Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

NZAmoeba posted:

:ohdear:

we uhhh... kept the feet.

In our defence, this bathroom is upstairs and there was no safe way to get it down, the stairwell also has a 100+ year old stained glass window we didn't want to risk, let alone accidentally smashing a wall.

Well that's a bummer. With the various obstacles, it's still unforgivableunderstandable, I suppose. Some old tubs had to have been installed before the framing was complete.

My best friend and her dad got in a massive fight over a clawfoot tub - he was redoing the master bathroom and wanted to ditch the antique clawfoot tub. The house was built in the 80's and the tub had been installed during framing, so I think the problem with removing the tub in one piece was that they'd need to remove some door casing at the very least. Anyways her dad just wanted it gone so he was fine with cutting it up, but my friend wanted him to incorporate it into the new bathroom design or at least salvage it. I forgot the outcome, but I'm thinking it wasn't good.

Lately, I've been zeroed in on tub-moving because I'm considering how I'm going to get my own Art Deco corner tub out so I can get it properly restored (sandblasted and reglazed with real glass enamel baked on at 1400 degrees so it's good for another century, not slathered with noxious coating that will poison you with all the off-gassed VOCs and probably start failing after 3 years) and reinstall it in a future full bathroom in the basement.

Though the thing about my tub is that it's not original to the house (wrong period and it doesn't even fit), so I'm thinking if it was dragged up the stairs after the house was finished, it can be dragged back down. I figure I'll put some plywood over the window in the landing (which is supposed to be stained glass but alas) and protect the walls and balusters, or encapsulate the tub itself (which is what the movers did with our gargantuan Second Empire armoire when they moved it up the stairs).

Actually though, the tub that will replace the Art Deco one will most likely be a clawfoot (wouldn't be surprised if the Art Deco tub replaced a clawfoot), though an acrylic reproduction - cast iron clawfoot is not a good choice for the spot, which is partially in an oriel, due to being super heavy and putting all their weight on their little feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Anyone have a good recommendation for an inexpensive / comfy sofa appropriate for a basement TV room? I'd go with a simple IKEA but none are available within 1,000 miles so I'm trying to find something else without getting gouged. Should I just hit the furniture stores near me?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The style for this stuff is 'American Empire.' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Empire_style, and the Grecian subset of that style. It was popular in the 1840s/50s, and there was tons of it in nice houses in the antebellum south. The dresser is more Greek Revival in style, the table is a little more neoclassical Empire. Much of it was hand made in New York in early factories where one guy made drawers all day, another guy made the cases, another guy did the veneer. If you look around real hard there may be a label. Your great great great grandmother or w/e probably bought it in Memphis or New Orleans. It's all veneered in crotch mahogany, the dresser at least is pine as a secondary wood.

As far as value, I'm not suuuper into american empire and don't really keep up with it. It's not my taste, some people do like it, but there's not a huge market for it and it's not real popular atm, especially the dresser's curvy greek revival kind of style. The dresser has some veneer missing. That's not a hard repair, but it does hurt the value. I don't know where you're located, but around here on the Gulf Coast, maybe $4-600, but you might not get that? You could list it for higher and maybe you'd get it, but I'd be surprised. That kind of stuff shows up at estate sales around here all the time for $300 and somebody buys them. If you were comfortable repairing the veneer, that would definitely help.

The table is a prettier and more interesting imo. The veneer work looks great, the octagon shape is interesting, if it didn't have the little beaded mouldings on the base it could actually look really contemporary. Does the top open up for a leaf or it is solid? If solid it was probably a library table or in an entrance hall kind of place, not really a dining table. It could look really stunning if it were refinished, and the simpler look it has is kind of Biedermeier-ish and could do well in a more contemporary or midcentury style. If it were mine and had family history to it, I'd clean it up a bit and use it as a breakfast table or something. Value wise, again idk about condition or size, I'd think maaaaybe $1000-2000 retail. That may be ambitious, but it's a good looking table and it could really be pretty if it were polished up a bit.

