Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I think it's pretty obvious the poo poo in the Bible wasn't made up from scratch and if you give any fucks about history (you should! even if it's only the parts that interest you) it's certainly worth investigating what real inspiration it drew from for its stories

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I think it's pretty obvious the poo poo in the Bible wasn't made up from scratch and if you give any fucks about history (you should! even if it's only the parts that interest you) it's certainly worth investigating what real inspiration it drew from for its stories
It wasn't made up from scratch because... it was plagiarized from other religions. That doesn't mean it has any historical basis.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
God revealed himself to Moses in a burning bush that wasn't consumed by the flames. If God isn't real then explain that libtards

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

mystes posted:

It wasn't made up from scratch because... it was plagiarized from other religions. That doesn't mean it has any historical basis.
"the bible" is a huge collection of texts, all from different eras, some more factual than others. itt i've only been talking about genesis, a collected oral history that was occasionally inspired by stories that came in from elsewhere but mostly concerned with the direct experiences of the people telling the stories. they didn't start out going "let's make up a bunch of poo poo to terrify the rest of the world with our angry patron deity", they just wanted a record of important stuff that actually happened to them, like famines and asteroids. if a person believes in an omnipotent creator who can't be directly depicted by human artistry, a factual timeline of history is as close to a portrait of that entity as you will get.

some of the stranger stuff came from shamans who wandered in from the steppes, and if you don't respect the shamans, i don't respect you.

a strange fowl has issued a correction as of 00:13 on Nov 13, 2022

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Mayor Dave posted:

God revealed himself to Moses in a burning bush that wasn't consumed by the flames. If God isn't real then explain that libtards

:2bong:

mystes
May 31, 2006

quote:

they just wanted a record of important stuff that actually happened to them, like famines and asteroids
There is a huge difference between myths to explain stuff about the world and "factual stuff that actually happened". A lot of stuff in the bible is probably the former and there is no particular reason to conclude that it is factual without specific evidence of that.

Like most myths from other cultures don't get treated as a "factual record" so I'm not sure why the old testament is so special except that Christianity happens to be the dominant religion in the place most goons are from?

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

was it someone in this thread who recommended Patrick Nunn's 'The Edge of Memory', which makes a compelling (if repetitive) case that some Australian oral traditions (from dozens of aboriginal groups) date back 12K+ years?
I find it funny that so many scholarly books, in arguing that the ancients understood the denuding influences of agriculture, refer to Plato's Critias as a sort of smoking gun, despite its being about the mythical atlantis.
I don't know why one should be any more or less trustworthy than another (bible vs plato); although in practice it seems like these connections are only made (or at least perceived as meaningful) on the basis of subsequently-discovered material evidence.

To be clear, I am definitely pro-bible-chat. edit: and pro-gettin'-mad-at-bible-chat :chaostrump:

take_it_slow has issued a correction as of 00:17 on Nov 13, 2022

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

what do you think the foundational myth of the post-humans will be, and do you think it will involve the new world arising from the remains of the old world that has been consumed by a ravenous flaming beast with an unyielding hunger?

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

lmao that the COP is being held in the Lamborghini Convention Center and is unbearably cold inside from too much air conditioning, too hot outside from being a desert, has no food, and involves long confusing treks and harassment by armed guards

no foreshadowing here,

apparently the other day the portable toilets burst and were leaking all over the exit

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

a strange fowl posted:

"the bible" is a huge collection of texts, all from different eras, some more factual than others. itt i've only been talking about genesis, a collected oral history that was occasionally inspired by stories that came in from elsewhere but mostly concerned with the direct experiences of the people telling the stories. they didn't start out going "let's make up a bunch of poo poo to terrify the rest of the world with our angry patron deity", they just wanted a record of important stuff that actually happened to them, like famines and asteroids. if a person believes in an omnipotent creator who can't be directly depicted by human artistry, a factual timeline of history is as close to a portrait of that entity as you will get.

some of the stranger stuff came from shamans who wandered in from the steppes, and if you don't respect the shamans, i don't respect you.

i have nothing but respect for the shamans

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

mystes posted:

specific evidence
don't you threaten me

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

blatman posted:

i have nothing but respect for the shamans

zug zug

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

take_it_slow posted:

was it someone in this thread who recommended Patrick Nunn's 'The Edge of Memory', which makes a compelling (if repetitive) case that some Australian oral traditions (from dozens of aboriginal groups) date back 12K+ years?
that book does a great job linking the stories to evidence of geological events. that level of respect and validation of indigenous knowledge was and is groundbreaking for a western author, unfortunately. at the same time it's a frustrating read, because he also keeps saying that humans originated in africa and migrated to australia via asia, and drawing conclusions about the maximum age of the stories from that assumption. many of these same traditions state clearly that the people didn't come from anywhere else, they evolved into humans exactly where they are. their histories go back way further than twelve thousand years, it's just that white scientists won't accept that because it would disrupt the single origin theory of human evolution.

which, in turn, comes from a flawed interpretation of the book of genesis. the text states that humans were created all over the world, presumably each in their own gardens, and then adam was made out of dust in the levant. but the assumption that every single human in the world is descended from a single pair in a single geographical location permeates science completely. it's frustrating to see how the single origin theory holds back the work of researchers like nunn.

a strange fowl has issued a correction as of 01:33 on Nov 13, 2022

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

dieselfruit posted:

what do you think the foundational myth of the post-humans will be, and do you think it will involve the new world arising from the remains of the old world that has been consumed by a ravenous flaming beast with an unyielding hunger?

