Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Really all the penultimate and ultimate HW relics are great. At least you can skip the first step by throwing the ARR relic into an aetheric wood chipper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Bruh I'm lvl 16 in Eureka and FFXIV is just truly beginning for this sprout

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Shinjobi posted:

Bruh I'm lvl 16 in Eureka and FFXIV is just truly beginning for this sprout

Look forward to your adventures! There's lots of fun to be had in Eorzea Eureka.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Eureka is fun but I would definitely join a group for it if you can or else it will take literally forever.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Feldegast42 posted:

Eureka is fun but I would definitely join a group for it if you can or else it will take literally forever.

Hahahaha forever? What even is that. Hey, pop a squat and let me tell you about the time I made a Twashtar in FFXI. It was the glorious year of 1965, and...

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yoshi-p has committed a great crime against me personally.

I cannot obtain this hat.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Yoshi-p you can name your goddamn price for that hat I want it immediately.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's one of the rewards they give out for the weapon design contests and the like.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Relyssa posted:

Yoshi-p you can name your goddamn price for that hat I want it immediately.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Stormblood:

Ouch.

Ouch. (I feel like with the sound effects and dramatic angles, that was a reference in Japanese to some sort of comedy show, but the translators made it work here, too)

I... You know what, sure, fine. I will play cards with the otter just as soon as I finish his sidequests. (Fake e: His ruleset is Reverse, Plus, Swap)

I was not expecting uniting the Japanese Imperial Treasures That Appear In Every JRPG to summon a primal.

This is no time for flimsy justification of game mechanics, Lyse!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
R E V E L R Y

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

They should've just had it be Susano using his powers to go get your adventurer pals since he's cool and just wants a fun fight.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
Is there a consensus on classes that are more or less controller friendly? Any of the healers better or worse? I'm starting fresh on a new character playing on PS5 (not new to the game - but haven't played in a year+). I'm surprised at how well the controls work once you sit down and figure it out.

I'm almost to the point where I can leave Ul'dah and pick up other classes and am still trying to decide which one or two to main for now. I'm thinking of leveling a DPS and a healer to get shorter queues for the dungeons along the way.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Astrologian and Scholar would be worse on controller. Both have more buttons than their counterparts, and Astrologian has a lot more target switching and weaving going on. Both are feasible and usable, but those two definitely have their issues.

Conjurer/White Mage is your only option at the start anyways, unless you went Arcanist/Scholar(and Summoner).

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Just level scholar, so you get the benefit of leveling a summoner at the same time. While at high levels sch/ast are a lot of target switching and ogcds, for leveling in dungeons and even a lot of trials/raids, the fairy does 80-90% of the actual healing work anyway.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Dareon posted:

This is no time for flimsy justification of game mechanics, Lyse!

:keke:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Some of the tanks have a ton of buttons, particularly Paladin - though it has a few borderline-useless skills that could be shaved off and might be able to fit. Its core rotation is also not a shitton of buttons, so I imagine most of the important tools could be placed on comfortable hotbar spots.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

CodfishCartographer posted:

Some of the tanks have a ton of buttons, particularly Paladin - though it has a few borderline-useless skills that could be shaved off and might be able to fit. Its core rotation is also not a shitton of buttons, so I imagine most of the important tools could be placed on comfortable hotbar spots.

My PLD hotbars have everything except Shield Bash on them, and I could get Shield Bash in if I didn't have my third hotbar set up with cross-class utility.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's a, ah, contentious topic but a plugin exists that allows condensation of buttons such as your 1-2-3 and 1-2 AoE basic combos on the non healer classes into one button each. It offers less savings to healers cuz they don't have sequential combo attacks but there are still options there to save button assignment space.

Then there's macros, which are indisputably part of the game, but have their own problems. Just a couple ways to compress your buttons for controller play, or a less busy keyboard.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
It never ceases to amuse me how utterly necessary macros were in FFXI, and how utterly useless they are (in combat) in FFXIV.