Awesome thanks so much for all of this! I was visiting my mom this weekend and she swears my grandmother bought it in England but I've come to learn her viewpoint is not very trustworthy

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Tom Tucker posted:

Anyone have a good recommendation for an inexpensive / comfy sofa appropriate for a basement TV room? I'd go with a simple IKEA but none are available within 1,000 miles so I'm trying to find something else without getting gouged. Should I just hit the furniture stores near me?

Amazon Brand – Stone & Beam Bradbury Chesterfield Tufted Sofa Couch, 92.9"W, Navy https://a.co/d/2i5i6Z8

We bought this during prime day for like $700.00 and so far it's great for the price.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I want a nice long comfy tub so bad. I keep thinking about that tub that got cut up and I wish I could have teleported it into my apartment even though it wouldn’t fit

It was a long day of wallpapering today

https://youtu.be/sNgZFxAnKtA

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

BonoMan posted:

Awesome thanks so much for all of this! I was visiting my mom this weekend and she swears my grandmother bought it in England but I've come to learn her viewpoint is not very trustworthy
The table could definitely possibly be English, and really the dresser too. I associate that style with antebellum America, but we usually copied English styles. It's possible the either was made in England for the American market-the English made and exported alot of furniture in the 19th century- and unfortunately I'm really not expert enough to say for sure. If the secondary wood on the dresser was something other than pine that would help with a more precise origin, but pine was pretty ubiquitous in both countries at that time. The fact that the back is just two big wide boards, the wider dovetails, and the fact that I associate that style with the US make me lean American, but I really couldn't say with a ton of confidence. However, buying a dresser like that and shipping it back to the Mississippi delta is like carrying coals to Newcastle. There are a *ton* of those things floating around the white-columned houses parts of the deep south.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The table could definitely possibly be English, and really the dresser too. I associate that style with antebellum America, but we usually copied English styles. It's possible the either was made in England for the American market-the English made and exported alot of furniture in the 19th century- and unfortunately I'm really not expert enough to say for sure. If the secondary wood on the dresser was something other than pine that would help with a more precise origin, but pine was pretty ubiquitous in both countries at that time. The fact that the back is just two big wide boards, the wider dovetails, and the fact that I associate that style with the US make me lean American, but I really couldn't say with a ton of confidence. However, buying a dresser like that and shipping it back to the Mississippi delta is like carrying coals to Newcastle. There are a *ton* of those things floating around the white-columned houses parts of the deep south.

The secondary wood really looks like southern yellow pine to me. Could be wrong, but it’s distinctive.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Ha well doing something dumb like that would be *right* in line with that side of my family. She took me to Italy once and bought a giant elaborate game table to ship back for no real reason.

I'm going to take a closer gander this weekend and see if I can find any faint marks or anything.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

What color are the walls/rugs in the room? I think you'd want to coordinate with that. Otherwise I think I would go darker than the linen, maybe the walnut brown tweed, so it doesn't stand out as much against the dark balcony walls/railings.

If you could stain the deck a darker/greyer color to more closely match the interior floor or the exterior gray on the balcony walls I think that would look much better and the pretty wood of your table would stand out more.

Took me awhile to circle back to this, too many projects going at once.

Here's a picture of the room walls and rug. Sorry this is at night so it doesn't match quite right. The lighting is all 3500K so everything's a touch yellow.

I just restained the deck this summer and I'd like to avoid doing it again for awhile. I also can't touch the gray wall outside because its covered by the HOA rules (one of the few that actually affects me), and despite how much I hate it I doubt I'm going to change the floor anytime soon. The deck is actually gray underneath the wood too. It has some awful gritty coating that's basically what they paint the bottom of cheap pools with. The wood you see is sitting on top of that, with plenty of gap for water to run out.

I also accurately priced out what the fabric would cost, and it was enough that I started looking around for more options, and came across a site selling almost exactly what I want.

Instead of the color options in my previous post, here are my color and pattern options:
https://www.nationalpatiocovers.com/regent/Round--Table--Set--Cover/Round-Table-Set-Cover.html

I'm leaning towards dark blue but not thrilled with it. Maybe the blue striped one for fun?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I'm going to perform a little thread necromancy here.