Mystical ancients who's abuse of magic lead to the destruction of the world

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

dieselfruit posted:

A slightly distorted depiction of Tim Currey's Hexxus and Frank Zappa's Yellow Snow will be the only extant remnants of human culture for thousands of years and will be foundational to the mythology of corvus sapiens. 'wrathful and wet' will be the human legacy

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

a strange fowl posted:

that book does a great job linking the stories to evidence of geological events. that level of respect and validation of indigenous knowledge was and is groundbreaking for a western author, unfortunately. at the same time it's a frustrating read, because he also keeps saying that humans originated in africa and migrated to australia via asia, and drawing conclusions about the maximum age of the stories from that assumption. many of these same traditions state clearly that the people didn't come from anywhere else, they evolved into humans exactly where they are. their histories go back way further than twelve thousand years, it's just that white scientists won't accept that because it would disrupt the single origin theory of human evolution.

which, in turn, comes from a flawed interpretation of the book of genesis. the text states that humans were created all over the world, presumably each in their own gardens, and then adam was made out of dust in the levant. but the assumption that every single human in the world is descended from a single pair in a single geographical location permeates science completely. it's frustrating to see how the single origin theory holds back the work of researchers like nunn.

what's your favorite secret message encoded in the bible?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Blockade posted:

Mystical ancients who's abuse of magic lead to the destruction of the world

we dug the spirits of the ancient dead out of the ground and used their power to do wondrous and magical things. in exchange those spirits poisoned the air, water, and soil. they unleashed fire, floods, droughts, and plagues in retribution for our energy greed.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

dieselfruit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WanRFNtFwGI

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Would Ned Flanders lie to me :thunk:

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

That is how we're deserved to be remembered.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

jetz0r posted:

what's your favorite secret message encoded in the bible?
men only want to worship themselves and it takes a hell of a show to convince them not to

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

look, once this economic foundation is strong, we're on easy street

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

a strange fowl posted:

their histories go back way further than twelve thousand years, it's just that white scientists won't accept that because it would disrupt the single origin theory of human evolution.

This is just objectively wrong though, it's common knowledge people have been in Austalia for way more than 12 millenia, and it doesn't have any bearing on human evolution, you have a bizarre understanding of the lengths of time involved in this poo poo. Also shutup.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Egg Moron posted:

I'm imagining "economic foundation" meaning something like Asimov's Foundation except it will exist to guide post collapse civilization back to collateralized debt obligations and leveraged buyouts

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

mystes posted:

I'm imagining "economic foundation" meaning something like Asimov's Foundation except it will exist to guide post collapse civilization back to collateralized debt obligations and leveraged buyouts

The few survivors of The Great Burn will regress back to being primitive hunter-gatherers, occasionally tribes will meet to exchange their youth in arranged marriages and discuss their debt portfolios.

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

all history is fake, oral history is double fake

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
original sin replaced with original debt

the slave caste must eternally pay off their sins and the kindness of being given life by the Masters until death, the great jubilee

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

a strange fowl posted:

Plz stop you dont know anything about religion.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

dieselfruit posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterworld#Plot

they'll think we're a myth if they even think of us at all

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

take_it_slow posted:

I find it funny that so many scholarly books, in arguing that the ancients understood the denuding influences of agriculture, refer to Plato's Critias as a sort of smoking gun, despite its being about the mythical atlantis.
it's the egyptian story of troy, imo he figured it out and that's why he never finished it

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Plz stop you dont know anything about religion.
i am religion

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Hubbert posted:

original sin replaced with original debt

the slave caste must eternally pay off their sins and the kindness of being given life by the Masters until death, the great jubilee

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

a strange fowl posted:

i am religion

who's rereg are you

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Cloks posted:

who's rereg are you

Not much, who's rereg with you?

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Cloks posted:

who's rereg are you
we are all just reregs of generations that came before

The Cut of Your Jib
Apr 24, 2007

you don't find a style

a style finds you

the monomyth is just a dude making GBS threads in a puddle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZmEro_ODqc&t=1511s

kater
Nov 16, 2010

the cringe is inside the thread again

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

kater posted:

the cringe is inside the thread again

a strange fowl is one of ArfJason's better gimmicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Egg Moron posted:

rudy will await your foundation