Though to be fair that's because most FFXI macros involved changing multiple gear pieces around mid-combat to get the most out of specific skills, so everyone would be constantly blinking in and out while their character models updated.

I wish FFXIV macros had more utility in combat but I like the accessibility. Especially since it's still controller-friendly.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
My suspicion would be that the easiest DPS to play on controller would be the ones that can move freely without needing to worry about positionals or interrupting casts, since you can’t use your thumbs to hit both the left stick and the left buttons at the same time.

That’s just a suspicion, though, because I didn’t vibe with ARC/BRD, haven’t gotten around to leveling MCH, and still haven’t even unlocked DNC.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

It never ceases to amuse me how utterly necessary macros were in FFXI, and how utterly useless they are (in combat) in FFXIV.

Though to be fair that's because most FFXI macros involved changing multiple gear pieces around mid-combat to get the most out of specific skills, so everyone would be constantly blinking in and out while their character models updated.

I wish FFXIV macros had more utility in combat but I like the accessibility. Especially since it's still controller-friendly.

Must make a macro to go thorugh your entire rotation, and hit it every 2 minutes!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Having a lot of buttons does not make a class controller unfriendly. If anything it makes it keyboard unfriendly. Buttons are bad for default controller settings, because the defaults are miserable and the way to make it not suck is buried deep within menus without clear explanation. The op has a link to a guide to unfuck it though I think

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

girl dick energy posted:

My suspicion would be that the easiest DPS to play on controller would be the ones that can move freely without needing to worry about positionals or interrupting casts, since you can’t use your thumbs to hit both the left stick and the left buttons at the same time.

That’s just a suspicion, though, because I didn’t vibe with ARC/BRD, haven’t gotten around to leveling MCH, and still haven’t even unlocked DNC.

This problem is almost entirely solved by putting gcds on face buttons and ogcds on the d pad

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Macros have some use in combat if you accept their inability to queue and perhaps are OK with being a bit suboptimal. Example 1: I macro Spirits Within with Circle of Scorn on PLD. They're both 30s oGCD damage moves. So long as I'm careful to wait a heartbeat to hit the button after doing a GCD (and accepting that some GCD animations make this tough) my macro auto weaves in the two moves for me and I save a hotbar spot. Example 2: I macro Lucid Dreaming to Combust on AST. There's a risk that I have to scoot immediately after the Combust cast and lose the Lucid, and this method won't be using Lucid on cooldown, but generally it works smooth as butter to throw out Lucid every second Combust and save me a hotbar spot. Lucid isn't something I find myself needing to do right on CD anyway.

I have about 2 or 3 combat macros per job along those general lines, matching up moves with shared cooldown timers.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

cheetah7071 posted:

This problem is almost entirely solved by putting gcds on face buttons and ogcds on the d pad

I actually find it easiest to put OGCDs on nested hotbars, since many jobs have more than just four OGCDs you'll wanna use. So say you're holding down R2 for your main rotation or whatever, you can hit X, hold L2, hit whatever OGCDs then release it, hit Square, hold L2 for the next OGCDs, etc.

SuperKlaus posted:

Macros have some use in combat if you accept their inability to queue and perhaps are OK with being a bit suboptimal. Example 1: I macro Spirits Within with Circle of Scorn on PLD. They're both 30s oGCD damage moves. So long as I'm careful to wait a heartbeat to hit the button after doing a GCD (and accepting that some GCD animations make this tough) my macro auto weaves in the two moves for me and I save a hotbar spot. Example 2: I macro Lucid Dreaming to Combust on AST. There's a risk that I have to scoot immediately after the Combust cast and lose the Lucid, and this method won't be using Lucid on cooldown, but generally it works smooth as butter to throw out Lucid every second Combust and save me a hotbar spot. Lucid isn't something I find myself needing to do right on CD anyway.

I have about 2 or 3 combat macros per job along those general lines, matching up moves with shared cooldown timers.

You can also use macros to automatically drop placeable AOEs on targets, or to use spells via mouse-over instead of targeting.