I've got a stairwell and landing that I'm redoing, and I'm ready to pick a finish. I'm conflicted though. It's an old house, circa 1880, and all the woodwork (baseboard, window frames, door frames, stairs) are original old growth stuff, and unpainted. I'm going to leave them like that of course. But rather than just pick a coat of paint and go with it, I'd like to add some texture to the space. I really like trying to add texture to spaces, and doing it in a house with untouchable trim has proven to be a bitch.

Here's the space (there's a light at the bottom of the stairs now so it's not an inky black void):

What I'm looking for is alternatives to a simple coat of paint. In no particular order, ideas I've considered:

-Fabric sheets applied with starch

-Wallpaper

-Shadow lines

-3d tiles

-Wood panels

-Panels

-Multi-sheen painting

I love what each of these can do to a space in their own right, but that doesn't mean they'll work with my hallway. In particular, my natural wood trim feels like it would clash heavily with the shadow lines, 3d tiles, probably the wood panels, etc. There's also the question of cost on some of these - I'm looking at 300ish sq ft - and trying to install them around window/door frames. Whatever I choose will be installed on a slope too, since it's in a stairwell. Additionally our walls are lathe and plaster, so I wouldn't call them pockmarked, but they're not the mirror finish people get with skim coating drywall sheets.

The default will be basic paint and putting up pictures etc, but I'd really like to do something that adds more depth to the space. At the moment I'm leaning towards the applying fabric sheets with starch, but I'm concerned about how long it might last.

I'm open to feedback, opinions, ideas I haven't considered, etc.

The Wonder Weapon fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 8, 2022

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
My priority is ease of upkeep/cleaning. The shadow lines look great, but how good are they going to be in a really difficult place to reach after a couple of years of dust? The fabric sheets look good too, but it's an old house and there are plenty of bugs who love eating starch. If you don't have a ton of money and a serious housekeeper, these things are super important factors for your daily life.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah that's tough, my probably bad idea is paint that wall a really dark desaturated color and leave the stairwell as-is. It's just an awkward space and instead of drawing attention to it I would try to visually remove it.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
I have an antique woven coverlet from the mid-1800s hung on the wall of a similar landing. If you have the space on the wall I would consider it - you would get texture and color from something the original owners possibly had.

Coverlets like the ones here: http://www.coverletmuseum.org/coverlet.htm

They’re pretty reasonably priced for what they are. The one caveat would be if you get a lot of sun through the window that would fade the coverlet.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I hadn't even thought about bugs. We certainly get them. They eat starch? Enough that it's a concern?

I agree that daily maintenance is important, and I try to do all my design/decoration/landscaping/etc with that in mind. Lots of stuff looks cool, but I've got two small kids and no shortage of demands on my time, so "set it and forget it" is the most critical feature of anything I do. While I wish I had a housekeeper - maybe some day - today is not that day.

The coverlet is similar to another idea I've seen, which is applying fabric to a panel of some sort that hangs on the wall. Gives you some texture and depth in a space in a way that is easy to put together, clean and replace, etc. I have considered it. There is a decent amount of light on the landing, but it's not like 8+ hours of direct sun. It's mostly ambient light. My primary concern there is it would be difficult to then hang any sort of picture on top of the panel. It's an old house and there are precious few wall spaces that are free of door frames or windows, so picture hanging space is at a premium.

Another idea I had was creating a sort of on-the-wall fabric frame. Use basic chair rail mounted to the wall to create a frame, and starch fabric to the wall just in that section. Something like this, but more full length.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Those stairs look like they could use some brightening up. Perhaps you need to install a window at floor level on the landing.

Also, your home will be more energy efficient if the stairs were insulated.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I'm open to feedback, opinions, ideas I haven't considered, etc.

Wallpaper (whether actually paper or fabric, which I don’t understand how it’s functionally any different than paper) gets my vote. Anything very modern will clash with the nice wood trim imo, which rules out shadow lines, 3d tiles, or wood panels. Stick with what’s period-appropriate. Panels would arguably be ok too, but I think they’d look a little out-of-place if you only do the stairway. You can do a chair rail with wallpaper above and panels below if you think the full wallpaper wall would be too much (like in a bunch of pictures here). It’s a classic look, and you can diy it on the cheap if you’re reasonably handy and own a miter saw.

