Everything*, versus an accident that just happened and shows a very clear violent end of just a few people.

Second, I'm pretty sure tagging visceral things like images of people jumping from the towers is worth being warned about even on these dead gay comedy forums, in a way that's very different from a wide cinematic shot of the towers smoking.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Warbird posted:

I hate this and it is a tragedy, but I’m also a goon so: Aeronautical Insanity: Controlled Flight Into Plane

I am sincerely sorry.

:captainpop:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Alright, I can adapt. It'll be ironic, is all

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

It's not like the video auto plays and I don't think it needs to be explained that people more often than not perish in aviation disasters.

Not trying to mod sass and I'm sorry it ruined your evening but I feel in this thread it's more of a caveat emptor situation when viewing crashes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Controlled Flight Into Moral Discussion

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Breaking news: website culture changes over the course of decades as its userbase ages and moves beyond lol-nothing-matters irony poisoning.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Ok I've been seeing this rule enforced for a bit now (no specific forums or superstar posters mentioned starting the drama as a debate tactic in order to stop other forums from posting things they don't like), but

I'm pointing out 9/11 video is now also banned from being posted untagged.
Are we all in agreement people on SA needs content warnings for that now?

If you want to turn this into a referendum on cspam and gbs, you can take it to qcs instead. I have 0 interest in dealing with that poo poo.

As for tagging poo poo where people very blatantly get turned into a greasy skidmark on a Texas runway and then set on fire? Yeah, that may not be the healthiest thing for someone to consume video of. Repeated viewings of humans dying has very much shown to have an effect on the human psyche. Again, use your best judgement when posting stuff is all I ask.

Edit: And for the record, I absolutely rough chuckled at that title change and agreed with chips and cat that we should do it.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 13, 2022

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

but elmnt i'm a fortysomething manchild who hasn't emotionally matured beyond my teenage years and i am BERY DISAPPOINTED that all of a sudeen these fuckiong SNOWFLAKES have ruined my little posting corner with their trashass SENSIBILITY and MATURITY (whatever THAT means :rolleye: ) whatever am i going to do now that i can't even look at a video of an airplane crash 343 bajillion times and be able to point and laugh as i count every last pixel of body parts and gore raining down on the ground :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq:

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

MrChips posted:

but elmnt i'm a fortysomething manchild who hasn't emotionally matured beyond my teenage years and i am BERY DISAPPOINTED that all of a sudeen these fuckiong SNOWFLAKES have ruined my little posting corner with their trashass SENSIBILITY and MATURITY (whatever THAT means :rolleye: ) whatever am i going to do now that i can't even look at a video of an airplane crash 343 bajillion times and be able to point and laugh as i count every last pixel of body parts and gore raining down on the ground :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq:

:yikes:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
nothing is lost by warning people what they would see before they click something, people can make their own decisions then.

No harm in respecting someone's desire to not see death, and it doesn't look like posting something newsworthy yet containing death is verboten, as long as its described and not inlined if needed. the thumbnails didn't give anything away so that seems just fine, just describe the content imo. i think that's a reasonable balance for newsworthy / on topic items, just ban anyone who doesn't grasp generally accepted standards of conduct

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I mean the tweets themselves also contained content warnings and the videos don’t autoplay, so :shrug:

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I mean the tweets themselves also contained content warnings and the videos don’t autoplay, so :shrug:

Yeah, that was my thought when I posted, but in hindsight I should've put a little more context up. My apologies to those caught unaware.

Horrible situation. It was such a deliberate manoeuver.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So there's a good chance my father had a Navy buddy on that B-17. He crewed one of their two B-17s, and we won't find out the manifest until the NTSB releases it. :smith:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I’m on the mailing list and they sent this out a bit ago. Nothing really new but there ya go.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Warbird posted:

I am sincerely sorry.

We all knew fresh warbird restrictions were inevitable after this.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
The amount of rules and restrictions that will get piled on will be sky-high.

I've been going to AirVenture since 2016 and I expect things to be wildly different this next year.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

At some point they'll just become uninsurable for prices beyond anyone short of a Bezos or a nation-state and that will be the end of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The Shoreham crash massively changed airshows in the UK, although the main impetus was the 11 ground fatalities, the majority of which had no connection to the airshow and were just passing by. It was luck yesterday's accident didn't have worse effects on the highway below. The biggest impact on post-Shoreham airshows, aside from a general increase in cost, has been the increased requirement for separation from crowds/urban development.