Much easier to do these with illegal addons, but still

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

should call them wackros

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

SuperKlaus posted:

Just so you're aware, you're going to inevitably lost some gcd uptime if you macro and gcd skill like combust, because macros don't give you any grace window for timing your gcd press.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CodfishCartographer posted:

I actually find it easiest to put OGCDs on nested hotbars, since many jobs have more than just four OGCDs you'll wanna use. So say you're holding down R2 for your main rotation or whatever, you can hit X, hold L2, hit whatever OGCDs then release it, hit Square, hold L2 for the next OGCDs, etc.

You can also use macros to automatically drop placeable AOEs on targets, or to use spells via mouse-over instead of targeting.

Much easier to do these with illegal addons, but still

you have 12 easily accessible slots on the d-pad though, not four

L+d-pad, R+d-pad, and L+R+d-pad

another four if you distinguish L+R from R+L

another 8 on the W cross hotbars, which are a bit inconvenient but a perfect place for things like feint/addle and potions, which you want to keep track of the CDs on but press rarely

I send L+R and R+L to the same location and I have tons of empty slots, often in prime real estate, on every class. You just get a shitton of buttons once you check the boxes in the configuration which really ought to be on by default

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Having played all healers on a controller I can definitely say White Mage is really the easiest option, no surprise there. At 80 I'm running out of buttons for SCH, AST is kinda okay but the cards are like 3 buttons I wish I could ditch, and SGE never worked for me, I leveled it without going into any dungeons, trials, or raids.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

girl dick energy posted:

At least on asymmetric layouts (xbox-style) I learned how to stretch my right hand to hit the d-pad when I'm moving. hosed me up for a bit when I started using my Steam Deck since it's not exactly practical to stretch a thumb across the screen.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

new summoner is A++ on controllers, and you'll get sch in the bargain

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mainwaring posted:

Just so you're aware, you're going to inevitably lost some gcd uptime if you macro and gcd skill like combust, because macros don't give you any grace window for timing your gcd press.

Yeah that's from the inability to queue and acceptance of being a little suboptimal. I figure AST, the only class where I macro a GCD with anything, can afford it because it's literally the lowest personal damage class in the game to begin with. And more importantly I have yet to get involved with serious endgame content versus dungeons with bros.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

parasyte posted:

At least on asymmetric layouts (xbox-style) I learned how to stretch my right hand to hit the d-pad when I'm moving. hosed me up for a bit when I started using my Steam Deck since it's not exactly practical to stretch a thumb across the screen.

The secret tech is to make the trackpad on the right side of the steam deck mimic your d-pad, that way you can press it with your right hand while still moving.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
Oh man the psuedo-trusts they created for the MSQ dungeons is such a nice feature. It really makes playing through the story so much easier. It honestly wasn't much slower than a real party and zero queue as DPS.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

Pobrecito posted:

Oh man the psuedo-trusts they created for the MSQ dungeons is such a nice feature. It really makes playing through the story so much easier. It honestly wasn't much slower than a real party and zero queue as DPS.

Duty support is really useful, I just with they would use aoes :D Also roaming certain dungeons MSQ with your NPC bros has a lot of charm

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Not using AoEs is a huuuuuuge drawback to them and I have no idea why they don't. Gambit have existed since FF12, you'd think "if enemies > 3, then use AoE" would be simple. But I'm also no programmer, so....

I guess it's just further encouragement to use them when you're DPS rather than goofing off on healer or tank.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's not a programming issue, it is a deliberate design decision. Trusts and Duty Support are intended to give you a consistent level of performance through a dungeon, but at a slower pace than would be possible with a group of players. So they don't use AOEs as a deliberate way to have you go a bit slower.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah if they used aoes then there's be very little reason to NOT use them, and it could have a negative impact on queue population

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Those points do make sense, thank you. I just sometimes wish they could be a smidgen faster the few times I've tried using them as DPS. Then again I'm normally the type to queue and then dork around doing something else until I hear it pop, so queue times normally don't bother me much.