Definitely also replace the boob light! That’s on the list right? Wall sconces would be an excellent choice which would also help add some texture, though maybe only at the bottom of the stairs since I don’t think that window leaves you enough room for one at the top landing.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
If you haven’t already, look up Aesthetic Movement and Arts and Craft Movement for interior design. An 1880 house* with that trim is the perfect time to get some William Morris wallpaper! I have zero experience with the starch glued fabric, but it feels like it will last 5 years rather than 20. Maybe that’s good enough?

*actual period-accurate rather than period-appropriate may technically be like sickly green lead paint or colonial scene wallpaper. I think there are some real experts in here if you wanted to get into that

ohhyeah fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Nov 9, 2022

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

hypnophant posted:

Wallpaper (whether actually paper or fabric, which I don’t understand how it’s functionally any different than paper) gets my vote. Anything very modern will clash with the nice wood trim imo, which rules out shadow lines, 3d tiles, or wood panels. Stick with what’s period-appropriate. Panels would arguably be ok too, but I think they’d look a little out-of-place if you only do the stairway. You can do a chair rail with wallpaper above and panels below if you think the full wallpaper wall would be too much (like in a bunch of pictures here). It’s a classic look, and you can diy it on the cheap if you’re reasonably handy and own a miter saw.

Definitely also replace the boob light! That’s on the list right? Wall sconces would be an excellent choice which would also help add some texture, though maybe only at the bottom of the stairs since I don’t think that window leaves you enough room for one at the top landing.

Agree with all of this. We did the split chair rail look years ago in out first house (minus the wallpaper) and were very happy with it.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

wesleywillis posted:

Those stairs look like they could use some brightening up. Perhaps you need to install a window at floor level on the landing.

Also, your home will be more energy efficient if the stairs were insulated.
I know this is a beastmaster joke but I did install a light down there (and got rid of the boob light)

hypnophant posted:

Agree that going too modern will clash. I did consider a chair rail, and I'm capable of diying that. What gives me pause about that is that it would be the only spot in the house with that treatment. That would be sort of odd, right? Like you'll have this living room with multiple chairs that won't have a chair rail, then you'll walk into a stairwell that has them? What do you think?

ohhyeah posted:

If you haven’t already, look up Aesthetic Movement and Arts and Craft Movement for interior design. An 1880 house* with that trim is the perfect time to get some William Morris wallpaper! I have zero experience with the starch glued fabric, but it feels like it will last 5 years rather than 20. Maybe that’s good enough?
*actual period-accurate rather than period-appropriate may technically be like sickly green lead paint or colonial scene wallpaper. I think there are some real experts in here if you wanted to get into that
Aesthetic movement is for people without kids, that's for sure. I'm primarily going with MCM inspired furniture/design. I know that everyone and their brother is into it, but I've liked it for decades, and I've found it to be a style that I enjoy that will also work with the style of this house. I like some really wild super modern stuff, but that doesn't fit in this house, so I'm leaving that all behind.

That William Morris stuff is beautiful but it would be like, $3,000 to do this hallway. A bit out of my price range.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I know this is a beastmaster joke but I did install a light down there (and got rid of the boob light)

:wrong: it's a Groverhaus joke. Obviously you don't have enough background in goon architecture to properly remodel your space and should leave it up to the pros (us - we're the pros do whatever we say).

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

drat I got my something awful architectural war crimes mixed up

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Agree that going too modern will clash. I did consider a chair rail, and I'm capable of diying that. What gives me pause about that is that it would be the only spot in the house with that treatment. That would be sort of odd, right? Like you'll have this living room with multiple chairs that won't have a chair rail, then you'll walk into a stairwell that has them? What do you think?

I think it depends on the layout of the house, but it wouldn’t be too jarring as long as you can find an unobtrusive spot to transition it. It might look a little odd if you just stop on corner or something, but if you have some other piece of trim to butt up against like a doorway, cased entryway, or maybe even a corner closet or something it’ll be ok. I wouldn’t worry about other rooms - I doubt most people will even notice. Worst case, if it does make it seem like a chair rail is “missing” from another room, you can just add one more chair rail

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I vote for an anaglypta dado

Snowy fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 9, 2022

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

There's a clear distinction between the adjacent living room and stairwell - a step up through a fully framed passage - so there's a visual break. Probably fine.

I'm browsing mcm interiors and I don't see a grand amount of chair rail, but there's definitely some. And I don't have the sweeping wall/glass spaces that the true mcm houses have, so stuff like this is fine.

There is a lot of wood on the walls though. What does one search for if they want this type of product?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

There is a lot of wood on the walls though. What does one search for if they want this type of product?

This is a good start

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not

No, it’s plywood

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

BigFactory posted:

No, it’s plywood

Yeah it's probably plywood with a cosmetic quality veneer and marching wood steps to cover the gaps.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

That's what I'm asking I guess; is there appearance-grade plywood I'm looking for here?

e: oh yeah I forgot to mention, one of the walls has a curved surface. that makes using chair rail a lot more questionable

The Wonder Weapon fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 9, 2022

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Birch plywood looks nice

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

That's what I'm asking I guess; is there appearance-grade plywood I'm looking for here?

Do you have a hardwood store nearby? There's one near me that sells high quality plywood with hardwood veneer.

Examples here - http://www.crosscuthardwoods.com/cabinet-plywood.html

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

We have a industry-leading veneer manufacturer in the area so probably. I'll poke through their website and see what's available.

I called a local place for a quote and it's about $2,000 to have wallpaper put up in a 300sqft stairwell. Brutal

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

BonoMan posted:

Images (excuse the loving casters which I'm sure my dad added in the 50s or 60s):
Casters are quite common in old furniture, going as far back as the 1700s. Don't remove those until you've shown the furniture to an expert. I'll defer to the goon who knows the style on the quality of those two pieces. As far as the value, that depends very much on where you are selling them. I've seen it said fairly often that "nobody [under 50] wants to buy brown furniture, silver, or china." It doesn't matter how expensive the furniture was in the day, it matters whether people perceive it as valuable now. On the coasts, mid-century modern / Scandinavian furniture sells itself, but 19th-century is a drug on the market. You aren't going to get a lot of money for those unless you find an area where mahogany is still chic. Parts of the American South, maybe.

If it were me, I'd walk through a local antique/junk store to see if I saw other furniture in a similar style or at least wood there, and how it was priced.

e: TheWonderWeapon, you should enjoy looking at the Bradbury & Bradbury website. You might consider framing one of the friezes?

Note especially Colinas de Oro

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 9, 2022

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

e: oh yeah I forgot to mention, one of the walls has a curved surface. that makes using chair rail a lot more questionable

you can potentially kerf bend it, depending on how you’re planning to finish it.

cabinet grade or finish grade plywood is what you want. be prepared to shell out.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Ymmv but I would want to highlight the original old-growth hardwood, not put up a ton of inevitably inferior plywood to distract from it. It's a little dark stairwell, without even enough room for a chair or a bookcase or anything, right? I would just paint it in an interesting light color, hang some art, and give more thought and money to the rooms where you'll be spending time. It's okay if a little hallway is a palate cleaner and not a showpiece.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Anne Whateley posted:

Ymmv but I would want to highlight the original old-growth hardwood, not put up a ton of inevitably inferior plywood to distract from it. It's a little dark stairwell, without even enough room for a chair or a bookcase or anything, right? I would just paint it in an interesting light color, hang some art, and give more thought and money to the rooms where you'll be spending time. It's okay if a little hallway is a palate cleaner and not a showpiece.

Very much agreed. That is drat fine woodwork and it should be the star of the show. The absolute most I would do with that space is install a wallpaper with a small, exquisite, maybe even modern pattern that's expressed more by variance in texture than differences in color so that it stays subtle, replace the boob light with a cool MCM or deco fixture (and possibly add MCM sconces), and put up some neato modern arts on the wall.

If I could only do a single thing, I'd improve the light fixture, then paint a better (solid) color, then consider wallpaper.

Unless you get your paneling milled by a top notch millwork shop from grade AAA+++ knot-free quarter-sawn heartwood timber and take care to make it period correct in its design, it's going to look like cheap add-on poo poo that will distract from rather than enhance the woodwork that's already there.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists
We're adding a shower and we're trying to pick out tile for it and we're kind of stuck between a few options and I figured I'd see what folks had to say!

This is going to end up being a very large shower (5'x5') connected to a bathroom. The bathroom vanity and mirror is going to basically be this:

The wall covering for the main bathroom area is going to be a mural wall paper (ignore the lines, that's showing how the 4 panels map):

What we're stuck on is the tile. We had a selection of tile and design that we really liked, but it included a marble floor and a marble accent and we're told that marble tends to stain when used inside of a shower and due to the specific marble we selected and our design, using marble on the accent would cost about $5k extra purely in labor costs. So they've selected a few extra options for us that they felt matched the look but that resolve those issues, but we're kind of hemming and hawwing between them.

Our original plan had the #1 tile on the floor of the bathroom, until it hit the shower curb. Once in the shower it would have tile #3 on the floor (marble hexagons) and would reuse tile #1 going about 2/3 of the way up the 3 shower walls. Then the top 1/3 would use tile #2 the whole way around the shower walls as a marble accent.

What we've been told is that the marble tiles tend to stain, particularly when used on a shower floor, and the "dog bone" style of #2 is particularly difficult to install because the curved lines make it really hard to make the corners look good versus something like #6 which is the same marble as #2, just in a "basket weave" instead of a "dog bone" pattern.

We really like the marble because it ties together with the vanity top, and helps the bathroom look light and "glam", but we've kind of decided that if staining is a concern we don't want to use it on the shower floor since that is the highest risk area for staining (but we're less concerned about the wall since shampoos and such won't be sitting directly on it as much).

The contractor really likes the way tile #5 for the shower floor, with tile #1 2/3 up the wall and then tile #7 on the top 1/3 would look, and we think it would look good together, but something about it feels like it's a different style than our vanity and wall covering.

We were looking at #4 for the floors since it's sort of like a porcelain version of our initial floor (#3), but something about it feels like a public restroom to us.

We're considering #5 for the floors, #1 for the bottom 2/3, and then #6 for the accent, but we're hesitant to do that because it feels like #5 and #6 together might also be different styles?

We're not super great at design stuff, so maybe our fears of these things not meshing together is unfounded, but maybe goons have a better idea if some combination of these tiles would look good in a shower (which has a "luxe gold" hardware throughout, like a less yellow gold).

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

all HM is 20% off at DWR, I've never seen that before. seems like a lot of that is happening now with the economy being hosed

whoever mentioned marble issues in a shower is absolutely correct. I just had a walk-in shower done, the floor and back of niche was a hex matte very similar to #4, and the walls were a 3x12 vertical stacked bond. Porcelain is definitely the way to go, and you want to use glossy for the wall tile and matte for the floor tile, first for ease of cleaning, second for reduced slippage. I would also highly recommend a niche. since I have 10' ceilings I went up 8' with the tile

https://www.katelotile.com/find-tile/lakeside-glazed-wall-tile/ (white)

https://www.katelotile.com/find-tile/porcelart-trendy-mosaics/ (2" hex matte white")

here's some pics of how it turned out https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770037&userid=32790&perpage=40&pagenumber=9

for your situation, I'm sure there is porcelain tile that looks like marble you can find. Also you didn't mention fixtures, but I would match the fixtures to this luxe gold thing you have going on. Grohe has a color called "brush cooled sunrise" which you might like.

https://www.grohe.us/Showers/Shower-Heads-list?f=computedcolorcodesap%3DBrushed%20Cool%20Sunrise

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 12, 2022

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

actionjackson posted:

all HM is 20% off at DWR, I've never seen that before. seems like a lot of that is happening now with the economy being hosed

Ah yes. HMs. For my DWR. Got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I love this thread and I hope goons continue to post in it.

I get to live vicariously through you :)

ohhyeah posted: